NATION

PASSWORD

Singer boycotts Florida and 22 other US states

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was it a bad choice for wonder to boycott 23 US states over this

Yes
34%
No
36%
Don't Care
30%

Total votes : 64

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:
Other third world territory. Like Florida.

While doing an interview a Florida state law attorney commented that only 30% of those in Florida are originally from Florida. Which means that 70% are from other places.

Florida has become really international. This song fits Florida like a glove.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USIcKhGEhzw :clap:

By the way, many people from our island because there is no work here have been going to Florida. We have taken over the Orlando and Tampa area :lol: .

On the radio they were saying that some leave here because of the crime . But according to US figures, crime in Florida is double when compared to our island.

Money makes people forget all problems. If Florida is poorer, then I am left as confused as you are.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:He can play where he wants (or in this case, doesn't want to). I doubt it'll have much of an effect on the laws, though.

^This.

It's his life. He can decide where he wants to play, and he can say whatever he wants to say about his reasons for playing where he does.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Dalmacie
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Naval Guns wrote:http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=818186
Now Wonder has announced he will boycott Florida and the other 22 other U.S. states which carry similar laws until they are overturned. Speaking to fans at a show in Quebec City on Sunday, the singer said, "I decided today that until the Stand Your Ground law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again. As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world.

Now this made me laugh at wonder, if he's going to act that way I don't care if he plays any where. besides it's not him who decides where he ultimately gets to play its his agent(s) who do it. and if he really does commit to his promise then wonder will lose big time. And for what he said in my view I think he is just being selfish and thinking "oh I don't like your law so you don't get the privilege of me playing in your state until you change it to what I want" of coarse that's just what I think, So NS what you think about this?

He is completely free to do whatever.

It's not the best decision, but that is within his right, even though I doubt that is really going to change anything.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Rio Cana wrote:On the radio they were saying that some leave here because of the crime . But according to US figures, crime in Florida is double when compared to our island.

Yeah, Florida has absurd amounts of crime.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Now Wonder has announced he will boycott Florida and the other 22 other U.S. states which carry similar laws until they are overturned. Speaking to fans at a show in Quebec City on Sunday, the singer said, "I decided today that until the Stand Your Ground law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again. As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world.

Now this made me laugh at wonder, if he's going to act that way I don't care if he plays any where. besides it's not him who decides where he ultimately gets to play its his agent(s) who do it. and if he really does commit to his promise then wonder will lose big time. And for what he said in my view I think he is just being selfish and thinking "oh I don't like your law so you don't get the privilege of me playing in your state until you change it to what I want" of coarse that's just what I think, So NS what you think about this?

So basically he just pledged to never play in the US, as in any state, for being 'part of the world' with stand your ground laws?
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:59 pm

I wish Stevie Wonder would boycott all 50 states, his music is terrible. I don't think State legislatures will be like, "oh damn stevie wonder boycotted our state and won't play any shows here, that will destroy our fragile infrastructure and fracture our unstable ecosystem! let's repeal all those laws that help protect people because a few people went to jail or didn't go to jail!!"
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:04 pm

He can boycott all he wants, he is only hurting himself. Meanwhile, we can just sit back and laugh at his last revenues.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Alyekra wrote:Who on earth is Stevie Wonder and what does he have against this law?

As well as his music he is best known for his invention of the Wonder bra.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:53 pm

(who he is if you need to know)
Stevland Hardaway Morris (born May 13, 1950 as Stevland Hardaway Judkins),[1] known by his stage name Stevie Wonder, is an American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, and was a child prodigy who developed into one of the most creative musical figures of the late 20th century.[2] Blind since shortly after birth,[3] Wonder signed with Motown's Tamla label at the age of eleven[2] and continues to perform and record for Motown as of the early 2010s.

Among Wonder's best known works are singles such as "Superstition", "Sir Duke", "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" and "I Just Called to Say I Love You". Well known albums also include Talking Book, Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life.[2] He has recorded more than thirty U.S. top ten hits and received twenty-two Grammy Awards, the most ever awarded to a male solo artist. Wonder is also noted for his work as an activist for political causes, including his 1980 campaign to make Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday a holiday in the United States.[4] In 2009, Wonder was named a United Nations Messenger of Peace.[5] In 2008, Billboard magazine released a list of the Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists to celebrate the US singles chart's fiftieth anniversary, with Wonder at number five.

