NATION

PASSWORD

What Happens When we die?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:14 am

Robloxland wrote:Ütz, If Öltusıği Şed Güde, Öltusıği Öcuturkra gü tö Hvenne, böyt If Öltusıği Şed Tılligü, Öltuşıği Öcuturkra gü tö Hvellıkü. Well, if you are good, you will go to heaven, but if you are bad, you will go to hell.

Will you serve in heaven
or
Rule in hell ?

Nation M
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nation M » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 am

Bottle wrote:
Nation M wrote:
Well I could understand from an Atheist standpoint how you would fear death and the unknowns of the afterlife (if any).

This is interesting to me, because my personal experience has been that theists are the ones who tend to fear death, while atheists are far more likely to be OK with the idea of dying. Indeed, fear of death, and a need to believe that one won't REALLY die, seems to be one of the primary reasons given by theists for why they are theists in the first place.

alright then, let me rephrase it and say that my personal experience has been quite the opposite. Who knows really, just a guess, could be right, could be wrong. You'll actually find that if you poll Muslims on whether or not they fear death, I'll bet over 95% will say they do not fear death.
Factbook
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
My Nation is not entirely representative of my personal views, Stats are canon

Microsol
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Microsol » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 am

Impossible to know, let alone have certainty.

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 am

Nation M wrote:
Bottle wrote:This is interesting to me, because my personal experience has been that theists are the ones who tend to fear death, while atheists are far more likely to be OK with the idea of dying. Indeed, fear of death, and a need to believe that one won't REALLY die, seems to be one of the primary reasons given by theists for why they are theists in the first place.

alright then, let me rephrase it and say that my personal experience has been quite the opposite. Who knows really, just a guess, could be right, could be wrong. You'll actually find that if you poll Muslims on whether or not they fear death, I'll bet over 95% will say they do not fear death.

I think it is better to say that it just depends upon the individual in question.

Nation M
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nation M » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 am

Solarys wrote:I think it is better to say that it just depends upon the individual in question.

fair enough
Factbook
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
My Nation is not entirely representative of my personal views, Stats are canon

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 am

Nation M wrote:
Bottle wrote:This is interesting to me, because my personal experience has been that theists are the ones who tend to fear death, while atheists are far more likely to be OK with the idea of dying. Indeed, fear of death, and a need to believe that one won't REALLY die, seems to be one of the primary reasons given by theists for why they are theists in the first place.

By your own admission, however, that's because they don't believe they will die. They believe their consciousness will persist after death. I don't think it is reasonable to equate death-denialism with "not fearing death," since it's really kind of exactly the opposite.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Angle Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Angle Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:51 am

Solarys wrote:
Robloxland wrote:Ütz, If Öltusıği Şed Güde, Öltusıği Öcuturkra gü tö Hvenne, böyt If Öltusıği Şed Tılligü, Öltuşıği Öcuturkra gü tö Hvellıkü. Well, if you are good, you will go to heaven, but if you are bad, you will go to hell.

Will you serve in heaven
or
Rule in hell ?

Will you eat vanilla ice cream without sprinkles?
or
eat dog crap with sprinkles?

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 am

Angle Empire wrote:
Solarys wrote:
Will you serve in heaven
or
Rule in hell ?

or

Hell isn't that bad, unless you are the one being tortured for eternity. :p

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 am

Angle Empire wrote:
Solarys wrote:
Will you serve in heaven
or
Rule in hell ?

or

Vanilla ice cream is terrible, imo. Besides, if you rule in hell, why would bad things happen to you? You rule there, you can make people not do them.
piss

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 am

Microsol wrote:Impossible to know, let alone have certainty.

I know.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 am

Shaggai wrote:
Angle Empire wrote:Will you eat vanilla ice cream without sprinkles?
or

Vanilla ice cream is terrible, imo. Besides, if you rule in hell, why would bad things happen to you? You rule there, you can make people not do them.

Vanilla ice cream is fine. The idea is, Hell by its very nature is the most terrible place in the universe. It's a place where you are denied, utterly denied, the presence and grace of "God." And the worst of it is, you know it. You know that you could be somewhere else but instead you are in Hell. Sure, you might be a ruler there but what are you ruling?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:10 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Shaggai wrote:Vanilla ice cream is terrible, imo. Besides, if you rule in hell, why would bad things happen to you? You rule there, you can make people not do them.

