NATION

PASSWORD

Rick Santorum: "There Are No Classes In America"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Rick Santorum: "There Are No Classes In America"

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Basically, since we supposedly allow for social mobility (which we don't do as well as other nations, but that's another issue) class isn't a real thing in America. In other words, there are "middle income" people, but not "middle class" people, a distinction that I can't see appealing to anyone at all, including middle class voters. Also, if you bring up issues of class, you're playing into the hands of the Marxists.

"Don't use the term the other side uses. What does Barack Obama talk about all the time? The middle class," he said at a fundraiser hosted by the Lyon County GOP. "Since when in America do we have classes? Since when in America are people stuck in areas or defined places called a class? That's Marxism talk."

He continued, "When Republicans get up and talk about middle class, we're buying into their rhetoric of dividing America. Stop it. There's no class in America. Call them on it."

This is the "If we pretend that it doesn't exist, then it'll go away as an issue" perspective in American politics, the same one that argues that if we just stop tracking how people of different races are doing in the United States, then race will eventually stop being an issue. It's magical thinking. It's the mindset that causes people to think that if they ignore the suspicious lump rather than going to a doctor, then everything will turn out okay. And, finally, it's one of many reasons that Senator Santorum is utterly unfit to be elected to a local water board, much less a Senate seat or the Oval Office.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm

"Also there are no races or sexes," said the rich white male. "Isn't that nice? Now nobody has to protest anything ever again!"
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm

To be fair, considering the Senator's lack of class, I could see how he could make this mistake.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:To be fair, considering the Senator's lack of class, I could see how he could make this mistake.

Zing!
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Not sure if lying, complete idiot, or both.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I think that the left wing often overplays the importance of classes, but to completely deny that classes exist, is equally, if not more, stupid.

EDIT: typos
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Shine on, you crazy ass-diamond. I need the laugh.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm

"That's Marxist talk"

Does he have any idea of what he's talking about?

And if there are "no classes" then wtf have you been doing this whole time, Mr Santorum?

Talking about the middle class.
Last edited by Blasveck on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever a Communist

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I think this is where he would get spit on by a million+ lower class black/white/latino people if he weren't surrounded by $50,000 per day security.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Remind me why this ignorant man is in congress?
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Spartan Philidelphia
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartan Philidelphia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm just thankful they've raised chocolate rations to 20 grams.
Spartan Philidelphia
Region: Sparta
[Defunct] National Corporation:
The Spartan Philidelphia Almost Anything Corporation
Leader: Luigi Mario
National Religion: Pastafarianism
Population: 50,420,000

Thank you all powerful moderators who were sent by Max Barry to protect us from all things spammy and trollish.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 pm

That's enough from you, Rick Santorum. Back to the sanitarium.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:I think that the left wing often overplays the importasnce of classes, but to completely deny that classes exist, is equally, if not more, stuppid.

As someone on that wing, I agree that it's a debatable subject. But, as you stated, it's stupid to deny their existence.

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Remind me why this ignorant man is in congress?

Because it's Congress, that's why. :P
I'm a Christian and an avid Star Wars fan!!!
My nation generally reflects my views, but don't entirely assume that. Also, I like telegrams. Please telegram me!

Member of Transversal Red Cross and Western Coalition. IATA Member
Political compass-
Economic left/right: -3.25
Social libertarian/authoritarianism: 0.0

“We know nothing of religion here: we only think of Christ.” -C.S. Lewis.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”-C.S. Lewis.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

He's a former congressman and no longer a senator or representative.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

While I disagree, I should say the great thing about being an american is and always has been you can change classes if your smart, diligent and hardworking enough. Look at all the people who have gone from being poor or middle class to being billionaire almost overnight. Heck, african Americans were slaves in america only 150 years ago and yet now Oprah is the worlds richest woman. Yes Rick their are classes, but no liberals they don't really matter that much because they aren't absolutes. you can start poor and stay or start poor and get rich or start rich and become poor many sometimes you can cycle through these more than in a lifetime.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:

He's a former congressman and no longer a senator or representative.

Really? Oh thank god!
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

If anything, class identity and conflict is even more pronounced in the United States than in other developed nations.
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Seems legit.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:That's enough from you, Rick Santorum. Back to the sanitarium.

The Rick Santorum Memorial Sanitarium has a nice ring to it don't ya think. ;)

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Llamalandia wrote:While I disagree, I should say the great thing about being an american is and always has been you can change classes if your smart, diligent and hardworking enough. Look at all the people who have gone from being poor or middle class to being billionaire almost overnight. Heck, african Americans were slaves in america only 150 years ago and yet now Oprah is the worlds richest woman. Yes Rick their are classes, but no liberals they don't really matter that much because they aren't absolutes. you can start poor and stay or start poor and get rich or start rich and become poor many sometimes you can cycle through these more than in a lifetime.

You can go from poor to rich. But it's unlikely and some people simply can't do it.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Divair wrote:Seems legit.
(Image)

I thought China's was higher than that...
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Llamalandia wrote:While I disagree, I should say the great thing about being an american is and always has been you can change classes if your smart, diligent and hardworking enough. Look at all the people who have gone from being poor or middle class to being billionaire almost overnight. Heck, african Americans were slaves in america only 150 years ago and yet now Oprah is the worlds richest woman. Yes Rick their are classes, but no liberals they don't really matter that much because they aren't absolutes. you can start poor and stay or start poor and get rich or start rich and become poor many sometimes you can cycle through these more than in a lifetime.

For every genuine rags-to-riches story, there's literally hundreds if not thousands of people who only got where they are because daddy kicked the bucket and left them great-grandpa's cash.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

So all these times Rick Santorum talked about 'Class Warfare', what sort of classes do you think he meant? Home economics and music appreciation?
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Vetalia wrote:If anything, class identity and conflict is even more pronounced in the United States than in other developed nations.

The media is the problem however as everyone wants to be identified as the middle even when they're rich.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads