NATION

PASSWORD

The DHS's "Constitution Free" Zones

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

The DHS's "Constitution Free" Zones

Postby Hathradic States » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Sourceness Numbro Ein (The Daily Sheeple).
Source Numbar Dva (ACLU Website).

More Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/todd-mill ... 38075.html
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... -seizures/

To sum it up, the Department of Homeland Security has the ability to search your electronic belongings for no reason, a clear violation of the US's 4th Amendment, within a hundred miles of the border. As you can see on the maps provided in the sources, this includes several entire states, such as Maine and Florida. At first, I was rather skeptical on this, given the original source, but the first article talked about the ACLU lawsuit over it, so I swallowed my conservative pride and checked there, where, indeed it does exist.

So, NSG, what are you thoughts on these actions? Is it reasonable, given the times we live in, or a gross breach of the US Constitution?

Myself, I find that, if the ACLU lawsuit makes it to the Supreme Court, they will likely say that, indeed, the actions are unconstitutional. Hopefully, it will do away with the policy.
Last edited by Hathradic States on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

We calculated this using the most recent, 2007 numbers from the U.S. Census, and released a map showing the cities and states that are enveloped by this zone. It includes some of the largest metropolitan areas in the country: New York City, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon. States that are completely within this Constitution-Free Zone include Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Rhode Island. When you say “border,” they think “all of New England.”

CBP has been setting up checkpoints far inland — on highways in states such as California, Texas and Arizona, and at ferry terminals in Washington State. Typically, the agents ask drivers and passengers about their citizenship.

This is horrible. Basically, the government can stop anyone in those areas and demand proof of citizenship? How will this not end up causing racial profiling based on "stop everyone who seems like they might not be American citizens"?
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:27 pm

197 million people, nearly 2/3 of the US population, lives within the "constitution-free" zone. *gulp*

Anyway, this is clearly a case of blatant governmental overreach and is seriously worrying. This is a grave infringement of personal privacy and Constitutionally guaranteed rights.
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 pm

... Jesus Christ, I live in that area. That's... that's honestly pretty fucking terrifying.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Hathradic States wrote:To sum it up, the Department of Homeland Security has the ability to search your electronic belongings for no reason, a clear violation of the US's 4th Amendment, within a hundred miles of the border.

Before reading anything else, I'm going to assume this refers to searching unsecured public networks projected from otherwise private devices, which is very unlikely to violate your constitution.

Now let's see whether that was an unreasonable assumption.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Alright, so it was actually an unreasonable assumption.

I don't know if I have anything to follow up, here. I wasn't expecting this to be real.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm

I know where not to live now.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Yeah, suspending the Constitution so we can catch "druggies" and "terrorists" is always a good idea! :palm:
Last edited by Libertarian California on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:197 million people, nearly 2/3 of the US population, lives within the "constitution-free" zone. *gulp*

Anyway, this is clearly a case of blatant governmental overreach and is seriously worrying.

Regnum, we live in occupied territory. :eek:

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:Alright, so it was actually an unreasonable assumption.

I don't know if I have anything to follow up, here. I wasn't expecting this to be real.

My thoughts were the same man. :hug:

Final text here.

Bendira
Senator

Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:36 pm

The whole country is a constitution free zone with the NSA spy programs, its just that in this particular program they actually have jackbooted fascists on the ground making it more blatant
Political Compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Libertarian California wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:197 million people, nearly 2/3 of the US population, lives within the "constitution-free" zone. *gulp*

Anyway, this is clearly a case of blatant governmental overreach and is seriously worrying.

I just hope Michigan is given to Canada at this point. I'd welcome the Canadian overlords.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Holy crap...

Thank god I don't live in the orange zone. O_o

Seriously, what is wrong with this government?
Bruh.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:

I just hope Michigan is given to Canada at this point. I'd welcome the Canadian overlords.

Wisconsin, too. Hell, just give them the whole Great Lakes region.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 pm

One more step towards a police state. I'm drifting to libertarian mode. :lol:
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I just hope Michigan is given to Canada at this point. I'd welcome the Canadian overlords.

As much as it pains me to say it, evil communist Canada is better than this shit.

What is happening to my country!?!?!?!

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

:palm: I thought it'd be assigning certain parts of the country to be free speech zones and the rest wouldn't be. As expected, it is far worse. At least I do not live within that zone, because I happen to live in the Dominion of Canada.

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I just hope Michigan is given to Canada at this point. I'd welcome the Canadian overlords.

Or at least Alaska.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Saint Kitten
Senator

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

It must be weird living in San Antonio it must be like, am I the free zone or not? And I think I live just on the line. FML
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Bendira wrote:The whole country is a constitution free zone with the NSA spy programs, its just that in this particular program they actually have jackbooted fascists on the ground making it more blatant

I agree that this is worrying, but "jackbooted fascists"? Really?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Anyway, this is clearly a case of blatant governmental overreach and is seriously worrying. This is a grave infringement of personal privacy and Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

I'm riiiight below the Austin dot in Texas.

Qahadim
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Qahadim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Suddenly i'm very glad to live in bum fuck Egypt, deep within the interior if the country.

So when do we pressure our state legislatures to call constitutional conventions to put a stop Yo crap like this?

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Saint Kitten wrote:It must be weird living in San Antonio it must be like, am I the free zone or not? And I think I live just on the line. FML

Are you in the north or south of the San Antonio area?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Wisconsin, too. Hell, just give them the whole Great Lakes region.

As much as it pains me to say it, evil communist Canada is better than this shit.

What is happening to my country!?!?!?!

At this rate, I'd give them 20 years before it goes the way of the USSR, or 25 before it goes the way of the DPRK.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Adding these to the OP.

Final text here.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General