NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion and Capital Punishment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Keritzka wrote:
Ikania wrote:... As for capital punishment, well, obviously Hitler would be an exception... But anyways, an eye for an eye, buddy.

Are you intent on making us all blind?

Except Hitler apparently :blink:
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Kemalist
Senator

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kemalist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 pm

I support both. Abortion right up to 20 weeks and public execution for mass murderers, rapists and child abusers (by hanging from a crane just like in Iran, one of the rare things I admire about them).
Last edited by Kemalist on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Likes: Ataturk's ideals, CHP, State feminism, Social liberalism, LGBT rights, Laïcité, FEMEN, Civic nationalism, Westernization, Turkish Gezi protests, Social drinking, Anime
Dislikes: Bigotry, Religious conservatism, Authoritarianism, Ethnic nationalism, Moralism, Hijab, Stereotypes, Turcophobia

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Kemalist wrote:I support both. Abortion right up to 20 weeks and public execution for mass murderers, rapists and child abusers (by hanging from a crane just like in Iran, one of the rare things I admire about them).

You admire their violations of human rights and attempts to stir up some sort of public death culture?
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Kemalist
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kemalist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Kemalist wrote:I support both. Abortion right up to 20 weeks and public execution for mass murderers, rapists and child abusers (by hanging from a crane just like in Iran, one of the rare things I admire about them).

You admire their violations of human rights and attempts to stir up some sort of public death culture?

They have no mercy for rapists. That's what I admire. I think the rapists should be punished in the harshest way. The same goes for the mass murderers and child abusers.
Last edited by Kemalist on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Likes: Ataturk's ideals, CHP, State feminism, Social liberalism, LGBT rights, Laïcité, FEMEN, Civic nationalism, Westernization, Turkish Gezi protests, Social drinking, Anime
Dislikes: Bigotry, Religious conservatism, Authoritarianism, Ethnic nationalism, Moralism, Hijab, Stereotypes, Turcophobia

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Kemalist wrote:They have no mercy for rapists. That's what I admire.
I can't say a lack of mercy is something I find admirable. Generally that is something I, and the vast majority of the world for that matter, consider to be utterly repulsive and a horrendous moral error.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Kemalist
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kemalist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Kemalist wrote:They have no mercy for rapists. That's what I admire.
I can't say a lack of mercy is something I find admirable. Generally that is something I, and the vast majority of the world for that matter, consider to be utterly repulsive and a horrendous moral error.

Well; that's just my opinion.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 pm

In my opinion I should deal with crime and punishment and pregnancy separately. I can't see a relationship between these subjects. Image

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:35 am

I support reproductive rights, and do not support capital punishment.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Curlywurlyia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Curlywurlyia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 am

I am against both abortion and capital punishment. Human beings should not have the right to decide to take another human beings life, whether that human being is a foetus or a murderer.
Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69

Saint Kitten
Senator

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:24 am

Deleted
Last edited by Saint Kitten on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Kummen
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kummen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:25 am

Kirav wrote:Yes, I oppose both abortion and capital punishment.

However, I don't think that supporting one makes opposing the other philosophically untenable.

I imagine Patricia Heaton'll agree with you. Here's what I hope is a useful link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Heaton#Political_and_social_advocacy

On that note, I have no quarrel with abortion or capital punishment. At all.
Last edited by Kummen on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 am

Yes.
No to both of them.

Kummen
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kummen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:Yes.
No to both of them.

Were you talking to me, or were you talking to someone else, and I ended up appearing just as you posted?

Saint Kitten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 am

Deleted
Last edited by Saint Kitten on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Saint Kitten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:32 am

Deleted
Last edited by Saint Kitten on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 am

Saint Kitten wrote:I think you should only use abortion if your unwillingly umm... Committed the act. If you did it on your own free will then there was always the morning after pill and such things to stop a baby from growing.

Sex is not consent to pregnancy.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Saint Kitten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 am

Deleted
Last edited by Saint Kitten on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 am

Kummen wrote:
Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:Yes.
No to both of them.

Were you talking to me, or were you talking to someone else, and I ended up appearing just as you posted?

The OP.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 am

Saint Kitten wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Sex is not consent to pregnancy.

Sorry, what? I didn't understand that.

Having sex is not consenting to getting pregnant.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Lerodan Chinamerica
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:44 am

Because liberals think dead fetuses are tastier than dead rapists.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:Because liberals think dead fetuses are tastier than dead rapists.

Must. eat. more. babby.

Saint Kitten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 am

Deleted
Last edited by Saint Kitten on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Lerodan Chinamerica
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:50 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:Because liberals think dead fetuses are tastier than dead rapists.

Must. eat. more. babby.

Obama: Women have a right to their own body!

Heeheeheehee... maw babby for me!!! NOM NOM NOM

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:04 am

Although I understand the position of those who see a contradiction, I do not personally see a contradiction.

Both sides of the debate tend to, in fact, argue the same thing as the other side but in reverse.

The Pro-Choice/Pro-Criminal1 side argues that a foetus is not a human, but that capital punishment is wrong on some level.

The Pro-Life/Pro-Justice side argues that life begin at conception, but that criminals are not human.

In principle I would align myself with the second group, as I am pro-life2 but also pro death penalty3.

Footnotes:

1 I'm just pulling yer legs with the slightly inflammatory titles, please do relax I have an odd sense of humour

2 I'm pro-life in principle, in that I believe that life begins at conception and that a foetus is therefore a human. In practice I still support abortion in cases such as if it endangers the mother's physical or mental health, or in cases such as rape and incest, or if the child would live a horrible unpleasant life due to poverty or genetic factors.

3 Again, in principle I support the death penalty in that I have no moral objection to it. I'm not big on the whole "rehabilitation/second chances" thing, and reject the idea that criminals should be privy to human rights when they have failed to uphold their human responsibilities. However in practice I accept that we can rarely prove beyond doubt someone's guilt, and that we should not risk executing innocent people and thus feel that it's an impractical punishment.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:01 am

Illiberals want an excuse to kill people. Rapists give them an excuse but fetuses don't.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General