NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Catholic
31%
Eastern Orthodox
10%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Lutheran
7%
Baptist
10%
Reformed (Calvinism, Presbyterianism, etc.)
5%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Non-Denominational
15%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 981

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:They are to be both.

Sheep that herd themselves? :eyebrow: That metaphor doesn't really work.

YES IT DOES!! DOES DOES DOES TIMES INFINITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so I'm not the best with metaphors. But basically the Christian Congregation, (more accurate word than Church) is a brotherhood unto itself. Yes the Clergy fill the role as the Shepherd, but the Laity also is to keep itself accountable among itself.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Spiritual Universalism wrote:
Conscentia wrote:I understand he is referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_priesthood_(doctrine)

Understandable, but he said:

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:The People of Christ are his sheep, and Sheep require Shepherds not just to protect them from the wolves, but to guide them in the right direction.

He just implies the use of "higher level" priests-believers to "protect from the wolves" and "guide in the right direction". Thus he creates a separation and division already in the community.

So we are not talking about a unity and commonwealth of all believers (in his words "Church"), but the separation between the Shepherds and the rest.

People don't need shepherds, people need to find their own way to the High Truth. No one will tell me what to do and how I will approach the Spiritual. Suggestions yes. But orders or even instructions, no. I believe it's a personal quest.

Jesus and Paul say you're wrong.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

A lot of people wonder why I dislike Christianity, and here is the 2 main reasons why:

"If you don't believe in Jesus, you're going to hell even if you are a good person!"
"Everyone must be converted to Christianity!"

While I understand that growing up in a highly religious Evangelical town, I may have too much of a bad taste in my mouth but why are these ideas around and why is there any moral justification towards it?

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Spiritual Universalism wrote:Source?

I understand he is referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_priesthood_(doctrine)

Not quite, The laity and the Clergy, are separate but they make up One Church.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:A lot of people wonder why I dislike Christianity, and here is the 2 main reasons why:

"If you don't believe in Jesus, you're going to hell even if you are a good person!"

While I understand that growing up in a highly religious Evangelical town, I may have too much of a bad taste in my mouth but why are these ideas around and why is there any moral justification towards it?

That's not a universal doctrine of Christianity.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:A lot of people wonder why I dislike Christianity, and here is the 2 main reasons why:

How is it not?

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:

How is it not?

Because it's a derivative of NeoProtestant/Evangelical dysjunction by casting off the RCC/EO as the "Synagogue of Satan". Because they cast off this Ecclesiastical Body, there's only intercession by Christ, thus limiting God's ability to extend grace outside of the sacrifice.

That's not really a great explanation, but the issue is very convoluted.

The Holy Catholic Union
Secretary

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Catholic Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm pretty sure he must accept Christ to be saved or he won't get entry into paradise.
Pro: Social Liberalism, Radical Centrism, LGBT, Secularism, Christianity, Catholicism, South Korea, USA, Judaism, Israel, Drug Legalization, Freedom of Religion(including freedom from it).
Neutral: Atheism, Democratic Party, Islam.
Anti:Theocracy, Religious extremists, Anti-Theism, State Atheism, Fundies, Bigotry, GOP, Fascism, Marxism-Leninism, Nazism, Political Extremists, North Korea.

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:12 pm

That's just a broad generalization. ;)

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Othelos wrote:So, how exactly would you propose morally guiding someone who's biology is different? Abstinence is a policy inviting failure.

And I don't understand why love should be prevented or stopped.

Cause Moulin Rouge was a terrible movie.

So...you're saying that love isn't really all that pure or wise?

The Holy Catholic Union
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Catholic Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Aeken wrote:

That's just a broad generalization. ;)

Well the main idea isn't far off. He needs to accept Christ to be fully saved.
Pro: Social Liberalism, Radical Centrism, LGBT, Secularism, Christianity, Catholicism, South Korea, USA, Judaism, Israel, Drug Legalization, Freedom of Religion(including freedom from it).
Anti:Theocracy, Religious extremists, Anti-Theism, State Atheism, Fundies, Bigotry, GOP, Fascism, Marxism-Leninism, Nazism, Political Extremists, North Korea.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:16 pm

The Holy Catholic Union wrote:
Aeken wrote:That's just a broad generalization. ;)

Well the main idea isn't far off. He needs to accept Christ to be fully saved.

I don't get it! What if I'm a good person but I don't believe in Jesus. Does that just dictate everything?!

The Holy Catholic Union
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Catholic Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
The Holy Catholic Union wrote:Well the main idea isn't far off. He needs to accept Christ to be fully saved.

I don't get it! What if I'm a good person but I don't believe in Jesus. Does that just dictate everything?!

Our actions can't make up for our sins. W can only be forgiven by God's grace. Good deeds may play a part, but Jesus needs to be accepted if you wish for full salvation.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:I don't get it! What if I'm a good person but I don't believe in Jesus. Does that just dictate everything?!

Our actions can't make up for our sins. W can only be forgiven by God's grace. Good deeds may play a part, but Jesus needs to be accepted if you wish for full salvation.

You serious? :eyebrow:

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Othelos wrote:

Cause Moulin Rouge was a terrible movie.

So...you're saying that love isn't really all that pure or wise?

Yeah, it really isn't. What's the cliche? Biochemically no different than consuming large amounts of chocolate.

I'm not saying love is bad, but there is definitely unhealthy love, immoral loves. Nothing is pure, where humanity is concerned.

The Holy Catholic Union
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Catholic Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
The Holy Catholic Union wrote:Our actions can't make up for our sins. W can only be forgiven by God's grace. Good deeds may play a part, but Jesus needs to be accepted if you wish for full salvation.

You serious? :eyebrow:

Absolutely. Jesus loves you more than you know.
Last edited by The Holy Catholic Union on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
The Holy Catholic Union wrote:Well the main idea isn't far off. He needs to accept Christ to be fully saved.

What would you define as a good person?

The Holy Catholic Union
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Catholic Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:You serious? :eyebrow:

Absolutely. Jesus loves you more than you know.

Can I get an ''Amen''?!
Last edited by The Holy Catholic Union on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:I don't get it! What if I'm a good person but I don't believe in Jesus. Does that just dictate everything?!

Don't steal, murder, give to charity, help the downtrodden, live a live of abstinence concerning drugs and alcohol, sex within marriage.

And yet no belief in Jesus.

(Sorry to butt in, I know you were asking Lenin.)
Forever a Communist

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm

The Holy Catholic Union wrote:Absolutely. Jesus loves you more than you know.

Can I get an ''Amen''?!

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Someone who is kind and selfless and does good for other people

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Blasveck wrote:

Don't steal, murder, give to charity, help the downtrodden, live a live of abstinence concerning drugs and alcohol, sex within marriage.

And yet no belief in Jesus.

(Sorry to butt in, I know you were asking Lenin.)

Well, I was just wondering as God and Good go hand in hand. Both derive from old English, God derived from the old english god, and good derived from the adjective form of god (with a long o, can't figure out conjugating symbols on chrome). In essence, Culturally and Historically speaking, Goodly means to be Godly, or more pointedly within Western Culture, Christian.

The Holy Catholic Union
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Catholic Union » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:

That is not enough in the eyes of the Lord.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:

define Good

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:Someone who is kind and selfless and does good for other people

That is not enough in the eyes of the Lord.

You're really not helping.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General