NATION

PASSWORD

Islam/Muslim Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

To which branch of Islam do you belong?

Sunni
41%
Shia
13%
Ibadi
4%
Ahmadiyya
2%
Sufi
8%
Nondenominational
12%
Other
21%

Total votes : 404

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:So because slavery still exists, we should just be fine with it and even legalise a form of it?

Because imprisonment exists, and is a necessity, we should legalize this form of it. As pointed out above it isn't actually outlawed, either.

Penal labour =/= slavery. POW's and convicts, even if forced to perform labour, are not slaves.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Wait a minute, that's what I've been advocating for this whole time! I think this might just be a case of miscommunication. His and my views on this are quite similar, the only notable difference, which I don't know his opinion on, is that I think that independent people may purchase their labor to profit from, at least as long as capitalism is around.

If you just support penal labour for convicts without making them property of either an individual or the state, that's a form of forced labour but not the same as slavery. Slavery really has a really, really bad reputation here in the West so honestly you shouldn't have been surprised when myself and a few others got noticeably pissed when you said you were advocating a reintroduction of slavery.

Napkiraly wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Because imprisonment exists, and is a necessity, we should legalize this form of it. As pointed out above it isn't actually outlawed, either.

Penal labour =/= slavery. POW's and convicts, even if forced to perform labour, are not slaves.

I call it slavery simply because that's what it's been called for centuries, but I had hoped my explanations would clear that up. Yes, that's all I want. I also say, why not let private owners get in on this, and employ them as house servants or work for their companies.
Last edited by Mahdistan on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quranist, Pan-Islamist Muslim
Syndicalist, Councilist, Environmentalist, and Regionalist! Gay and proud!
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview
All credit for the flag to Slovenya
Factbooks>NS stats, but stats form a reference point

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:02 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:So because slavery still exists, we should just be fine with it and even legalise a form of it?

Because imprisonment exists, and is a necessity, we should legalize this form of it. As pointed out above it isn't actually outlawed, either.

Prison labor is permitted but they are not slaves. Making them work is permitted. Making them property is not.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:If you just support penal labour for convicts without making them property of either an individual or the state, that's a form of forced labour but not the same as slavery. Slavery really has a really, really bad reputation here in the West so honestly you shouldn't have been surprised when myself and a few others got noticeably pissed when you said you were advocating a reintroduction of slavery.

I call it slavery simply because that's what it's been called for centuries, but I had hoped my explanations would clear that up. Yes, that's all I want. I also say, why not let private owners get in on this, and employ them as house servants or work for their companies.

Because that would encourage a far harsher legal system simply to utilize free labour which can seriously end up disrupting the economy for others, as historically that has occurred. Which would of course only benefit the rich.

Prisoners should be spending more time rehabilitating and learning trade skills rather than be butlers and servants for the rich. That's how we'll reduce crime recidivism and encourage them into legal employment. If suppose if a prisoner does desire to be a butler after their incarceration is over, the prison can offer a hospitality course and training program. But it should be an option for the prisoner and not a forced thing for all of them.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Novus America wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Because imprisonment exists, and is a necessity, we should legalize this form of it. As pointed out above it isn't actually outlawed, either.

Prison labor is permitted but they are not slaves. Making them work is permitted. Making them property is not.

Yeah but they aren't property of they have human rights that aren't to be overstepped.

If anyone calls that slavery...okay...guess prison labor is slavery then.
Your friendly neighborhood Steppe Republic.
I was a wimp before Nationstates, now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.
Genghis did nothing wrong

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Jochistan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Yeah but they aren't property of they have human rights that aren't to be overstepped.

Well prison labor is not considered slavery. It is permitted by the US constitution and the Geneva conventions. Prisoners and especially POWs do have rights of course. But they can be required to work.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:If you just support penal labour for convicts without making them property of either an individual or the state, that's a form of forced labour but not the same as slavery. Slavery really has a really, really bad reputation here in the West so honestly you shouldn't have been surprised when myself and a few others got noticeably pissed when you said you were advocating a reintroduction of slavery.

