NATION

PASSWORD

Anarchism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Anarchism is impossible on a large scale whilst there are people who don't want to live in an Anarchy. In small communes no doubt. But from what I've seen thats no where near what Anarchists aim for.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Zerlos
Envoy

Founded: Jul 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zerlos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 pm

How does economy work in an anarchic society? Why would you spend 20 years studying to become a doctor if there is no law saying I can just take what I want from someone else? This would of course then lead into violent crime and so on and choas would ensue until a powerful person or group of people rose to power forming a new government anyway. Anarchy isn't a way to run a country it's a way a country runs until it gets a government.

Agorya
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Potenco wrote:
Seitonjin wrote:Terrible. Anarcho-Anything is stupid, unrealistic, and dangerous.

What about Anarcho Statism?

BTW guys, do Anarcho Capitalists exist anywhere besides the internet?

I saw a picture which had an anarcho-capitalist flag at a Tea Party rally.

The tea partiers can have that moron.

I don't really like anarcho-primitivists, myself. How is society suppose to function with everybody living like animals?
Last edited by Agorya on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian Purity Score: 142/160

Economic Left/Right: 8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Disregard love, amass capital.

Also, Bonobos.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Anarchism is the destination for the search for the most of the most moral system in which to govern society.

Zerlos wrote:How does economy work in an anarchic society? Why would you spend 20 years studying to become a doctor if there is no law saying I can just take what I want from someone else? This would of course then lead into violent crime and so on and choas would ensue until a powerful person or group of people rose to power forming a new government anyway. Anarchy isn't a way to run a country it's a way a country runs until it gets a government.
No anarchist that has spent over a minute contemplating their ideology opposes the existence of governments or laws. The lack of social hierarchies does not mean we support a society that operates on the principles of every man for himself.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Mkuki wrote:A horrible ideology that is just a step or two above fascism. That's my opinion on anarchism. At least on a large scale. On a small scale I think anarchism, like communism, can work. Nothing larger than your average-sized medieval village, though.

Let me guess: you think "large-scale anarchy" is the same thing as failed states? In any case, anarchism should start at the level of individual communities.

Regnum Dominae wrote:Arachnism is stupid and inevitably leads to tyranny.

Assertion time!
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Zerlos wrote:How does economy work in an anarchic society? Why would you spend 20 years studying to become a doctor if there is no law saying I can just take what I want from someone else? This would of course then lead into violent crime and so on and choas would ensue until a powerful person or group of people rose to power forming a new government anyway. Anarchy isn't a way to run a country it's a way a country runs until it gets a government.

Anarchism has many answers to the Economic question, a An-Cap would say the employer would have the responsibility to vet it's employee's if they wanted to keep up a reputation in this case for excellent medical care a anarcho-communist would probably say that the community would recognize a good doctor and invest him with the responsibilities thereof.

The ways of making sure things don't break down into complete chaos depend really on what type of anarchy we are talking, I personally don't believe they are tenable without complete agreement with those living in but that's not to say if everyone in the society accepted the premise it couldn't work.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Olivaero wrote:Anarchism has many answers to the Economic question, a An-Cap would say the employer would have the responsibility to vet it's employee's if they wanted to keep up a reputation in this case for excellent medical care
"Anarcho-capitalists" are irrelevent to this conversation because one cannot be both an anarchist and a capitalist.

The ways of making sure things don't break down into complete chaos depend really on what type of anarchy we are talking, I personally don't believe they are tenable without complete agreement with those living in but that's not to say if everyone in the society accepted the premise it couldn't work.
Ultimately any economic system that does not incorporate the use of hierarchies is compatible with anarchism, though I have yet to see a system that better represents this opposition to hierarchy better than communism.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Question:

In anarchic society, what is going to prevent power heirarchies from forming?
Forever a Communist

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Direct Democracy ON THE LOCAL LEVEL appeals to me, but Representatives are required at some point.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Blasveck wrote:Question:

Presumably laws would be instated to prevent others from taking power in such a manner, just as we have laws in place today that prevent people from trying to otherthrow the government and establish themselves as leaders. However, I can't see it being a major threat, as hierarchies are not simply about elevating some, but oppressing others. Many people would have to accept their position below this individual in order for them to succeed. If they are comfortable with their position in society, which much be the case for anarchism to work, then they would have no reason to do this.
She/they

Agorya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 pm

This is simple: There wouldn't be any need for hierarchies since the free market would make demand for it very low. Most codes would be moral and ethical ones, and the actual legal codes would be enforced by private competitors for the Law industry.

Also, Bonobos.

Gernonai
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gernonai » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:15 pm

The people having an agreement that they are all equal and that they will all work together for the common good. It does require people to sort of ignore their instincts to be greedy and lazy to help themselves and their neighbors.
A New Ideology!
Factbook
Current Commander-In-Chief: General Hans Albeer
Total Military Strength- 65,000,000 (10,000,000 Active, 55,000,000 Reserve)

Personnel Distribution:
National Guard: 1,500,000
Army: 18,000,000
Air Force: 16,500,000
Air Defense Network: 5,000,000
Navy: 15,000,000
Coast Guard: 6,000,000
Special Forces: 3,000,000

Military Alert Level- {5}4321

Current Fuhrer: Ernst Ueden
Current Senate Majority Ideology: National Conservative Party
Current Minister of Defense: General Marc Antoin
Current Minister of the Navy: Albert Tytia
Current Minister of Aerial Defense: Hanf von Skovi
Current Minister of Economics: Rubert Eichfon
Current Supreme Judge: Karl Luntung
Current Minister of Foreign Affairs: Skott Nister

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Anarchism is the destination for the search for the most of the most moral system in which to govern society.

