NATION

PASSWORD

Should we eliminate race labeling?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:34 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:exactly.
"I don't believe in living in harmony with people from other cultures" is a bad thing.
Also very unamerican.

Multiculturalism is terrible. Ask the Roman Empire.

The Roman Empire was multicultural from its very founding. In fact, that was one of its greatest strengths.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:46 am

Caninope wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Multiculturalism is terrible. Ask the Roman Empire.

The Roman Empire was multicultural from its very founding. In fact, that was one of its greatest strengths.

I think what they're saying is that it collapsed.

Which is lulz.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am

OptimusOctopus wrote:Why does america call all their people, "X-American"?

Or better yet, since they all originate in America, why don't we all call them, "Americans"?

It's the same with Canada, albeit the X is replaced with nationality there.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:51 am

Hallistar wrote:
OptimusOctopus wrote:Why does america call all their people, "X-American"?

Or better yet, since they all originate in America, why don't we all call them, "Americans"?

Same with the British. The French. The Chinese...Australians...Indonesians...

Holy crap, it's everyone!

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:52 am

Norstal wrote:
Hallistar wrote:

Same with the British. The French. The Chinese...Australians...Indonesians...

Holy crap - that's entirely the point. It's not some unique American phenomenon.
Last edited by Hallistar on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quackquackhonk
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Quackquackhonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm

AETEN II wrote:What I do call bullshit though is people that don't want police officers to use race as means to track down a criminal on the run.

i've never heard anyone, would you provide evidence that this is a real thing?

OptimusOctopus
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby OptimusOctopus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Hallistar wrote:
Norstal wrote:Same with the British. The French. The Chinese...Australians...Indonesians...

Holy crap - that's entirely the point. It's not some unique American phenomenon.

Well, it shouldn't be anywhere!

:evil:
Please do not take my uninformed opinions too seriously.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 am

OptimusOctopus wrote:
Hallistar wrote:

Well, it shouldn't be anywhere!

:evil:

The hell do you mean? Different cultures have different ways of accepting people. And most immigrants want to retain some of their culture as well.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:58 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
No I insist, I'm a White American because I'm White and there is no way that I'm the same as an Asian, Black, Latino, or native American person. For one thing, we all come from completely different histories and subcultures.

Uh no you come from the exact same history and culture if you were raised in the same place.

the closest thing you can get to valid races for humans has several "black" races and one race that included everyone else including many black people.
A Scandinavian, Incan, and Australian Aborigine are all more closely related to each other than two random Sub-saharan Africans are.

I've had an idea for a thread based on that kicking around in my head for a while.

You actually could make a decent argument that there is a "Master Race" if you define your "races" by genetics instead of skin color.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 am

The Truth and Light wrote:Race labeling should only be eliminated as soon as race stops being a significant factor in our everyday lives.

Which couldn't, and shouldn't happen.

It should happen.

We're looking for diversity, not homogeneity.

Why do we have to look for either one?
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:
Uh no you come from the exact same history and culture if you were raised in the same place.

the closest thing you can get to valid races for humans has several "black" races and one race that included everyone else including many black people.
A Scandinavian, Incan, and Australian Aborigine are all more closely related to each other than two random Sub-saharan Africans are.

I've had an idea for a thread based on that kicking around in my head for a while.

You actually could make a decent argument that there is a "Master Race" if you define your "races" by genetics instead of skin color.

I dunno. When you start basing 'races' upon genetic groupings, you're walking a razor's edge between making yourself irrelevant by focusing too much on the genetics (ie by accidentally revealing just how small the differences between phylogenetic 'races' are) and failing to make said 'races' meaningful in any way, particularly considering genetic relatedness isn't tied to appearance or geography inherently.

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 am

Sardine World wrote:all it is is for statistics
take a fuckin chill pill

^This. I don't see an issue with it.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:33 am

Race can be an important part of a person's identity, and can provide useful information about areas of discrimination. Eg: if we did not keep data on the race of prisoners, we would never know how blatantly un-blind justice is, and could maybe do something about it. (unless ofc no one does anything anyway)
. ♕ I am your LORD and saviour, for I am Jesus Christina Confess your sins, and ye shall be forgiven. ❤ .
One of Le Sexiest NSers 2013. Call me ¡¥. Now a fascist because rape is bad, mmkay.
Meet the TET Pantheon
"What I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you cry with you or kiss you, I love you." - Evey (V for Vendetta)
Alleniana wrote:
New Manvir wrote:Well, it's obvious the Native Americans didn't really have a history. They were just loafing about, waiting for some white people to show up so the real fun could start.

The party don't start till I walk in
-Tik Tok, by Christopher Columbus

DrakoBlaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoBlaria » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 am

The fact that "Asian" is consindered a race should be a crime by itself
Kleomentia wrote:Almighty Hellenic Overlord of Slavya, he who is the son of Zeus and the father of Greekishness.
When Greeks stop being nationalists, they stop being Greeks
ABOUT ME:
Male, Greek Nationalist, Orthodox Christian, State Capitalist
EU, communism, abortion, Greek/Turkish friendship, NATO, illegal immigration, Globalism, FYROM, gay marriage
Enosis, Megali Idea, Putin, Guns, Nationalism, Equallity, Kurdistan, Assyria
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.74

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:36 am

DrakoBlaria wrote:The fact that "Asian" is consindered a race should be a crime by itself

You're right, it ought to be Eurasian.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 am

Avenio wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I dunno. When you start basing 'races' upon genetic groupings, you're walking a razor's edge between making yourself irrelevant by focusing too much on the genetics (ie by accidentally revealing just how small the differences between phylogenetic 'races' are) and failing to make said 'races' meaningful in any way, particularly considering genetic relatedness isn't tied to appearance or geography inherently.

Not really. It's pretty simple to come up with a system of 3 genetically-based races, one of which dominates the world. There is nothing embarrassing to accidentally reveal because this is not a political ideology that intends to turn races into castes. It's not a tool designed to justify ethnic nationalism or discrimination based on appearance.

And genetically-defined "races" would be far from meaningless. There is a huge amount of economic inequality between them.

Rachel Miller
Civilian

Founded: Jul 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rachel Miller » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:56 am

Its really shocking to know that in this 21 century also people care about one another race, caste, creed or religion. Cant all be same and be known as human kind just?

Aquafireland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquafireland » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 am

Well there are some pros and cons to it. The pros are that you can identify the client easily. The cons is that it's kind of racist.
abc|xyz

“Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own.”
-Angelina Jolie

Aquafireland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquafireland » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 am

Rachel Miller wrote:Its really shocking to know that in this 21 century also people care about one another race, caste, creed or religion. Cant all be same and be known as human kind just?

Well, you actually have a point, my friend.
abc|xyz

“Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own.”
-Angelina Jolie

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:35 am

No.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:05 am

Well I just want to say I am offended at being called white. i am not white. I am pink, or perhaps a sort of pinkish beige. Why do they call me white? What am I, a goddamned albino or something? Huh? I am not white! I am a proud European-American.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General