NATION

PASSWORD

NYT: Jeep Cherokee, culturally insenstive??

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Jeep Cherokee name culturally insensitive?

Yes
9%
No
80%
Maybe
11%

Total votes : 237

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:That isn't the question being asked.
The question asked was is it culturally insensitive, not is it offensive.

You say you're part Cherokee... Were you raised in the culture?

He doesn't think it's insensitive to his culture.

I have serious doubts that it is his culture. Having some Cherokee blood doesn't automatically mean that he was raised in the culture.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Geilinor wrote:He doesn't think it's insensitive to his culture.

I have serious doubts that it is his culture. Having some Cherokee blood doesn't automatically mean that he was raised in the culture.

So if he was raised in his culture he would automatically be offended?
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I don't see a problem with this myself, however, I do agree the Cherokee nation should've been consulted first. Also, shaving themselves associated with a brand of car may be seen as offensive. I don't rightly know, I'm not of aboriginal/Native American heritage myself.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't see a problem with this myself, however, I do agree the Cherokee nation should've been consulted first. Also, shaving themselves associated with a brand of car may be seen as offensive. I don't rightly know, I'm not of aboriginal/Native American heritage myself.

Jeep Austurian does not have the same ring to it. :p
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:00 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:I have serious doubts that it is his culture. Having some Cherokee blood doesn't automatically mean that he was raised in the culture.

So if he was raised in his culture he would automatically be offended?

No, I'm saying that if he wasn't raised in the culture his proclamation of "I'm part Cherokee" carries no weight. Also, as I've said numerous times now, "it's culturally insensitive"=/="it's offensive".
• Call me Makki. •
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
My Political Compass

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't see a problem with this myself, however, I do agree the Cherokee nation should've been consulted first. Also, shaving themselves associated with a brand of car may be seen as offensive. I don't rightly know, I'm not of aboriginal/Native American heritage myself.

Because we are an environmentally friendly people who do not want to be associated with a gas guzzling SUV.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:

Jeep Austurian does not have the same ring to it. :p

Thank Khali for that. :p
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm

greed and death wrote:

Because we are an environmentally friendly people who do not want to be associated with a gas guzzling SUV.

What makes you assume it is a gas guzzler?

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 pm

greed and death wrote:

*shrug*
Slava Ukraini

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Because we are an environmentally friendly people who do not want to be associated with a gas guzzling SUV.

Because it is one...
It has a combined fuel economy rating of 20mpg.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:06 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:

Because it is one...

They have not released the fuel economy for the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, I even checked the US government's website at fueleconomy.gov

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Because it is one...

They have not released the fuel economy for the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, I even checked the US government's website at fueleconomy.gov

The numbers I provided are for the 2013 model.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:09 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Because it is one...

IIRC, the OP states that the Cherokee nation isn't offended. Am I correct?
Slava Ukraini

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:

The numbers I provided are for the 2013 model.

You must be using the Grand Cherokee which is a separate vehicle, the regular Cherokee is a new vehicle to be for the 2014 model year, and will not be in production till the fall.

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:12 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Because we are an environmentally friendly people who do not want to be associated with a gas guzzling SUV.

It is an SUV. The issue is not is it fuel efficient for an SUV, the issue is are SUVs fuel efficient.

Even the hybrid SUVs only get ~35mpg.
Native American tribes deserve vehicles that get over 50 mpg named after them.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

greed and death wrote:
New Maldorainia wrote:

It is an SUV. The issue is not is it fuel efficient for an SUV, the issue is are SUVs fuel efficient.

Even the hybrid SUVs only get ~35mpg.
Native American tribes deserve vehicles that get over 50 mpg named after them.

Other then a Prius, name a vehicle that gets that kind of fuel economy. Also it is not a true SUV, it is a crossover utility vehicle (CUV), as it is on a Fiat car platform, not the traditional truck platform of an SUV.

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Phocidaea » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Mushet wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:
... did... did... did you actually just use that phrase in a serious context, with the actual intent of getting a "privileged" person to feel bad about themselves?

Well, looks like Tumblr is the new Cicero.

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:The words I would give you for having said this are unfortunately not worth yet another ban.

Oh no, god forbid somebody reminds you of the privileges you have, what's so wrong with being told to check your privilege that it deserves a hostile response?

Because no one ever brings up "privilege" to be friendly, it's always an accusation that "You are [white/male/straight/cisgender/etc.] and therefore are an idiot with no right to talk about this". It's shitty rhetoric, too - "ad hominem", although I do believe Latin might be a tad imperialist for you. Everyone does it sometimes (hell, I probably am right here), but telling people to "check their privilege" is the pure, unadulterated, textbook-example form. It literally comes down to "You are ignorant and should not talk because X".

By the way, I really appreciate the ethnocentric segregationist prejudice in your signature links. Not hypocritical at all.
Last edited by Phocidaea on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
New Maldorainia wrote:

"It's culturally insensitive"=/="it's offensive"
The use of a First Nation name without their prior approval is culturally insensitive, this particular usage is not offensive.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The use of a First Nation name without their prior approval is culturally insensitive, this particular usage is not offensive.

Is the Cherokee nation angry at this: yes or no?
Slava Ukraini

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
New Maldorainia wrote:

They said that they should probably have been consulted, but otherwise had no comment according to their spokesman.

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:16 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:The numbers I provided are for the 2013 model.

You must be using the Grand Cherokee which is a separate vehicle, the regular Cherokee is a new vehicle to be for the 2014 model year, and will not be in production till the fall.

Eh... I don't know cars... I didn't realize there was a difference. :?
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:16 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

They said that they should probably have been consulted, but otherwise had no comment according to their spokesman.

Then there's no problem.
Slava Ukraini

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Phocidaea » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

You are probably the first person I've ever heard define "insensitive" and "offensive" separately - and insist so strongly that there is a difference. Please explain - it's quite confusing.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:17 pm

New Maldorainia wrote:

Eh... I don't know cars... I didn't realize there was a difference. :?

That is fine, just wanted to clear it up.

Zionist, deal with it.
No surprise

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:"It's culturally insensitive"=/="it's offensive"

Is the Cherokee nation angry at this: yes or no?

What part of "It's culturally insensitive"=/="it's offensive" do you not understand?
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General