NATION

PASSWORD

Who wrote the Bible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who wrote the Bible?

It was written by numerous people, each writing their account to achieve their own political aim, and was eventually compiled into a single text by numerous reactors.
52%
It was written and compiled from numerous sources, but still reflects the key messages from God and wasn't written to achieve political aims at all.
26%
Mosaic authorship exists throughout the Pentateuch, the prophetic books were written by their respective prophets, and all the books were written as an accurate, monotheistic account.
8%
The Bible was authored by the "K" or "Knoxist" source.
2%
It was written by Jesus, the God-fearing middle-class white American from Texas.
7%
Je ne sais pas.
6%

Total votes : 250

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:22 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Now you know why I'm a Babylonian pagan and not a Norse pagan.

Yeah, the Norse gods know why, too. That's why they mention Babylon so much in the Bible, just to discourage folks like you. *nod*

... and the reason why the Bible makes Nebuchadnezzar out to be some psychotic incompetent.

It all makes so much sense now.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Zilam
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zilam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 am

I believe the second option. God didn't write it himself and send it down. Rather, people who were influenced by the Holy Spirit wrote what they experienced and felt.
I'm not who I was.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Yeah, the Norse gods know why, too. That's why they mention Babylon so much in the Bible, just to discourage folks like you. *nod*

... and the reason why the Bible makes Nebuchadnezzar out to be some psychotic incompetent.

It all just adds up that only Loki Lie-Smith could have ever written such a book.

Quite obviously the only true course of action now is to hold a Blot.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:We can't particularly identify authors by name, but we can analyse the text to identify primarily how many authors there were and secondly which parts they wrote.

Perhaps, I don't agree the inconsistencies really take anything away from it as the basis of a religion (I'm deliberately speaking objectively) as it shows an account of a deities dealings with a group of humans over a rather large period of time. Sometimes it mentions what people believed at certain times, so the fact that the Israelites were polytheists for a long time does not take away anything. Especially if you use the bible in addition to tradition, reason and experience as the foundation of faith.

Even if you take into account the Book of Deuteronomy was created specifically by King Josiah's high priest to justify his pro-Yahweh reforms?
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Skenderos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skenderos » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 am

Pravengria wrote:If I remember right, the exact composition that made up the bible during most of the middle ages, was created by the Romans, who decided what went in and what didn't. The first bible however, was written by the Greeks, before being translated into Hebrew. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Before the schism in 1054, the religious authorities decided which books would be accepted into the cannon. After the schism, the Catholics dropped some Old Testament books, and then even later, the Protestants dropped even more Old Testament books. The Eastern Orthodox church has the same amount of books as was decided on by the religious athourities. The Old Testament was orriginally written in Hebrew and Aramaic. It was then translated into Koine Greek (the Septuagint), and then all the other languages of the world. The New Testament was originally written in Koine Greek, although there's some evidence the Gospel of Mathew was orginally written in Aramaic. Then the bible was translated into Latin (the Latin Vulgate by St. Jerome) and then all the other languages.
Holy Orthodox Empire of Skenderos, Eastern Orthodox and extremely patriotic.

"Always remember that at the Last Judgement we are judged for loving Him, or failing to love Him, in the least person."–Archbishop Anastasios of Albania

"... Acquire peace, and thousands around you will be saved."–St. Seraphim of Sarov

You say Lady Gaga, I say Mozart.
You say Jason Derulo, I say Chopin.
You say Ke$ha, I say Liszt.
You say Pitbull, I say Bach.
You say Justin Bieber, I say Beethoven and go grow a pair.
98% percent of people listen to pop,hip hop,rap and pop influenced forms of various genres,if you're one of the 2% who listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig substituting the second part of artists for ones from your genre

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am

Ceannairceach wrote:Yeah, the Norse gods know why, too. That's why they mention Babylon so much in the Bible, just to discourage folks like you. *nod*

That and it was written during a time when he wasn't exactly popular among Jewish chroniclers, making people look like oaefs in documents isn't exactly a new thing.
British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:27 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:... and the reason why the Bible makes Nebuchadnezzar out to be some psychotic incompetent.

That and it was written during a time when he wasn't exactly popular among Jewish chroniclers, making people look like oaefs in documents isn't exactly a new thing.

What do Jewish scholars have to do with Loki?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Perhaps, I don't agree the inconsistencies really take anything away from it as the basis of a religion (I'm deliberately speaking objectively) as it shows an account of a deities dealings with a group of humans over a rather large period of time. Sometimes it mentions what people believed at certain times, so the fact that the Israelites were polytheists for a long time does not take away anything. Especially if you use the bible in addition to tradition, reason and experience as the foundation of faith.

