NATION

PASSWORD

Who wrote the Bible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who wrote the Bible?

It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.
131
52%
It was written and compiled from numerous sources, but still reflects the key messages from God and wasn't written to achieve political aims at all.
65
26%
Mosaic authorship exists throughout the Pentateuch, the prophetic books were written by their respective prophets, and all the books were written as an accurate, monotheistic account.
19
8%
The Bible was authored by the "K" or "Knoxist" source.
4
2%
It was written by Jesus, the God-fearing middle-class white American from Texas.
17
7%
Je ne sais pas.
14
6%
 
Total votes : 250

User avatar
Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9932
Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am

Menassa wrote:You are all aware of the Bible's Laws of not planting during every seventh year.

Well if an entire agrarian nation doesn't plant in one year... will most of them not die? How can they resolve this?

Crop rotation maybe... store up some food maybe... no the Bible says not to do that.

Say what you want about Biblical Authors but they said this Leviticus 25:20

You may ask, “What will we eat in the seventh year if we do not plant or harvest our crops?” I will send you such a blessing in the sixth year that the land will yield enough for three years. While you plant during the eighth year, you will eat from the old crop and will continue to eat from it until the harvest of the ninth year comes in.

Now what bronze age agrarian people would accept this upon themselves?

Food for thought.

AGAIN, I will address this.
You're using this stupid farming thing as evidence for the bible being true. However, there is absolutely no evidence of this ever happening except... in the bible. So if you accept the bible as a factual, accurate source, only then will this story be evidence for you.
Furthermore, you're using the fact that they endure hardships for their beliefs as evidence that their beliefs are true. So why not accept the hardships of people of countless other religions as evidence for their religions?
Economic Left/Right -7.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -6.77
Also, Bonobos.
I am a market socialist, atheist, positivist, more to come
No one wrote:Haven't found a quote I really like yet

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33354
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 am

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Menassa wrote:You are all aware of the Bible's Laws of not planting during every seventh year.

Well if an entire agrarian nation doesn't plant in one year... will most of them not die? How can they resolve this?

Crop rotation maybe... store up some food maybe... no the Bible says not to do that.

Say what you want about Biblical Authors but they said this Leviticus 25:20

You may ask, “What will we eat in the seventh year if we do not plant or harvest our crops?” I will send you such a blessing in the sixth year that the land will yield enough for three years. While you plant during the eighth year, you will eat from the old crop and will continue to eat from it until the harvest of the ninth year comes in.

Now what bronze age agrarian people would accept this upon themselves?

Food for thought.

AGAIN, I will address this.
You're using this stupid farming thing as evidence for the bible being true. However, there is absolutely no evidence of this ever happening except... in the bible. So if you accept the bible as a factual, accurate source, only then will this story be evidence for you.
Furthermore, you're using the fact that they endure hardships for their beliefs as evidence that their beliefs are true. So why not accept the hardships of people of countless other religions as evidence for their religions?

Actually, not once in my post did I ever claim that the Bible was true, not once in my post did I ever say that the Bible was accurate for anything and not once did I advocate the truth of my religion over other religions.

Stop. Reread my post carefully. Respond accordingly without your own inhibitions, respond to what I'm saying and not what you think I am saying.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33354
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:00 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Menassa wrote:You are all aware of the Bible's Laws of not planting during every seventh year.

Well if an entire agrarian nation doesn't plant in one year... will most of them not die? How can they resolve this?

Crop rotation maybe... store up some food maybe... no the Bible says not to do that.

Say what you want about Biblical Authors but they said this Leviticus 25:20

You may ask, “What will we eat in the seventh year if we do not plant or harvest our crops?” I will send you such a blessing in the sixth year that the land will yield enough for three years. While you plant during the eighth year, you will eat from the old crop and will continue to eat from it until the harvest of the ninth year comes in.

Now what bronze age agrarian people would accept this upon themselves?

Food for thought.

What's your point?

People have many beliefs about Biblical Authorship, but Leviticus 25:20-22 suggests a Godly author at least to me, because who has this power over the land?

