NATION

PASSWORD

What Happens When we die?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:47 pm

American Pride wrote:
And Why are my ideas shitty? Maybe i dont feel like debating with a bunch of Left-wing Atheists? (Which makes up the the majority of this site)

This is bullshit. The majority aren't left wing atheists.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:47 pm

American Pride wrote:
Bottle wrote:And another of these "bear my testimony" religious posters.

It really baffles me, the level of arrogance needed to make such posts. I mean, it's one thing to assume that people on a debate forum might want to debate things with you...that seems fair and reasonable, even if your ideas are kinda shitty.

But to assume that other people just want to hear your beliefs, for no reason, with you openly stating that you're not interested in discussion and making it plain that you won't contribute anything useful?

I really wish I knew what catastrophic parenting mistake leads to this sort of behavior.

Ah, My childhood was just fine my friend, I never went to church as a child and my parents did not practice religion but as i grew older and started my own family i began to still think of god as the eternal ruler (But i still do not go to church neither does my Girlfriend soon to be wife)

And Why are my ideas shitty? Maybe i dont feel like debating with a bunch of Left-wing Atheists? (Which makes up the the majority of this site) And i did Contribute i said what was on my mind. And it was relevant towards the topic

Facebook is that way. ---->
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 pm

American Pride wrote:
Bottle wrote:And another of these "bear my testimony" religious posters.

It really baffles me, the level of arrogance needed to make such posts. I mean, it's one thing to assume that people on a debate forum might want to debate things with you...that seems fair and reasonable, even if your ideas are kinda shitty.

But to assume that other people just want to hear your beliefs, for no reason, with you openly stating that you're not interested in discussion and making it plain that you won't contribute anything useful?

I really wish I knew what catastrophic parenting mistake leads to this sort of behavior.

Ah, My childhood was just fine my friend, I never went to church as a child and my parents did not practice religion but as i grew older and started my own family i began to still think of god as the eternal ruler (But i still do not go to church neither does my Girlfriend soon to be wife)

And Why are my ideas shitty? Maybe i dont feel like debating with a bunch of Left-wing Atheists? (Which makes up the the majority of this site) And i did Contribute i said what was on my mind. And it was relevant towards the topic

This is a debate forum. If you refuse to debate, people will call you out on that. Nobody cares about your opinion, unless you are willing to debate it. You are not special. If you make claims and refuse to say why they are true, you will be assumed to be wrong.
piss

American Pride
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
American Pride wrote:
And Why are my ideas shitty? Maybe i dont feel like debating with a bunch of Left-wing Atheists? (Which makes up the the majority of this site)

This is bullshit. The majority aren't left wing atheists.

Its true make a thread with a poll that accounts for political affiliation and religion and you will see that the majority will be atheists and liberal :idea:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:This is bullshit. The majority aren't left wing atheists.

Its true make a thread with a poll that accounts for political affiliation and religion and you will see that the majority will be atheists and liberal :idea:

We've done this. Multiple times throughout the years. And several times the theists were the majority. Why don't you actually stick around for at least a year before spewing bullshit?
Last edited by Mavorpen on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
American Pride wrote:

We've done this. Multiple times throughout the years. And several times the theists were the majority. Why don't you actually stick around for at least a year before spewing bullshit?

I have been around for quit a while i was on this site about 3 years ago but my parents both were diagnoised with cancer so i had to take care of them and it was deleted then i stumbled upon this site in April and i started playing again. In my spare time

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:55 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:We've done this. Multiple times throughout the years. And several times the theists were the majority. Why don't you actually stick around for at least a year before spewing bullshit?

I have been around for quit a while i was on this site about 3 years ago but my parents both were diagnoised with cancer so i had to take care of them and it was deleted then i stumbled upon this site in April and i started playing again. In my spare time

Then you're either lying or don't pay attention.

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Bottle wrote:
American Pride wrote:

Facebook is that way. ---->

I dont Use Facebook its full of Drama and Bullshit So come up with another snotty remark or Insult 8)

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
American Pride wrote:

Then you're either lying or don't pay attention.

Im not lying Why would i lie about losing my mom :meh: and im new to the forum i never used it on my old account but i just started with this one :)

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Then you're either lying or don't pay attention.

Im not lying Why would i lie about losing my mom :meh: and im new to the forum i never used it on my old account but i just started with this one :)

You don't pay attention it is then.

Now do you have any intention of debating or are you going to continue wasting the time of others?

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm

I would like to know, but I don't want to die.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm

New haven america wrote:I would like to know, but I don't want to die.

Become a medical examiner.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
American Pride wrote:

Now do you have any intention of debating or are you going to continue wasting the time of others?

Im not wasting time of others that would just be rude. I was simply responding to your post so maybe you will stop wasting my time :D
Last edited by American Pride on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:You don't pay attention it is then.

Im not wasting time of others that would just be rude. I was simply responding to your post so maybe you will stop wasting my time :D

No intention of debating it is then.

