NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Catholic
31%
Eastern Orthodox
10%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Lutheran
7%
Baptist
10%
Reformed (Calvinism, Presbyterianism, etc.)
5%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Non-Denominational
15%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 981

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Archegnum, American fundamentalism came together as a national movement at the Niagara Bible Conference
http://www.galaxie.com/article/cenq20-1-01

The Conference began meeting in 1876 and in 1878 hammered out a fundamental agreement on 14 points of the "foundations" of Christian faith:

14 point creed of the Niagara Bible Conference of 1878:

1. The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scriptures in the original manuscripts.
2. The Trinity.
3. The Creation of man, the Fall into sin, and total depravity.
4. The universal transmission of spiritual death from Adam.
5. The necessity of the new birth.
6. Redemption by the blood of Christ.
7. Salvation by faith alone in Christ.
8. The assurance of salvation.
9. The centrality of Jesus Christ in the Scriptures.
10. The constitution of the true church by genuine believers.
11. The personality of the Holy Spirit.
12. The believer’s call to a holy life.
13. The immediate passing of the souls of believers to be with Christ at death.
14. The premillennial Second Coming of Christ.
http://truthisfundamental.wordpress.com/1878-nbcc/

This has been called the Niagara Creed and is taken seriously by most fundamentalists.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

DrakoLand
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoLand » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:13 pm

@Tarsonis Survivor: Their Greek isn't broken.

Narvelimrs
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 13, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Narvelimrs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Hello, I do find this interesting. My family are indeed Christians, but we're not and of types you listened in you poll. I hardy go to church due to my mother's job and I do read the Bible. I'm okay with everybody(atheist, Homosexuals, satanist to a degree etc.) Am I a terrible for this?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Narvelimrs wrote:Hello, I do find this interesting. My family are indeed Christians, but we're not and of types you listened in you poll. I hardy go to church due to my mother's job and I do read the Bible. I'm okay with everybody(atheist, Homosexuals, satanist to a degree etc.) Am I a terrible for this?

We may indeed need to be hardy to go to church.

So what do you and your family consider yourselves? Do you follow any sort of christian message in print or online or on the air?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Narvelimrs wrote:Hello, I do find this interesting. My family are indeed Christians, but we're not and of types you listened in you poll. I hardy go to church due to my mother's job and I do read the Bible. I'm okay with everybody(atheist, Homosexuals, satanist to a degree etc.) Am I a terrible for this?

Well clearly your 'tolerance' level must be over 9000.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Fine with me. Why should you be ashamed about that?
I'm a Christian and an avid Star Wars fan!!!
My nation generally reflects my views, but don't entirely assume that. Also, I like telegrams. Please telegram me!

Member of Transversal Red Cross and Western Coalition. IATA Member
Political compass-
Economic left/right: -3.25
Social libertarian/authoritarianism: 0.0

“We know nothing of religion here: we only think of Christ.” -C.S. Lewis.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”-C.S. Lewis.

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Pope Joan wrote:14. The premillennial Second Coming of Christ.

Looks like they missed the boat on that one...
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

The Holy Church of Arius
Secretary

Founded: Dec 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Church of Arius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Tarsonis Survivors. You probably need things explained more in detail that the others. I understand.

Firstly, he called me first "misguided". You should read more carefully.

Secondly, when I meant "more brave in the face of the Truth", I (of cource) meant as a contrary to him. Didn't you get it? I have posted historical facts and common sense. Of cource I am assured as much as these facts and common sense allow me. You should read more carefully.

Third, I know he didn't say "undivided" or "indivisible". But he mentioned that, by saying that "the Church professes and has always professed the same belief as it did when it was founded on the day of Pentecost by Jesus Christ" and I very much doubted that for the historical reasons I posted above. You should read more carefully.

Forth, what has antagonism towards his church has anything to do with the fact that he is what he accuses me for. Arrogant. You should work on your clarity.

Fifth, It is not broken Greek. It's the "Dimotiki" (Δημοτική) dialect that is spoken today in Greece. You should read more carefully.

Sixth. I fail to understand why exactly do you rush so much to counterpost my posts on his part from the moment that (as you said yourself) I didn't refer to you anyway. Pretty wierd if you ask me.....

Shall we get back to the dialogue now? At last please?
Last edited by The Holy Church of Arius on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Southern Arkansas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Arkansas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:14. The premillennial Second Coming of Christ.

Looks like they missed the boat on that one...

"Premillennialism in Christian eschatology is the belief that Jesus Christ will literally and physically return to the earth and take the righteous back to heaven with him. This return is referred to as the Rapture, and rather than Jesus descending to touch the Earth, the righteous will be raised to meet Him in the air."

Did I miss Jesus coming back already? Seems like I would have heard about it. :)
American. Socially Conservative. Shia Muslim looking into the way of the Salaf.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Southern Arkansas wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:Looks like they missed the boat on that one...

"Premillennialism in Christian eschatology is the belief that Jesus Christ will literally and physically return to the earth and take the righteous back to heaven with him. This return is referred to as the Rapture, and rather than Jesus descending to touch the Earth, the righteous will be raised to meet Him in the air."

