NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Catholic
31%
Eastern Orthodox
10%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Lutheran
7%
Baptist
10%
Reformed (Calvinism, Presbyterianism, etc.)
5%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Non-Denominational
15%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 981

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Menassa wrote:So why did you specify American?

It's not an American Thing, it's an internet meme.

That's probably why I wouldn't know what it was...
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Menassa wrote:
It's not an American Thing, it's an internet meme.

That's probably why I wouldn't know what it was...

Yeah he is right it is an internet meme.
Myers Briggs: ENTP-A
8values: N/A

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Noticing neither of us are going to Budge over this Catholic vs Baptists argument here is a new one.

Who believes the Ark is still on mount Ararat?

Athartha
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:16 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Athartha wrote:It is up to the discretion of your parish priest. You will have to demonstrate a knowledge of the sacrament of confession, and explain why it is you wish to attend confession (for you, it would be you are intending to take RCIA and would like to be able to confess your sins now). You, of all people, are aware of how fragile life is. But I also believe God would not allow for you to die before your time, and would not allow for you to die before being a member of the Church.

The Immaculate Conception means that Mary, whose conception was brought about the normal way, was conceived without original sin or its stain— the essence of original sin consists in the deprivation of sanctifying grace, and its stain is a corrupt nature. Mary, upon her conception and birth, was preserved from these defects by the very grace of God; from the first instant of her existence she was in the state of sanctifying grace and was free from the corrupt nature original sin brings. This can be seen in the angel Gabriel's greeting to her in Luke 1:28, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you." The phrase "full of grace" is a translation of the Greek word kecharitomene, which therefore expresses a characteristic quality of Mary. That is, she is full of God's Grace. Kecharitomene is a perfect passive participle meaning "to fill or endow with grace." It is the Catholic belief that she held this grace her entire life, rather than simply at birth, otherwise it is not how Gabriel would have greeted her.
All pardon for sins ultimately comes from Christ’s death and completion of his work. This is exemplified in baptism, the washing away of original sin and all sins committed prior to baptism. However, sins can, and will be, committed after baptism, and therefore requires a different sacrament. This is the act of penance, done through confession. Christ forgave many of their sins in their lifetime, gave this power to other men so the Church, which is considered a continuation of his presence (Matt. 28:20), and through this continuation men of this church were able to, and are able to, forgive the generations of Christ's death. Through apostolic succession this power has continued. If God has already forgiven all of a man’s sins, or will forgive them all, past and future, upon a single act of repentance, then it makes little sense to tell the apostles they have been given the power to "retain" sins, since forgiveness would be all-or-nothing and nothing could be "retained." This means a continued act of repentance is required for sins committed, and those who can give this repentance is the Clergy of the Church.

Well over your reason on Mary having the grace of God. I heard from a Jewish rabbi turned Christian he said that Mary was a descendent of David and that is why she was chosen. Now Joseph also was, but Christ had to be born of the line of David and being born from Mary is the most accurate. And to your second thing why does he have to wait until next Easter to be baptized? We are already in enough arguments so I won't start the fight over why you guys believe you must be baptized to be saved.

I'm afraid that has little to do with what I've said, who Mary is and is not descendent of plays little part in the Immaculate Conception or if she was given God's Grace.

That's simply when the Church does confirmations, it does it at Easter. Baptisms for the young are done year-round, baptism for converts are done along with Confirmation in the Easter season. It's done on the Easter-vigil, this is because of the visiting Bishop that will be able to complete your confirmation. If a bishop visits town, or a priest receives approval, confirmation may be done at any time of the year.

Also, its important to note, Easter is the time for confirmation for RCIA candidates. Those who are baptised Catholic as a child receive confirmation at any point in the year.
Last edited by Athartha on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi

Ordained Catholic Priest

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 am

Grand Longueville wrote:
Grenartia wrote:See, this is where I've got to disagree with the Catholic Church. I have absolutely no problems for abortion in cases of rape or when the mother's life is in danger. And forcing a woman to keep the baby until birth under those circumstances is unethical and un-Christian.

Can you explain how it is specifically un-Christian[sic]?

Because it is unethical.

Grenartia wrote:

See, this is where I've got to disagree with the Catholic Church. I have absolutely no problems for abortion in cases of rape or when the mother's life is in danger. And forcing a woman to keep the baby until birth under those circumstances is unethical and un-Christian.

I'd prefer morning after pill in the case of rape.

Grenartia wrote:

As did I. Either that, or "the mother should choose to give up her life for the life of the child", which would seem to be endorsing a form of suicide, which means that its a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation, considering the Catholic stance on suicide.

1. It's not one or the other, it's the BOTH are sacred, and you must try to save both. It is immoral to intentionally kill one to save the other. 2. The other quote I posted, shows that it Is however, acceptable but tragic, if one is unintentionally killed trying to save the other.

1. I'm aware.

2. What I'm referring to is if there is such a situation where one cannot be saved without killing the other.

Nuverikstan wrote:
Virenna wrote:I'm in a bit of crisis. I was born and raised a Catholic, everyone I know is Catholic, it would a major stain on my family if I converted…but I feel drawn by the Protestant denominations, particularly the "low churches" (I mean that in an unoffensive way)…It's like for all of my life I've never really felt God's presence, just "played the part", and then I go to one southern church and suddenly I have my faith.

Join the Baptist church. We are friendly and more than likely we will offer you donuts.

My only problems with the Baptist church (or at least the Southern Baptist Convention) are their anti-LGBT equality, pro-capital punishment, anti-choice, and anti-poor (or at least, against solutions to poverty) stances. It all really seems un-Christian.

Orcoa wrote:For the longest time, I felt alone in my battles while I was a LGBT Ally....but with this website, I don't feel that way anymore

http://notalllikethat.org/

Check the site out if you want to learn more :)

That site is amazing.

Nuverikstan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Are you not American?

I am a Texan.

So...you're not American. :p
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:26 am

Athartha wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:
Well over your reason on Mary having the grace of God. I heard from a Jewish rabbi turned Christian he said that Mary was a descendent of David and that is why she was chosen. Now Joseph also was, but Christ had to be born of the line of David and being born from Mary is the most accurate. And to your second thing why does he have to wait until next Easter to be baptized? We are already in enough arguments so I won't start the fight over why you guys believe you must be baptized to be saved.

I'm afraid that has little to do with what I've said, who Mary is and is not descendent of plays little part in the Immaculate Conception or if she was given God's Grace.

That's simply when the Church does confirmations, it does it at Easter. Baptisms for the young are done year-round, baptism for converts are done along with Confirmation in the Easter season. It's done on the Easter-vigil, this is because of the visiting Bishop that will be able to complete your confirmation. If a bishop visits town, or a priest receives approval, confirmation may be done at any time of the year.

Also, its important to note, Easter is the time for confirmation for RCIA candidates. Those who are baptised Catholic as a child receive confirmation at any point in the year.

That seems pretty unfair don't you think? If the child is baptized then when it grows up it can join whenever it wants. But if an adult feels like joining he must wait until a bishop confirms him. A car accident could happen and he dies before he can join. Or a shooting at his house. I am not going to question anything else because I know neither of us are going to budge.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 am

Grenartia wrote:
Grand Longueville wrote:
Can you explain how it is specifically un-Christian[sic]?

Because it is unethical.

I'd prefer morning after pill in the case of rape.

1. It's not one or the other, it's the BOTH are sacred, and you must try to save both. It is immoral to intentionally kill one to save the other. 2. The other quote I posted, shows that it Is however, acceptable but tragic, if one is unintentionally killed trying to save the other.

1. I'm aware.

2. What I'm referring to is if there is such a situation where one cannot be saved without killing the other.

Nuverikstan wrote:Join the Baptist church. We are friendly and more than likely we will offer you donuts.

1.My only problems with the Baptist church (or at least the Southern Baptist Convention) are their anti-LGBT equality, pro-capital punishment, anti-choice, and anti-poor (or at least, against solutions to poverty) stances. It all really seems un-Christian.

Orcoa wrote:For the longest time, I felt alone in my battles while I was a LGBT Ally....but with this website, I don't feel that way anymore

http://notalllikethat.org/

Check the site out if you want to learn more :)

That site is amazing.

Nuverikstan wrote:I am a Texan.

2.So...you're not American. :p

1.Well I agree with everything except for the poverty one. Where I live we actually help the poor a lot, but I don't know about other churches.
2.Excatly. *Takes a whiff of the air* Smell that freedom.

Athartha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:31 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Athartha wrote:I'm afraid that has little to do with what I've said, who Mary is and is not descendent of plays little part in the Immaculate Conception or if she was given God's Grace.

That seems pretty unfair don't you think? If the child is baptized then when it grows up it can join whenever it wants. But if an adult feels like joining he must wait until a bishop confirms him. A car accident could happen and he dies before he can join. Or a shooting at his house. I am not going to question anything else because I know neither of us are going to budge.

Hardly, it's done for uniformity! So that way no matter where you are in the world, RCIA classes begin and end at the same time. It's no different than someone waiting to start their first semester of university in fall the summer after they graduate from secondary school. Is it unfair that they have to wait for this, when they could die before it starts? No, that is simply how life is.

Ordained Catholic Priest

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36 am

Athartha wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:

Hardly, it's done for uniformity! So that way no matter where you are in the world, RCIA classes begin and end at the same time. It's no different than someone waiting to start their first semester of university in fall the summer after they graduate from secondary school. Is it unfair that they have to wait for this, when they could die before it starts? No, that is simply how life is.

Well our church has membership classes everyone other Sunday for if you want to join the church. That way then people don't have to wait so long to join the church. But I guess if you are to join the Catholic Church you have to be prepared if ever you are to be a priest.

Athartha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:41 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Athartha wrote:Hardly, it's done for uniformity! So that way no matter where you are in the world, RCIA classes begin and end at the same time. It's no different than someone waiting to start their first semester of university in fall the summer after they graduate from secondary school. Is it unfair that they have to wait for this, when they could die before it starts? No, that is simply how life is.

Well our church has membership classes everyone other Sunday for if you want to join the church. That way then people don't have to wait so long to join the church. But I guess if you are to join the Catholic Church you have to be prepared if ever you are to be a priest.

Hardly, RCIA classes last a few months in the autumn and winter. Do you know how complex Catholic doctrine is? One has to be able to understand the basic teachings of the church in order to join it, that's all. I do not mean this offensively, but I can teach what Baptism is in a day, there is no way I could teach what Catholicism is in a week - it takes months of studying and prayer.
Now, as for your comment on "prepared if ever you are to be a priest." Hardly a comparison.

Ordained Catholic Priest

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 am

Athartha wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:

Hardly, RCIA classes last a few months in the autumn and winter. Do you know how complex Catholic doctrine is? One has to be able to understand the basic teachings of the church in order to join it, that's all. I do not mean this offensively, but I can teach what Baptism is in a day, there is no way I could teach what Catholicism is in a week - it takes months of studying and prayer.
Now, as for your comment on "prepared if ever you are to be a priest." Hardly a comparison.

No offense taken. I like having a simpler church that just follows the Bible. Oh and the priest thing it was a joke.

Magna Libero
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

I'm officially an Evangelical Lutheran (that is our national religion). I'm also in a Church that is kind of based on Lutheranism ( doesn't in my opinion resemble Lutheranism), but is Evangelical (seems like there are some Baptist tendencies in that Church or something).

Eh. Complicated. But it is a small Church.
hi

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:10 am

Magna Libero wrote:I'm officially an Evangelical Lutheran (that is our national religion). I'm also in a Church that is kind of based on Lutheranism ( doesn't in my opinion resemble Lutheranism), but is Evangelical (seems like there are some Baptist tendencies in that Church or something).

What country are you from?

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:I'm officially an Evangelical Lutheran (that is our national religion). I'm also in a Church that is kind of based on Lutheranism ( doesn't in my opinion resemble Lutheranism), but is Evangelical (seems like there are some Baptist tendencies in that Church or something).

Finland. :)

Anything specific with my nationality?
hi

Tawhiri
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tawhiri » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

I was raised in Te Pīhopatanga o Aotearoa the local Anglican church. I wouldn't say i'm over religious, but I am fairly so.
Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 am

Magna Libero wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:

Finland. :)

Never knew Finland's national religion was Lutheranism. That is why I asked.

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:32 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:Finland. :)

Okay. I suppose Sweden has that, too, since Finland used to be a part of Sweden.
hi

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am

Magna Libero wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:

Okay. I suppose Sweden has that, too, since Finland used to be a part of Sweden.

Would you support Scandinavia unification?

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Because it is unethical.

1. I'm aware.

1.My only problems with the Baptist church (or at least the Southern Baptist Convention) are their anti-LGBT equality, pro-capital punishment, anti-choice, and anti-poor (or at least, against solutions to poverty) stances. It all really seems un-Christian.

That site is amazing.

2.So...you're not American. :p

1.Well I agree with everything except for the poverty one. Where I live we actually help the poor a lot, but I don't know about other churches.
2.Excatly. *Takes a whiff of the air* Smell that freedom.

1. Weird. I haven't heard of any anti- poor people churches. My churches help poor people and also evangelize in foreign poor countries and help them. :)
hi

Arvas
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arvas » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:44 am

I'm a Lutheran, my Church is part of the Porvoo Communion.
Čájehehket dal ivnnádet.

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 am

Nuverikstan wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:Okay. I suppose Sweden has that, too, since Finland used to be a part of Sweden.

Do you mean the Unification Church? I don't know honestly much about it. However, the name sounds promising, since it's good if there is one Church.
hi

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 am

Magna Libero wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:

Do you mean the Unification Church? I don't know honestly much about it. However, the name sounds promising, since it's good if there is one Church.

No I mean unifying Scandinavia. Like Norway, Sweden, and Finland all one country.

Magna Libero
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

Arvas wrote:I'm a Lutheran, my Church is part of the Porvoo Communion.

I didn't know you live that south. Is it the "normal" Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland?

Nuverikstan wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:Do you mean the Unification Church? I don't know honestly much about it. However, the name sounds promising, since it's good if there is one Church.

No I mean unifying Scandinavia. Like Norway, Sweden, and Finland all one country.

I don't have many feelings or opinions about it. It might be good, since that would strengthen the country militarily, so other countries could not attack so easily. But, I do not know. Am I supposed to put in something about Christianity in here? :)

How do you feel about very powerful governments? Are they good or bad from a Christian perspective?
I think they can be bad sometimes. Countries such as India, North Korea and China can be very tough places for a Christian.
hi

Arvas
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arvas » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:07 am

Magna Libero wrote:

I didn't know you live that south. Is it the "normal" Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland?

Ah, no. I'm Sámi from Sweden! From the very north of Sweden, though / I cross the border into Finland to visit family on that side. Haha
Last edited by Arvas on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Čájehehket dal ivnnádet.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 am

Magna Libero wrote:

Nuverikstan wrote:No I mean unifying Scandinavia. Like Norway, Sweden, and Finland all one country.

I don't have many feelings or opinions about it. It might be good, since that would strengthen the country militarily, so other countries could not attack so easily. But, I do not know. Am I supposed to put in something about Christianity in here? :)

How do you feel about very powerful governments? Are they good or bad from a Christian perspective?
I think they can be bad sometimes. Countries such as India, North Korea and China can be very tough places for a Christian.

You don't have to add anything Christian it was just a question. And I like a powerful government if ran by a good leader. Like someone will morals and preferably Christian preferably Baptist. Also India is bad because they don't do anything about poverty and crime that much. That is why it is a bad place for Christians.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General