NATION

PASSWORD

NYT: Jeep Cherokee, culturally insenstive??

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Jeep Cherokee name culturally insensitive?

Yes
21
9%
No
189
80%
Maybe
27
11%
 
Total votes : 237

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:I never realized it was. The same thing applies, it was culturally insensitive for VW to do it as well.


No one there complained or cared.

And? It doesn't change the fact that using the name without consulting them about it was a culturally insensitive act.
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
New Maldorainia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41774
Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
New Maldorainia wrote:
No one there complained or cared.

And? It doesn't change the fact that using the name without consulting them about it was a culturally insensitive act.
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".


If they thought they should have been consulted, they should have said so like the Cherokee did.
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

User avatar
Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10123
Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:"anyone who disagrees with me must be a privileged white, hetero male from a middle class family"

Holy shit bro, you're not a bigot at all.... :roll:

Mighty defensive aren't you?

I don't like bigots and people who make stereotypes. I'm not apologizing for that fact.
It's quite easy to declare from your position of privilege

Yes, this position of privilege which you just assume I have even though you literally know not one thing about me and only assume I'm arguing from a position of privilege because I'm arguing against you...
that "we" shouldn't care what they think of the use of their name.

We shouldn't. We aren't legally obligated to for starters.
So, oui, one of us is demonstrably bigoted, however, it isn't me.

Yes it is.
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

User avatar
Mushet
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17109
Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Mighty defensive aren't you?

I don't like bigots and people who make stereotypes. I'm not apologizing for that fact.
It's quite easy to declare from your position of privilege

Yes, this position of privilege which you just assume I have even though you literally know not one thing about me and only assume I'm arguing from a position of privilege because I'm arguing against you...
that "we" shouldn't care what they think of the use of their name.

We shouldn't. We aren't legally obligated to for starters.
So, oui, one of us is demonstrably bigoted, however, it isn't me.

Yes it is.

Is your sense of what is the right thing to do and the wrong thing dictated by what is legal and what isn't? You don't think that if a member of the dominant culture wants to use the name of an indigenous people for their branded consumer product that it isn't right to consult the community about the use of their name? And this is a big car company we're talking about they have the resources. You don't think we should care about their opinion on the appropriation of the name of their indigenous nation or take any steps regarding it merely because we're not legally obligated to?
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

About 90 ex-nations for sale and current nations from common to epic, cheap prices

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

User avatar
Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18796
Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Mushet wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:I don't like bigots and people who make stereotypes. I'm not apologizing for that fact.

Yes, this position of privilege which you just assume I have even though you literally know not one thing about me and only assume I'm arguing from a position of privilege because I'm arguing against you...

We shouldn't. We aren't legally obligated to for starters.

Yes it is.

Is your sense of what is the right thing to do and the wrong thing dictated by what is legal and what isn't? You don't think that if a member of the dominant culture wants to use the name of an indigenous people for their branded consumer product that it isn't right to consult the community about the use of their name? And this is a big car company we're talking about they have the resources. You don't think we should care about their opinion on the appropriation of the name of their indigenous nation or take any steps regarding it merely because we're not legally obligated to?

I'm just not seeing the connection. (Not to speak for Vitaphone here)

If a company decides to name their product after a group of people (be it the Cherokee, Scottish Highlanders, or German master hunters) I don't see how this is automatically insensetive or objectionable. It might be if the group actively DOESN'T like the connection, but I don't see how using group names for products is automatically insensitive to that culture. If a drink is called an 'Irish coffee' for example, I'm not seeing the insensitivity until or unless one connects that somehow and uses it in the context of 'those dirty irishmen being incapable of even waking up without hitting the hooch'. The name itself is merely a label that may bear some or absolutely no relation to the group the label references. In such instances these group titles are part of the public lexicon and perfectly open for use as labeling components.

