NATION

PASSWORD

Why would libertarianism not work?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 am

Divair wrote:
Khalite wrote:The United States is a bureaucracy-choked morass of complexity and Big Government. If the United States is Libertarian, I will eat a shoe.

US? Big government? It doesn't even have a universal healthcare program.

No, but a huge number of it's people are on government assistance, that counts as Big government.
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Mkuki wrote:Given the general tenets of libertarianism I doubt they'd like that. Even libertarians aren't devoid of shortsightedness.

They're libertarians. Libertarianism is just Feudalism before the chips fall into place.

Nobody ever advocates libertarianism or feudalism because they love being serfs.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Khalite
Envoy

Founded: Oct 04, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Khalite » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

Divair wrote:
Khalite wrote:The United States is a bureaucracy-choked morass of complexity and Big Government. If the United States is Libertarian, I will eat a shoe.

US? Big government? It doesn't even have a universal healthcare program.

Oh, come now. The Federal government is enormous, and the States come to the Fed to get their bread like so many duckies.
实力荣誉斯多葛主义; Khalite shines greater than one billion suns

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

Kelmet wrote:No, but a huge number of it's people are on government assistance, that counts as Big government.

Huge according to who?

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

Gauthier wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:They're libertarians. Libertarianism is just Feudalism before the chips fall into place.

Nobody ever advocates libertarianism or feudalism because they love being serfs.

They do because they love being lords.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

Khalite wrote:
Divair wrote:US? Big government? It doesn't even have a universal healthcare program.

Oh, come now. The Federal government is enormous, and the States come to the Fed to get their bread like so many duckies.

Enormous compared to what?

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

Khalite wrote:
Divair wrote:US? Big government? It doesn't even have a universal healthcare program.

Again, that's nice and easy to say, and it feels right in my gut, but when it gets into my mind, I can't help but ask what the fuck it means.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

Divair wrote:
Kelmet wrote:No, but a huge number of it's people are on government assistance, that counts as Big government.

Huge according to who?

http://www.naturalnews.com/038660_gover ... lfare.html
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaturalNews

NaturalNews (formerly Newstarget) is a website dedicated to alternative medicine and various conspiracy theories, such as chemtrails,[1] the alleged dangers of fluoride in drinking water (as well as that of MSG and aspartame) and alleged health problems caused by "toxic" ingredients in vaccines, including the now-discredited link to autism.

Let's not, eh?

Liberated Freedomstan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Freedomstan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

Khalite wrote:

That might be because the States are for most intents of purposes just another part of the U.S. government, and require funding to continue operation.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

when almost a 1/3 of your population depends on the government for assistance, your doing it wrong
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

Liberated Freedomstan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Freedomstan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

Kelmet wrote:

when almost a 1/3 of your population depends on the government for assistance, your doing it wrong

How so?

Belligerent Alcoholics
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Belligerent Alcoholics » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

Gauthier wrote:Because there's apparently mandatory naivete that comes with the idea that people should be free to do whatever the hell they want but that on their own completely if they're not well endowed. It's just begging to turn into feudalism all over again.

Not exactly. Under feudalism, the top had real responsibilities to those on the rungs below and were expected to carry those out. Not really the case here.
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Behave your damn selves, folks.

To block the sight of spam trolls, enter the troll's name here.
There's a list of suicide prevention resources here.
Pro: voluntary collectivism, civil rights and liberties, equal protection of law, Pope Francis, kittens; MRM; fair trade
Conflicted: Green Party; SPUSA; Fatah; guns; abortion
Anti: capitalism; Zionism; Hamas; Marxism; forced collectivism; fascism; free trade; feminism; ponies
Political compass
Political test
I side with...
Lawful-leaning Neutral Good

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 am

Liberated Freedomstan wrote:
Mkuki wrote:Not really. Government subsidies to business run rampant within the US political system. Not to mention that the United States isn't all that tolerant of others. Some parts of her, anyway.

Is Libertarianism against subsidies, then? I was under the impression that an ideology in support of a more powerful private sector would be all for it.

In theory libertarians should be. Any government involvement in the economy is, generally, frowned upon. Then again, libertarianism is a petty expansive political ideology. Some libertarians, like Regnum Dominae, don't mind some government-provided services. Others, notably an-caps, are opposed to any government involvement in the economy. That includes both regulations and business subsidies.

I'll make it clear that when I talk of libertarianism I talk of the laissez-faire branch. The branch that idolizes Adam Smith.
Last edited by Mkuki on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 am

Kelmet wrote:

That's not a viable source, but nice grammar and completely nonsensical statement there.

Zonolia
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

Kelmet wrote:

When a third of the population depends on the government, the government is obviously doing it's job correctly and is providing for it's people.
Last edited by Zonolia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hell hath no fury like a mod scorned.
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Population (Homeland+Colonies-As of 03/14/2014): 19,874,000,000
Current Year: 2014
Territories:
(Jikilo Brothers Incorporated)
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

Divair wrote:
Khalite wrote:

Enormous compared to what?

I don't get it. Federal spending is a pretty small percentage of the United States economy.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Khalite
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Khalite » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

I don't have anything to compare it to. It's gargantuan without compare. At least it is not as corpulent and blobular as the old Soviet regime.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am

Khalite wrote:I don't have anything to compare it to. It's gargantuan without compare. At least it is not as corpulent and blobular as the old Soviet regime.

So you're saying you're spouting a potent mixture of bullshit and hot air out of the ass from which you're speaking.

Liberated Freedomstan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Freedomstan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am

Khalite wrote:I don't have anything to compare it to. It's gargantuan without compare. At least it is not as corpulent and blobular as the old Soviet regime.

The Mighty Comlibrunazi Yuropian Union would beg to differ.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Kelmet wrote:when almost a 1/3 of your population depends on the government for assistance, your doing it wrong

That's not a viable source, but nice grammar and completely nonsensical statement there.

I blame the economy, how come when the economy's nice and dandy no one talks about the debt or a lot of the problems governments have but as soon as the economy dips everyone freaks out?
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

Khalite
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Khalite » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

What I'm saying is that the nation that wiretaps, reads private Emails, and subtly invades privacy wherever it can is big enough. Pretty big.

Liberated Freedomstan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Freedomstan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

Kelmet wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:That's not a viable source, but nice grammar and completely nonsensical statement there.

I blame the economy, how come when the economy's nice and dandy no one talks about the debt or a lot of the problems governments have but as soon as the economy dips everyone freaks out?

Because when the economy is fine and dandy, the government seems to be doing it right.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

Kelmet wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:That's not a viable source, but nice grammar and completely nonsensical statement there.

The focus in politics is squarely on the economy when the economy tanks. People also start tightening their belts and thus mistakenly believe that the government should too. This is the opposite of what needs to happen.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 am

Mkuki wrote:
Divair wrote:Enormous compared to what?

I don't get it. Federal spending is a pretty small percentage of the United States economy.

If it was, wouldn't the US have no debt if it took in more then it spent?
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General