Napkiraly wrote:Penal labour =/= slavery. POW's and convicts, even if forced to perform labour, are not slaves.

That would probably just lead to corporate influence in the judicial system and exploitation of penal labor.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Novus America wrote:
Jochistan wrote:Yeah but they aren't property of they have human rights that aren't to be overstepped.

Well prison labor is not considered slavery. It is permitted by the US constitution and the Geneva conventions. Prisoners and especially POWs do have rights of course. But they can be required to work.

Extremist!

That's a week in Liberal Value reeducation camp for you, mister!
:P

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Jochistan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Yes, they are not property and many rights remain for them other restricted and some given up for the duration of their incarceration with some countries unfortunately curtailing certain rights for life even after incarceration (such as voting) the latter of which is something that should be phased out as well.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:I call it slavery simply because that's what it's been called for centuries, but I had hoped my explanations would clear that up. Yes, that's all I want. I also say, why not let private owners get in on this, and employ them as house servants or work for their companies.

Because that would encourage a far harsher legal system simply to utilize free labour which can seriously end up disrupting the economy for others, as historically that has occurred. Which would of course only benefit the rich.

Prisoners should be spending more time rehabilitating and learning trade skills rather than be butlers and servants for the rich. That's how we'll reduce crime recidivism and encourage them into legal employment. If suppose if a prisoner does desire to be a butler after their incarceration is over, the prison can offer a hospitality course and training program. But it should be an option for the prisoner and not a forced thing for all of them.

Well they should have to work too to pay their upkeep. Rehabilitation does not take all their time, and labor itself can be rehabilitation. Now on leasing them out. That used to be common in the US, but because of lack of adequate supervision abuses resulted.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Jochistan wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:

That would probably just lead to corporate influence in the judicial system and exploitation of penal labor.

It did. We tried it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convict_lease

The idea has some potential to work, but it is hard to keep it from being abused.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Novus America wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Because that would encourage a far harsher legal system simply to utilize free labour which can seriously end up disrupting the economy for others, as historically that has occurred. Which would of course only benefit the rich.

Well they should have to work too to pay their upkeep. Rehabilitation does not take all their time, and labor itself can be rehabilitation. Now on leasing them out. That used to be common in the US, but because of lack of adequate supervision some abuses resulted.

They should at the very least be paid something and allowed some choice in what they work in, however.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:16 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Well they should have to work too to pay their upkeep. Rehabilitation does not take all their time, and labor itself can be rehabilitation. Now on leasing them out. That used to be common in the US, but because of lack of adequate supervision some abuses resulted.

They should at the very least be paid something and allowed some choice in what they work in, however.

Sure. They usually are.

And such protections are included in the Geneva conventions.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Novus America wrote:

For the last if it would be harmful for them, sure. As for the first, labor should be their way of repaying society.

No one owes them money. That's like a parent paying their kid for chores. Overly lenient coddling.

Food, clothes and sleeping quarters should be enough. Prison shouldn't be daycare.
Last edited by Jochistan on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:I call it slavery simply because that's what it's been called for centuries, but I had hoped my explanations would clear that up. Yes, that's all I want. I also say, why not let private owners get in on this, and employ them as house servants or work for their companies.

Well, under capitalism, it might not be the best. But an Islamic economy would adapt for it, where poor would rely on the rich for production of goods and some of the distribution of wealth, while the poor keep the economy running for each other through welfare. This form of labor, thus, would benefit everyone under this system, as more goods would mean lower prices, and more availability of these goods to citizens. As well, the state could inspect buyers, and ideally, since only very large landowners would be able to afford slaves, there would be benefit to keeping police on site to ensure abuses don't happen. As well, the sentence may not be indefinite, but the buyer would have the legal right to release them by their own will, before the sentence is concluded. Therefore, dangerous criminals would probably not be included. On-site rehabilitation may also be available through councilors, but this system would ensure that the prisoner, the owner, and society at large all benefit.
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Then one would be wrong in calling it slavery as much as one would be wrong in calling support of penal labor an extremist view.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Jochistan wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:They should at the very least be paid something and allowed some choice in what they work in, however.

