NATION

PASSWORD

NYT: Jeep Cherokee, culturally insenstive??

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Jeep Cherokee name culturally insensitive?

Yes
9%
No
80%
Maybe
11%

Total votes : 237

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:54 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:No my point is you have to be looking for something to complain about, if you have a problem with a a company that named their vehicles after anything that could be associated with the western US 40 years ago, I would not be surprised if there are more people complaining that they only named if after one tribe and not other tribes.

It is not like it is the only car named after a native american tribe, Apache, Dakota, Winnebago, Pontiac...
or after ethnic groups, Touareg, Mongol...

And all of those are examples of cultural insensitivity. Using the name of an ethnic/cultural group without concern for their feelings on the usage is the definition of cultural insensitivity. So, it's not a matter of looking for something tl complain about, it's a matter of knowing what the words mean.

which car companies are not exactly known for, having named cars after prostitutes, pedophiles, bodily functions, masturbation, insults...
And again my point is it as named forty years ago, at that time cultural sensitivity was not even a meaningful phrase. This is looking for something to complain about.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Every Name is Taken on Here
Secretary

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Every Name is Taken on Here » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:59 am

Quintium wrote:'Cultural sensitivity' is a disease that's breaking up economies, political entities and cultures themselves. No, I do not think it's bad that they've named a car after a tribe - the members of which now have English as their first language, tend to live in comfortable suburban homes, have electricity and running water and televisions and internet, and work a normal job.

I agree.
Just your average Authoritarian Capitalist.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:03 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:And all of those are examples of cultural insensitivity. Using the name of an ethnic/cultural group without concern for their feelings on the usage is the definition of cultural insensitivity. So, it's not a matter of looking for something tl complain about, it's a matter of knowing what the words mean.

which car companies are not exactly known for, having named cars after prostitutes, pedophiles, bodily functions, masturbation, insults...
And again my point is it as named forty years ago, at that time cultural sensitivity was not even a meaningful phrase. This is looking for something to complain about.

Who's complaining? The OP asked a question, namely "Is Jeep's usage of the name 'Cherokee' culturally insensitivity?" The answer to that question is yes.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:06 am

Every Name is Taken on Here wrote:
Quintium wrote:'Cultural sensitivity' is a disease that's breaking up economies, political entities and cultures themselves. No, I do not think it's bad that they've named a car after a tribe - the members of which now have English as their first language, tend to live in comfortable suburban homes, have electricity and running water and televisions and internet, and work a normal job.

I agree.

So, I'm sure you can explain how the underlined is true...
• Call me Makki. •
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
My Political Compass

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:17 am

Northern Dominus wrote:Now, if Jeep were to make a new SUV and call it the Ojibwa or the Anishinaabe, would that be a bit different in your case, just out of curiosity?

I would disapprove greatly even if the tribal leaders were consulted and gave it their approval.
Even if Jeep went to great lengths to ensure the vehicle would embody as many positive traits as they could IE it was built in as eco-neutral of a way as possible, was hardy and able to tackle a wide variety of terrain, sported designs and colors that were informed by a tribal shaman etc. etc.?

Sociobiology wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:And all of those are examples of cultural insensitivity. Using the name of an ethnic/cultural group without concern for their feelings on the usage is the definition of cultural insensitivity. So, it's not a matter of looking for something tl complain about, it's a matter of knowing what the words mean.

Which again is a fair point. The article rants about the Cherokee yet somehow fails to mention other companies doing the same thing to tribes around the world, like Volkswagen and their Touareg...

Every Name is Taken on Here wrote:

I agree.
Because no Cherokees live on a reservation where resources are scarce and crime is rampant right?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:I would disapprove greatly even if the tribal leaders were consulted and gave it their approval.
Even if Jeep went to great lengths to ensure the vehicle would embody as many positive traits as they could IE it was built in as eco-neutral of a way as possible, was hardy and able to tackle a wide variety of terrain, sported designs and colors that were informed by a tribal shaman etc. etc.?

Well, that could work.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:28 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: which car companies are not exactly known for, having named cars after prostitutes, pedophiles, bodily functions, masturbation, insults...
Which again is a fair point. The article rants about the Cherokee yet somehow fails to mention other companies doing the same thing to tribes around the world, like Volkswagen and their Touareg...

one of these days I can talk about the names for various animal species native to the Americas.
Like the
niggerhead clam
, which ,I shit you not, is the actual name for one of the Mississippi clam species harvested to nearly to extinction, and named after the high quality pale green pearls with one black end that they regularly produce,that bears the same name in Italy were such pearls are a rare occurrence in the Italian native clams.

complaining about cultural sensitivity today is one thing complaining about it in the past is like complaining that water is wet.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:31 am

cultrually insesitive? no.

if were called "redskins" i would agree it was insesituve. cherokee is a tribe name, the car is named in honor of the tribe.

interesting for this coversation the "grand cherokee" is the top of the jeep lineup. the car named after the white boyz, "the wrangler", is at the bottom.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:31 am

Northern Dominus wrote:Even if Jeep went to great lengths to ensure the vehicle would embody as many positive traits as they could IE it was built in as eco-neutral of a way as possible, was hardy and able to tackle a wide variety of terrain, sported designs and colors that were informed by a tribal shaman etc. etc.?

Well, that could work.
Which is my contention with using tribal names. If you're going to do that and evoque the image of the tribe, at least have a vehicle that backs up the traits. Which is why this new Cherokee is a bit of an insult, it's a porky bastard that is a bit better than your typical soft-roader, but not that much, certainly not more capable than an equivalent Land Rover. The least they could have done is infuse it with some Wrangler DNA to make it better off-road.

Which is why I hope they resurrect the Comanche name for the first US tiltrotor attack aircraft. Only such a fast, deadly and versatile weapon would be worthy of such a name.

Sociobiology wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:

one of these days I can talk about the names for various animal species native to the Americas.
Like the
niggerhead clam
, which ,I shit you not, is the actual name for one of the Mississippi clam species harvested to nearly to extinction, and named after the high quality pale green pearls with one black end that they regularly produce,that bears the same name in Italy were such pearls are a rare occurrence in the Italian native clams.
It's amazing what us white folks thought was ok over the years isn't it?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: one of these days I can talk about the names for various animal species native to the Americas.
Like the
niggerhead clam
It's amazing what us white folks thought was ok over the years isn't it?

Oh its not just white people, it just we have more English records of such things from white people.
cultural insensitivity is to history what wet is to water.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:18 am

Ethel mermania wrote:cultrually insesitive? no.

if were called "redskins" i would agree it was insesituve. cherokee is a tribe name, the car is named in honor of the tribe.

interesting for this coversation the "grand cherokee" is the top of the jeep lineup. the car named after the white boyz, "the wrangler", is at the bottom.
And yet the porky fat-bastard Cherokee is far less capable off-road than the Wrangler...

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:24 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:cultrually insesitive? no.

And yet the porky fat-bastard Cherokee is far less capable off-road than the Wrangler...

which vehicle would you rather drive 100 miles in?

the indian wins, it is much more civilized.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:40 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:And yet the porky fat-bastard Cherokee is far less capable off-road than the Wrangler...

Depends, what terrain does the 100 miles cover?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Depends, what terrain does the 100 miles cover?

anything but the rubicon

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Costa Fuar
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fuar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:12 am

As a Cherokee Native myself, I don't find anything wrong with it. If anything, Its an honor to have such a great vehicle named after my tribe. A lot of my family drive these as well.
God Fearing, Hardworking, Royalty Descending, Farming, American, Probably Redneck, American Football Loving Bad-ass. I might not approve of your lifestyle, but i will accept you. Unless you talk smack about my family. You will wish you hadn't. Merica!