Did I miss Jesus coming back already? Seems like I would have heard about it. :)

He picked a weekend in August, everyone goes out of town that time of year. By the time the third-string staffers at the local news found out and sent a camera crew he'd given up and gone home.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Neoconstantius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm

The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Tarsonis Survivors. You probably need things explained more in detail that the others. I understand.

Secondly, when I meant "more brave in the face of the Truth", I (of cource) meant as a contrary to him. Didn't you get it? I have posted historical facts and common sense. Of cource I am assured as much as these facts and common sense allow me. You should read more carefully.

Third, I know he didn't say "undivided" or "indivisible". But he mentioned that, by saying that "the Church professes and has always professed the same belief as it did when it was founded on the day of Pentecost by Jesus Christ" and I very much doubted that for the historical reasons I posted above. You should read more carefully.

Forth, what has antagonism towards his church has anything to do with the fac that he is what he accuses me for. Arrogant. You should work on your clarity.

Fifth, It is not broken Greek. It's the "Dimotiki" (Δημοτική) dialect that is spoken today in Greece. You should read more carefully.

Sixth. I fail to understand why exactly do you rush so much to counterpost my posts on his part from the moment that (as you said yourself) I didn't refer to you anyway. Pretty wierd if you ask me.....

The fact that you keep accusing me of being arrogant only demonstrates your own arrogance, to be quite honest. End the ad hominems, please.

He probably felt it necessary to respond to your inflammatory post because you continue to peddle blatant falsehoods about me and my arguments as truth. I took up a firm but respectful stance against you, employed reason, logic, and Scripture to affirm my arguments, and instead you choose to misrepresent them, dance around the questions and points I pose to you, and self-righteously slander me and all the Christians here, deeming them heretics and liars and "conceited", I believe was the word. I see now it was a grave mistake for me to even attempt to engage you in debate, especially with your ever-present accusation of "heresy" for you to so easily fall back on and your constant claims of superior knowledge to the rest of us heathens. I don't care who you are, humility is a virtue, and regardless of what you think of yourself, you are not more knowledgeable, morally upright, or praiseworthy than the least of us here.

I consider this matter closed, and I will have no further discourse with you in this regard.
Last edited by Neoconstantius on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GO ILLINI

Neoconstantius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Southern Arkansas wrote:

Haha, I thought "premillenialism" meant before 2000...my knowledge of Protestant terminology is rather limited...
GO ILLINI

The Holy Church of Arius
Secretary

Founded: Dec 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Church of Arius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:
The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Tarsonis Survivors. You probably need things explained more in detail that the others. I understand.

Forth, what has antagonism towards his church has anything to do with the fac that he is what he accuses me for. Arrogant. You should work on your clarity.

The fact that you keep accusing me of being arrogant only demonstrates your own arrogance, to be quite honest. End the ad hominems, please.

He probably felt it necessary to respond to your inflammatory post because you continue to peddle blatant falsehoods about me and my arguments as truth. I took up a firm but respectful stance against you, employed reason, logic, and Scripture to affirm my arguments, and instead you choose to misrepresent them, dance around the questions and points I pose to you, and self-righteously slander me and all the Christians here, deeming them heretics and liars and "conceited", I believe was the word. I don't care what you are, humility is a virtue, and regardless what you think of yourself, you are not more knowledgeable, morally upright, or praiseworthy than the least of us here.

I consider this matter closed, and I will have no further discourse with you in this regard.

Suit yourself. "Verba volant, scripta manent". Everyone can see what you and I have wrote, and can make an opinion. However, you are basically the one who is leaving the table. Not me. Each and everyone of your posts prove your arrogance.

Have a nice day and God bless you.

Neoconstantius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

The Holy Church of Arius wrote:
Neoconstantius wrote:The fact that you keep accusing me of being arrogant only demonstrates your own arrogance, to be quite honest. End the ad hominems, please.

He probably felt it necessary to respond to your inflammatory post because you continue to peddle blatant falsehoods about me and my arguments as truth. I took up a firm but respectful stance against you, employed reason, logic, and Scripture to affirm my arguments, and instead you choose to misrepresent them, dance around the questions and points I pose to you, and self-righteously slander me and all the Christians here, deeming them heretics and liars and "conceited", I believe was the word. I don't care what you are, humility is a virtue, and regardless what you think of yourself, you are not more knowledgeable, morally upright, or praiseworthy than the least of us here.

Suit yourself. "Verba volant, scripta manent". Everyone can see what you and I have wrote, and can make an opinion. However, you are basically the one who is leaving the table. Not me. Each and everyone of your posts prove your arrogance.

Have a nice day and God bless you.

Τα πολλά λόγια είναι φτώχεια. Had to have the last word, huh? Indeed, let people see for themselves the nature of your arguments and of mine. But of course you have to pontificate on my arrogance a little more. I won't continue this vicious cycle by accusing you of the same, you yourself have provided all the evidence anyone needs to make a prudent judgement of your character.