For the last if it would be harmful for them, sure. As for the first, labor should be their way of repaying society.

No one owes them money. That's like a parent paying their kid for chores. Overly lenient coddling.

Food, clothes and sleeping quarters should be enough. Prison isn't daycare.

Well POWs have to be paid. But they are not their to be punished.

Now ordinary prisoners do not have to be paid, but it is a good idea as it encourages them to work better. Now the pay is going to be very low of course, most of the value the produce goes to their upkeep and victims.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Jochistan wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:

They would only be able to obtain the prisoners after they've been condemned, though, and ideally, the money made from selling these prisoners would go into public works, and therefore not be an incentive for the government to charge more people. And as I said above, careful measure could be taken to prevent abuse.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Jochistan wrote:That would probably just lead to corporate influence in the judicial system and exploitation of penal labor.

They would only be able to obtain the prisoners after they've been condemned, though, and ideally, the money made from selling these prisoners would go into public works, and therefore not be an incentive for the government to charge more people. And as I said above, careful measure could be taken to prevent abuse.

See you cannot sell the prisoners. You can sell their labor, but not the person. But it has been done, but abuse is a problem.

We used to do exactly this, but had trouble with abuse.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Jochistan wrote:That would probably just lead to corporate influence in the judicial system and exploitation of penal labor.

That would absolutely be an incentive for the government to convict more people, because they could use free penal labor instead of paying real wages to free laborers for the work.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Novus America wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:They would only be able to obtain the prisoners after they've been condemned, though, and ideally, the money made from selling these prisoners would go into public works, and therefore not be an incentive for the government to charge more people. And as I said above, careful measure could be taken to prevent abuse.

See you cannot sell the prisoners. You can sell their labor, but not the person. But it has been done, but abuse is a problem.

We used to do exactly this, but had trouble with abuse.

Well, I guess you could describe it that way. Just, a person or organization paying the government to have a prisoner come work on-site for them. And with police on site to watch for abuses of the prisoners, what could go wrong?
Mahdistan; An Overview

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Novus America wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:They would only be able to obtain the prisoners after they've been condemned, though, and ideally, the money made from selling these prisoners would go into public works, and therefore not be an incentive for the government to charge more people. And as I said above, careful measure could be taken to prevent abuse.

See you cannot sell the prisoners. You can sell their labor, but not the person.

I don't see how the concept is for anything but that.

Shari'ah dictates that POW's put to work are not to be killed/abused if they weren't combatants. As what happened to the Meccans after the battle of Badr and the Banu Qurayza.

And, if Shari'ah is followed, to their modern day paralells in the middle east. Salafi Jihadists and their co-conspirators.
Last edited by Jochistan on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 pm

The Nuclear Fist wrote:

That would absolutely be an incentive for the government to convict more people, because they could use free penal labor instead of paying real wages to free laborers for the work.

Not if that money was prevented from going to officials. It should be pooled for purely public works, which is why transparency is so important.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Jochistan wrote:
Novus America wrote:
See you cannot sell the prisoners. You can sell their labor, but not the person.

I don't see how the concept is for anything but that.

Shari'ah dictates that POW's put to work are not to be killed/abused if they weren't combatants.

The difference is once their sentence is up the are free. But to a point it is semantic.

Geneva III, not Shariah applies to POWs.
https://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/y3gctpw.htm

Article 49 through 57 cover labor.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
The Nuclear Fist wrote:That would absolutely be an incentive for the government to convict more people, because they could use free penal labor instead of paying real wages to free laborers for the work.

Not if that money was prevented from going to officials. It should be pooled for purely public works, which is why transparency is so important.

I just said it would be free penal labor. Meaning that instead of having to contract out to a construction outfit, they could use penal labor to do the job without having to pay anyone or contribute to their pension or benefits. Given that elected officials are all about trying to cut costs wherever possible for popularity points, it only further encourages them.

But that's one of many criticisms about modern islamic practices. A secondary one being that islamic economics are essentially incoherent nonsense.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General