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Depends, what terrain does the 100 miles cover?

anything but the rubicon
Still the Wrangler. It's more capable off road, it's tougher, and I won't be mistaken for a soccer mom or some suburban twerp in it.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:anything but the rubicon
Still the Wrangler. It's more capable off road, it's tougher, and I won't be mistaken for a soccer mom or some suburban twerp in it.

your kidneys are not very fond of you are they?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Still the Wrangler. It's more capable off road, it's tougher, and I won't be mistaken for a soccer mom or some suburban twerp in it.

My kidneys are well attached and not at all abused by holding it in for too long thank you. :D

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
My kidneys are well attached and not at all abused by holding it in for too long thank you. :D

keep shaken em up in the wrangler and they woln't be,

personal experience is a cruel teacher, but the wrangler is molre fun, the cherolee is more refined.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Costa Fuar wrote:As a Cherokee Native myself, I don't find anything wrong with it. If anything, Its an honor to have such a great vehicle named after my tribe. A lot of my family drive these as well.

So, you enjoy the name, that is interesting.
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:My kidneys are well attached and not at all abused by holding it in for too long thank you. :D

keep shaken em up in the wrangler and they woln't be,

personal experience is a cruel teacher, but the wrangler is molre fun, the cherolee is more refined.
Fun trumps refinement any day in my book.
Refinement is for dull people :twisted:

Forsakia
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Does that also make it culturally insensitive for us to call Irish made whiskey Irish? Or a French kiss a French kiss?

Using a derogatory term for something would be culturally insensitive, yes (example: Washington Redskins. God I hate them), but using a proper name? Not so much.

This is actually getting close to the crux of the issue. Irish Whiskey made by Irish is a badge of cultural 'ownership' which actively honours the cultural history of the product in question. French kissing is a bit more iffy but it does acknowledge a supposed cultural association. The importance of cultural association and commercial products can be seen in the French actively protecting use of the name 'Champagne'.

Jeep using the name Cherokee does nothing to honour the cultural history of the vehicle because Jeep has no cultural connection to the people in question. If they had at least consulted then a connection might have been established, but until it does the use of the name is exploitive. It might be minor on the scale of all issues to worry about but if the French can protect the name Champagne then why shouldn't first nations have the same right to their own names too?

We'll have to find a new word for lesbians I suppose.
Member of Arch's fan club.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:55 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:Also I should add that GM had a car brand called Pontiac, named after a chief Pontiac of the Ottawa tribe, and no one ever asked if that was culturally insensitive, even in modern times.

Someone should have, because it was. Assuming, of course, that GM didn't ask Ottawa tribal leaders if it was okay for them to do so.

New Maldorainia wrote:
Doubt anyone thought of it in the 70's.

Exactly. The use of it was culturally insensitive.

Why didn't you criticize the Grand Cherokee before? Jeep hasn't decided to bring Cherokee back after getting rid of it because it was insensitive. It's been around continuously since 1993. Also, the Volkswagen Touaraeg.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:56 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
I am sure after using Grand Cherokee for so long without a peep, Chrysler never thought anyone would bring this issue up, which I do not blame them for.

I am primarily referring to the initial use.

It's okay if "grand" is in the name, but not okay if "grand" isn't used? Don't dodge the question.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:Look, to be fair at least Jeep isn't delving into bad 50s stereotypes. To name a car or anything a "redskin" these days would be met with a lot of back-blast and vitriol, or any other derogatory name as well. I agree it's not exactly forward thinking of them to just resurrect a name they've used for awhile, but at least they're not having an actor ride on horseback or using the image of the tribe to promote the vehicle in question, and maybe with enough scrutiny Jeep could be compelled to seek forgiveness and future permission from the tribe and donate to one of their charities.

Really all I'm looking for is acknowledgment of it being culturally insensitive. The usage isn't demeaning or derogatory, so no real harm is done by it. It is, however, a symptom of the disregard for foreign cultures.

The Cherokee are American citizens, you know. They aren't foreign anymore. They could try to sue Chrysler if they were actually upset about it, but it isn't like they'd get monetary damages for it. Or write a strongly worded letter.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General