New haven america wrote:I would like to know, but I don't want to die.

Poke a corpse with a stick and see if it reacts.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
American Pride wrote:

Wonderful. The first thread in general I pop my head into after almost two weeks involves another Mavorpen beatdown to shimmy around calling someone a fucking moron in a way that allows him to say it without actually saying it.

Class A++ NSG. I missed this.
password scrambled

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Uh... Made that joke already. Now I feel bad. T^T

The only way babies learn not to touch hot stoves is by burning themselves on the hot stove.

Stop stopping babies from touching hot stoves.

:blink:

Uh, sarcasm to expand on the point. :?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Condunum wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:You don't pay attention it is then.

Wonderful. The first thread in general I pop my head into after almost two weeks involves another Mavorpen beatdown to shimmy around calling someone a fucking moron in a way that allows him to say it without actually saying it.

Who are you and why do you apparently not know that the moderation forum exists?

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Condunum wrote:Wonderful. The first thread in general I pop my head into after almost two weeks involves another Mavorpen beatdown to shimmy around calling someone a fucking moron in a way that allows him to say it without actually saying it.

Who are you and why do you apparently not know that the moderation forum exists?

I'm Condy, and I like entertainment. You know I won't do that, Mav. You and I both know it's not actionable unless you go too far, and you've got that part down to an art. I'm just noting my amusement.
password scrambled

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Coccygia wrote:I have no clue what happens when we die. Nobody does. All in all though, I wouldn't want to bet there isn't life after death, of some kind...like a guy, say, who commits mass murder because he has terminal cancer and doesn't give a crap, there's no life after death, right? (There was a Homicide episode like this.) On the other hand I dunno how much I'd wanna bet there is life after death.

The only argument I have, and it's pretty weak, is that I can't imagine ceasing to exist completely...but of course that is just a lack of imagination?

As the Buddha wisely said, such questions tend not to enlightenment.

You can't imagine ceasing completely, because that requires your mind. You literally cannot imagine nothingness. It's built into your mind. A mind that exists cannot conceive of true nonexistence, any more than you can truly conceive of a 2-dimensional or 4-dimensional world.

As I said, lack of imagination. As for a 2-dimensional world...didn't you ever read Edward Abbott's Flatland?
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Condunum wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Who are you and why do you apparently not know that the moderation forum exists?

I'm Condy, and I like entertainment. You know I won't do that, Mav. You and I both know it's not actionable unless you go too far, and you've got that part down to an art. I'm just noting my amusement.

Right, so you're just whining and attempting to threadjack for your own amusement? How mature.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Coccygia wrote:
Shaggai wrote:You can't imagine ceasing completely, because that requires your mind. You literally cannot imagine nothingness. It's built into your mind. A mind that exists cannot conceive of true nonexistence, any more than you can truly conceive of a 2-dimensional or 4-dimensional world.

As I said, lack of imagination. As for a 2-dimensional world...didn't you ever read Edward Abbott's Flatland?

You cannot fully imagine it. You can imagine it from the perspective of a 3-dimensional being, but not from the perspective of the denizens of Flatland. It isn't lack of imagination, it's the way your mind works. Maybe, just maybe, an extremely imaginative person, preferably a mathematician, could imagine a world with more dimensions than ours. But nobody can truly imagine being 2-dimensional.
piss

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Coccygia wrote:As I said, lack of imagination. As for a 2-dimensional world...didn't you ever read Edward Abbott's Flatland?

You cannot fully imagine it. You can imagine it from the perspective of a 3-dimensional being, but not from the perspective of the denizens of Flatland. It isn't lack of imagination, it's the way your mind works. Maybe, just maybe, an extremely imaginative person, preferably a mathematician, could imagine a world with more dimensions than ours. But nobody can truly imagine being 2-dimensional.

Oh, you're no fun anymore. >:(
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Kulverint
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kulverint » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Bottle wrote:
Nation M wrote:
Well I could understand from an Atheist standpoint how you would fear death and the unknowns of the afterlife (if any).

This is interesting to me, because my personal experience has been that theists are the ones who tend to fear death, while atheists are far more likely to be OK with the idea of dying. Indeed, fear of death, and a need to believe that one won't REALLY die, seems to be one of the primary reasons given by theists for why they are theists in the first place.

I can tell you now - I'm an atheist and the idea of death terrifies me. I'd much prefer there to be an afterlife.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:14 am

This :p

surprise no one mention this yet. :unsure:
Last edited by TaQud on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

The Continent of Wild Endeavor
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Answers will come

Postby The Continent of Wild Endeavor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 am

Well, there are two real answers.
1) When a human dies, acknowledging the severe connectedness of the body and mind. the mind ceases to exist. End of story.
2) Wait and see.
The first is based off logic, the second off common sense.
That's really all we have. Near-Death_Experiences are hallucinations.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General