Now, when or if something is labeled in a way that actively causes offense then there begins to be reason to be concerned. As in the aforementioned example, when the term 'irish coffee' becomes less a descriptor of a drink consisting of whiskey and coffee and becomes more attached to 'all irishmen are drunk layabouts' you have a problem, but not before.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

User avatar
Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19987
Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:"anyone who disagrees with me must be a privileged white, hetero male from a middle class family"

Holy shit bro, you're not a bigot at all.... :roll:

Mighty defensive aren't you?
It's quite easy to declare from your position of privilege that "we" shouldn't care what they think of the use of their name. So, oui, one of us is demonstrably bigoted, however, it isn't me.

All "check your privilege" is, as said by others, is "you don't know because of your background". It furthermore implies that because of your background, that you are therefore infallibly correct.
There is no actual basis in it.

It's kind of some new-age, advanced reverse racism.
It's pretty fucking shameful as a "debate tactic".
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:09 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Mighty defensive aren't you?
It's quite easy to declare from your position of privilege that "we" shouldn't care what they think of the use of their name. So, oui, one of us is demonstrably bigoted, however, it isn't me.

All "check your privilege" is, as said by others, is "you don't know because of your background". It furthermore implies that because of your background, that you are therefore infallibly correct.
There is no actual basis in it.

It's kind of some new-age, advanced reverse racism.
It's pretty fucking shameful as a "debate tactic".

I'm not right because of my background, I'm right because using something, like a name, from another culture with no concern about the effect of doing so is literally the definition of cultural insensitivity.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
Saruhan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8013
Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:13 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:All "check your privilege" is, as said by others, is "you don't know because of your background". It furthermore implies that because of your background, that you are therefore infallibly correct.
There is no actual basis in it.

It's kind of some new-age, advanced reverse racism.
It's pretty fucking shameful as a "debate tactic".

I'm not right because of my background, I'm right because using something, like a name, from another culture with no concern about the effect of doing so is literally the definition of cultural insensitivity.

Tell me then, what possible repercussions could this have? I mean having a car named after them isn't exactly a bad thing considering what native are usually known for
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

User avatar
Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29889
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:13 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:All "check your privilege" is, as said by others, is "you don't know because of your background". It furthermore implies that because of your background, that you are therefore infallibly correct.
There is no actual basis in it.

It's kind of some new-age, advanced reverse racism.
It's pretty fucking shameful as a "debate tactic".

I'm not right because of my background, I'm right because using something, like a name, from another culture with no concern about the effect of doing so is literally the definition of cultural insensitivity.

Does that also make it culturally insensitive for us to call Irish made whiskey Irish? Or a French kiss a French kiss?

Using a derogatory term for something would be culturally insensitive, yes (example: Washington Redskins. God I hate them), but using a proper name? Not so much.
Still Married To Erickan, and Actually Engaged to Her. I will unalive you if you flirt with her, and she will delimb you if you flirt with me
Liberals: Promoting Freedom, unless it's guns, hunting, tobacco, food, what you can drive, how much money you can make, what you can say, and where you can pray
F7's Favourite Fascist
Invader of Ireland
Fuehrer of Efseven
F7's Greatest Womanizer
Now Caesar of Efseven, Lord Supreme of TET, and Protector of NSG
NSG's Other Satanist Educate yourself on it.
Lord of House Taltos
I am an Alpha. My preferred pronouns are He, Him, and His. With the capitals. Thank you.
Get it through your fucking head, I CREATE HATE!

User avatar
Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 67399
Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:17 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:All "check your privilege" is, as said by others, is "you don't know because of your background". It furthermore implies that because of your background, that you are therefore infallibly correct.
There is no actual basis in it.

It's kind of some new-age, advanced reverse racism.
It's pretty fucking shameful as a "debate tactic".



And the worst problem is it's EVERYWHERE lately.

I'm sorry... this is getting sigged. :hug:



*Not applying this to Makki, as I have not been involved in the debate*
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.


Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:20 am

Saruhan wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:I'm not right because of my background, I'm right because using something, like a name, from another culture with no concern about the effect of doing so is literally the definition of cultural insensitivity.

Tell me then, what possible repercussions could this have? I mean having a car named after them isn't exactly a bad thing considering what native are usually known for

How many times do I have to say this before it sinks in?
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
The Grey Wolf
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32675
Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Tell me then, what possible repercussions could this have? I mean having a car named after them isn't exactly a bad thing considering what native are usually known for

How many times do I have to say this before it sinks in?
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".