Even if you take into account the Book of Deuteronomy was created specifically by King Josiah's high priest to justify his pro-Yahweh reforms?

*Nods*

If you believe as a liturgical Christian (and Talmudic Judaism) does that God sometimes works through people unwittingly then yes it is of no consequence.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Skenderos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skenderos » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

Zilam wrote:I believe the second option. God didn't write it himself and send it down. Rather, people who were influenced by the Holy Spirit wrote what they experienced and felt.

That is true, but sometomes, the didn't just feel the Holy Spirit, they had visions, such as the Apocalypse of St. John
Holy Orthodox Empire of Skenderos, Eastern Orthodox and extremely patriotic.

"Always remember that at the Last Judgement we are judged for loving Him, or failing to love Him, in the least person."–Archbishop Anastasios of Albania

"... Acquire peace, and thousands around you will be saved."–St. Seraphim of Sarov

You say Lady Gaga, I say Mozart.
You say Jason Derulo, I say Chopin.
You say Ke$ha, I say Liszt.
You say Pitbull, I say Bach.
You say Justin Bieber, I say Beethoven and go grow a pair.
98% percent of people listen to pop,hip hop,rap and pop influenced forms of various genres,if you're one of the 2% who listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig substituting the second part of artists for ones from your genre

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:... and the reason why the Bible makes Nebuchadnezzar out to be some psychotic incompetent.

It all just adds up that only Loki Lie-Smith could have ever written such a book.

Quite obviously the only true course of action now is to hold a Blot.

I was hoping to wait until Blótmónaþ, but drastic times, I guess.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Realm of God wrote:

What do Jewish scholars have to do with Loki?

Jewish Scholars probably wrote the Book of Daniel....

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 am

The Realm of God wrote:

But it certainly reveals a lot of bias behind the Bible's authors.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:30 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Even if you take into account the Book of Deuteronomy was created specifically by King Josiah's high priest to justify his pro-Yahweh reforms?

*Nods*

If you believe as a liturgical Christian (and Talmudic Judaism) does that God sometimes works through people unwittingly then yes it is of no consequence.

How odd.

The Realm of God wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:What do Jewish scholars have to do with Loki?

In around 200 AD, yes.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 am

The Realm of God wrote:

But it certainly reveals a lot of bias behind the Bible's authors.

Bias is not a bad thing, you just need to know what the bias is. It would present a problem if God told them to 'recite' verbatim but for all we know, he didn't so perhaps the authors left their bias in their work.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:What do Jewish scholars have to do with Loki?

No, that was Loki. All of the Bible was written by Loki. Haven't you been paying attention?

@}-;-'---

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:But it certainly reveals a lot of bias behind the Bible's authors.

Bias is not a bad thing, you just need to know what the bias is. It would present a problem if God told them to 'recite' verbatim but for all we know, he didn't so perhaps the authors left their bias in their work.

The bias inherent in the scriptures, along with the other factors, help to expose much of the Bible as a work if convenient propaganda rather than a holy text.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 am

The Realm of God wrote:
*Nods*

How odd.

The Realm of God wrote:

In around 200 AD, yes.

It's not odd, Origen did it in his exegesis of the Bible in the third century so interpreting the Bible like that isn't exactly new. The main problem with modern Christianity is a creeping fundamentalism that has popped up since the '60's.

I am discerning a call the Priesthood allow me to quote a book I've been asked to read.

'Whenever exponents of the Christian faith treat it (the Bible-parentheses mine) as something which we have to defend like a beleaguered fortress or a fragile structure they are making God to be smaller than he is. There is an idea that the greatness of the God of the Bible is protected by a kind of defensive literalism which insists on the historicity of the narratives and supposes that to waver on the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch or the sojourn of Jonah in the whale is to make grievous concessions to modern secularism. But the God of the Bible is majestic enough not to require such protection, as he is able to use in his scriptures not only literal history but poetry, drama, myth and symbol also in conveying his truth to mankind."
-The Christian Priest Today-Michael Ramsey, Chapter 4, 25-26.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:45 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:How odd.

In around 200 AD, yes.

It's not odd, Origen did it in his exegesis of the Bible in the third century so interpreting the Bible like that isn't exactly new. The main problem with modern Christianity is a creeping fundamentalism that has popped up since the '60's.

I am discerning a call the Priesthood allow me to quote a book I've been asked to read.

'Whenever exponents of the Christian faith treat it (the Bible-parentheses mine) as something which we have to defend like a beleaguered fortress or a fragile structure they are making God to be smaller than he is. There is an idea that the greatness of the God of the Bible is protected by a kind of defensive literalism which insists on the historicity of the narratives and supposes that to waver on the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch or the sojourn of Jonah in the whale is to make grievous concessions to modern secularism. But the God of the Bible is majestic enough not to require such protection, as he is able to use in his scriptures not only literal history but poetry, drama, myth and symbol also in conveying his truth to mankind."