Does it prove it true? I never said that... I only say it suggests.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9932
Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am

Menassa wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:AGAIN, I will address this.
You're using this stupid farming thing as evidence for the bible being true. However, there is absolutely no evidence of this ever happening except... in the bible. So if you accept the bible as a factual, accurate source, only then will this story be evidence for you.
Furthermore, you're using the fact that they endure hardships for their beliefs as evidence that their beliefs are true. So why not accept the hardships of people of countless other religions as evidence for their religions?

Actually, not once in my post did I ever claim that the Bible was true, not once in my post did I ever say that the Bible was accurate for anything and not once did I advocate the truth of my religion over other religions.

Stop. Reread my post carefully. Respond accordingly without your own inhibitions, respond to what I'm saying and not what you think I am saying.

You said:
Now what bronze age agrarian people would accept this upon themselves?

Food for thought.


Guess what that says? That says that you're singling out the jews for being devoted, implying that there is some reason, perhaps divine.
Economic Left/Right -7.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -6.77
Also, Bonobos.
I am a market socialist, atheist, positivist, more to come
No one wrote:Haven't found a quote I really like yet

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33354
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 am

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Menassa wrote:Actually, not once in my post did I ever claim that the Bible was true, not once in my post did I ever say that the Bible was accurate for anything and not once did I advocate the truth of my religion over other religions.

Stop. Reread my post carefully. Respond accordingly without your own inhibitions, respond to what I'm saying and not what you think I am saying.

You said:
Now what bronze age agrarian people would accept this upon themselves?

Food for thought.


Guess what that says? That says that you're singling out the jews for being devoted, implying that there is some reason, perhaps divine.

No, I'm asking a question about the authorship of the Bible, challenging other peoples beliefs about Biblical Authorship.

Again, if you don't understand what I mean ask me, I'll be sure to answer don't make assumptions off of our other conversations or anything I've said in the past.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10293
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 am

Menassa wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:What's your point?

People have many beliefs about Biblical Authorship, but Leviticus 25:20-22 suggests a Godly author at least to me, because who has this power over the land?

Does it prove it true? I never said that... I only say it suggests.

But that only says Yahweh has power over the land, it doesn't provide any evidence that such a thing did happen.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:06 am

If, what you say is true. Then doesn't that mean, the bible story borrowing from other cultures proves it's wrong? I still can't understand the mental ''gymnastics'' people do, to keep believing it. I suppose comforting beliefs really are hard to let go.
I guess this sorta, proves my point that, if you show some Christians evidence, they'll still believe.
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33354
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:06 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Menassa wrote:People have many beliefs about Biblical Authorship, but Leviticus 25:20-22 suggests a Godly author at least to me, because who has this power over the land?

Does it prove it true? I never said that... I only say it suggests.

But that only says Yahweh has power over the land, it doesn't provide any evidence that such a thing did happen.

Correct, but don't you think Biblical Authors, humans, would have given more reasonable advice?

Do you believe no one kept Biblical Law until basically the 1st century?
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Dalmacie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 913
Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 am

It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.

Perfect answer.

The Bible is a book. Written by men. Including all their imperfections.

It was not written by Jesus, or God. It was written by men years after Jesus.

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 am

Dalmacie wrote:It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.

Perfect answer.

The Bible is a book. Written by men. Including all their imperfections.

It was not written by Jesus, or God. It was written by men years after Jesus.


And yet sooooo manyyyy, still believe it was. :lol2:
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
Dalmacie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 913
Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am

NEO Rome Republic wrote:
Dalmacie wrote:It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.

Perfect answer.

The Bible is a book. Written by men. Including all their imperfections.

It was not written by Jesus, or God. It was written by men years after Jesus.


And yet sooooo manyyyy, still believe it was. :lol2:

Yes, religious misinformation is both unfortunate and dangerous.

I find it to be extremely ridiculous that such normal, honest, mostly intelligent people could honestly believe that some book just fell from the sky, and that it was directly written by God and his angels.

Ridiculous.

That also applies to those who believe the Koran is so as well; I am unsure of how Jews view their holy book, but if they believe so too, then that applies to them as well.
Last edited by Dalmacie on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10293
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 am

Menassa wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:But that only says Yahweh has power over the land, it doesn't provide any evidence that such a thing did happen.

Correct, but don't you think Biblical Authors, humans, would have given more reasonable advice?

Do you believe no one kept Biblical Law until basically the 1st century?

Why would they give advice that didn't support the existence of their God?
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33354
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Menassa wrote:Correct, but don't you think Biblical Authors, humans, would have given more reasonable advice?

Do you believe no one kept Biblical Law until basically the 1st century?

Why would they give advice that didn't support the existence of their God?

I wouldn't expect them not to, but who would accept this Law?

Remember not advice, but Law.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22914
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote: the Bible, with authorship traditionally attributed to a single individual per book(s) (such as Moses for the Pentateuch), is instead the combination of different works by different authors, carefully edited together.


I suppose I have to applaud the effort involved in writing that OP, but if the whole point was to reach the above conclusion - which I thought was common knowledge - I could likely have saved you the trouble with just two or three reputable academic citations.

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 am

Dalmacie wrote:
NEO Rome Republic wrote:
And yet sooooo manyyyy, still believe it was. :lol2:

Yes, religious misinformation is both unfortunate and dangerous.

I find it to be extremely ridiculous that such normal, honest, mostly intelligent people could honestly believe that some book just fell from the sky, and that it was directly written by God and his angels.

Ridiculous.

That also applies to those who believe the Koran is so as well; I am unsure of how Jews view their holy book, but if they believe so too, then that applies to them as well.


One thing you have to remember, many of the followers were raised in a Christian family taught from BIRTH, to believe it as fact. And remember, the most religious countries are poor and uneducated. The only exception to this rule is the USA, where I live :( . But the good news is religion, is currently on the decline. :)
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
Daistallia 2104
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7848
Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Daistallia 2104 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 am

Seriously - even among Xians, how is this even a question anymore?
NSWiki|HP
Stupidity is like nuclear power; it can be used for good or evil, and you don't want to get any on you. - Scott Adams
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. - Terry Pratchett
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
How our economy really works.
Obama is a conservative, not a liberal, and certainly not a socialist.

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am

Daistallia 2104 wrote:Seriously - even among Xians, how is this even a question anymore?


Bat shit crazy never makes any sense. I suppose people, like the comfort their religion brings them and, that comfort seems VERY hard to let go of, for some reason.
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22914
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 am

Dalmacie wrote:I find it to be extremely ridiculous that such normal, honest, mostly intelligent people could honestly believe that some book just fell from the sky, and that it was directly written by God and his angels.


If they do, clearly they're not familiar with Christian theology, since the vast majority of Christians hold no such belief, and have demonstrably not done so since the beginning of detailed Christian theological writing in the 3rd century.

Your sentence may possibly describe literalist Evangelical Protestants, but then 80% of Christians aren't literalist Evangelical Protestants; so why characterise the beliefs of a 4/5ths majority by those of a 1/5th minority?

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22914
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 am

Daistallia 2104 wrote:Seriously - even among Xians, how is this even a question anymore?


It isn't; not for a large majority of Christians, anyway.

But it's no doubt fun to take the beliefs of a minority of a particular group, and then pretend that minority represents the majority, or even the totality.
Last edited by The Archregimancy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dalmacie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 913
Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Dalmacie wrote:I find it to be extremely ridiculous that such normal, honest, mostly intelligent people could honestly believe that some book just fell from the sky, and that it was directly written by God and his angels.


If they do, clearly they're not familiar with Christian theology, since the vast majority of Christians hold no such belief, and have demonstrably not done so since the beginning of detailed Christian theological writing in the 3rd century.

Your sentence may possibly describe literalist Evangelical Protestants, but then 80% of Christians aren't literalist Evangelical Protestants; so why characterise the beliefs of a 4/5ths majority by those of a 1/5th minority?

Well, whenever I refer to such broad generalizations, I am thinking of the Evangelical, mostly Baptist, Southern-American Christians; a disturbing amount of which do, or at least they act like they do, believe that the Bible fell from the sky and is written by Jesus and God.

User avatar
Neo Rome Republic
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5337
Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Neo Rome Republic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:38 am

Delete
Last edited by Neo Rome Republic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
If what I say offends you, twas misunderstanding on you or my indifference.
Ethical and Metaphysical: Humanist and Naturalist.
Political Views Sum: Centrist on social issues, Market Socialist on economic, and Radical on political governance.
This nation DOES(for most part) represent my OOC views.
''A rich man complaining about regulation and taxes, is like the drunkard at a party, complaining about not having enough to drink.'',

"An empty mind is a mind without a filter, the mind of a gullible fool. A closed mind is the mind unwilling to look at the reality outside its bubble. An open mind is one that is cautious, flexible yet balanced; looking at both the reality and the possibility."
OOC Info Page Pros And Cons Political Ideology

User avatar
Derman Iles
Diplomat
 
Posts: 613
Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Derman Iles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am

Dalmacie wrote:It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.

Perfect answer.

The Bible is a book. Written by men. Including all their imperfections.

It was not written by Jesus, or God. It was written by men years after Jesus.


Heard of the dead sea scrolls? Thread/
Last edited by Derman Iles on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WWW.DermanTV.der WWW.DermanAir.der
You want to live in my nation? You're insane!
CAPITALIST, NATIONALIST, CANADIAN ROYALIST
Visit my wiki pages here!
Romberg wrote:Remember. If nukes aren't the solution, then you're not using enough nukes.
Generailia wrote:So invasion or hugs? Hard choice :lol:. I wonder how the citizens will react if they saw there savior just say. "Well I lost. HUG ME!" Then immediately drop his weapon and attempt to stop the terrorists with love.

User avatar
Serrland
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11968
Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 am

Derman Iles wrote:
Dalmacie wrote:It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.

Perfect answer.

The Bible is a book. Written by men. Including all their imperfections.

It was not written by Jesus, or God. It was written by men years after Jesus.


Heard of the dead sea scrolls? Thread/


What about the dead sea scrolls?

User avatar
Dalmacie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 913
Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:02 am

Derman Iles wrote:
Dalmacie wrote:It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.

Perfect answer.

The Bible is a book. Written by men. Including all their imperfections.

It was not written by Jesus, or God. It was written by men years after Jesus.


Heard of the dead sea scrolls? Thread/

Your point?

They, like the Bible, were written by people.

So...

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22914
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 am

Dalmacie wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:
If they do, clearly they're not familiar with Christian theology, since the vast majority of Christians hold no such belief, and have demonstrably not done so since the beginning of detailed Christian theological writing in the 3rd century.

Your sentence may possibly describe literalist Evangelical Protestants, but then 80% of Christians aren't literalist Evangelical Protestants; so why characterise the beliefs of a 4/5ths majority by those of a 1/5th minority?

Well, whenever I refer to such broad generalizations, I am thinking of the Evangelical, mostly Baptist, Southern-American Christians; a disturbing amount of which do, or at least they act like they do, believe that the Bible fell from the sky and is written by Jesus and God.


Perhaps, but then they're no more than 20% of all Christians, and likely a much smaller percentage than that. So it's a fairly poor broad generalisation if there's any implication that said view is shared more broadly within Christianity.

True, Evangelical Protestant Americans are a particularly loud and shouty group of Christians, but they're wholly unrepresentative of the totality thereof, so it's a regrettable debating tactic to pretend that they are.

Anyway, I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Evangelical American Protestants are actively damaging to Christianity.






NEO Rome Republic wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:
It isn't; not for a large majority of Christians, anyway.

But it's no doubt fun to take the beliefs of a minority of a particular group, and then pretend that minority represents the majority, or even the totality.


And yet believing in a man who can bring back the dead, walk on water, turn water into wine, born of a women ''knocked up'' by a ghost somehow, isn't taking the Bible literally? That seems like a pretty LITERAL interpretation . Which most, if not all Christians, adhere to.


I'm sorry, but I usually only take the trouble to debate people who actually understand the point of the posts to which they're replying.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Azlaake, Bogan Laker, Dumb Ideologies, Ethel mermania, Evil Dictators Happyland, Genivaria, Grinning Dragon, Ifreann, Kenmoria, Liecthenbourg, Nimzonia, Page, Ryanasic, Souseiseki, South Hangul Republic, Teodorias, The blAAtschApen, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Srovsk State, United States of Devonta, Valrifell, Vassenor, Washington Resistance Army, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads