NATION

PASSWORD

Offensive or Funny?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dress up Jesus

Wildly funny
3%
Mildly amusing
25%
Booooring ... yawn.
37%
Maybe just a bit, oh, I don't know, offputting.
8%
Offensive
11%
Heresy, you need to burn for this
6%
Bonobos.
11%

Total votes : 216

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm a Christian and I have no idea how it would be offensive.

It didn't amuse me, but the idea was at least fun.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 pm

The Tectonic Plates wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Funny in the same way poop jokes are funny, but not to as great an extent.

I want to see the Moses and Mohammed versions as well though.

Edit: Ohholycrapthere'saMohammedversion!

This isn't very well known, I doubt it'll start a shitfest.

I hope it doesn't start a shitfest.

Its kind of inferior to the Jesus one, due to not having as many options.

Coffee Cakes wrote:I'm a Christian and I have no idea how it would be offensive.

Exactly my thoughts.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The Tectonic Plates
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tectonic Plates » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Grenartia wrote:
The Tectonic Plates wrote:
This isn't very well known, I doubt it'll start a shitfest.

I hope it doesn't start a shitfest.

Its kind of inferior to the Jesus one, due to not having as many options.

Let's hope no one picks up to it. >.>

Coffee Cakes wrote:I'm a Christian and I have no idea how it would be offensive.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm an Atheist, I got bored of it within thirty seconds.

Considering how much I'm taxing my internet right now, It may have taken longer to load than I used it for.
Social Democratic Cosmopolitan
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."
- Bertrand Russell

Male
Social Democrat/State Capitalist
Social Progressive

Gravengoth
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gravengoth » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Erucia wrote:
Aeribis wrote:
Actually, Christians believe him as a prophet as well as the Son of God.
I got a small giggle when I first saw it, but, if I'm being completely honest, I feel it's disrespectful to the Christians. All for jokes made against them, but this is kinda crossing a line. If he wasn't crucified, I wouldn't say anything, but come on guys.

It comes down to that it can't be disrespectful. I'd be fine if it was just "Dress Jesus up in Wacky Costumes!", but the fact that he's nailed to a cross is a bit much.

Sorta the same with the Muhammad Dress-Up I saw on the same site, only that's outright disrespectful just for showing him.

Christians can wear gold and silver depictions of Jesus on the cross as jewlery and that isn't offensive? Didn't Jesus have a couple lesson in the Bible about how flaunting your faith is wrong and also so is being obsessed with material wealth is not the way to heaven? I mean, the crucifixion necklace thing seems to violate both.

Winland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Winland » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I would've loved this back when I had a hate-boner for religion.
In other words — and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded — their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

Erucia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Erucia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Gravengoth wrote:
Erucia wrote:It comes down to that it can't be disrespectful. I'd be fine if it was just "Dress Jesus up in Wacky Costumes!", but the fact that he's nailed to a cross is a bit much.

Sorta the same with the Muhammad Dress-Up I saw on the same site, only that's outright disrespectful just for showing him.

Christians can wear gold and silver depictions of Jesus on the cross as jewlery and that isn't offensive? Didn't Jesus have a couple lesson in the Bible about how flaunting your faith is wrong and also so is being obsessed with material wealth is not the way to heaven? I mean, the crucifixion necklace thing seems to violate both.

Did I ever mention or defend crucifixion necklaces, or did I advertise my faith?

I don't agree with wearing crucifixion necklaces in the least, since it's rather distasteful. I really don't see a good reasoning for people wearing them; please don't make such assumptions about me.

On a side note: after some time, I really don't feel offended by the "Dress Up Jesus on a Cross" thing more than I feel it's just distasteful.
"Peace, like war, must be waged."
- George Clooney, 60'th Anniversary of UN Peacekeeping
I wear teal, blue pink & red for Swith.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Erucia wrote:
Gravengoth wrote:

Did I ever mention or defend crucifixion necklaces, or did I advertise my faith?

I don't agree with wearing crucifixion necklaces in the least, since it's rather distasteful. I really don't see a good reasoning for people wearing them; please don't make such assumptions about me.

On a side note: after some time, I really don't feel offended by the "Dress Up Jesus on a Cross" thing more than I feel it's just distasteful.

I agree. It's more rude and distasteful than offensive.

DogDoo 7
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby DogDoo 7 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Funny in the same way poop jokes are funny, but not to as great an extent.

I want to see the Moses and Mohammed versions as well though.

Edit: Ohholycrapthere'saMohammedversion!

MosesDressup would be far less offensive. Now "torah scroll dressup" (in not appropriate clothing) WOULD be offensive.
Just ask this scientician--Troy McClure

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Funny
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:14 am

Finally, another reasonable individual.

BTW: Olthar, I agree with you.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The Independent States
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Independent States » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:52 am

Might even be offensive to some people who aren't Christians, I would suggest leaving religious and political figures out of "dress up".

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:12 pm

Got a quick chuckle out of it bit other then that it's nothing special.
Nice Little Quotes
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

Fighting for peace, is like fucking for chastity
-Stephen King

Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Political Compass of Sedikal
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Imsogone wrote:This hasn't been posted here in ... years, possibly not since Jolt. Anyway, I'm posting it as a form of, oh, test, I guess. That's not really the right word for it, but nothing better comes to mind.

The first time I saw this, I thought it was hysterically funny, as I got a bit older, I decided it was mildly amusing, now I think it's sort of meh.

I guess I really just want to know how you feel about it ... amused, bored, offended.

http://www.jesusdressup.com/

I'm going to go with: it's just stupid.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Mmm, meh. Not really all that amusing.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Stupid, but not offensive in the least.

^
Saying this as a Christian btdubbz
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Why do you consider the two mutually exclusive?

Of course it's offensive; and that's precisely the point, and what makes it so funny. Part of humor (and in particular, dark humor) is it's offensive nature, which serves to gauge reactions from shock value, and to play up the absurdity of certain situations, thereby disarming them.

In other words, what makes it funny, is exactly the fact that it is offensive. And that's not a bad thing. Whether or not you personally enjoy dark humor, it's important that we have it as a society, as it allows us to deal with and overcome the terrible things in life, by finding ways to mentally disarm them.

Case in point: This site (which makes a mockery of Jesus) can be important to both Christains and non-Christaisn alike. For Christains, it can be a humorous way of dealing with the reality of their perceived circumstances, and the suffering experienced by their God. For the non-believer, it can be a way to laugh at and cope with the reality that people believe in something which they perceive to be nonsense, or even harmful.

Dark humor is a great thing, and I wish people would stop shaming it and trying to drive it out of society.
Last edited by Aurora Novus on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:50 pm

I think it was mildly amusing.
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 am

The superman outfit got a smirk, though I didn't bother to actually put any of them on him.
I got the joke without actually having to participate. "yeh, jesus in funny outfits. got it."
It's amusing for a few seconds. Nothing more.
Anyone offended by this is out to find something to be offended by.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:14 am

As a Christian I find this offensive
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:14 am

Australian Republic wrote:As a Christian I find this offensive

Find the place in duh bebil that says this is wrong/bad.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:15 am

How so?
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 am

And as an Atheist I find this hilarious....I guess, I mean as long as we're hiding behind group identity.
Really though it's boring and lame and pointless to get upset over.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 am

Found it.
This is my response to all the people here who are offended.

Ostro.MOV

Vorshka
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorshka » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 am

Imsogone wrote:This hasn't been posted here in ... years, possibly not since Jolt. Anyway, I'm posting it as a form of, oh, test, I guess. That's not really the right word for it, but nothing better comes to mind.

The first time I saw this, I thought it was hysterically funny, as I got a bit older, I decided it was mildly amusing, now I think it's sort of meh.

I guess I really just want to know how you feel about it ... amused, bored, offended.

http://www.jesusdressup.com/

I got a small laugh.
(███████████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

I am a Jedi (^^)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Found it.
This is my response to all the people here who are offended.

:palm:
Tell me when I once complained? Tell me when I once carried on? Tell me when I didn't ignore it. All that I did is state that I didn't like it
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General