The Cherokee didn't seem to give a damn.

User avatar
Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19987
Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 am

And you're using your background as argument to that point.
And that's fair enough, you claim to have been raised in the Culture, so you're obviously in a position to state whether or not you feel it is.
I personally disagree, but that's a personal thing.

My major objection is to the legitimisation of "check your privilege".
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:24 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:How many times do I have to say this before it sinks in?
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".


The Cherokee didn't seem to give a damn.

Which doesn't change the fact that using their name without consulting them is culturally insensitive.
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29889
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
The Cherokee didn't seem to give a damn.

Which doesn't change the fact that using their name without consulting them is culturally insensitive.
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".

You've mentioned that whole "culturally insensitive" =/= "offensive" thing at least twice now, Miss Makki, most of us get your point.

Now, why care if it isn't offensive? Name one good reason to.
Still Married To Erickan, and Actually Engaged to Her. I will unalive you if you flirt with her, and she will delimb you if you flirt with me
Liberals: Promoting Freedom, unless it's guns, hunting, tobacco, food, what you can drive, how much money you can make, what you can say, and where you can pray
F7's Favourite Fascist
Invader of Ireland
Fuehrer of Efseven
F7's Greatest Womanizer
Now Caesar of Efseven, Lord Supreme of TET, and Protector of NSG
NSG's Other Satanist Educate yourself on it.
Lord of House Taltos
I am an Alpha. My preferred pronouns are He, Him, and His. With the capitals. Thank you.
Get it through your fucking head, I CREATE HATE!

User avatar
Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10123
Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:28 am

Mushet wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:I don't like bigots and people who make stereotypes. I'm not apologizing for that fact.

Yes, this position of privilege which you just assume I have even though you literally know not one thing about me and only assume I'm arguing from a position of privilege because I'm arguing against you...

We shouldn't. We aren't legally obligated to for starters.

Yes it is.

Is your sense of what is the right thing to do and the wrong thing dictated by what is legal and what isn't?

No.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am

Hathradic States wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Which doesn't change the fact that using their name without consulting them is culturally insensitive.
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".

You've mentioned that whole "culturally insensitive" =/= "offensive" thing at least twice now, Miss Makki, most of us get your point.

Now, why care if it isn't offensive? Name one good reason to.

Empathy.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29889
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:34 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:You've mentioned that whole "culturally insensitive" =/= "offensive" thing at least twice now, Miss Makki, most of us get your point.

Now, why care if it isn't offensive? Name one good reason to.

Empathy.

I said good reason. Empathy hardly is.

And, actually, I was referring to the Cherokee people, not to the guys making the car.
Still Married To Erickan, and Actually Engaged to Her. I will unalive you if you flirt with her, and she will delimb you if you flirt with me
Liberals: Promoting Freedom, unless it's guns, hunting, tobacco, food, what you can drive, how much money you can make, what you can say, and where you can pray
F7's Favourite Fascist
Invader of Ireland
Fuehrer of Efseven
F7's Greatest Womanizer
Now Caesar of Efseven, Lord Supreme of TET, and Protector of NSG
NSG's Other Satanist Educate yourself on it.
Lord of House Taltos
I am an Alpha. My preferred pronouns are He, Him, and His. With the capitals. Thank you.
Get it through your fucking head, I CREATE HATE!

User avatar
Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21112
Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:39 am

Hathradic States wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Which doesn't change the fact that using their name without consulting them is culturally insensitive.
"Culturally insensitive"=/="offensive".

You've mentioned that whole "culturally insensitive" =/= "offensive" thing at least twice now, Miss Makki, most of us get your point.

Now, why care if it isn't offensive? Name one good reason to.


Who said you were supposed to care?

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:41 am

Hathradic States wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Empathy.

I said good reason. Empathy hardly is.

And, actually, I was referring to the Cherokee people, not to the guys making the car.

Empathy is a good reason for anyone who isn't a sociopath.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29889
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:42 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:I said good reason. Empathy hardly is.