So, I take it you're not too fussed about Yahweh originally being the Mars of the Hebrew pantheon?
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 am

I wonder if the Bible was written as a joke?

"Haw haw haw, let's see if we can't fuck with the world's heads for millennia!"
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 am

The Realm of God wrote:

So, I take it you're not too fussed about Yahweh originally being the Mars of the Hebrew pantheon?

No not really, what people believed then doesn't really affect what people believe now for example the New Testament states (in no uncertain terms) that there is one God and doesn't new revelation from the son of that deity (assuming Christianity is correct) trump the beliefs of those who worshipped YHWH before?

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:So, I take it you're not too fussed about Yahweh originally being the Mars of the Hebrew pantheon?

No not really, what people believed then doesn't really affect what people believe now for example the New Testament states (in no uncertain terms) that there is one God and doesn't new revelation from the son of that deity (assuming Christianity is correct) trump the beliefs of those who worshipped YHWH before?

Possibly, but the fact that it's plain to see how the Israelites manufactured Yahweh as the One True God due to their political motives calls into question the validity of the entire faith.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 am

The Realm of God wrote:

Possibly, but the fact that it's plain to see how the Israelites manufactured Yahweh as the One True God due to their political motives calls into question the validity of the entire faith.

Or God, allowed the Israelites to manufacture his cultus as 'One True God' without them exactly realising, God has certainly been shown to move people to do stuff without doing anything particularly dramatic.. When three world religions assume a near omnipotent deity such a claim isn't particularly ludicrous especially given the quote about.Biblical criticism I shared.
Last edited by The Realm of God on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Possibly, but the fact that it's plain to see how the Israelites manufactured Yahweh as the One True God due to their political motives calls into question the validity of the entire faith.

Or God, allowed the Israelites to manufacture his cultus as 'One True God' without them exactly realising. When three world religions assume a near omnipotent deity such a claim isn't particularly ludicrous especially given the quote about.Biblical criticism I shared.

It's not particularly ludicrous, because one of the religions (Judaism) forms the theological and textual basis for the other two. When we observe Yahweh's origins, it's undeniable that he comes from a wider pantheon of gods that were eventually phased out because of political motives, and doesn't particularly suggest the interference of Yahweh in this transition from polytheism to monotheism.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Jehuddah
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jehuddah » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 am

As a person who read all of the Torah, I also noticed such a thing:
Why does in one place he is called Hadonai (In Judaism we don't say Yaweh but Hadonai) and at the other Elohim? And Shaddai?

But I didn't notice the different dialects, they are written in pretty much the same style (At least in the original language Hebrew in which I read in).

The Tanakh is divided to three,
the religious part,
and the historic part,
the mixed parts.

The religious parts include the prophets, the heavenly explanation to historic events etc.
The historic parts include the kings, the wars, the revolution, the exile etc.
The mixed parts include the exodus, destruction of Sodom and Gemora etc.

The historic parts are real,
now, I personally do not believe the religious parts.

I must say you did a large research there.

By the way, there are few books in which we know who wrote:
For example, Solomon wrote:
Mishlei
Kohelet
and Song of Songs.
Last edited by Jehuddah on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by John of Giscala on Wed May 2, 68 19:32 pm, edited 3546 times in total.

Political test:
91% Nationalistic
57% Fundementalist
88% Reactionary
92% Authoritarian
31% Capitalistic
99% Militaristic
63% Anthropocentric

The Nationalist Militarist Party Headquarters:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=241535&p=14484567#p14484567
Likes: Revisionist Zionism, Jewish Ethnic Nationalism, Greater Israel, Cultural conservatism, Population transfer of the Arabs, Cultural isolationism, Militarism, Strong government
Dislikes: Antisemitism, Anti Zionism, Anti-nationalism, civic nationalism, "Two states for two peoples", Bi-National solution, Liberalism, Socialism, Communism

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 am

The Realm of God wrote:
Or God, allowed the Israelites to manufacture his cultus as 'One True God' without them exactly realising. When three world religions assume a near omnipotent deity such a claim isn't particularly ludicrous especially given the quote about.Biblical criticism I shared.

It's not particularly ludicrous, because one of the religions (Judaism) forms the theological and textual basis for the other two. When we observe Yahweh's origins, it's undeniable that he comes from a wider pantheon of gods that were eventually phased out because of political motives, and doesn't particularly suggest the interference of Yahweh in this transition from polytheism to monotheism.

Key word in your arguement is 'particularly', if we accept that God allows most things to happen ('good' and 'bad') then I'm sure he could have allowed some politicians to declare him the one true God.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General