NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Catholic
31%
Eastern Orthodox
10%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Lutheran
7%
Baptist
10%
Reformed (Calvinism, Presbyterianism, etc.)
5%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Non-Denominational
15%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 981

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:
Athartha wrote:Marian is the word for something that is of or relating to the Virgin Mary. A devotion to her.

1.Hail Mary:
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

2.The Fatima Prayer:
O my Jesus,
forgive us our sins,
save us from the fires of hell,
lead all souls to Heaven,
especially those most in need of Thy mercy.
Amen.

1.Where does it say in the Bible Mary is holy?
2. And I guess I could agree with this Catholic thing.

Dude she's the Mother of Christ, how would she not be?

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Athartha wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:

They're available online :shock: I did not know this.

They are, however, it is costly to do and I would not recommend it. I recommend waiting, there are few instances I recommend rushing RCIA to allow for conversion.

What's wrong with them?

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:
Don't worry this is the last pope. St Malachi said.

I'd be cool with that Pope Francis is awesome. Really the last 4 Popes have been interesting.

Eh, lately, he's been up to some rathe distasteful shenanigans.

Granted, he's better than any other Pope they could've picked within reasonable limits. But there's still some disappointing aspects.
Forever a Communist

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Blasveck wrote:
I'd be cool with that Pope Francis is awesome. Really the last 4 Popes have been interesting.

Granted, he's better than any other Pope they could've picked within reasonable limits. But there's still some disappointing aspects.

The Catholic Church will never endorse abortion. Get over it.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Blasveck wrote:

What'd he do?

I bet it was kill a fly... the monster.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Athartha
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:
Athartha wrote:Marian is the word for something that is of or relating to the Virgin Mary. A devotion to her.

1.Hail Mary:
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

2.The Fatima Prayer:
O my Jesus,
forgive us our sins,
save us from the fires of hell,
lead all souls to Heaven,
especially those most in need of Thy mercy.
Amen.

First, it is important to establish that we Catholics differ from other Christians in that we are not subscribe to sola sciptura, "by Scripture alone." We also believe in Church Tradition. The belief that Mary lived without sin from the moment of her conception springs from Church tradition. It is not found explicitly in Scripture, but is derived from the testimony of Scripture that Mary was “full of grace” (Luke 1:28) and “blessed” (Luke 1:42). As such, because of the life she lived, we derive and declared Mary to be a saint because she lived such an exemplary and holy life that we can believe with confidence that they are “with God in heaven.”
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi

Ordained Catholic Priest

Athartha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Athartha wrote:They are, however, it is costly to do and I would not recommend it. I recommend waiting, there are few instances I recommend rushing RCIA to allow for conversion.

What's wrong with them?

I don't recommend them because they do not cover topics as in depth as they should (though they do provide the knowledge needed). And the price, they're expensive, and I simply cannot endorse that.

Ordained Catholic Priest

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:

Because God never said she was. Also I would like to hear a priests reason.
Myers Briggs: ENTP-A
8values: N/A

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:

Because God never said she was. Also I would like to hear a priests reason.

As you will.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Athartha wrote:
What's wrong with them?

I don't recommend them because they do not cover topics as in depth as they should (though they do provide the knowledge needed). And the price, they're expensive, and I simply cannot endorse that.

I just would prefer not to wait till next Easter to join the Church. I don't feel right, being outside the Church for so long. Truth be told it frightens me.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Athartha wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:

First, it is important to establish that we Catholics differ from other Christians in that we are not subscribe to sola sciptura, "by Scripture alone." We also believe in Church Tradition. The belief that Mary lived without sin from the moment of her conception springs from Church tradition. It is not found explicitly in Scripture, but is derived from the testimony of Scripture that Mary was “full of grace” (Luke 1:28) and “blessed” (Luke 1:42). As such, because of the life she lived, we derive and declared Mary to be a saint because she lived such an exemplary and holy life that we can believe with confidence that they are “with God in heaven.”

Wasn't David a man after God's own heart? And didn't he end up doing a lot of bad stuff? So saying Mary was "full of grace" and "blessed" doesn't mean anything. She still could have sinned. As God said no human has never sinned everyone has fallen short of the glory of God and I don't remember Mary being an exception.
Last edited by Nuverikstan on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Blasveck wrote:

I'm not speaking about abortion.

I'm speaking about this: http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/micha ... -speak-out

Now, regardless of your feelings on the matter, this doesn't exactly bode well for the mam who is perceived as having a more 'relaxed' (?) tone towards LGBT issues.

No, I'm not wanting to start a debate over gay adoption. That's not the poit I'm making. I'm saying that this doesn't reflect well on the Pope after all the image building he's previously been doing.
Forever a Communist

Athartha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Athartha wrote:I don't recommend them because they do not cover topics as in depth as they should (though they do provide the knowledge needed). And the price, they're expensive, and I simply cannot endorse that.

I just would prefer not to wait till next Easter to join the Church. I don't feel right, being outside the Church for so long. Truth be told it frightens me.

Unfortunately, unless you finished them prior to this Easter, you would likely still have to wait until Easter for your baptism and confirmation. Why does it frighten you, if I may ask?

