NATION

PASSWORD

An Independent Native American State?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you think Native American Reservations should be allowed to gain independence?

YES
38%
NO
45%
MAYBE
17%

Total votes : 614

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Mushet wrote:
Priory Academy USSR wrote:
There has to be some cut-off point. Otherwise we'd see all of the Saxon-descended families start accusing the Norman-descended ones of theft from a 1000 years ago. A generation or two seems like a decent point.

We're talking about legally binding treaties that are still in effect, it isn't the same thing.

The US Government begs to differ
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Greater Tezdrian
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Tezdrian » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Did you know that Indian reservations are independent nations? Indian Nations are allowed, within limits to govern themselves. Many have their own police forces and courts.

Tribal sovereignty in the United States refers to the inherent authority of indigenous tribes to govern themselves within the borders of the United States of America. The federal government recognizes tribal nations as “domestic dependent nations” and has established a number of laws attempting to clarify the relationship between the federal, state, and tribal governments. The Constitution and later federal laws grant local sovereignty to tribal nations, yet do not grant full sovereignty equivalent to foreign nations, hence the term “domestic dependent nations”.

http://nativeheritageproject.com/2012/0 ... n-nations/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribal_sov ... ted_States
Puppetmaster for Hashemite Arabiyah

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Mushet wrote:We're talking about legally binding treaties that are still in effect, it isn't the same thing.

The US Government begs to differ

No, they don't. They may like to botch them but they never claim that the treaties aren't legally binding, because they are.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

The Urain
Attaché

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Urain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:58 pm

NO! NO! NO!

It is called the United States of America for a reason! UNITED! The last 3 words of the Pledge of Allegiance are "one and indivisible"!

Greater autonomy? Sure. Statehood? That would be a pain to have all those new breakaway states- imagine 128 stars on the flag, give or take.

And isn't the whole Native American belief that land is to be shared? So a Native Nation would OWN the land. Share with America.

Puerto Rico should be independent. Why? Because they're not America, they're de facto independent.
The Urain
"Unity, Freedom, Independence"
RP-ing as a Arab-style republic, post-colonialism.

Want oil? Buy ours! Just Telegram.
Olympic Record- 1 Gold, 1 Silver (IX Olympiad)

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:07 pm

The Urain wrote:NO! NO! NO!

It is called the United States of America for a reason! UNITED! The last 3 words of the Pledge of Allegiance are "one and indivisible"!

Greater autonomy? Sure. Statehood? That would be a pain to have all those new breakaway states- imagine 128 stars on the flag, give or take.

And isn't the whole Native American belief that land is to be shared? So a Native Nation would OWN the land. Share with America.

Puerto Rico should be independent. Why? Because they're not America, they're de facto independent.

These are conquered nations with treaty agreements the US has broken the vast majority of the time, they should be able to withdraw if they please.

I doubt any starts would be added to the flag with this plan, you need to broaden your definition as to what a state is.

Oh fantastic ignorance about native beliefs, never saw that coming :roll:

And why shouldn't Puerto Rico be part of America and these native nations should whether they want to or not.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Mushet wrote:
There has to be some cut-off point. Otherwise we'd see all of the Saxon-descended families start accusing the Norman-descended ones of theft from a 1000 years ago. A generation or two seems like a decent point.

We're talking about legally binding treaties that are still in effect, it isn't the same thing.

I'm sure the Saxons would have considered the Witenagemot's decision to make Harold Godwinson King of England totally legal, too. Yet the Normans still came over and conquered the country. Suggesting that the Saxons should get all their lands back, though, is absurd.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Mushet wrote:We're talking about legally binding treaties that are still in effect, it isn't the same thing.

I'm sure the Saxons would have considered the Witenagemot's decision to make Harold Godwinson King of England totally legal, too. Yet the Normans still came over and conquered the country. Suggesting that the Saxons should get all their lands back, though, is absurd.

It's not the same country anymore, they made that with the normans, these natiosn amde it with the United States government, which last I checked is still around.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Mushet wrote:
The Urain wrote:NO! NO! NO!

