NATION

PASSWORD

Offensive or Funny?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dress up Jesus

Wildly funny
3%
Mildly amusing
25%
Booooring ... yawn.
37%
Maybe just a bit, oh, I don't know, offputting.
8%
Offensive
11%
Heresy, you need to burn for this
6%
Bonobos.
11%

Total votes : 216

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm honestly shocked that people are finding this offensive. It's just a stupid dress up game. There's nothing worth getting offended over. I'm sure you've got better things to do with your time and energy.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Liberated Counties
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Counties » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Diopolis wrote:
DogDoo 7 wrote:The whole Jesus thing is weird though. Like why does he actually have to be God? Can't he just be a respected prophet? I could take Christians much more seriously if this were the case.

He's not a god, He is God. Well, the personification of God.

So, technically his mother is also his one night stand?
Creepy.

I find this mildly amusing now it works :p
Last edited by Liberated Counties on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Liberal Capitalist living in the UK.

IIwiki Page | NStracker Page | Factbook

Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Miyager
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Miyager » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Olthar wrote:I'm honestly shocked that people are finding this offensive. It's just a stupid dress up game. There's nothing worth getting offended over. I'm sure you've got better things to do with your time and energy.

I'm not offended. I think it's pretty stupid though.
I'm back I think.

Erucia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Erucia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Aeribis wrote:
Hvergelmir wrote:It's boring. There are much better ways to poke fun at the Judeo-Christian god.

Why are you referring to Jesus as a prophet if you're a Christian? Only Muslims think that.

Actually, Christians believe him as a prophet as well as the Son of God.
I got a small giggle when I first saw it, but, if I'm being completely honest, I feel it's disrespectful to the Christians. All for jokes made against them, but this is kinda crossing a line. If he wasn't crucified, I wouldn't say anything, but come on guys.

It comes down to that it can't be disrespectful. I'd be fine if it was just "Dress Jesus up in Wacky Costumes!", but the fact that he's nailed to a cross is a bit much.

Sorta the same with the Muhammad Dress-Up I saw on the same site, only that's outright disrespectful just for showing him.
Last edited by Erucia on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Peace, like war, must be waged."
- George Clooney, 60'th Anniversary of UN Peacekeeping
I wear teal, blue pink & red for Swith.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Mildly offensive to some and boring. Yawn...
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Hvergelmir
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hvergelmir » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Aeribis wrote:
Hvergelmir wrote:It's boring. There are much better ways to poke fun at the Judeo-Christian god.

Why are you referring to Jesus as a prophet if you're a Christian? Only Muslims think that.

Actually, Christians believe him as a prophet as well as the Son of God.
I got a small giggle when I first saw it, but, if I'm being completely honest, I feel it's disrespectful to the Christians. All for jokes made against them, but this is kinda crossing a line. If he wasn't crucified, I wouldn't say anything, but come on guys.

A prophet is defined as a person who speaks for God or a deity by divine inspiration. I think it is quite silly for God to send his own son as a prophet, but I suppose you could consider Jesus Christ to be a prophet in addition to the Son of God. In any case, I don't see why people find this offensive.
Last edited by Hvergelmir on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ylpeys, tuo kavalin tauti päällä maan, näin on vienyt taas yhden uhrin muassaan. Kumpi lie se epatto, kilpi alhaalla ja miekka koholla teilleen mennyt vaiko hän joka hautoja kaivaa saa?

Thus pride, that most insidious illness on all earth, once again has taken its prey. Which one might be the failure, he who left with a lowered shield and sword held high or he who has to dig the graves?

Erucia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Erucia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Hvergelmir wrote:A prophet is defined as a person who speaks for God or a deity by divine inspiration. I think it is quite silly for God to send his own son as a prophet, but I suppose you could consider Jesus Christ to be a prophet in addition to the Son of God. In any case, I don't see why people find this offensive. It's not like they're playing dress-up with the prophet Muhammad or anything.

*Cough-Cough* Dress-Up Muhammad.

Aldheim
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aldheim » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't really find it funny or offensive
"Some people confuse liberty and license; they think this country owes them nothing but privileges, and that nobody ought ever to lay down the law to them about their moral responsibilities." - Harry S. Truman

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Erucia wrote:
Hvergelmir wrote:A prophet is defined as a person who speaks for God or a deity by divine inspiration. I think it is quite silly for God to send his own son as a prophet, but I suppose you could consider Jesus Christ to be a prophet in addition to the Son of God. In any case, I don't see why people find this offensive. It's not like they're playing dress-up with the prophet Muhammad or anything.

Nothing wrong with that either.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Hvergelmir
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hvergelmir » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Erucia wrote:

Take note of how I edited my response before you posted this.
Ylpeys, tuo kavalin tauti päällä maan, näin on vienyt taas yhden uhrin muassaan. Kumpi lie se epatto, kilpi alhaalla ja miekka koholla teilleen mennyt vaiko hän joka hautoja kaivaa saa?

Thus pride, that most insidious illness on all earth, once again has taken its prey. Which one might be the failure, he who left with a lowered shield and sword held high or he who has to dig the graves?

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 pm

I don't find it offensive, but I can see how it can be offensive. It's boring, too.

By that, I mean, it doesn't offend me. I see how it offends others, though.
Last edited by Thafoo on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erucia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Erucia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Hvergelmir wrote:
Erucia wrote:*Cough-Cough* Dress-Up Muhammad.

Take note of how I edited my response before you posted this.

Didn't see, sorry.

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Erucia wrote:*Cough-Cough* Dress-Up Muhammad.

Nothing wrong with that either.

Actually, since Islam dictates that Muhammad may not be shown, that is actually offensive (at least to Muslims).

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Miyager wrote:
Olthar wrote:I'm honestly shocked that people are finding this offensive. It's just a stupid dress up game. There's nothing worth getting offended over. I'm sure you've got better things to do with your time and energy.

If you aren't among the offended, then I'm not talking to you.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Erucia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Erucia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Olthar wrote:
Miyager wrote:

If you aren't among the offended, then I'm not talking to you.

Well, as someone who is offended at it, it's all really an issue of what someone's beliefs are. For someone who really doesn't give two biscuits about Jesus, then sure, it makes sense. But for someone who would consider someone a prophet and the son of God, to then see that prophet to be nailed to a cross and then dressed in a disco outfit?

Yeah, that's the line crossed.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Just kinda immature more than anything.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Funny in the same way poop jokes are funny, but not to as great an extent.

I want to see the Moses and Mohammed versions as well though.

Edit: Ohholycrapthere'saMohammedversion!
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:25 pm

I dunno, putting an afro on Jesus was worth it, but not really funny. Offensive? To some Christians, maybe.

IMO, it's neither funny nor offensive.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Cashewbutter
Envoy

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cashewbutter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm neither offended nor entertained by it. Electronic paper dolls, yawn. It's a little disrespectful, I guess, but if I got offended every time someone did or said something that's disrespectful to someone else, I'd be walking around with a constant scowl.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Imsogone wrote:This hasn't been posted here in ... years, possibly not since Jolt. Anyway, I'm posting it as a form of, oh, test, I guess. That's not really the right word for it, but nothing better comes to mind.

The first time I saw this, I thought it was hysterically funny, as I got a bit older, I decided it was mildly amusing, now I think it's sort of meh.

I guess I really just want to know how you feel about it ... amused, bored, offended.

http://www.jesusdressup.com/

I find this kind of offensive...
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Even removing the Jesus association it is the depiction of a dead and tortured man being used as a crass dress me up game which even includes a strap on dildo.

If it was a hanging black man or a jew in a gas chamber would you still be shocked if I found it offensively stupid
Last edited by Cetacea on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baptist Korea
Attaché

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baptist Korea » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 pm

To be honest, I found this hilarious at first and then completely ad totally offensive. Then both at the same tide.
While I am Christian, I doubt Jesus would be offended by this. Just putting that out there.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Not really offensive. Maybe a little bit rude but overall dull, boring, and just plain a waste of time.

The Tectonic Plates
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tectonic Plates » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Funny in the same way poop jokes are funny, but not to as great an extent.

I want to see the Moses and Mohammed versions as well though.

Edit: Ohholycrapthere'saMohammedversion!

This isn't very well known, I doubt it'll start a shitfest.

I hope it doesn't start a shitfest.
Social Democratic Cosmopolitan
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."
- Bertrand Russell

Male
Social Democrat/State Capitalist
Social Progressive

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Johto and Kanto wrote:
Imsogone wrote:This hasn't been posted here in ... years, possibly not since Jolt. Anyway, I'm posting it as a form of, oh, test, I guess. That's not really the right word for it, but nothing better comes to mind.

The first time I saw this, I thought it was hysterically funny, as I got a bit older, I decided it was mildly amusing, now I think it's sort of meh.

I guess I really just want to know how you feel about it ... amused, bored, offended.

http://www.jesusdressup.com/

I'm not necessarily offended by it, but I don't really see how just about anyone could find this amusing.

This, really, though it might be because I'm a Christian. Again, not offended, but just not amused. Though I did find it interesting that one could dress Jesus up as Kurt Cobain...
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General