No anarchist that has spent over a minute contemplating their ideology opposes the existence of governments or laws. The lack of social hierarchies does not mean we support a society that operates on the principles of every man for himself.

Rule of law would still be rule, would it not?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Agorya wrote:

This is simple: There wouldn't be any need for hierarchies since the free market would make demand for it very low. Most codes would be moral and ethical ones, and the actual legal codes would be enforced by private competitors for the Law industry.

I hear this a lot from An-Caps, that Ancapism is the most moral system.
Morality is inherently subjective.

Also, what makes the state illegitimate?
Forever a Communist

Agorya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Anarchism is the destination for the search for the most of the most moral system in which to govern society.

Rule of law would still be rule, would it not?

Only if you *ask* for it, and it cannot be forced upon you without consent.

Also, Bonobos.

Ironcastle
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ironcastle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

I despise the idea of a society without laws. It would lead to a complete breakdown in order, the disruption of all services and a ruined economy. While it may work in a village or small town scale, it has never worked in the large scale. I mean, just look at Somalia! After having no government for such a long time, the vast majority of people there love in complete poverty, under the warlords who have taken control. The only way anarchism could work is if human nature itself was changed, and we all weren't as selfish and greedy.
All information on Ironcastle can be found at either NSwiki or the factbook.
President Bradley Lister
Secretary of State Henry Annan
Ironian Ambassador to the WA Clifford Andrews

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Agorya wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Rule of law would still be rule, would it not?

Then it's pointless.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Agorya wrote:

That's nice but what happens when someone simply WANTS to.
You say it wouldn't happen but for the sake of argument lets say it did, what then.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Genivaria wrote:Direct Democracy ON THE LOCAL LEVEL appeals to me, but Representatives are required at some point.
I have no issue with representatives, as long as the people are still ultimately responsible for the running of affairs. If say there was an emergency that affected several people, then it would seem reasonable to elect representatives for your community to meet with others and discuss the issue at hand. The representative could stay in contact with their community and rely the decisions of their community to the council. This individual would represent them, but ultimately it would be the people themselves who would actually decide what is to be done. No individual is given more authority than anyone else.
She/they

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Agorya wrote:

It can, if you have enough manpower.

Might makes the ability to make something right or wrong.
Forever a Communist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Ironcastle wrote:I despise the idea of a society without laws. It would lead to a complete breakdown in order, the disruption of all services and a ruined economy. While it may work in a village or small town scale, it has never worked in the large scale. I mean, just look at Somalia! After having no government for such a long time, the vast majority of people there love in complete poverty, under the warlords who have taken control. The only way anarchism could work is if human nature itself was changed, and we all weren't as selfish and greedy.

I don't know if you can make Somalia synonymous with anarchy, any more than you can make North Korea synonymous with statism. A better example might be Kowloon
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Agorya wrote:

And what happens when a group of people who do use force stumble upon your little utopia? Ask them nicely to go away?

Gernonai
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gernonai » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Ironcastle wrote:I despise the idea of a society without laws. It would lead to a complete breakdown in order, the disruption of all services and a ruined economy. While it may work in a village or small town scale, it has never worked in the large scale. I mean, just look at Somalia! After having no government for such a long time, the vast majority of people there love in complete poverty, under the warlords who have taken control. The only way anarchism could work is if human nature itself was changed, and we all weren't as selfish and greedy.

Somalia is only anarchy by the dictionary definition, "chaos". In actuality it is a number of warlords vying for power and seizing the resources of the nation by force.
A New Ideology!
Factbook
Current Commander-In-Chief: General Hans Albeer
Total Military Strength- 65,000,000 (10,000,000 Active, 55,000,000 Reserve)

Personnel Distribution:
National Guard: 1,500,000
Army: 18,000,000
Air Force: 16,500,000
Air Defense Network: 5,000,000
Navy: 15,000,000
Coast Guard: 6,000,000
Special Forces: 3,000,000

Military Alert Level- {5}4321

Current Fuhrer: Ernst Ueden
Current Senate Majority Ideology: National Conservative Party
Current Minister of Defense: General Marc Antoin
Current Minister of the Navy: Albert Tytia
Current Minister of Aerial Defense: Hanf von Skovi
Current Minister of Economics: Rubert Eichfon
Current Supreme Judge: Karl Luntung
Current Minister of Foreign Affairs: Skott Nister

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Agorya wrote:

And what happens when a group of people who do use force stumble upon your little utopia? Ask them nicely to go away?

From an anarchist viewpoint, doesn't the state do that anyway?
Forever a Communist

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I hold two mutually exclusive views of anarchism depending on my mood, that are functionally the same view on anarchism.

1. All systems are anarchism, there is only anarchism.
2. All anarchisms have a system, there is no anarchism.

I'm prepared to defend either of these claims.
Functionally speaking, there is absolutely no difference between our current system and an anarchy where one gang has gotten particularly powerful. So we might be an anarchy.
OR, that might mean that anarchy simply isn't possible, and necessarily degrades into a form of government.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General