NATION

PASSWORD

What should Obama do Since Russia Didn't give back Snowden?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What should Obama and the US do in retaliation to Russia?

-Boycott G-20 Summit
3%
-Boycott the Olympics
6%
- Cut communication and place sanctions on Russia
9%
- Nothing
73%
-other (explain)
10%

Total votes : 611

American Pride
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

What should Obama do Since Russia Didn't give back Snowden?

Postby American Pride » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:30 pm

So people of NS we all know that Russia Refused to give back alleged NSA leakier Edward Snoweden and they granted him Asylum for one year. But what should Obama do? Should he boycott the next G-20 Summit in Russia? Or should he Boycott the upcoming Olympics in Russia? But if he does chose to do either one of those will a modern Cold war happen? I want your opinions on the matter of this hot topic. Finally do you think that Obama is being a doormat for Putin? I thought of making this topic after reading this article http://news.yahoo.com/snowden-loose-law ... itics.html It seems that both Parties want the president to act.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Over Snowden? Nothing. Although Obama should give McCain a bucket for tears :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Keep "condemning" Russia for being freedom haters. Seriously, though, there's already a thread on Snowden Asylum-gate.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Nothing.

We should be doing the second and third thing on the poll, but for reasons that are actually important, such as the fact that Russia's a shithole.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Nothing. This is the typical exchange of "fuck you" between the US and Russia and has defined our relations with them for roughly 100 years.

I say we give one of their dissidents a safe haven in the US as a nice little tit for tat.

But as this is Obama, whose spine is weaker than an old man's erection, we will probably create a new START treaty, except this time the Russians get to keep all their nukes and we will reduce our arsenal to 10.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Clearly the only reasonable response is to initiate a nuclear first strike against Russia.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Nothing. I do wish someone would boycott the Olympics because of the strict anti-homosexuality laws that athletes will have to follow though.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

American Pride
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:Nothing. This is the typical exchange of "fuck you" between the US and Russia and has defined our relations with them for roughly 100 years.

I say we give one of their dissidents a safe haven in the US as a nice little tit for tat.

But as this is Obama, whose spine is weaker than an old man's erection, we will probably create a new START treaty, except this time the Russians get to keep all their nukes and we will reduce our arsenal to 10.

Very True man Obama's Forge-in policy is a joke Most foreign leaders view him as a human doormat lol. And the Whole START thing was also a epic waste of time. We should just cut communications from them. For they are always going to hate us

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:40 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:Nothing. This is the typical exchange of "fuck you" between the US and Russia and has defined our relations with them for roughly 100 years.

Very True man Obama's Forge-in policy is a joke Most foreign leaders view him as a human doormat lol. And the Whole START thing was also a epic waste of time. We should just cut communications from them. For they are always going to hate us

No, most leaders do not view Obama as a human doormat. http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/06/13/498771/obama-global-public-opinion/ Even as the approval rating of the US declines abroad, Obama remains popular. He's always been more popular in other developed countries than he is at home. http://www.pewglobal.org/2010/06/17/obama-more-popular-abroad-than-at-home/
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Nothing he can do will force Snowden to be given. He should do nothing.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:41 pm

American Pride wrote:

I wouldn't say that. Dialogue is important, especially with a nation who has a large nuclear arsenal. I just think when Obama says something, there's a 50-50 shot he probably won't carry through with it.

Man, oh man. I really wish I would have supported Hillary in the primaries.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Get drunk and go go-karting with Putin.

But if anyone gets a blue shell, there will be hell to pay.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:43 pm

I don't think President Obama cares enough to do anything about Snowden and Russia.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 pm

American Pride wrote:

We don't hate you:

Unless you back those who invade us. So don't do that anymore. Thank you :)

I'll go over the "poor periods".

2003 - US invades Iraq
2005/2006 - US fails to see reality in Chechnya
2009 - America's response to the Ossetian War was as abysmal as Stalin's Pravda. Come on, do better than Stalin's "honesty" please.
Last edited by Shofercia on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Did we ever?

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:47 pm

He won't do anything.

What he SHOULD do is give Snowden a goddamn medal.

Ironic, that he had to go to Authoritarian Russia to escape America.
Last edited by Blasveck on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever a Communist

The blood ravens
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The blood ravens » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Mkuki wrote:Keep "condemning" Russia for being freedom haters. Seriously, though, there's already a thread on Snowden Asylum-gate.

Add gate to the end of something, and BAM a name for a scandal.

Bin ladengate
Obamagate
Mc Donaldsgate.
UNgate
Egyptgate
Last edited by The blood ravens on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed try again with an equally horrible plan.
FT Nation: The Aurelian Imperium

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Did we ever?

Yes.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Did we ever?

Yes.

Ah yes, I forgot the Great Georgian Invasion of Russia in August of 2008.

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Give Russia a prize.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Yes.

Ah yes, I forgot the Great Georgian Invasion of Russia in August of 2008.

Hitting a legitimately stationed peacekeeping base is the equivalent of hitting an embassy. How would the US react if Cuba overran Gitmo and the US Embassy in Havana?

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:58 pm

flying killer robots

we live in a strange world when this is a serious possibility
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Did we ever?

Yes.

Handshakes and photo-ops are now evidence of invasion-backing? Well, shit...
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Nigerian Kenya
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nigerian Kenya » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Nothing that would involve starting a war. Anything else - fine.

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Did we ever?

The US itself has invade Russia, along with a whole host of other nations. The Russian intervention against the Bolshevik revolution was a thing.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General