NATION

PASSWORD

Explain Your Religious Views or Lack Thereof

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Lammatrey
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Jun 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lammatrey » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Bentrada wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Do you think religion should be banned?


In a sense, yes.

You're fucking joking, right? Why the fuck do you have the right to tell other people who they can and can't worship?
Vice-Chairman of the Libertarian Capitalist Party
Representing District #28
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 114/160

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Lammatrey wrote:
Bentrada wrote:
In a sense, yes.

You're fucking joking, right? Why the fuck do you have the right to tell other people who they can and can't worship?

HOW DARE YOU BAN MY HUMAN SACRIFICE.

YEAH MAN, WHAT THE FUCK.
Last edited by Seperates on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Lammatrey wrote:
Bentrada wrote:
In a sense, yes.

You're fucking joking, right? Why the fuck do you have the right to tell other people who they can and can't worship?


Also disregarding, that banning religion in the past, has failed to eliminate it.
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
O5vx
Minister
 
Posts: 2023
Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby O5vx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Seperates wrote:
O5vx wrote:
DNA do not change over time.

Actually, yes it does. Radiation and other chemicals changes DNA, along with coding, transcribing and translating errors. Most of the time, these are caught by some of the 'editing' processes in the cell. However, some of these cells normally either self destruct, or the process is irrelevant because 90% of our DNA doesn't actually code for anything important. But you know cancer? That is when DNA has changed so much within a cell that it grows rapidly without stopping, which is why it is nearly impossible to stop.


DNA in itself does not change.

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm

NEO Rome Republic wrote:
Lammatrey wrote:You're fucking joking, right? Why the fuck do you have the right to tell other people who they can and can't worship?


Also disregarding that banning religion in the past, has failed to eliminate it.

I think that that would be more to the point.

Talking about 'rights' about telling people what they can and can't worship stopped when we started banning traditional drug use from Native American rituals.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Blasveck
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13877
Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually, yes it does. Radiation and other chemicals changes DNA, along with coding, transcribing and translating errors. Most of the time, these are caught by some of the 'editing' processes in the cell. However, some of these cells normally either self destruct, or the process is irrelevant because 90% of our DNA doesn't actually code for anything important. But you know cancer? That is when DNA has changed so much within a cell that it grows rapidly without stopping, which is why it is nearly impossible to stop.


DNA in itself does not change.


YES IT DOES.

Mutations.
Forever a Communist

User avatar
The Silence of Night
Diplomat
 
Posts: 730
Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silence of Night » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually, yes it does. Radiation and other chemicals changes DNA, along with coding, transcribing and translating errors. Most of the time, these are caught by some of the 'editing' processes in the cell. However, some of these cells normally either self destruct, or the process is irrelevant because 90% of our DNA doesn't actually code for anything important. But you know cancer? That is when DNA has changed so much within a cell that it grows rapidly without stopping, which is why it is nearly impossible to stop.


DNA in itself does not change.

What part of DNA DOESN'T change?
Progressivism 100
Socialism 56.25
Tenderness 50


Your test scores indicate that you are an open-minded ultra-progressive; this is the political profile one might associate with a journalist. It appears that you are skeptical towards religion, and have a balanced attitude towards humanity in general.

Your attitudes towards economics appear neither committedly capitalist nor socialist, and combined with your social attitudes this creates the picture of someone who would generally be described as a liberal.

To round out the picture you appear to be, political preference aside, a sensible realistic egalitarian with several strong convictions.

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually, yes it does. Radiation and other chemicals changes DNA, along with coding, transcribing and translating errors. Most of the time, these are caught by some of the 'editing' processes in the cell. However, some of these cells normally either self destruct, or the process is irrelevant because 90% of our DNA doesn't actually code for anything important. But you know cancer? That is when DNA has changed so much within a cell that it grows rapidly without stopping, which is why it is nearly impossible to stop.


DNA in itself does not change.

Yes, it does. The telomeres shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.
Last edited by Seperates on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Seperates wrote:
NEO Rome Republic wrote:
Also disregarding that banning religion in the past, has failed to eliminate it.

I think that that would be more to the point.

Talking about 'rights' about telling people what they can and can't worship stopped when we started banning traditional drug use from Native American rituals.


Now ''the freedom of getting high'' is the real civil rights battle. :p
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
Shaggai
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9342
Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Seperates wrote:
O5vx wrote:
DNA in itself does not change.

Yes, it does. The telomeres shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.

To be fair, there may be other causes than just telomeres. But they mostly involve changes to DNA anyway.
If you come into contact with the Shining Trapezohedron, please bring it to me. Or just look into it. Either one is fine.

SEVEN INTO SEVEN INTO SEVEN

The "Who is Salt?" ending of Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name is a link between Fallen London and Cultist Simulator.

User avatar
Grave_n_idle
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43029
Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually, yes it does. Radiation and other chemicals changes DNA, along with coding, transcribing and translating errors. Most of the time, these are caught by some of the 'editing' processes in the cell. However, some of these cells normally either self destruct, or the process is irrelevant because 90% of our DNA doesn't actually code for anything important. But you know cancer? That is when DNA has changed so much within a cell that it grows rapidly without stopping, which is why it is nearly impossible to stop.


DNA in itself does not change.


We can add biology to physics on the list of sciences you'll debate, but don't understand?
WASSER IST LEBEN

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it does. The telomeres shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.

To be fair, there may be other causes than just telomeres. But they mostly involve changes to DNA anyway.

It was the only example that I could think of off the top of my head, but there are probably better ones in the scientific literature.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9398
Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Actually, yes it does. Radiation and other chemicals changes DNA, along with coding, transcribing and translating errors. Most of the time, these are caught by some of the 'editing' processes in the cell. However, some of these cells normally either self destruct, or the process is irrelevant because 90% of our DNA doesn't actually code for anything important. But you know cancer? That is when DNA has changed so much within a cell that it grows rapidly without stopping, which is why it is nearly impossible to stop.


DNA in itself does not change.

You are wrong.
The end.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.



20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

User avatar
O5vx
Minister
 
Posts: 2023
Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby O5vx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Seperates wrote:
O5vx wrote:
DNA in itself does not change.

Yes, it does. The telomeric shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.


It is only transforming, not changing.

User avatar
Blasveck
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13877
Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it does. The telomeric shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.


It is only transforming, not changing.


Transforming=Changing
Forever a Communist

User avatar
Grave_n_idle
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43029
Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it does. The telomeric shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.


It is only transforming, not changing.


...

Parody?

(Please be)
WASSER IST LEBEN

User avatar
The Silence of Night
Diplomat
 
Posts: 730
Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silence of Night » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it does. The telomeric shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.


It is only transforming, not changing.

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?
Progressivism 100
Socialism 56.25
Tenderness 50


Your test scores indicate that you are an open-minded ultra-progressive; this is the political profile one might associate with a journalist. It appears that you are skeptical towards religion, and have a balanced attitude towards humanity in general.

Your attitudes towards economics appear neither committedly capitalist nor socialist, and combined with your social attitudes this creates the picture of someone who would generally be described as a liberal.

To round out the picture you appear to be, political preference aside, a sensible realistic egalitarian with several strong convictions.

User avatar
Uiiop
Senator
 
Posts: 4655
Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Uiiop » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it does. The telomeric shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.


It is only transforming, not changing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/transforming
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... sformation
trans·form (trns-fôrm)
v. trans·formed, trans·form·ing, trans·forms
v.tr.
1. To change markedly the appearance or form of
trans·for·ma·tion (trnsfr-mshn, -fôr-)
n.
A marked change, as in appearance or character, usually for the better. :blink:

What's the difference?
Last edited by Uiiop on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:46 pm

NEO Rome Republic wrote:
Seperates wrote:I think that that would be more to the point.

Talking about 'rights' about telling people what they can and can't worship stopped when we started banning traditional drug use from Native American rituals.


Now ''the freedom of getting high'' is the real civil rights battle. :p

Whenever anybody says to respect my religion I ask them to respect my right to human sacrifice. And I then ask them to volunteer for a human sacrifice. And if they say no, I inform them that they are impeding on my religious rights and disrespecting my religion, the penalty for which is... death via sacrificial dagger.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Shaggai
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9342
Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Seperates wrote:
Shaggai wrote:To be fair, there may be other causes than just telomeres. But they mostly involve changes to DNA anyway.

It was the only example that I could think of off the top of my head, but there are probably better ones in the scientific literature.

The main exaples I was thinking of were various types of DNA damge, like transcription errors and radiation and so on.
If you come into contact with the Shining Trapezohedron, please bring it to me. Or just look into it. Either one is fine.

SEVEN INTO SEVEN INTO SEVEN

The "Who is Salt?" ending of Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name is a link between Fallen London and Cultist Simulator.

User avatar
Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9398
Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm

O5vx wrote:
Seperates wrote:Yes, it does. The telomeric shorten, and eventually, run out. That's why you die and age even if you stayed healthy your entire life. If DNA didn't change, we could live for fucking ever.

Dude, the sheer existence of cancer renders your argument as irrelevant.


It is only transforming, not changing.

Stop
Being
Wrong
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.



20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

User avatar
O5vx
Minister
 
Posts: 2023
Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby O5vx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm

You all crazy. That's my explanation for your blatant dishonest to what you claim to understand. I refuse to continue arguing when you will continue to make up stuff.

User avatar
Blasveck
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13877
Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:48 pm

O5vx wrote:You all crazy. That's my explanation for your blatant dishonest to what you claim to understand. I refuse to continue arguing when you will continue to make up stuff.


What part are we not understanding?
Forever a Communist

User avatar
Ermiopa
Attaché
 
Posts: 85
Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ermiopa » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Seperates wrote:
NEO Rome Republic wrote:
Now ''the freedom of getting high'' is the real civil rights battle. :p

Whenever anybody says to respect my religion I ask them to respect my right to human sacrifice. And I then ask them to volunteer for a human sacrifice. And if they say no, I inform them that they are impeding on my religious rights and disrespecting my religion, the penalty for which is... death via sacrificial dagger.

Respecting Religion =/= Participating in Religion

Also, there are no longer any religions apart from extremely obscure cults, that require human sacrifices.

User avatar
Grave_n_idle
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43029
Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:48 pm

O5vx wrote:You all crazy. That's my explanation for your blatant dishonest to what you claim to understand. I refuse to continue arguing when you will continue to make up stuff.


Are you implying that we wrote all those scientific, engineering (etc) links ourselves?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how anyone but you is 'making up' stuff.
WASSER IST LEBEN

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Delkora, Exabot [Bot], Geneviev, Metamen, The National Salvation Front for Russia, Western Vale Confederacy

Advertisement

Remove ads