May the Holy, Consubstantial, Life-Creating and Undivided Trinity guide you and bless you.
Last edited by Neoconstantius on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GO ILLINI

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:11 pm

DrakoLand wrote:@Tarsonis Survivor: Their Greek isn't broken.

Well, Google translate isn't that reliable, anyway. I was mistaken.....on that point anyway.

Narvelimrs
Lobbyist

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Narvelimrs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Bundesdeutschland wrote:

Reason being is because most of the I'm around are in a specific category where I'm not.

Pope Joan wrote:

So what do you and your family consider yourselves? Do you follow any sort of christian message in print or online or on the air?

We just consider ourselves, as plain as sounds, just plain old Christians who aren't in spefici categories. I try to my hardest to follow the 10 commands and I'm also trying to follow Jesus's way of treating others with proper rescept( sorry if I spell that wrong) and hating them for no good reason.

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Narvelimrs wrote:
Bundesdeutschland wrote:

Reason being is because most of the I'm around are in a specific category where I'm not.

Pope Joan wrote:

We just consider ourselves, as plain as sounds, just plain old Christians who aren't in spefici categories. I try to my hardest to follow the 10 commands and I'm also trying to follow Jesus's way of treating others with proper rescept( sorry if I spell that wrong) and hating them for no good reason.

Basically...non-denominational then?
My nation generally reflects my views, but don't entirely assume that. Also, I like telegrams. Please telegram me!

Political compass-

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”-C.S. Lewis.

Narvelimrs
Lobbyist

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Narvelimrs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Bundesdeutschland wrote:
Narvelimrs wrote:

I suppose so sir/mam

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 am

No, I don't need to read more carefully, and quit talking down to me like you're some wizened sage. You've been nothing but antagonistic since you've shown up here.

The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Secondly, when I meant "more brave in the face of the Truth", I (of cource) meant as a contrary to him. Didn't you get it? I have posted historical facts and common sense. Of cource I am assured as much as these facts and common sense allow me. You should read more carefully.

No, I didn't get it. Learn English. If you are "more brave in the face of truth", That literally means you are at odds with Truth. Meaning his argument is truth, and your argument is falsehood. That may not be what you meant, but it is what you said. What you should have said was "more brave inth face of falsehood" or some other synonym.

Except any one with a knowledge of actual history, know that the doctrines and dogmas f the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church are practically identical. The schism was largely political, and the filioque is a difference in interpretation on how the Trinity interacts with itself. Hardly a split over beliefs. So your "doubt" is irrelevant as it is predicated in your own bigotry, instead of history.
The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Forth, what has antagonism towards his church has anything to do with the fact that he is what he accuses me for. Arrogant. You should work on your clarity.

You're both arrogant SOB's. But the difference is no one is on your side. To everyone here, you are no a Christian, you are a heretic. And your antagonism towards the Christian Churches does not help your message. It makes us deaf dumb and blind to what you have to say. [/quote]

The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Fifth, It is not broken Greek. It's the "Dimotiki" (Δημοτική) dialect that is spoken today in Greece. You should read more carefully.

You read more carefully. I said Google translate spits out translations of nonsense. I for one wouldn't know one dialect of Greek from another. I can't read it.

The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Sixth. I fail to understand why exactly do you rush so much to counterpost my posts on his part from the moment that (as you said yourself) I didn't refer to you anyway. Pretty wierd if you ask me.....

Cause at this point your presence is the anathema to constructive dialogue. And worst part is,you're completely blind to it. You haven't advanced your case here one bit. You've only succeeded in annoying people. And I take his side, because we share beliefs, and from where I'm standing he's defending my faith as well as his own. But believe it or not I'm trying to help you. Stop playing the martyr card, and listen to what I'm saying. It's not what you are saying, but how you say it. Stop preaching. Stop acting like you're the fucking Pope. You're just another random believer who thinks he has the answers. As fervent as your beliefs are, ours are equally so. So talking down to us, crying heretic and slandering The Church, are only going to make us resent you.

The Holy Church of Arius wrote:Shall we get back to the dialogue now? At last please?

If you can stop the name calling, and contribute respectfully.
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 am

Any way, what's the deal with Constantinople anyway. From what I gather, the Church still has a presence there.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 am

Southern Arkansas wrote:

I didn't hear about flying horsemen, the deaths of some 2 billion people, or the moon turning red.

I'd say you're good.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:Any way, what's the deal with Constantinople anyway. From what I gather, the Church still has a presence there.

Istanbul.

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:44 am

Narvelimrs wrote:
Bundesdeutschland wrote:

I suppose so sir/mam

I'm male.

Political compass-

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Southern Arkansas wrote:

I didn't hear about flying horsemen, the deaths of some 2 billion people, or the moon turning red.

I'd say you're good.

Flying horseman?

I assume you mean the plague of sulfer, fire, and smoke?

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-cau ... -moon.html
Last edited by Benuty on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:33 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:Any way, what's the deal with Constantinople anyway. From what I gather, the Church still has a presence there.

Istanbul.

Unnecessary clarification.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General