NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Catholic
31%
Eastern Orthodox
10%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Lutheran
7%
Baptist
10%
Reformed (Calvinism, Presbyterianism, etc.)
5%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Non-Denominational
15%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 981

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Virenna wrote:I'm in a bit of crisis. I was born and raised a Catholic, everyone I know is Catholic, it would a major stain on my family if I converted…but I feel drawn by the Protestant denominations, particularly the "low churches" (I mean that in an unoffensive way)…It's like for all of my life I've never really felt God's presence, just "played the part", and then I go to one southern church and suddenly I have my faith.

Which denomination of church did you visit?
Call me Norga and I'll give you a cookie
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003
The Liberated Territories wrote:Ancestry: Murican
Ethnicity: Murican
Race: Murican

Murica

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Grand Longueville wrote:
Menassa wrote:You have stated the Catholic Church has never persecuted the Jews, this is a lie.

I find it differently.

If you choose to be against history and the Pope's of Rome in this argument that is your choice.

I can only lead a horse to water my friend.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Irredento
Envoy

Founded: Mar 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Irredento » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:26 pm

I believe I recommended Father Barron's Youtube channel earlier today already but there was one video in particular I wanted to post but couldn't actually find it until now.

This video right here sums up why I converted to Roman Catholicism rather than falling in line with the faith of my protestant family.

The order and absolute answers to disagreements along with a limit to what is tolerated are why I cannot imagine myself outside the Catholic Church or the other elderly patriarchal churches such as that of our brothers in the East or Armenia or even the Copts. I feel like I can claim, in all confidence, that we'll never find ourselves having to put up with "social justice warriors" of that woman's sort in our dear Roman Catholic Church under the wise guidance of the Holy Fathers. Having seen how things can end up without such guidance, I am more thankful for it than ever.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Bundesdeutschland wrote:
But then again, there comes the weirdos who say the Catholic Church is the apostate kingdom soon to come...

Which in my opinion is complete and utter inter-Christian anti-Catholic polemic crap.

[...] Synagogue of Satan.[/quote]
I think it's pretty clear who that is, to one user... and to John... but I tend not to generalize as best I can!
Last edited by Menassa on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Virenna wrote:I'm in a bit of crisis. I was born and raised a Catholic, everyone I know is Catholic, it would a major stain on my family if I converted…but I feel drawn by the Protestant denominations, particularly the "low churches" (I mean that in an unoffensive way)…It's like for all of my life I've never really felt God's presence, just "played the part", and then I go to one southern church and suddenly I have my faith.

From some one who currently is southern Baptist, the honeymoon period ends quickly. Once that happens, and you start really listening, it becomes clear their message is a thin facade of the Truth that is God.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Menassa wrote:

[...] Synagogue of Satan.[/quote
I think it's pretty clear who that is, to one user... and to John... but I tend not to generalize as best I can!

Honestly the more I study I begin to wonder if the Whore of Babylon is Protestantism.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Menassa wrote:
[...] Synagogue of Satan.[/quote

Honestly the more I study I begin to wonder if the Whore of Babylon is Protestantism.

Ironically the Protestants might think that about the Catholics :P

But It has been said that there exists in Protestantism many pagan ideals... which could be said about Babylon I suppose.
Last edited by Menassa on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grand Longueville
Diplomat

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Longueville » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Menassa wrote:I think it's pretty clear who that is, to one user... and to John... but I tend not to generalize as best I can!

Quite clear.
Last edited by Grand Longueville on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am an unabashed Absolute Ultramontanist Monarchist. I am not a fascist.

I am a Catholic Seminarian, faithful to the Magisterium of Holy Mother Church, discerning a vocation to the Priesthood

Feel free to PM me!

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Irredento wrote:I believe I recommended Father Barron's Youtube channel earlier today already but there was one video in particular I wanted to post but couldn't actually find it until now.

This video right here sums up why I converted to Roman Catholicism rather than falling in line with the faith of my protestant family.

The order and absolute answers to disagreements along with a limit to what is tolerated are why I cannot imagine myself outside the Catholic Church or the other elderly patriarchal churches such as that of our brothers in the East or Armenia or even the Copts. I feel like I can claim, in all confidence, that we'll never find ourselves having to put up with "social justice warriors" of that woman's sort in our dear Roman Catholic Church under the wise guidance of the Holy Fathers. Having seen how things can end up without such guidance, I am more thankful for it than ever.

That's a very interesting video...
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Grand Longueville wrote:
Menassa wrote:I think it's pretty clear who that is, to one user... and to John... but I tend not to generalize as best I can!

Quite clear.

I mean, it straight up says who it is...

Grand Longueville
Diplomat

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Longueville » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Menassa wrote:
Grand Longueville wrote:
Quite clear.

Straight up.
I am an unabashed Absolute Ultramontanist Monarchist. I am not a fascist.

I am a Catholic Seminarian, faithful to the Magisterium of Holy Mother Church, discerning a vocation to the Priesthood

Feel free to PM me!

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Join the Baptist church. We are friendly and more than likely we will offer you donuts.
Myers Briggs: ENTP-A
8values: N/A

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Menassa wrote:
Grand Longueville wrote:
Quite clear.

Don't get your tzitzit in a bundle

know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan... [Revelation 2]
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Grand Longueville wrote:
Menassa wrote:I mean, it straight up says who it is...

Straight up.

*scratches head*

Vazdania wrote:
Menassa wrote:I mean, it straight up says who it is...

Don't get your tzitzit in a bundle

know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan... [Revelation 2]

That's the funniest line I've heard in my entire life... not joking.

Seriously, they get in a bundle... and I never went to the boy scouts...

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:45 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:

Join the Baptist church. We are friendly and more than likely we will offer you donuts.

and coffee.
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 pm

From some one who currently is southern Baptist, the honeymoon period ends quickly. Once that happens, and you start really listening, it becomes clear their message is a thin facade of the Truth that is God.

Well you have to understand that might not be all Southern Baptist. Like the church I was at before the one I am at now was really a sorry sight, but my new church is really good.

Athartha
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Grand Longueville wrote:
Menassa wrote:You have stated the Catholic Church has never persecuted the Jews, this is a lie.

I find it differently..

Unfortunately, it is not different. The Church has, historically, persecuted Jews and Muslims. While the Church today recognizes Jews as the "the first to hear the Word of God," and the similar goals between the Jewish people and the Christian Church (CCC 840: "...expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah.") it has not always seen it in a similar light. But, we'd like to keep that in the past.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi

Ordained Catholic Priest

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:Join the Baptist church. We are friendly and more than likely we will offer you donuts.

and coffee.

And hot chocolate in the winter.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Athartha wrote:
Grand Longueville wrote:
I find it differently..

Unfortunately, it is not different. The Church has, historically, persecuted Jews and Muslims. While the Church today recognizes Jews as the "the first to hear the Word of God," and the similar goals between the Jewish people and the Christian Church (CCC 840: "...expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah.") it has not always seen it in a similar light. But, we'd like to keep that in the past.

As I said father, I am more than 100% willing to do that, but to completely forget the past would be an issue with me.

Moving forward however and learning from our mistakes is an essential part of spiritual growth!

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:
Vazdania wrote:and coffee.

And hot chocolate in the winter.

funny....We're always offered hot apple cider and coffee :P instead of Hot Chocolate

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Grand Longueville wrote:
No, Luther's reforms are incompatible with the Catholic faith. From a pragmatic view, it would be embarrassing. I'd rather retain what vocations we're getting than bend backwards for converts.

Thank goodness.

Have you actually read the 95 theses and the accords of the Diet of Worms?

I blame the Holy Roman Emperor for Luther's Radicalization.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:49 pm

For the longest time, I felt alone in my battles while I was a LGBT Ally....but with this website, I don't feel that way anymore

http://notalllikethat.org/

Check the site out if you want to learn more :)
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:And hot chocolate in the winter.

funny....We're always offered hot apple cider and coffee :P instead of Hot Chocolate

We offer coffee, lemonade, and donuts all year and hot chocolate in the winter. We also have chex mix all year.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Benuty wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Thank goodness.

Have you actually read the 95 theses and the accords of the Diet of Worms?

I blame the Holy Roman Emperor for Luther's Radicalization.

No I've not.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Athartha
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Athartha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Menassa wrote:
Athartha wrote:Unfortunately, it is not different. The Church has, historically, persecuted Jews and Muslims. While the Church today recognizes Jews as the "the first to hear the Word of God," and the similar goals between the Jewish people and the Christian Church (CCC 840: "...expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah.") it has not always seen it in a similar light. But, we'd like to keep that in the past.

As I said father, I am more than 100% willing to do that, but to completely forget the past would be an issue with me.

Moving forward however and learning from our mistakes is an essential part of spiritual growth!

Absolutely. To completely forget or ignore the Church's past involvement in Anti-semetism and persecution of the Jewish people would be foolish. But it is also important to remember the Church has moved past that and would like to keep that in the past - it has no place in the Modern Church.

I would like to think of it as that, part of the Church's own spiritual growth.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi

Ordained Catholic Priest

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General