NATION

PASSWORD

Obama asks schools to ignore bad behavior by black students

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Orcoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4455
Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Really......is this the best the Right wing can do to try and discredit the president of the united states?

Sighs....why am I not surprised at the least?
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Orcoa wrote:Really......is this the best the Right wing can do to try and discredit the president of the united states?

Sighs....why am I not surprised at the least?

I suppose it's better than the whole "Kenyan" (nigger) shtick.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28799
Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Terran Faction wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
That's a really nice story. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble seeing your point? Since that is not at all what is being suggested or implemented.

When we try to fix social problems, it's usually defined by the skin color of someone when it is not true. There are people of all "races" that are a menace to society.


Read the first five pages of this thread to see why this doesn't apply. If that's beyond your capabilities at the moment, then I'm sure that there's a decent response within the first three.

User avatar
Saint Jade IV
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6441
Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Terran Faction wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
That's a really nice story. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble seeing your point? Since that is not at all what is being suggested or implemented.

When we try to fix social problems, it's usually defined by the skin color of someone when it is not true. There are people of all "races" that are a menace to society.


Wow. And again, you manage to spectacularly miss the point. Do you practice, or is this an innate talent?
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

User avatar
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28799
Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Terran Faction wrote:When we try to fix social problems, it's usually defined by the skin color of someone when it is not true. There are people of all "races" that are a menace to society.


Read the first five pages of this thread to see why this doesn't apply. If that's beyond your capabilities at the moment, then I'm sure that there's a decent response within the first three.


Here it is, page three! And from a poster I trust implicitly! But if you don't, that's fine...check the source for yourself.

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:The proposal requests that schools not use disparate methods of discipline for black students and white students, which is to say that it requests that black and white students not be disciplined differently for similar offenses. This has been shown to be a major issue, along with disparities in school funding, teacher experience, up-to-date textbooks and other instructional materials, and modern equipment. The OP's mischaracterization of the order is repugnant, and worthy of contempt.

Shame on you for this race-baiting garbage. There is a serious conversation to be had regarding racial issues in this nation, with serious people on all sides of the various issues having a place at the table. Factually incorrect articles such as this designed to whip up resentment and anger among white people show not only an unwillingness to grapple seriously with the issue, but also a total willingness to make matters worse in the name of short-term political game.

Again, shame on you.

User avatar
Terran Faction
Diplomat
 
Posts: 675
Founded: Jul 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Terran Faction » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Read the first five pages of this thread to see why this doesn't apply. If that's beyond your capabilities at the moment, then I'm sure that there's a decent response within the first three.


Here it is, page three! And from a poster I trust implicitly! But if you don't, that's fine...check the source for yourself.

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:The proposal requests that schools not use disparate methods of discipline for black students and white students, which is to say that it requests that black and white students not be disciplined differently for similar offenses. This has been shown to be a major issue, along with disparities in school funding, teacher experience, up-to-date textbooks and other instructional materials, and modern equipment. The OP's mischaracterization of the order is repugnant, and worthy of contempt.

Shame on you for this race-baiting garbage. There is a serious conversation to be had regarding racial issues in this nation, with serious people on all sides of the various issues having a place at the table. Factually incorrect articles such as this designed to whip up resentment and anger among white people show not only an unwillingness to grapple seriously with the issue, but also a total willingness to make matters worse in the name of short-term political game.

Again, shame on you.

Thank you for showing how pathetic the thread was in the first place.
Terran Faction's 5 goals.
--------------------------------------------------------------
5 threats to Mankind : Anarchy,Disobedience,Nationalism,Socialism,Aliens.
5 Good Things for Mankind : Order,Respect,Duty,Honor, and Globalism.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember children, Terran Faction is always right!

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Shimon-Zhivago wrote:I think you need to use your brain just a bit more. Yes, the homicide rate among Blacks is higher, and the misbehavior rate is higher, but did you ever stop to think about why that is, or do you just stop at the first door and assume that those figures stand the way they do because that's just the way Blacks are?

Because obviously, poor education, drugs, racist cops, racist real estate workers, and the like have nothing to do with that. It's obvious that Blacks are poorer, less educated, and more violent because they are Black, nothing else.

Think for yourself. Think deeper than some idiotic agenda-based article tells you to.


But, but Bill O'Reilly told me it's because black hoochie-mamas keep squirting out babies!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1279
Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Shimon-Zhivago wrote:I think you need to use your brain just a bit more. Yes, the homicide rate among Blacks is higher, and the misbehavior rate is higher, but did you ever stop to think about why that is, or do you just stop at the first door and assume that those figures stand the way they do because that's just the way Blacks are?

Because obviously, poor education, drugs, racist cops, racist real estate workers, and the like have nothing to do with that. It's obvious that Blacks are poorer, less educated, and more violent because they are Black, nothing else.

Think for yourself. Think deeper than some idiotic agenda-based article tells you to.


But, but Bill O'Reilly told me it's because black hoochie-mamas keep squirting out babies!

And the hoodies, dont forget the hoodies!
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22386
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Here's a legitimate source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/26/executive-order-white-house-initiative-educational-excellence-african-am

If you don't trust whitehouse.gov, fuck it, Russia Today can't cover everything.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22386
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Some context for that quote:

"(vi) reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools, and by supporting successful and innovative dropout prevention and recovery strategies that better engage African American youths in their learning, help them catch up academically, and provide those who have left the educational system with pathways to reentry;"

So, yes, they are basically telling the truth. But I am really reluctant to read the entire executive order and figure out if the spirit of the document is what they make it out to be.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25211
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Some context for that quote:

"(vi) reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools, and by supporting successful and innovative dropout prevention and recovery strategies that better engage African American youths in their learning, help them catch up academically, and provide those who have left the educational system with pathways to reentry;"

So, yes, they are basically telling the truth. But I am really reluctant to read the entire executive order and figure out if the spirit of the document is what they make it out to be.

Welcome to page two.
Everything for the cat.

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22386
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Some context for that quote:

"(vi) reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools, and by supporting successful and innovative dropout prevention and recovery strategies that better engage African American youths in their learning, help them catch up academically, and provide those who have left the educational system with pathways to reentry;"

So, yes, they are basically telling the truth. But I am really reluctant to read the entire executive order and figure out if the spirit of the document is what they make it out to be.

Welcome to page two.

it is nice to be here, Bob
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9054
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 am

So is Hippo pretending to be a neo-Nazi now?
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

User avatar
Rhinostan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 190
Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhinostan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:09 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:So is Hippo pretending to be a neo-Nazi now?


No, Hippo is still Hippo and always will be Hippo.

Bashing people for no reason and making up complete and utter bullshit is part of his daily lifestyle.
AppleDash

ScratchTavia

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Some context for that quote:

"(vi) reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools, and by supporting successful and innovative dropout prevention and recovery strategies that better engage African American youths in their learning, help them catch up academically, and provide those who have left the educational system with pathways to reentry;"

So, yes, they are basically telling the truth. But I am really reluctant to read the entire executive order and figure out if the spirit of the document is what they make it out to be.


By "disparate use" they mean something along the lines of "expel the black kid for something that would only get a white kid suspension."
Last edited by Gauthier on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Thisbia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1033
Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Orcoa wrote:Really......is this the best the Right wing can do to try and discredit the president of the united states?

Sighs....why am I not surprised at the least?

I suppose it's better than the whole "Kenyan" (nigger) shtick.


WTF??
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

User avatar
New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12226
Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:38 am

Gauthier wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Some context for that quote:

"(vi) reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools, and by supporting successful and innovative dropout prevention and recovery strategies that better engage African American youths in their learning, help them catch up academically, and provide those who have left the educational system with pathways to reentry;"

So, yes, they are basically telling the truth. But I am really reluctant to read the entire executive order and figure out if the spirit of the document is what they make it out to be.


By "disparate use" they mean something along the lines of "expel the black kid for something that would only get a white kid suspension."


Yup, as is explained here:

Compounding this problem, we’ve often seen that students of color, students from disadvantaged backgrounds, and students with special needs are disproportionately likely to be suspended or expelled.

A study conducted in Texas just last year found that minority and special needs children who caused what are termed “emotional disturbances” were more likely than white students to be disciplined. In fact, 83 per cent of African American male students and 74 per cent of Hispanic male students ended up in trouble and suspended for some period of time. Among all students suspensions averaged about two days per offense. Minority students facing discipline for the first time tended to be given harsher out of school suspensions, rather than in school suspensions, more often than their white counterparts. Tellingly, 97 per cent of all suspensions were discretionary and reflected the administrator’s discipline philosophy as much as the student’s behavior.

This is, quite simply, unacceptable


The bolded part was omitted entirely from the lying, sensationalist article that started this whole kerfuffle. It's how right-wing propaganda works: selectively edit, lie and mislead in such a fashion as to stoke racial/class resentment against $target. If it catches on fire, great! If not, find another snippet you can snip and try, try again.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

User avatar
Liriena
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53470
Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Liriena » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 am

I would gladly give my opinion on this topic if the topic itself was not a blatant lie.
The Fabulous Pope of NS


I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism


⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

User avatar
Shimon-Zhivago
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1299
Founded: Jun 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shimon-Zhivago » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 am

Racists. Racists everywhere, eh?

Oh the mind of a liberal is a funny thing.


Only the mindset of using big gubbermint to atone for it, creating an endless amount of loopholes.


Alrighty, this is the THIRD time I've had to say the following (Christ, you people need to THINK and not jump to a conclusion just so you can amusingly mock someone who doesn't think like you do!):

I never said that there were racists everywhere. Just like the OP, you're jumping to a conclusion based on an assumption.

I know that not all cops are racist, and that not all real estate workers are racist. That's common sense. But the truth is that many of them are, and because they are many Blacks are stuck in a cycle of poverty and crime.

Please please please don't make the same mistake you did before and assume that I'm saying that racist cops and racist real estate workers are the sole reason that many Blacks are in the situation they are today, that's not what I'm saying, because it's not true. But it is a major factor, which is why Obama tried to get passed what he tried to get passed.
Last edited by Shimon-Zhivago on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you enjoy the 1870s Real-World RP? If so, click here to assist in the planning of my next RP!



Interested in international relations with Shimon-Zhivago? Then visit the Foreign Embassy Offices or go to the Shimon-Zhivago Embassy Program Page! We look forward to working with you!

User avatar
Mavorpen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63266
Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:04 am

Fuck this article for getting my hopes up.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

User avatar
Kleomentia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6506
Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:16 am

Wind in the Willows wrote:That's fucking unfair. >:(

Oh yes, being a white kid can be so hard. Oh damn you God! Why give me a 1st world home and life!
On a serious note though, it stands against the equality of civil rights.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

User avatar
Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28799
Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 am

Mavorpen wrote:Fuck this article for getting my hopes up.


I know, wouldn't that be fun?

"Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Go to hell, Principal Figgins. The President says you have to ignore me."

User avatar
Pacifornia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1255
Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacifornia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:59 am

Kleomentia wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:That's fucking unfair. >:(

Oh yes, being a white kid can be so hard. Oh damn you God! Why give me a 1st world home and life!
On a serious note though, it stands against the equality of civil rights.


If anything, we should guarantee equal rights for everyone and not play favorites. If this article was true and Obama wanted to give African Americans special immunity, then that would not be equality. It would only piss off the neo-nazis and white nationalists even more and throw more racist fueled tantrums on YouTube and Storm(lame)front. :geek:
Check out our nation's website! http://bam2011.wix.com/pacifornia
IRL: Male, straight, atheist, socialist, Californian, Honduran-American, third year college student

"I know a lot of people think L.A. and they see a picture in their head, but those people obviously don't know me, because I sit on a couch every day. That's my idea of a good time - just being in a sweat suit."-Hayley Williams, Paramore
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Flames? Take a number and have a seat. Have a nice day :)

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28346
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:59 am

Kleomentia wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:That's fucking unfair. >:(

Oh yes, being a white kid can be so hard. Oh damn you God! Why give me a 1st world home and life!
On a serious note though, it stands against the equality of civil rights.


No it doesn't. It prevents "Separate but Equal", which was inherently unequal. Hippo's the OP Kleo. Think about it...

It actually promotes Civil Rights.
Ukraine - stop bombing innocent people! Pricks who burn other people alive should be punished.
Feel the Bern! Two actual females that can beat Trump: Gabbard & Klobuchar
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Thisbia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I suppose it's better than the whole "Kenyan" (nigger) shtick.


WTF??

Yeah
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Bogan Laker, Ethel mermania, Ifreann, LiberNovusAmericae, Longweather, Minzerland II, Ranoria, Serconas, Souseiseki, Southeastern Xiatao, The blAAtschApen, The Galactic Liberal Democracy, Thuzbekistan, Vassenor, Vastalon, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads