NATION

PASSWORD

NYT: Jeep Cherokee, culturally insenstive??

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Jeep Cherokee name culturally insensitive?

Yes
9%
No
80%
Maybe
11%

Total votes : 237

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 am

Temujinn wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:The Dodge Swinger, now that was a great car name.

Dont worry its coming.

It already happened in the early 1970s. I wonder what the key fob you got with it looked like.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Temujinn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
Temujinn wrote:Dont worry its coming.

It already happened in the early 1970s. I wonder what the key fob you got with it looked like.

You dont know the song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYue6eZmlU
Last edited by Temujinn on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.
Conserative Morality wrote:Is accusing someone of being a WASP likely to damage their reputation?.... I openly admit that I use it disparagingly. Something about the mentality of the group referred to being rather contrary to American values.
Do you know someone who might be a White Protestant of English ancestry, report them to your block Sargeant CM, and he will drag them before the New House Committee on Un-American Activities. Report your neighbors.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 am

Temujinn wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:

You dont know the song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYue6eZmlU

lol no I have not come across that before.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote: :roll:
Are you seriously that clueless?

do you know where the word jeep came from?
how about durango?
car manufacturers have been naming them after anything they think sounds even remotely positive.
often without even checking to see what the word even means.

Other jeep brands
jeep honcho
jeep gladiator
jeep cowboy
jeep patriot
jeep kaiser
jeep pioneer
jeep golden eagle
jeep wagoner

It however would have been funnier if it had been Pontiac that used that name.

:palm:
"Ranger" isn't an ethnic group, "Cherokee" is.
Your argument here seems to be that since car companies have a history of cultural insensitivity, it's okay for them to be culturally insensitive.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Regardless of whether or not this is "culturally insensitive" (which, I suppose not thinking about what other people think kind of is), there's still no reason why we should actually give a shit how the Cherokee feel about their name being used by someone else. If they really care, they can copyright it.

Check your privilege.
• Call me Makki. •
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
My Political Compass

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Phocidaea » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Regardless of whether or not this is "culturally insensitive" (which, I suppose not thinking about what other people think kind of is), there's still no reason why we should actually give a shit how the Cherokee feel about their name being used by someone else. If they really care, they can copyright it.

Check your privilege.

... did... did... did you actually just use that phrase in a serious context, with the actual intent of getting a "privileged" person to feel bad about themselves?

Well, looks like Tumblr is the new Cicero.
Last edited by Phocidaea on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Check your privilege.

You should form a rap group, then you could write a song, "Straight Outta Tumblr".
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Check your privilege.

... did... did... did you actually just use that phrase in a serious context, with the actual intent of getting a "privileged" person to feel bad about themselves?

Check your priveledge, white cisgender straight male asshole sexist pig. :p
Last edited by Frisivisia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Phocidaea wrote:

... did... did... did you actually just use that phrase in a serious context, with the actual intent of getting a "privileged" person to feel bad about themselves?.

Oui, though I know it won't.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Check your privilege.

The words I would give you for having said this are unfortunately not worth yet another ban.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:42 pm

At least it's not as bad as the poor Qashqai, who were so obscure before the co-option by the automotive industry that they're now completely and irrevocably associated with a Nissan.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Phocidaea wrote:

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:

The words I would give you for having said this are unfortunately not worth yet another ban.

Oh no, god forbid somebody reminds you of the privileges you have, what's so wrong with being told to check your privilege that it deserves a hostile response?
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm

How is naming a car after a tribe culturally insensitive? They may be poor, but they have cars too. Is this a "It's insensitive to name cars after people who probably can't afford them!!" rant?
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Mushet wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:The words I would give you for having said this are unfortunately not worth yet another ban.

Oh no, god forbid somebody reminds you of the privileges you have, what's so wrong with being told to check your privilege that it deserves a hostile response?

Check your privilege, bro.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Well, here’s some: “We are really opposed to stereotypes,” said Amanda Clinton, a spokeswoman for the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma.

It's a car, people. Calm down.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Angleter wrote:At least it's not as bad as the poor Qashqai, who were so obscure before the co-option by the automotive industry that they're now completely and irrevocably associated with a Nissan.

At least some people will look up what the name means.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Check your privilege.

There's no privilege involved. As far as I know, no country, nation, or ethnicity as copyrighted their name. American isn't copyrighted.
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Temujinn wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:And the three top contenders for tribal warrior cultures have been taken already; Apache, Comanche, and the Huron.

Cheyenne.

Blackfoot, Sioux, Seminoles, you guys need to watch some cowboy movies. :p
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Dakini wrote:
greed and death wrote:Cherokee is the English name. Tsalagi is the transliteration of the Cherokee language name "ᏣᎳᎩ".
English has this habit that when a transliteration for a proper noun would be very difficult to impossible for a reader to pronouce just looking at it of adopting a name that is only tangentially related to the original.

It's not just English that does it, but yeah. Do you object to the use of Cherokee over Tsalagi?

Nope, and the official English name is Cherokee nation not Tsalagi nation.
See http://www.cherokee.org/
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:56 pm

As a part Cherokee, I'm not offended at all by this.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Mushet wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:The words I would give you for having said this are unfortunately not worth yet another ban.

Because then they might have to face the reality.

Geilinor wrote:How is naming a car after a tribe culturally insensitive? They may be poor, but they have cars too. Is this a "It's insensitive to name cars after people who probably can't afford them!!" rant?

Use of an ethnic groups name with out the group's permission. How are you not not getting that?

Geilinor wrote:

There's no privilege involved. As far as I know, no country, nation, or ethnicity as copyrighted their name. American isn't copyrighted.

You're Caucasian, aren't you?
Last edited by Algonquin Ascendancy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Mushet wrote:

Because then they might have to face the reality.

Geilinor wrote:How is naming a car after a tribe culturally insensitive? They may be poor, but they have cars too. Is this a "It's insensitive to name cars after people who probably can't afford them!!" rant?

Use of an ethnic groups name with out the group's permission. How are you not not getting that?

Geilinor wrote:There's no privilege involved. As far as I know, no country, nation, or ethnicity as copyrighted their name. American isn't copyrighted.

You're Caucasian, aren't you?

1. The context of the use isn't offensive. They are not using the name to mock or offend the Cherokee tribe. If it was being used that way, it would be insensitivity.
2. No, I'm Asian American(Indian-American to be exact). You don't hesitate to call people racist, do you?
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Bodobol wrote:As a part Cherokee, I'm not offended at all by this.

That isn't the question being asked.
The question asked was is it culturally insensitive, not is it offensive.

You say you're part Cherokee... Were you raised in the culture?
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Bodobol wrote:As a part Cherokee, I'm not offended at all by this.

That isn't the question being asked.
The question asked was is it culturally insensitive, not is it offensive.

You say you're part Cherokee... Were you raised in the culture?

He doesn't think it's insensitive to his culture.
Last edited by Geilinor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Geilinor wrote:1. The context of the use isn't offensive. They are not using the name to mock or offend the Cherokee tribe. If it was being used that way, it would be insensitivity.
2. No, I'm Asian American(Indian-American to be exact). You don't hesitate to call people racist, do you?

1: Culturally insensitive =/= offensive.
2: No, I don't hesitate to call people who say/do racist things as being racist.
Last edited by Algonquin Ascendancy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General