Ordained Catholic Priest

Athartha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:
Athartha wrote:First, it is important to establish that we Catholics differ from other Christians in that we are not subscribe to sola sciptura, "by Scripture alone." We also believe in Church Tradition. The belief that Mary lived without sin from the moment of her conception springs from Church tradition. It is not found explicitly in Scripture, but is derived from the testimony of Scripture that Mary was “full of grace” (Luke 1:28) and “blessed” (Luke 1:42). As such, because of the life she lived, we derive and declared Mary to be a saint because she lived such an exemplary and holy life that we can believe with confidence that they are “with God in heaven.”

Wasn't David a man after God's own heart? And didn't he end up doing a lot of bad stuff? So saying Mary was "full of grace" and "blessed" doesn't mean anything. She still could have sinned. As God said no human has never sinned everyone has fallen short of the glory of God and I don't remember Mary being an exception.
Yes, but I am not quite sure what your point is on this? Or how it affects what the Scripture itself says about Mary. The lines "full of grace" and "blessed" both come directly from the Gospel of Luke. It is Church Tradition that Mary lived a life free of sin, as Christ came from her womb, how could God enter the world through a sinful person.

Ordained Catholic Priest

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Now, regardless of your feelings on the matter, this doesn't exactly bode well for the mam who is perceived as having a more 'relaxed' (?) tone towards LGBT issues.

No, I'm not wanting to start a debate over gay adoption. That's not the poit I'm making. I'm saying that this doesn't reflect well on the Pope after all the image building he's previously been doing.

I'd say you misinterpreted the Popes leniency. He's more relaxed towards LGBT People. Not the Issues.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Athartha wrote:

Unfortunately, unless you finished them prior to this Easter, you would likely still have to wait until Easter for your baptism and confirmation. Why does it frighten you, if I may ask?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I fear death, but more so I fear dying while separated.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Blasveck wrote:

I'd say you misinterpreted the Popes leniency. He's more relaxed towards LGBT People. Not the Issues.

Well then a helluva lot of other people did.

Which isn't a good thing for the Church. Because its going to become an issue that the Church has to confront eventually, whether it approves of it or not.

Whether its in a decade or a century, it's going to happen.
Forever a Communist

Athartha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Athartha wrote:Unfortunately, unless you finished them prior to this Easter, you would likely still have to wait until Easter for your baptism and confirmation. Why does it frighten you, if I may ask?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I fear death, but more so I fear dying while separated.

It is not something I would say one should be ashamed of. However, unless you are in immediate danger of dying, I would say it is not something to fear. You may be able to begin attending confession now (allowing for you to die in a state of reconciliation outside of the Church), if you were not aware of this.

Ordained Catholic Priest

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Which isn't a good thing for the Church. Because its going to become an issue that the Church has to confront eventually, whether it approves of it or not.

They have confronted it, they've said their against it. But as the Catholic Church doesn't control states any more, that's about all they can do.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Athartha wrote:

It is not something I would say one should be ashamed of. However, unless you are in immediate danger of dying, I would say it is not something to fear. You may be able to begin attending confession now (allowing for you to die in a state of reconciliation outside of the Church), if you were not aware of this.

I wasn't, but that's good to know. And I wouldn't say I'm in immediate threat of death, just as a Veteran, you could say I'm all to aware of how fragile life can be.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Athartha wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:
Yes, but I am not quite sure what your point is on this? Or how it affects what the Scripture itself says about Mary. The lines "full of grace" and "blessed" both come directly from the Gospel of Luke. It is Church Tradition that Mary lived a life free of sin, as Christ came from her womb, how could God enter the world through a sinful person.

Well God never made an exception on the sin thing so he would have to had entered the world through a sinful person. And my argument is Mary was never holy.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Athartha wrote:

Why can a person not just ask God for forgiveness and not go through a priest? Isn't that why Jesus died?

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Blasveck wrote:

They have confronted it, they've said their against it. But as the Catholic Church doesn't control states any more, that's about all they can do.

Well, yes, but the RCC still holds a great deal of influence over quite a few people. And if they want to continue, well, 'operating' at the level they do and the scale that they do in spreading the Lord's word, they might have to reconsider saying "No" to the matter.

At least, if demographics and polling are anything to go off of, the RCC's current position on the matter will become the minority position within the decade.

That's not good for the continued survivability of the Church.
Forever a Communist

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Well, yes, but the RCC still holds a great deal of influence over quite a few people. And if they want to continue, well, 'operating' at the level they do and the scale that they do in spreading the Lord's word, they might have to reconsider saying "No" to the matter.

At least, if demographics and polling are anything to go off of, the RCC's current position on the matter will become the minority position within the decade.

LGBT Demographics are roughly 5%. I think they'll be fine.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Blasveck wrote:Well, yes, but the RCC still holds a great deal of influence over quite a few people. And if they want to continue, well, 'operating' at the level they do and the scale that they do in spreading the Lord's word, they might have to reconsider saying "No" to the matter.

LGBT Demographics are roughly 5%. I think they'll be fine.

Gaining new converts isn't easy if they disapprove of your doctrines. And they don't have to strictly be LGBT people either.
Forever a Communist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General