NATION

PASSWORD

Beating up your girlfriend's suitors

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:46 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:No, they aren't, and I will never say they are.

However, understanding the motivation goes a long way towards combating the crime. Further, it is best to understand that there is no simple solution.

I really don't think the motivation is the key here. I think in the case of abuse (not going to talk about rape, because it would be a threadjack), it's a personal problem of the abuser. As you say, there is no simple solution, but addressing the "problem" of cheating in our society in order to address abuse is going the wrong way.

Normally. Often times the abuser is themself abused, usually emotionally and mentally rather than physically. This leads to them justifying their actions in their mind, often times made worse when the person they are abusing had been/is emotionally abusing them. When that is the case, as it many times can be, both parties are at fault, and both are victims. However, neither of them deserved the abuse. (sorry if this is a little bit off topic).

In order to combat this problem, we have to curtail both emotional and physical abuse. Of course, I have no idea how to stamp out the first one (it is hard to make illegal, as you must understand).

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:51 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:No, they aren't, and I will never say they are.

However, understanding the motivation goes a long way towards combating the crime. Further, it is best to understand that there is no simple solution.

I really don't think the motivation is the key here. I think in the case of abuse (not going to talk about rape, because it would be a threadjack), it's a personal problem of the abuser. As you say, there is no simple solution, but addressing the "problem" of cheating in our society in order to address abuse is going the wrong way.

Well, most abusers where abused themselves, so they take it out on other people(Children if their parents) and they think they can justify it.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Temujinn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Because nothing ever has reasons, right?

Sure does. I know a guy who's doing a five year prison term for beating up his girl and the guy she was with. He broke into the bloke's house, so it was ruled as a home invasion.

I just don't think reasons for abuse are any more valid than "reasons for rape".

This has nothing to do with you making a spurious claim, and then deflecting away when asked for a source.

You dont seem to have a problem asking people for sources, so how about you end this little redirect and either retract your claim, or support it?
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.
Conserative Morality wrote:Is accusing someone of being a WASP likely to damage their reputation?.... I openly admit that I use it disparagingly. Something about the mentality of the group referred to being rather contrary to American values.
Do you know someone who might be a White Protestant of English ancestry, report them to your block Sargeant CM, and he will drag them before the New House Committee on Un-American Activities. Report your neighbors.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I really don't think the motivation is the key here. I think in the case of abuse (not going to talk about rape, because it would be a threadjack), it's a personal problem of the abuser. As you say, there is no simple solution, but addressing the "problem" of cheating in our society in order to address abuse is going the wrong way.

Normally. Often times the abuser is themself abused, usually emotionally and mentally rather than physically. This leads to them justifying their actions in their mind, often times made worse when the person they are abusing had been/is emotionally abusing them. When that is the case, as it many times can be, both parties are at fault, and both are victims. However, neither of them deserved the abuse. (sorry if this is a little bit off topic).

In order to combat this problem, we have to curtail both emotional and physical abuse. Of course, I have no idea how to stamp out the first one (it is hard to make illegal, as you must understand).

Yeah, of course. But looking for problems in the victim's actions isn't advisable.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:00 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Normally. Often times the abuser is themself abused, usually emotionally and mentally rather than physically. This leads to them justifying their actions in their mind, often times made worse when the person they are abusing had been/is emotionally abusing them. When that is the case, as it many times can be, both parties are at fault, and both are victims. However, neither of them deserved the abuse. (sorry if this is a little bit off topic).

Yeah, of course. But looking for problems in the victim's actions isn't advisable.

It is needed to understand the situation fully.

Final text here.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:05 am

Temujinn wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Sure does. I know a guy who's doing a five year prison term for beating up his girl and the guy she was with. He broke into the bloke's house, so it was ruled as a home invasion.

I just don't think reasons for abuse are any more valid than "reasons for rape".

This has nothing to do with you making a spurious claim, and then deflecting away when asked for a source.

You dont seem to have a problem asking people for sources, so how about you end this little redirect and either retract your claim, or support it?

Jealousy is nearly always a defining trait of an abusive person, dude. You seriously want me to find a source shows that every time a guy beats woman in regards to it, that he doesn't go out and beat up the guy he suspects?
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Nailed to the Perch
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nailed to the Perch » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:15 am

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Yeah, of course. But looking for problems in the victim's actions isn't advisable.

It is needed to understand the situation fully.

I'm unclear on what "understanding" we need beyond "abusing people is not okay, and the abuser chose to do it anyway." I don't give a flying fuck if an abuser claims to beat their victim because they cheated or because they came home late or because they burnt dinner or because they said the wrong thing or because they did exactly what their abuser said they wanted but it turned out to be a trap. The actual answer to "why did the abuser abuse" is "because they chose to," not "because they MADE me hit them," no matter how many abusers claim otherwise.
Useless Eaters wrote:This is a clear attempt to flamenco.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 am

Nailed to the Perch wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:It is needed to understand the situation fully.

I'm unclear on what "understanding" we need beyond "abusing people is not okay, and the abuser chose to do it anyway." I don't give a flying fuck if an abuser claims to beat their victim because they cheated or because they came home late or because they burnt dinner or because they said the wrong thing or because they did exactly what their abuser said they wanted but it turned out to be a trap. The actual answer to "why did the abuser abuse" is "because they chose to," not "because they MADE me hit them," no matter how many abusers claim otherwise.

Because you cannot stop something without understanding it. Nothing is as black and white as you want to make this seem.

Final text here.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:36 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
SaintB wrote:I look at it this way, if I have to fight some other dude to keep my girlfriend then she isn't worth the effort anyway.

Yeah, people who are impressed by violence really aren't the best option for a long-term relationship.

That and if they are always showing interest in other partners they must not be very interested in the one they already have. (this excludes certain types of open relationships)
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:16 am

Roleplaying Scott Pilgrim is always an option.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:05 am

Hathradic States wrote:
Nailed to the Perch wrote:

Because you cannot stop something without understanding it. Nothing is as black and white as you want to make this seem.

I think you're looking for "understanding" in the wrong place. Abusive people don't really need a reason, sometimes they just make a reason up. They're abusive because they like it. It's about control and power, it's not about whatever justification the abuser comes up with. No matter how much data you gather on the abuser's SO "looking at someone wrong" or "coming home too late", it will never have any application in regards to fixing the abusive behavior.

And abuse is black and white, because it is always wrong and never right.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Because you cannot stop something without understanding it. Nothing is as black and white as you want to make this seem.

I think you're looking for "understanding" in the wrong place. Abusive people don't really need a reason, sometimes they just make a reason up. They're abusive because they like it. It's about control and power, it's not about whatever justification the abuser comes up with. No matter how much data you gather on the abuser's SO "looking at someone wrong" or "coming home too late", it will never have any application in regards to fixing the abusive behavior.

Actually, I am more thinking of "downs their SO (the physical abuser)", "treats them like shit", "cusses them out", etc. Just as wrong as the physical abuse, if not more so. What causes both reactions, which are equally wrong, is what I want to find out, and understand why. Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm going to be an abuser". There is always a reason, real or imagined. In order to truly defeat abuse, one must find the true root of it.

Furthermore, nothing is black and white, Parkus. Anybody who says something is strikes me as terribly idealist, and I am amazed they made it to adulthood with their sanity intact.

Final text here.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:14 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nailed to the Perch wrote:...or you could just not beat anyone. Crazy, I know, but it just might work.

Nailed it in one.
The correct response is to either talk out the problem with your significant other, or to smile calmly, get the car keys, and leave them.

^This.

Violence in this case is so not the way to go.

And OP, really? Advocating violence against a woman just because she cheated? Should I advocate women beat the shit out of their cheating boyfriends/husbands/SOs? FFS.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:15 am

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I think you're looking for "understanding" in the wrong place. Abusive people don't really need a reason, sometimes they just make a reason up. They're abusive because they like it. It's about control and power, it's not about whatever justification the abuser comes up with. No matter how much data you gather on the abuser's SO "looking at someone wrong" or "coming home too late", it will never have any application in regards to fixing the abusive behavior.

Actually, I am more thinking of "downs their SO (the physical abuser)", "treats them like shit", "cusses them out", etc. Just as wrong as the physical abuse, if not more so. What causes both reactions, which are equally wrong, is what I want to find out, and understand why. Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm going to be an abuser". There is always a reason, real or imagined. In order to truly defeat abuse, one must find the true root of it.

Furthermore, nothing is black and white, Parkus. Anybody who says something is strikes me as terribly idealist, and I am amazed they made it to adulthood with their sanity intact.

Yes, certain things are black and white. Rape and abuse are two of them. "Cussing someone out" doesn't justify either, they are both just as wrong regardless.

The root of it isn't the "provocation", the root of it is the abuser's personal issues. Those can best be addressed through counseling or therapy.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:19 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Actually, I am more thinking of "downs their SO (the physical abuser)", "treats them like shit", "cusses them out", etc. Just as wrong as the physical abuse, if not more so. What causes both reactions, which are equally wrong, is what I want to find out, and understand why. Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm going to be an abuser". There is always a reason, real or imagined. In order to truly defeat abuse, one must find the true root of it.

Yes, certain things are black and white. Rape and abuse are two of them. "Cussing someone out" doesn't justify either, they are both just as wrong regardless.

The root of it isn't the "provocation", the root of it is the abuser's personal issues. Those can best be addressed through counseling or therapy.

From your view, they might be. But, this is not a discussion of relativism. And cussing someone out is just as bad as beating them, believe me.

There is no one solid root. In order to destroy the beast, one must use all avenues of assault on the abuser mindset. Focusing on just one is foolish. You cannot hope to understand them without being in their minds first.

Final text here.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:24 am

Hathradic States wrote:And cussing someone out is just as bad as beating them, believe me.

No, I really don't think I will.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:26 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:And cussing someone out is just as bad as beating them, believe me.

What I am referring to with that, is emotional abuse. Words do hurt people, sometimes severely. To say that it isn't as bad as being beaten is a very narrow minded thing to say.

Final text here.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 am

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

What I am referring to with that, is emotional abuse. Words do hurt people, sometimes severely. To say that it isn't as bad as being beaten is a very narrow minded thing to say.

It's not. I have been cussed out severely a few times, and I have been beaten up a few times, once requiring stitches and staples. The former cannot compare to the latter.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:32 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:What I am referring to with that, is emotional abuse. Words do hurt people, sometimes severely. To say that it isn't as bad as being beaten is a very narrow minded thing to say.

It's not. I have been cussed out severely a few times, and I have been beaten up a few times, once requiring stitches and staples. The former cannot compare to the latter.

As have I, on both.

Now, for emotional abuse, I picked out the worst possible example. Because, what it looks like you are saying is that physical abuse > emotional abuse. Which we should both know is bullshit.

Final text here.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:33 am

Both are forms of abuse that leave lasting effects and should not be encouraged.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Both are forms of abuse that leave lasting effects and should not be encouraged.

Truth. However, most find emotional abuse not as real as physical abuse. To which I call BULLSHIT.

Final text here.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:46 am

Hathradic States wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:It's not. I have been cussed out severely a few times, and I have been beaten up a few times, once requiring stitches and staples. The former cannot compare to the latter.

As have I, on both.

Now, for emotional abuse, I picked out the worst possible example. Because, what it looks like you are saying is that physical abuse > emotional abuse. Which we should both know is bullshit.

It looks like you're saying that beating the shit out someone is no worse than cussing them out.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:58 am

Didn't mean to imply beating anyone was the correct response, I'm just asking why you think the girl is usually safe but the guy guys beat up.

Where do you get that assumption from in the first place? There are countless cases of domestic abuse and even inter-relationship killings who disagree with you.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 am

Kromar wrote:This is something that has bugged me for a while. Why do guys fight the guys their girlfriends cheat on them with? And for the guys of NSG, would you do this? Have you ever been on the receiving end?

My guess about why this happens is the cheated-on guy becomes violently angry, but refrains from beating his girlfriend either because he still likes her, or because he has been taught by society that harming women is unacceptable, but harming other men is more acceptable.
As someone who does not respect the sanctity of (other people's) relationships, this is bad for me. I'd much rather the guy beat up his girlfriend -- she's the one who cheated -- and leave the guy alone, because he didn't make her cheat.

EDIT: Yea, or you could beat up no one, as I would do.

Wow, what a gentleman you are! "Hey, bro, she be the bitch that cheated, beat her up, not me!"
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:07 am

Shofercia wrote:
Kromar wrote:This is something that has bugged me for a while. Why do guys fight the guys their girlfriends cheat on them with? And for the guys of NSG, would you do this? Have you ever been on the receiving end?

My guess about why this happens is the cheated-on guy becomes violently angry, but refrains from beating his girlfriend either because he still likes her, or because he has been taught by society that harming women is unacceptable, but harming other men is more acceptable.
As someone who does not respect the sanctity of (other people's) relationships, this is bad for me. I'd much rather the guy beat up his girlfriend -- she's the one who cheated -- and leave the guy alone, because he didn't make her cheat.

EDIT: Yea, or you could beat up no one, as I would do.

Wow, what a gentleman you are! "Hey, bro, she be the bitch that cheated, beat her up, not me!"

*slaps woman on ass*
*gets beat up*
*rants on forum*
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General