By popular vote, Stevie was inducted into The SoulMusic Hall of Fame at SoulMusic.com in December 2012.[6]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZFf0pm0SE A song by him

At first I thought who is this Now Wonder person? :lol2: I am not surprised by this he has generally been a black rights activist. The NAACP is also highly against this so its not unthinkable. I think its a bit silly depending on the law, the I was defending myself could be proven in court tough as well without a stand your ground law.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 am

His money he's losing.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Battenburgia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Battenburgia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:15 am

How nice to see a rich American putting morality before money...well done Stevie :clap:

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:17 am

Battenburgia wrote:How nice to see a rich American putting morality before money...well done Stevie :clap:

Because Stevie Wonder is popular with wealthy white male senators.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Sensual Boy by Klaus
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensual Boy by Klaus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am

Go back to your pastime paradise then.
Yes, I am cologne for adolescent men, from Klaus, the fish from the TV show American Dad!. This "nation" explores Klaus's high-end cologne line, with his latest, and most powerful, yet pleasant fragrance, Sensual Boy™ , part of the Langley Falls Collection™ . Klaus's cologne company is also called Klaus™ .

Smell it...

Our commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-5Ckj4rgc

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 am

He can do what he likes, his loss.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 am

As many others have said, it's his loss.

Seems like a very bad economic choice on his part to never perform in almost half of all US states.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 am

i think it was a very good choice, and possibly the best choice morally. as long as these laws let people get away with racial violence, and let people who would commit racial violence carry guns, everyone should boycott such states however best they can.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Viltari
Civilian

Founded: Jul 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Viltari » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:02 am

I think he, (along with the rest of the boycotters), is an absolute idiot.
That is a perfectly fine law that should be kept, and the fact that is brought up after the Zimmerman trial is even more showing. They never even used this law to try and prove his (Factual) innocence, they never brought it up in court once.

I'll stand over here and wait for those brainwashed by the media to come chew me out.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:15 am

IIRC, Florida's in particular was written badly and applied poorly. The problem here is that not all the "Stand Your Ground" laws are the same, and the Martin killing does not necessarily invalidate the whole concept. It should be noted that I have not done any recent research on SYG laws, and the information I have to go by is rather rusty in my memory.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 am

Jamzmania wrote:As many others have said, it's his loss.

Seems like a very bad economic choice on his part to never perform in almost half of all US states.

Well with $110,000,000 in the bank I doubt he is worried. At his age he probably wants to cut down on performing anyway; and as a lifelong political activist, he gets to kill two birds with one stone.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Artumatym
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Artumatym » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:38 am

Reminds me of the boycot of South Africa during the Apartheid regime.
If that singer wants to boycott Florida, he should feel free to do so. I think that people who do not boycott Florida and those 22 states shouldn't be treated negatively. (I'm aiming at Paul Simon here)

Naval Guns
Envoy

Founded: Mar 22, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Naval Guns » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:30 am

SYG is not racially motivated only peoples feeling toward it after the martin Zimmerman incident did anyone start saying it was only about race.
And quiet frankly I don't see how this whole situation is about race at all. I mean some one opened their mouth and now Zimmerman will never really be "free" and what I mean by that is in the eyes of the court of law of the United States Zimmerman is defined as free, but because of someone's unsupported assumptions Zimmerman will always be hounded where ever he goes till he either dies or people forget about him. Of coarse that's just my opinion but that does not mean it is right cause I don't have all the facts about the case.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 am

I don't really see the issue. Stand Your Ground simply says that you have no duty to retreat if you feel your life is in danger. Stand Your Ground didn't apply to Zimmerman. If events played out the way Zimmerman said they did then he was protected by basic self defense.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Wittenberg
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Wittenberg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 am

I am boycotting Texas, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Alabama because they are asshole states. Florida is next on my list.

Lerodan Chinamerica
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am

Priory Academy USSR wrote:He can play where he wants (or in this case, doesn't want to). I doubt it'll have much of an effect on the laws, though.

I, for one, am appalled that my favourite musician ever has cast aside my home state so suddenly. Do you know what this means? I will never get to see him perform where I live!

In light of this, I hereby become an anti-gun liberal and will scrap all of my Nerfs and Airsofts to make Stevie play here again. *nods*

Amarra
Secretary

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Amarra » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am

What is crazy about this law is that in Florida, especially at school, if someone trys to beat you up, or break your private property, you can't do anything or even try to stop them without being expelled. So why is this law even made if it does not apply to everyone? As a Florida resident I just laugh all the way to the bank everytime I hear something about the good ol' Sunshine State!
:rofl:
THE INCORPORATED STATES OF AMARRA ▬©▬ A Light In A Dark World

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads