NATION

PASSWORD

An Independent Native American State?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you think Native American Reservations should be allowed to gain independence?

YES
38%
NO
45%
MAYBE
17%

Total votes : 614

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Shirah Mataniya wrote:
Totalise wrote:sooooo what your saying is that the conqueror should give the conqured their land back. am i reading you correctly?
it is almost laughable to think in such a way.

You do realize that the vast majority of nations in Africa were granted independence from the nations that conquered them in the 1960's?

Most of the natives were still around to have the land returned to them.
Native Americans...not so much.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Genivaria wrote:Let them have their own State. A state OF the United States.

Texas
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 pm

The problem is it wouldn't work. Because not all of the tribes see themselves as one state.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:

The problem is it wouldn't work. Because not all of the tribes see themselves as one state.

But they all talkum like this....
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Oklahoma was the answer to that. Things changed.
From a modern perspective, segregation of Indians probably isn't the best solution.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm

And any one tribe is not large enough to constitute it's own territory.

Shirah Mataniya
Envoy

Founded: Feb 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shirah Mataniya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:Should we also have a country for all those of African and Asian descent?

That is irrelevant in my opinion and has nothing to do with Native Americans. The Native Americans had their native lands taken from them, hence why they are called Native Americans - Africans and Asians are not native to the United States therefore it would be quite ridiculous for them to declare an independent nation with the United States. Besides those of African descent dominate many nations in the Caribbean.
Last edited by Shirah Mataniya on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For: Scottish Independence, Irish Reunification and the Good Friday Agreement, Cypriot Reunification and the Annan Plan, Republic of Lakotah and the American Indian Movement, Palestine Liberation Organization and the Madrid Conference, Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process, Sovereignty of Taiwan, Civil Partnership, Tibetan Independence, Catalan Independence, Abortion (under certain circumstances)

Against: Hydraulic Fracturing, Racism, Kosovo, Nazism, Gay Marriage, Animal Cruelty, Same-sex Adoption, Imperialism, Sectarianism, Terrorism and Jihadism, Chechen Independence, Occultism

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Stern des Meeres wrote:If the majority of people within a tribe want to become independent, then I see no problem in it. What would it hurt?

I agree. As long as the rights on non-Natives within the area are respected and the government is democratic, I don't see the problem. The fact that the settlers conquered the Native Americans doesn't mean that we still get the right to control the territory without the tribe's permission.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

Oklahoma was the answer to that. Things changed.
From a modern perspective, segregation of Indians probably isn't the best solution.

It's either segregation or integration, because independence isn't happening.
Last edited by Genivaria on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm

If I am not mistaken that's what Oklahoma was intended as, and I believe that plan failed.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Shirah Mataniya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shirah Mataniya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Genivaria wrote:

And any one tribe is not large enough to constitute it's own territory.

I'm sure Lichtenstein, Andorra, Malta, San Marino and Monaco are all doing quite alright, despite their minuscule land-area.
For: Scottish Independence, Irish Reunification and the Good Friday Agreement, Cypriot Reunification and the Annan Plan, Republic of Lakotah and the American Indian Movement, Palestine Liberation Organization and the Madrid Conference, Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process, Sovereignty of Taiwan, Civil Partnership, Tibetan Independence, Catalan Independence, Abortion (under certain circumstances)

Against: Hydraulic Fracturing, Racism, Kosovo, Nazism, Gay Marriage, Animal Cruelty, Same-sex Adoption, Imperialism, Sectarianism, Terrorism and Jihadism, Chechen Independence, Occultism

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Only the tribes that could unify together into one government could have their own state. However, the reservations get more leeway from the federal government than states do.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Shirah Mataniya wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:Should we also have a country for all those of African and Asian descent?

That is irrelevant in my opinion and has nothing to do with Native Americans. The Native Americans had their native lands taken from them, hence why they are called Native Americans - Africans and Asians are not native to the United States theerfore it would be quite ridiculous for them to declare an independent nation with the United States. Besides those of African descent dominate many nations in the Caribbean.

They did? Last I heard they didn't recognize property back then.

Blassland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blassland » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm

They wont have a good time taking back their land, but they are welcome to try
Senator Dean Blessin
Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Progress Coalition (Take 2)

`Murrica
Gotta love the classics!
Male
Protestant Christian
Egalitarian Democrat

Allied Imperial States

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Shirah Mataniya wrote:

That is irrelevant in my opinion and has nothing to do with Native Americans. The Native Americans had their native lands taken from them, hence why they are called Native Americans - Africans and Asians are not native to the United States theerfore it would be quite ridiculous for them to declare an independent nation with the United States. Besides those of African descent dominate many nations in the Caribbean.

Right, and some Native Americans aren't really natives, because Kennewick man, being genetically South-Asian, was here first.

Do you see the stupidity in this logic of associating a certain racial/ethnic group with land?

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Shirah Mataniya wrote:That is irrelevant in my opinion and has nothing to do with Native Americans. The Native Americans had their native lands taken from them, hence why they are called Native Americans - Africans and Asians are not native to the United States theerfore it would be quite ridiculous for them to declare an independent nation with the United States. Besides those of African descent dominate many nations in the Caribbean.

That doesn't mean that they don't have the right to choose independence if they want it. I support the right to self determination if the majority of people desire independence and can demonstrate a viable form of government.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shirah Mataniya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shirah Mataniya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Shirah Mataniya wrote:That is irrelevant in my opinion and has nothing to do with Native Americans. The Native Americans had their native lands taken from them, hence why they are called Native Americans - Africans and Asians are not native to the United States theerfore it would be quite ridiculous for them to declare an independent nation with the United States. Besides those of African descent dominate many nations in the Caribbean.

Instead of them seeing land as something to exploit, they seen the land as a living thing that they were to respect. Nonetheless that should not be an excuse.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Genivaria wrote:They did? Last I heard they didn't recognize property back then.

That doesn't mean that they don't have the right to choose independence if they want it.

Oh? And what piece of our sovereign territory shall we be giving up then?
Just so we know which American citizens are going to lose their homes and be forced to relocate.
Last edited by Genivaria on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Genivaria wrote:They did? Last I heard they didn't recognize property back then.

That doesn't mean that they don't have the right to choose independence if they want it.

Sure it does. Because all the Americans who pushed the natives off their land are dead. My grandfather came here in the 1950s and my mother came here in the 1980s. There are literally millions of others with the same story. They shouldn't be displaced.

As to whether or not native tribes, as they are, deserve independence. If they want it, sure.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Genivaria wrote:

They did.
Ever heard the urban legend that some natives sold their land for a few beads? That was a trade, from their perspective, for the right to use hunting grounds. And for a lot more than beads, but that's not my point.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Torsiedellious and Sturmovosk
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedellious and Sturmovosk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 pm

I support this. I believe that the Native Americans, or, at least the Sioux, who are dwindling in numbers, deserve their own homeland.
Parallel Universe Counterpart to the Confederation of Torsiedellious & Sturmovosk, entirely populated by adorable anime girls.
An Experiment
200% more females, 100% more anime, 90% less racism! FABULOUS!!!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Geilinor wrote:That doesn't mean that they don't have the right to choose independence if they want it.

Oh? And what piece of our sovereign territory shall we be giving up then?
Just so we know which American citizens are going to lose their homes and be forced to relocate.

Giving them their own state doesn't have to mean that non-natives will be oppressed. There can certainly be a system of dual citizenship. Also, I'm proposing that non-Native Americans in the area will also be allowed to vote on the subject of independence.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Oh? And what piece of our sovereign territory shall we be giving up then?

Giving them their own state doesn't have to mean that non-natives will be oppressed. There can certainly be a system of dual citizenship.

Then what the hell is the point of giving land by ethnicity? I'm 1/16th something or other Blackfoot native, I hardly deserve land for something that was done before my great-great-great grandfather was even around.

Shirah Mataniya
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shirah Mataniya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Right, and some Native Americans aren't really natives, because Kennewick man, being genetically South-Asian, was here first.

Do you see the stupidity in this logic of associating a certain racial/ethnic group with land?

So you condone the actions of the U.S. Government and you support what atrocities they have committed towards the natives?
Ultimately you support genocide?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Shirah Mataniya wrote:

So you condone the actions of the U.S. Government and you support what atrocities they have committed towards the natives?
Ultimately you support genocide?

Huh, ya know I could've SWORN he didn't actually ever say that. Please don't go throwing around such accusations.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General