These are conquered nations with treaty agreements the US has broken the vast majority of the time, they should be able to withdraw if they please.

I doubt any starts would be added to the flag with this plan, you need to broaden your definition as to what a state is.

And why shouldn't Puerto Rico be part of America and these native nations should whether they want to or not.

Breaking apart the USA right now really isn't the best of ideas... trust me on this...

And I doubt any native community can successfully separate from the USA and function completely as an independent state. They would continue to rely and expect help from the USA while still claiming to be independent...

Why would the USA go along with any of this?

Also, I think it's better at this point to just to ''let bygones be bygones'' and try to fully integrate into US society...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:35 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Mushet wrote:These are conquered nations with treaty agreements the US has broken the vast majority of the time, they should be able to withdraw if they please.

Breaking apart the USA right now really isn't the best of ideas... trust me on this...

And I doubt any native community can successfully separate from the USA and function completely as an independent state. They would continue to rely and expect help from the USA while still claiming to be independent...

Also, I think it's better at this point to just to ''let bygones be bygones'' and try to fully integrate into US society...

If they can and want to they should be able to, and let bygones be bygones is easy for white settlers to say.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Mushet wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

If they can and want to they should be able to, and let bygones be bygones is easy for white settlers to say.

You've got to stay current with the times and not dwell on the past...

By the way, the USA is no longer comprised exclusively of ''white settlers.'' ''Settlers''? That's so pre-20th century...

We all need to learn to get along as Americans now. It's not about race and it's not about what happened hundreds of years ago... it's about now and how to move ahead.

We can try and move ahead and recognize our commonalities as a nation of many cultures... or we can dwell on the past, stay true to ethnic strife and divisions, and try to break a country apart.

Especially as separation from the USA isn't a practical option anyhow...
Last edited by God Kefka on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:40 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Mushet wrote:If they can and want to they should be able to, and let bygones be bygones is easy for white settlers to say.

You've got to stay current with the times and not dwell on the past...

By the way, the USA is no longer comprised exclusively of ''white settlers.'' ''Settlers''? That's so pre-20th century...

We all need to learn to get along as Americans now. It's not about race and it's not about what happened hundreds of years ago... it's about now and how to move ahead.

We can try and move ahead and recognize our commonalities as a nation of many cultures... or we can dwell on the past, stay true to ethnic strife and divisions, and try to break a country apart.

Especially as separation from the USA isn't a practical option anyhow...

Why shouldn't they be able to pursue independence? Why shouldn't they be able to withdraw from a treaty that is continually broken?

I never said it was, I'm saying that's an easy thing for a white settler to say.

I'm talking about what's happening right now, not dwelling on the past.

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Not a big fan of racial nationalism.

Which is why imperialism over other nations or denying them their own self-determination is good , right ? No I think they should not just be allowed home rule: they should become States of their own within the United States or (if they would choose so) become independent.

I think that the Left always used to support national self-determination in the anti-colonial sense but they think of "national self-determination" as ethnic nationalism and thus wrong.
Last edited by Free Tristania on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: True Liberty, Voluntary association, Free Trade, Family and Tradition as the Bedrock of Society
Anti: Centralisation (of any sort), Feminism, Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Collectivism of any sort (be it Left-wing or Right-wing)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:56 am

Free Tristania wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Not a big fan of racial nationalism.

Which is why imperial over other nations or denying them their own self-determination is good , right ? No I think they should not just be allowed home rule: they should become States of their own within the United States or (if they would choose so) become independent.

I think that the Left always used to support national self-determination in the anti-colonial sense but they think of "national self-determination" as ethnic nationalism and thus wrong.

They already have nigh states, they're just small ones.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:01 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Free Tristania wrote:Which is why imperial over other nations or denying them their own self-determination is good , right ? No I think they should not just be allowed home rule: they should become States of their own within the United States or (if they would choose so) become independent.

They already have nigh states, they're just small ones.

Nigh states?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General