NATION

PASSWORD

Explain Your Religious Views or Lack Thereof

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Menassa wrote:Not all religions demands belief without evidence.

All theistic ones do.

Not really, you just have to know where to look.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Bentrada
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Keep your pants on, I know how long I've been here.

That doesn't make it okay.

I don't want the forums to turn into the YouTube comment section.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:You can be religious and accept scientific facts.

Like theistic evolution? Yea no.

At its core, religion promotes believing in something that you can't prove with science, like souls and magic men in the sky.

And if people want to believe that, then they will. Banning religion is counterproductive.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Bentrada wrote:
Menassa wrote:

:unsure:

Ah, so we have a steerah.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:You can be religious and accept scientific facts.

Like theistic evolution? Yea no.

That's actually a good example of people being religious and accepting scientific fact.

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Menassa wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:All theistic ones do.

Such as?
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Like theistic evolution? Yea no.

At its core, religion promotes believing in something that you can't prove with science, like souls and magic men in the sky.

And if people want to believe that, then they will. Banning religion is counterproductive.

And I don't want to ban religion. I want it to wear away to nonexistance and I want to help with the process, not through legislation but through activism, spreading knowledge, and promoting science.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Keep your pants on, I know how long I've been here.

That doesn't make it okay.

Gee, Dad, I never thought about it that way.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Bentrada
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Menassa wrote:
Bentrada wrote:

:unsure:

Ah, so we have a steerah.

:meh:

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:And if people want to believe that, then they will. Banning religion is counterproductive.

And I don't want to ban religion. I want it to wear away to nonexistance and I want to help with the process, not through legislation but through activism, spreading knowledge, and promoting science.

Well, I would like to walk up walls, but that's just not going to happen.

Ljvonia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ljvonia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm an apatheist and consider myself avovedly antireligious.

The act of believing without evidence is tantamount to intellectual suicide - and thus organisations that advocate this are harming humanity. To me there can be no peace until this problem is solved, meaning I will never respect the nonsense commonly known as "freedom of religion". The concept of religion as such has to go the way of the dinosaur, hopefully sooner rather than later. This tends to disturb some people, but the concept of "tolerance" is imho a very flawed one: to advance as a group, a nation, a species, we have to work for it - refusing to do so is sabotage.

As for the (to me purely intellectual and philosophical) god-question: there's enough to be asked after that has far more relevance than this. I refuse to waste my time with nonsense like gods and fairies.
Last edited by Ljvonia on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Test
"Liberty is a duty, not a right." -Benito Mussolini
“Life is trouble. Only death is not. To be alive is to undo your belt and look for trouble.” -Nikos Kazantzakis
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.92
Please note that my nation does not represent my political sentiment...obviously.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Threlizdun wrote:I'm an atheist from lack of evidence and my acceptance of science and probability. I'm an anthitheist because I have yet to find anything to convince me that the world would would not be better off without religion.

Some religiously inspired art is pretty fantastic.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Albul
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Bentrada wrote:smiley spam

If you have nothing to say, then go to another thread.
Impeach Pompey. Legalize Monarchy. Assassination is Theft. Julius Caesar 44 B.C.E.
Straight 17 year old male
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54
Welcome to the Internet
A specter is haunting 'Merika. It is the specter of communism.
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
Mall should redesign

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:And if people want to believe that, then they will. Banning religion is counterproductive.

Good luck with that. Religion will outlive us, our children, and our children's children.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Believing is good for me. It's a great source of peace and security, relieves stress when I most need it. All in all, it's really been quite fantastic for my mental health.

Bentrada
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bentrada » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Albul wrote:
Bentrada wrote:smiley spam

If you have nothing to say, then go to another thread.

I said something, can I stay?

Uelvan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm

The Carlisle wrote:

What harm does religion do you in this modern world of secularism? What does someone believing in something harmless like, a god and angels, do to affect your life? Those who reject science on a religious grounds probably were never going to be scientists in the first place, and so what does it matter if they have any knowledge in it or not?

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:I'm an atheist from lack of evidence and my acceptance of science and probability. I'm an anthitheist because I have yet to find anything to convince me that the world would would not be better off without religion.

Some religiously inspired art is pretty fantastic.

It also makes people happy.

Which could be a reason to want to ban it, they hate to see others happy with something so simple.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Menassa wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:All theistic ones do.

So you can provide verifiable evidence for a deity?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Kingdom of Nea Hellas
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Nea Hellas » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 pm

The Carlisle wrote:

And what about a specific religion like Greek Orthodox Christianity which is tied with cultural and historical background? You want to go around and take that away? So you can destroy the cultures of those peoples? Is that really fair?

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Uelvan wrote:I don't try to talk about my religious beliefs too much here, but I am a Muslim. I believe, not because of any evidence, but because I want to.

Also this.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Ljvonia wrote:I'm an apatheist and consider myself avovedly antireligious.

The act of believing without evidence is tantamount to intellectual suicide - and thus organisations that advocate this are harming humanity. To me there can be no peace until this problem is solved, meaning I will never respect the nonsense commonly known as "freedom of religion". The concept of religion as such has to go the way of the dinosaur, hopefully sooner rather than later.

As for the (to me purely intellectual and philosophical) god-question: there's enough to be asked after that has far more relevance than this. I refuse to waste my time with nonsense like gods and fairies.

Outlawing religion will just make young people more curious and interested in it
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 pm

I am an atheist because there is no god.
whatever

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Menassa wrote:Not really, you just have to know where to look.

Of course I can?

Will I?

Probably not.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Menassa wrote:Not really, you just have to know where to look.

I think you're missing the point of belief. It's only belief if you don't know.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General