And, actually, I was referring to the Cherokee people, not to the guys making the car.

Empathy is a good reason for anyone who isn't a sociopath.

Then I am a sociopath. Yay, I always knew it.
Still Married To Erickan, and Actually Engaged to Her. I will unalive you if you flirt with her, and she will delimb you if you flirt with me
Liberals: Promoting Freedom, unless it's guns, hunting, tobacco, food, what you can drive, how much money you can make, what you can say, and where you can pray
F7's Favourite Fascist
Invader of Ireland
Fuehrer of Efseven
F7's Greatest Womanizer
Now Caesar of Efseven, Lord Supreme of TET, and Protector of NSG
NSG's Other Satanist Educate yourself on it.
Lord of House Taltos
I am an Alpha. My preferred pronouns are He, Him, and His. With the capitals. Thank you.
Get it through your fucking head, I CREATE HATE!

User avatar
Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29889
Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:43 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:You've mentioned that whole "culturally insensitive" =/= "offensive" thing at least twice now, Miss Makki, most of us get your point.

Now, why care if it isn't offensive? Name one good reason to.


Who said you were supposed to care?

Probably someone...somewhere...very likely with a neckbeard...I'm stopping this joke now, because it would offend sooo may people.
Still Married To Erickan, and Actually Engaged to Her. I will unalive you if you flirt with her, and she will delimb you if you flirt with me
Liberals: Promoting Freedom, unless it's guns, hunting, tobacco, food, what you can drive, how much money you can make, what you can say, and where you can pray
F7's Favourite Fascist
Invader of Ireland
Fuehrer of Efseven
F7's Greatest Womanizer
Now Caesar of Efseven, Lord Supreme of TET, and Protector of NSG
NSG's Other Satanist Educate yourself on it.
Lord of House Taltos
I am an Alpha. My preferred pronouns are He, Him, and His. With the capitals. Thank you.
Get it through your fucking head, I CREATE HATE!

User avatar
New Maldorainia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41774
Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:21 am

Going by the idea of consulting, companies would sit around trying to find the most boring and bland names just to ensure no one was offended. You can't please everyone, and using a historic nameplate makes sense, except to enthusiasts of the original not happy with the type of vehicle this is.
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

User avatar
Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8417
Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:34 am

New Maldorainia wrote:Going by the idea of consulting, companies would sit around trying to find the most boring and bland names just to ensure no one was offended. You can't please everyone, and using a historic nameplate makes sense, except to enthusiasts of the original not happy with the type of vehicle this is.

Why? Because asking people's permission to use their name is that difficult?
As is stated in your OP, the Cherokee aren't offended by the use of their name, so what would it have cost Jeep if they had just written a letter to tribal leaders saying "We would like to use your name for one of our vehicles, is that okay with you?"
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

User avatar
New Maldorainia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41774
Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:36 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
New Maldorainia wrote:Going by the idea of consulting, companies would sit around trying to find the most boring and bland names just to ensure no one was offended. You can't please everyone, and using a historic nameplate makes sense, except to enthusiasts of the original not happy with the type of vehicle this is.

Why? Because asking people's permission to use their name is that difficult?
As is stated in your OP, the Cherokee aren't offended by the use of their name, so what would it have cost Jeep if they had just written a letter to tribal leaders saying "We would like to use your name for one of our vehicles, is that okay with you?"


I am sure after using Grand Cherokee for so long without a peep, Chrysler never thought anyone would bring this issue up, which I do not blame them for.
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Antityranicals, Argotera, Aureumterra, Bortslovakia, Djuph, Dooom35796821595, Fartsniffage, Galloism, Grenartia, Grinning Dragon, Heloin, Kaltovar, Kowani, LiberNovusAmericae, Loben The 2nd, Lower Nubia, Nakena, Neko-koku, Nova Cyberia, Novus America, Ors Might, Page, Scomagia, Scymira, SI II, Souseiseki, Stellar Colonies, Telconi, The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Huskar Social Union, The Intergalactic Banking Guild, Uiiop, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads