NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion and Capital Punishment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

The Shadow Brotherhood wrote:
There are completely different questions involved.Children Fetuses have pain impulses and can even be taught games inside of the womb at 23 weeks. Children Fetuses have been scientifically proven to be conscious at five months. However, the brainstem doesn't even form at until seven months.

Fixed.

And even then, it's still bullshit. Fetuses aren't conscious at five months.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Aethrys wrote:
It's not bloodlust, it's keeping society safe while also adhering to fiscally responsible practices. The ultimate goal is to remove those who cannot be rehabilitated permanently in a way that doesn't result in more wasted resources than those they have already destroyed through their crimes.

And to avoid being executed, you just have to not be a murderer/serial rapist/other equally heinous individual.

Or be wrongfully convicted of being such.

Admittedly some will slip through the cracks. That's a regrettable side effect, but acceptable. The solution would be to bar any prosecutor or judge who winds up executing an innocent from practicing law ever again. Those who fail to do their jobs correctly will be weeded out, and the system will improve with time, resulting in a decrease in wrongful executions.

In this manner, their deaths will serve to improve society, while allowing more dangerous criminals to be eliminated, ensuring a net positive impact on society.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

The Shadow Brotherhood wrote:It is not Ironic.

There are completely different questions involved. Children have pain impulses and can even be taught games inside of the womb at 23 weeks. Children have been scientifically proven to be conscious at five months. However, the brainstem doesn't even form at until seven months.

The difference between the two is this:

With abortion, they are getting the consequences of someone else's stupid decision. With the death penalty, they are getting the consequences of their own actions.

Abortion should be allowed in SPECIFIC cases, but all clinics should be up to surgical standards. We don't want to facilitate what happens in the alleys.

They're not children by definition, and the mother has a right to sexual activity without facing the "consequences" of her actions. Should "sluts" have to deal with STDs because they're the consequences of their actions?
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Aethrys wrote:
The solution would be to bar any prosecutor or judge who winds up executing an innocent from practicing law ever again. Those who fail to do their jobs correctly will be weeded out, and the system will improve with time, resulting in a decrease in wrongful executions.

Great, so you don't understand how the legal system works.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Shadow Brotherhood
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shadow Brotherhood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Aethrys wrote:
It's not bloodlust, it's keeping society safe while also adhering to fiscally responsible practices. The ultimate goal is to remove those who cannot be rehabilitated permanently in a way that doesn't result in more wasted resources than those they have already destroyed through their crimes.

And to avoid being executed, you just have to not be a murderer/serial rapist/other equally heinous individual.

Or be wrongfully convicted of being such.

Efficiency =/= carelessness
Political Compass:
Left/Right: 2.5
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.5
Nationality: American
Political Party: Republican
Paleo-Conservative

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Aethrys wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Quicker executions means innocents will be thrown into the pot. Fuck that noise, I'm not dying to sate your bloodlust.

It is bloodlust; Unless you wish for innocents to be culled along with the "heinous", as will inevitably happen due to the imperfect nature of the courts, life imprisonment is a cheaper choice, thus throwing your "fiscally responsible" and "safe society" bullshit out the window. Resources won't be wasted; They will go towards rehabilitation efforts. That isn't wasting.

Or avoid being framed. Innocents have been put on death row before. And you would have them killed to increase the efficiency at which we kill innocents along with the guilty. No. Fuck that.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Frisivisia wrote:Or be wrongfully convicted of being such.

Tell that to those who have been put on death row but were innocent.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm

There are completely different questions involved. Children have pain impulses and can even be taught games inside of the womb at 23 weeks.

Children can't be taught anything inside the womb, children are not found in wombs.

Children have been scientifically proven to be conscious at five months.

usually before that, but what does that have to do with fetuses?

However, the brainstem doesn't even form at until seven months.

No it forms before birth

With abortion, they are getting the consequences of someone else's stupid decision. With the death penalty, they are getting the consequences of their own actions.

or someone else's

Abortion should be allowed in SPECIFIC cases, but all clinics should be up to surgical standards.

why? abortions are not surgical procedures.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:01 pm

It sure seems like it when we're knocking off people we know to be innocent.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Aethrys wrote:

Admittedly some will slip through the cracks. That's a regrettable side effect, but acceptable. The solution would be to bar any prosecutor or judge who winds up executing an innocent from practicing law ever again. Those who fail to do their jobs correctly will be weeded out, and the system will improve with time, resulting in a decrease in wrongful executions.

In this manner, their deaths will serve to improve society, while allowing more dangerous criminals to be eliminated, ensuring a net positive impact on society.

No, that isn't acceptable. Any innocent death is completely unacceptable, and the "punishment" you offer is bullshit. Why are those murderers not subject to the same punishment? And the only thing that will change is the ability of the system to cover up their failures so the corrupt and wrong could keep their jobs.

Any innocent death causes more negative than their sacrifice ever will, especially when execution is a failure as far as deterrence goes when compared to life imprisonment.

@}-;-'---

The Shadow Brotherhood
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shadow Brotherhood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

There are completely different questions involved. Children have pain impulses and can even be taught games inside of the womb at 23 weeks. Children have been scientifically proven to be conscious at five months. However, the brainstem doesn't even form at until seven months.

Abortion should be allowed in SPECIFIC cases, but all clinics should be up to surgical standards. We don't want to facilitate what happens in the alleys.

They're not children by definition, and the mother has a right to sexual activity without facing the "consequences" of her actions. Should "sluts" have to deal with STDs because they're the consequences of their actions?

The mother's right to pursuit of happiness does not take precedence over the child's right to life. I don't give a damn (no offense)what the definition says, science says a baby becomes conscious between 7-21 weeks, and that is what I will base my conclusion off of.

Should sluts have to deal with STDs? No, and this is irrelevant, because the STDs do not involve another human life.
Political Compass:
Paleo-Conservative

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Frisivisia wrote:They're not children by definition, and the mother has a right to sexual activity without facing the "consequences" of her actions. Should "sluts" have to deal with STDs because they're the consequences of their actions?

The mother's right to pursuit of happiness does not take precedence over the child's right to life. I don't give a damn (no offense)what the definition says, science says a baby becomes conscious between 7-21 weeks, and that is what I will base my conclusion off of.

Should sluts have to deal with STDs? No, and this is irrelevant, because the STDs do not involve another human life.

There is no legal right to life. Or happiness, for that matter. There is a legal right to privacy and the sovereignty over ones body.

@}-;-'---

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Frisivisia wrote:They're not children by definition, and the mother has a right to sexual activity without facing the "consequences" of her actions. Should "sluts" have to deal with STDs because they're the consequences of their actions?

The mother gets to determine what happens in her body, not you, not the fetus, just her.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Aethrys wrote:
The solution would be to bar any prosecutor or judge who winds up executing an innocent from practicing law ever again. Those who fail to do their jobs correctly will be weeded out, and the system will improve with time, resulting in a decrease in wrongful executions.

Great, so you don't understand how the legal system works.

I know how it fails to work, and how it should work.

Law is something far too many people get into for a cushy job and to make a lot of money. It should be for those who wish to assist in carrying out the laws that keep society functional. DAs should be people that wish to ensure a defendant has their side fairly presented, while Prosecutors should wish to contribute to the health of society by cutting out the cancer within it.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

"Science says" bla bla bla. Where the fuck's the source for that?
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

The Shadow Brotherhood wrote: science says a baby becomes conscious between 7-21 weeks

No it doesn't.

The Shadow Brotherhood
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shadow Brotherhood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

It sure seems like it when we're knocking off people we know to be innocent.

I can agree with that, but efficiency means improving the current system, without changing how it operates.

Whether that is doable in reality is a different story.
Political Compass:
Paleo-Conservative

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Aethrys wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Great, so you don't understand how the legal system works.

So yeah, you admit you don't understand how it doesn't to work. Cool.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Aethrys wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Great, so you don't understand how the legal system works.

Law is something far too many people get into for a cushy job and to make a lot of money. It should be for those who wish to assist in carrying out the laws that keep society functional. DAs should be people that wish to ensure a defendant has their side fairly presented, while Prosecutors should wish to contribute to the health of society by cutting out the cancer within it.

No, you don't, if you think summary executions after a sham trial are a good idea.

@}-;-'---

Union Of Canadorian Socialists Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Union Of Canadorian Socialists Republic » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:06 pm

If you don't like abortion that's your choice. Don't force your views on everyone, because they also have the right to an opinion. Calling abortion "wrong" is an opinion, not a fact. What's "wrong" is making others live by your teachings.
Pro: LGBT rights, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Drug Legalization, Non-Interventionism, Free Immigration, Gun Rights, Secularism
Anti: Socialism, Totalitarianism, Big Government, Bigotry, Nationalism, Censorship, Capital Punishment
Pro: Modernism, Minimalism, International Style
Anti: Postmodernism, Excessive Building Codes, Urban Sprawl, Traditionalism.[/box]
Canador is a neutral Federal Libertarian Constitutional Republic.
What I look Like
The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, The Drums, Fleet Foxes, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Fratellis, Mr. Little Jeans, The Decemberists, Caught a Ghost, TV on the Radio
Blazers, Oxford Shoes/Boots, Waistcoats, Scarves, Skinny Jeans

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:06 pm

The mother's right to pursuit of happiness does not take precedence over the child's right to life.

correct, except a zygote is not a child.
A mother's right to pursuit of happiness does take precedence over a zygotes "right" to life.

I don't give a damn (no offense)what the definition says, science says a baby becomes conscious between 7-21 weeks,

source?
and what does that have to do with fetuses?
Last edited by Sociobiology on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Frisivisia wrote:It sure seems like it when we're knocking off people we know to be innocent.

I can agree with that, but efficiency means improving the current system, without changing how it operates.

Whether that is doable in reality is a different story.

He wants quicker executions, which means changing the current system. Hell no.

@}-;-'---

The Shadow Brotherhood
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shadow Brotherhood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:

"Science says" bla bla bla. Where the fuck's the source for that?

http://news.sciencemag.org/2013/04/when ... -conscious
http://www.eheart.com/cesarean/babies.html
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/aborti ... nmyths.htm
Political Compass:
Paleo-Conservative

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Sources: http://www.eheart.com/cesarean/babies.html
http://news.sciencemag.org/2013/04/when ... -conscious
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/aborti ... nmyths.htm

Source on fetuses having pain impulses during the time when abortion is legal, and being capable of teaching them games. And five months AFTER birth. Read your own damn source.

Abortion is the way women get to protect their bodies from intrusion and exercise their right to bodily autonomy. By saying they can't have an abortion, you are stripping them of their rights and enslaving women.
With the death penalty, you are again stripping people of their rights. Just because they committed a crime in the past does not mean you get to take away their right to life now.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

The Shadow Brotherhood
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shadow Brotherhood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Union Of Canadorian Socialists Republic wrote:If you don't like abortion that's your choice. Don't force your views on everyone, because they also have the right to an opinion. Calling abortion "wrong" is an opinion, not a fact. What's "wrong" is making others live by your teachings.

Yeah! The opinion that grown people have a right to life is wrong too! Murder is ok! Killing other grown people is fine, and if you don't agree with me, you are forcing your rude teachings on us!
Political Compass:
Paleo-Conservative

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General