NATION

PASSWORD

NYT: Jeep Cherokee, culturally insenstive??

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Jeep Cherokee name culturally insensitive?

Yes
9%
No
80%
Maybe
11%

Total votes : 237

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Ah yes, you're right.

The Cherokee looks like this:
And is still a porky butt-ugly bastard of a car. I haven't seen such ugly sheetmetal since the Aztec.

It looks like the sport version of the Range Rover, minus the duckbill spoiler and some of the track-shoe-like appearance.
First things first, to your previous post yes I have driven a current-gen Grand Cherokee, and I was thouroughly unimpressed. The thing wallowed like a pregnant hippo when you engaged in any maneuver more violent than an easy lane change, It was so damn big I was afraid I was going to take a wing mirror off in city traffic even if I was skirting the broken white line, and the interior was so hilariously faux upscale I had to wonder if the goofs who came up with the Sebring back in the 90s were back in charge.

As far as the new one... yeah still almost as ugly as the Aztec. If I were one of the Cherokee tribal leaders I'd object based upon the look of the thing alone.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Jeep has a new vehicle that is going to sit under the Cherokee coming out in the future, think it will use another name people find insensitive?
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Also, I know a lot of people who find this insensitive are taking aim at Chrysler, but remember, Jeep did not belong to Chrysler when they first used the Cherokee name, they belonged to the now out of business American Motor Company.
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

Previous

Return to General