NATION

PASSWORD

Escaping the 'Gay Culture'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United states of awsomeness
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United states of awsomeness » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Dakini wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
If you had to pick an image to represent you to the entire world would it be of you in your halloween costume?

If I had to represent myself having fun at a party, sure! I like people to know that I'm capable of having a good time and a sense of humour about myself (and it's probably better than the party pictures where I'm clearly wasted).

I mean, really? If you think that pride parades are representative of how anyone is all the time then you're an idiot. Sure, maybe the guys in the assless chaps do that on the weekend in a club, but during the week they're probably your normal suit and tie* unsuspecting guys you'd never look twice at (except to check out).

*or whatever attire is appropriate for their jobs

You guys are way off topic.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Choronzon wrote:How could I possibly say that without being plugged into the Gay Hivemind?

I would say they are an adequate representation of enough homosexuals, and that even homosexuals who aren't like that every day enjoy dressing up once a year.

But the numbers who are nothing but glitters and rainbows in their day to day lives are irrelevant, because the whole flaunting gayness thing is kind of the point of gay pride parades. But I forget that you're one of those people who just utterly fails to grasp the point of a marginalized group's pride movements, and just goes 'hur hur hur pride is always dumb this is my false egalitarianism."

You're saying being flamboyant is PART of being gay.

Nope.

But your inability to grasp what is being said is nothing new.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm

United states of awsomeness wrote:
Dakini wrote:If I had to represent myself having fun at a party, sure! I like people to know that I'm capable of having a good time and a sense of humour about myself (and it's probably better than the party pictures where I'm clearly wasted).

I mean, really? If you think that pride parades are representative of how anyone is all the time then you're an idiot. Sure, maybe the guys in the assless chaps do that on the weekend in a club, but during the week they're probably your normal suit and tie* unsuspecting guys you'd never look twice at (except to check out).

You guys are way off topic.

This is more fun than the topic.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Dakini wrote:If I had to represent myself having fun at a party, sure! I like people to know that I'm capable of having a good time and a sense of humour about myself (and it's probably better than the party pictures where I'm clearly wasted).

Would you say you're confident in the intelligence of most people?

When you push the feather boa as the image of what gay people are you force people to believe that is what gay people are. When that's the image you popularize that's the image that shows up in popular depictions, that becomes the primary picture of the entire culture.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United states of awsomeness » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
United states of awsomeness wrote:You guys are way off topic.

This is more fun than the topic.

Then continue I'm not a mod.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm

The topic is "escaping gay culture" we're discussing whether or not it's necessary to escape "gay culture." We are as on topic as this thread's ever been.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Rawrckia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrckia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Rawrckia wrote:The slippery slope doesn't wait for gay marriage to be legalized, there is already talk of "beastiality brothels" in Germany, possibility lowering age of consent in Britain/recognizing pedophilia as a sexual orientation in the U.S., etc.

Source?

Also, reforming British age of consent laws is totally reasonable. What's your problem with it? They're not legalizing child molestation.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/398218 ... -barrister

Turns out I was wrong about Germany - there were a number of "erotic zoos" in existence already and animals were being pimped out regularly. They're going to reinstate the law against beastiality within a decade I believe (it's been legal since 1969)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 ... 91677.html
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18
"Build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm through the night. Set a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."
PRO: Hugs
ANTI: Loud noises

San Benedict e San Francesco
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby San Benedict e San Francesco » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

When you push the feather boa as the image of what gay people are you force people to believe that is what gay people are. When that's the image you popularize that's the image that shows up in popular depictions, that becomes the primary picture of the entire culture.

I don't know about you, but most of my media exposure to gay characters has been the non-queer (heteronormative) variety.

Most of my real-life exposure has been about fifty-fifty.

So I'm not sure that the primary picture I have of a gay in my head is a tube-top, man-capris, and a pink feather boa, with the voice of Jasper from Family Guy.

Well, damn it, it is now. [/sarcasm]
Mission for the Practice of Diplomacy
Bear in mind that, while I am not a Poe per-se, the See takes a more traditionalist view in many ways than I myself do
Secretary-General, NS Pedantic Society. Well, really, we're more of a Group.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:It's not so much that we're off-topic as it is that the topic has run screaming from the thread.

Anti Communismm
Secretary

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Communismm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Dalmacie wrote:

Sweetie, do not argue French politics with a Frenchman.

150,000 is perfectly regular.

It is in fact sort-of sub-par.

You underestimate the French will to protest.

Here, let me give you a list of "large protests". Source in case you want to claim I'm lying: http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/galeries-photos/social/20100908.OBS9567/les-10-plus-grandes-manifestations-en-france-depuis-15-ans.html

10- 1 May 2002: 1.3 million march in Paris against the candidacy of Jean-Marine Le Pen in the presidential elections.

9- 18 March 2008: 1.5 million against new employment contracts.

8- 3 June 2003: 1.5 million against retirement reform.

7- 24 June 2010: 2 million against retirement reform.

6- 13 May 2003: 2 million against retirement reform. (What a pattern :p )

5- 12 December 1995: 2.2 million against social security reform.

4- 29 January 2009: 2.5 million against the economic crisis.

3- 7 September 2010: 2.5 to 3 million against retirement reform.

2- 28 March 2006: 3 million against employment contracts.

1- 19 March 2009: 3 million against the economic crisis.

And that's just in the last 15 years.

Please, try again.

150.000 to 340.000 Is a good number and shouldn't be underestimated .

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/1.4-million-march-against-gay-marriage-in-france-police-tear-gas-crowd-chil/
Smash The Left

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United states of awsomeness » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

The topic is "escaping gay culture" we're discussing whether or not it's necessary to escape "gay culture." We are as on topic as this thread's ever been.

Okay, but not the post that I said was off topic.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Dakini wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
If you had to pick an image to represent you to the entire world would it be of you in your halloween costume?

If I had to represent myself having fun at a party, sure! I like people to know that I'm capable of having a good time and have a sense of humour about myself (and it's probably better than the party pictures where I'm clearly wasted).

See, I think the thing of it is it's not just pride parades.

The high-pitched, assless chap and/or tutu wearing, gay male has become a cultural PHENOMENON. It's how gay men are presented in much media. It's how people who otherwise don't interact with gay people are introduced to gay people, via horribly inaccurate media portrayals.

Same goes for the flannel and baseball cap-wearing butch lesbian (hell, this one might be even MORE common).

Sure if you think that's how all gay people are you're an idiot, but well...There's a lot of idiots out there and the media has a lot of sway over their perceptions.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
Would you say they're an adequate representation of most homosexuals?

How could I possibly say that without being plugged into the Gay Hivemind?

I would say they are an adequate representation of enough homosexuals, and that even homosexuals who aren't like that every day enjoy dressing up once a year.

But the numbers who are nothing but glitters and rainbows in their day to day lives are irrelevant, because the whole flaunting gayness thing is kind of the point of gay pride parades. But I forget that you're one of those people who just utterly fails to grasp the point of a marginalized group's pride movements, and just goes 'hur hur hur pride is always dumb this is my false egalitarianism."

I mean it's not like one of the huge fucking points of gay pride is to enable people to act like the campiest of campy gay men without being killed for it.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Dakini wrote:If I had to represent myself having fun at a party, sure! I like people to know that I'm capable of having a good time and have a sense of humour about myself (and it's probably better than the party pictures where I'm clearly wasted).

The high-pitched, assless chap and/or tutu wearing, gay male has become a cultural PHENOMENON. It's how gay men are presented in much media. It's how people who otherwise don't interact with gay people are introduced to gay people, via horribly inaccurate media portrayals.

Same goes for the flannel and baseball cap-wearing butch lesbian (hell, this one might be even MORE common).

Sure if you think that's how all gay people are you're an idiot, but well...There's a lot of idiots out there and the media has a lot of sway over their perceptions.

Omigod, I, like, loooooove this post! It's so fabulous and sense-chic! Omigod, I need some pants to match!
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

Except...no?

I mean, I literally cannot think of anybody who holds that as the "primary picture" of gay culture. Yes, people associate that with campy, stereotypical gay culture, but I seriously do not know a single solitary human being who thinks that actual gay culture is like that.

And I live in gay-o-sexual Boston. We have fucktons of gay clubs, queer parades, Pride festivals, and all manner of gay culture events. Hell, I am a 5 minute walk from what is arguably THE dyke coffee house this side of the Charles River. None of that has blinded anybody to what gay culture really is, any more than the club scene on Lansdowne has convinced everyone that heterosexual culture is about lycra pants and fluorescent tube tops.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

Nope. But to hell with them. Why would you let other people being stupid rain on your parade?

I'm not pushing the feather boa as the image of what gay people are. Some people like having feather boas around for parties. Some people like making themselves into giant peacocks with rainbow balloons for a tail. Some people just like removing as much clothing as they're legally allowed to and running around with some rainbow body paint. Some people think it's fun to sit on the sidelines wearing their every day clothes while waving rainbow flags. Whatever. It's all in good fun because it's a celebration.

A revolution without dancing and merriment is not worth having.
Last edited by Dakini on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Dakini wrote:If I had to represent myself having fun at a party, sure! I like people to know that I'm capable of having a good time and have a sense of humour about myself (and it's probably better than the party pictures where I'm clearly wasted).

Which is a problem with the media and the idiots who believe that representation, not with people who wear assless chaps at pride.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Just like people who reject feminism because it has fem in the name, those who hate gays because they feel we're too flamboyant aren't worth courting.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I'd say that stereotype is significantly less common than in the past, and is even considered outdated by most. And the idiots have ALWAYS taken a long time to catch up, and nothing has ever been accomplished by waiting for them.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Bottle wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Except...no?

I mean, I literally cannot think of anybody who holds that as the "primary picture" of gay culture. Yes, people associate that with campy, stereotypical gay culture, but I seriously do not know a single solitary human being who thinks that actual gay culture is like that.

And I live in gay-o-sexual Boston. We have fucktons of gay clubs, queer parades, Pride festivals, and all manner of gay culture events. Hell, I am a 5 minute walk from what is arguably THE dyke coffee house this side of the Charles River. None of that has blinded anybody to what gay culture really is, any more than the club scene on Lansdowne has convinced everyone that heterosexual culture is about lycra pants and fluorescent tube tops.

Boston gay clubs are wicked queeah.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:See, I think the thing of it is it's not just pride parades.

Omigod, I, like, loooooove this post! It's so fabulous and sense-chic! Omigod, I need some pants to match!

No, you don't need pants. That's the whole point :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Bottle wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Except...no?

I mean, I literally cannot think of anybody who holds that as the "primary picture" of gay culture.

I can, actually.

They're giant, unapologetic, raging homophobes however.
Last edited by Choronzon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalmacie
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Anti Communismm wrote:

150.000 to 340.000 Is a good number and shouldn't be underestimated .

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/1.4-million-march-against-gay-marriage-in-france-police-tear-gas-crowd-chil/

That's fantastic.

Which matters why?

You claimed it was large and significant, I proved otherwise.

You are now claiming that it is significant regardless, when it actually isn't.

400,000 is a, at best, average number to get for a protest in France.

Not to mention that the polls showed that the majority of the people still supported SSM regardless, and wanted the protests to stop.

Would you like a source? I am more than willing to provide them if you doubt my honesty again.
Last edited by Dalmacie on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Dakini wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:I would legitimately cosplay a character from one of my favorite game/anime every day for a year straight if it wouldn't get me fired/lynched.

Because costumes are fun!

Granted, I feel like part of the fun of costumes is that they're not something you wear every day.

Costumes actually are fun. Lots of fun.

Rawrckia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrckia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Dalmacie wrote:10- 1 May 2002: 1.3 million march in Paris against the candidacy of Jean-Marine Le Pen in the presidential elections.

Really? Huh. I thought Le Pen was pretty cool judging from her principles.
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18
"Build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm through the night. Set a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."
PRO: Hugs
ANTI: Loud noises

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Bottle wrote:Except...no?

Boston gay clubs are wicked queeah.

I am profoundly bothered by the fact that I do not own a sparkly baby-doll shirt with this slogan on it.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Bottle wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Boston gay clubs are wicked queeah.

I am profoundly bothered by the fact that I do not own a sparkly baby-doll shirt with this slogan on it.

I should sell those.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General