Vanilla ice cream is fine. The idea is, Hell by its very nature is the most terrible place in the universe. It's a place where you are denied, utterly denied, the presence and grace of "God." And the worst of it is, you know it. You know that you could be somewhere else but instead you are in Hell. Sure, you might be a ruler there but what are you ruling?

As long as i can be far away from "god" i will be happy. And if i get to rule hell, that means i can make it a paradise if i wanted to. So it is a win-win.

And and i prefer chocolate flavour.
Last edited by Solarys on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 am

Solarys wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Vanilla ice cream is fine. The idea is, Hell by its very nature is the most terrible place in the universe. It's a place where you are denied, utterly denied, the presence and grace of "God." And the worst of it is, you know it. You know that you could be somewhere else but instead you are in Hell. Sure, you might be a ruler there but what are you ruling?

As long as i can be far away from "god" i will be happy. And if i get to rule hell, that means i can make it a paradise if i wanted to. So it is a win-win.

And and i prefer chocolate flavour.

Why would you want to be as far away from "God"?
hue

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 am

Great Kleomentia wrote:Why would you want to be as far away from "God"?

Why would i want to be near a psychopathic mass murderer ?

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 am

Solarys wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:Why would you want to be as far away from "God"?

Because being next to Satan is much better. And in heaven you enjoy the most of what you want. So the sicko cant do nothing.
hue

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:20 am

Vandelstein wrote:Depends on what you believe in. Nirvana exists for those who believe in it, so does Heaven, Purgatory, Shangrila, Nothing, etc.

Personally, I believe I'll be in another dimension no different than earth, living as someone else. Not reincarnation, but close to it. Either that or I'll be a vampire which will be just as awesome.

No it doesn't. When it comes to the objective, such as the reality of death, belief is irrelevant.

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 am

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Solarys wrote:

Because being next to Satan is much better. And in heaven you enjoy the most of what you want. So the sicko cant do nothing.

I would take lucifer over god anyday. Besides we are talking about ruling in hell, not serving in hell.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 am

Says who?

Death is observable. Death is testable. We have spent centuries studying living things, and human anatomy. It's pretty safe to say we know what happens when they stop being alive. The basics are actually not difficult to understand.

Living systems differ from non-living system in one respect: They maintain their internal entropy by making use of external energy. (Homoeostasis fuelled by consumption.) A living system dies when it is no longer able to maintain it's internal entropy. (Homoeostasis fails.)
Last edited by Conscentia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:27 am

Conscentia wrote:

Says who?

Death is observable. Death is testable. We have spent centuries studying living things, and human anatomy. It's pretty safe to say we know what happens when they stop being alive. The basics are actually not difficult to understand.

Living systems differ from non-living system in one respect: They maintain their internal entropy by making use of external energy. (Homoeostasis fuelled by consumption.) A living system dies when it is no longer able to maintain it's internal entropy. (Homoeostasis fails.)

Have you ever died? I thought so.
hue

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 am

Solarys wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:Because being next to Satan is much better. And in heaven you enjoy the most of what you want. So the sicko cant do nothing.

I would take lucifer over god anyday. Besides we are talking about ruling in hell, not serving in hell.

By "lucifer" I assume you mean Satan.
Sir, read the Book of Job. Satan is a servant of God.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 am

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Says who?

Have you explored the entirety of everything? No? Then how dare you not accept Ba'al as your god!
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Solarys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Solarys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 am

Conscentia wrote:
Solarys wrote:I would take lucifer over god anyday. Besides we are talking about ruling in hell, not serving in hell.

By "lucifer" I assume you mean Satan.

If we are going by imaginary things, i am going to consider lucifer as the archangel who rebelled. I am not christian and hence not familiar with any version of the bible. So do forgive any fantasy-cal inaccuracy.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 am

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Says who?

:palm:
The moon might be made of cheese. We can't know.
Oh, you disagree?
Have you ever been to the moon? I thought so.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

Solarys wrote:
Conscentia wrote:By "lucifer" I assume you mean Satan.

If we are going by imaginary things, i am going to consider lucifer as the archangel who rebelled. I am not christian and hence not familiar with any version of the bible. So do forgive any fantasy-cal inaccuracy.

I am not a Christian. I have the sense to look things up.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General