NATION

PASSWORD

Are we coming to death of Childhood street culture?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are children staying in doors rather then playing outside?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 102

Occeania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Are we coming to death of Childhood street culture?

Postby Occeania » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Lets face it, here in the US children are not getting outside for play. As a child my self I have seen this epidemic spreading. My freinds and I, we play outside on the weekends when ever we can but that does not seem to be true for the other people at school. The other kids don't talk about there games of baseball or basketball,they talk about videogames. It sickens me and my friends.

So what do you think NS, are we loosing the true sense of childhood amongst our kids?
Zimmerman is INNOCENT

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Your sample size is insufficient to draw any conclusions.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Occeania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Occeania » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Your sample size is insufficient to draw any conclusions.

I am just giving a example from my town and seeing what other people of NS think about what seems to be occurring to Americas young ones.
Zimmerman is INNOCENT

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Occeania wrote:Lets face it, here in the US children are not getting outside for play. As a child my self I have seen this epidemic spreading. My freinds and I, we play outside on the weekends when ever we can but that does not seem to be true for the other people at school. The other kids don't talk about there games of baseball or basketball,they talk about videogames. It sickens me and my friends.

So what? You prefer playing sports, therefore they're disgusting miscreants who barely qualify as real humans? Has it occurred to you that a person's choice of entertainment is almost always irrelevant?

Occeania wrote:So what do you think NS, are we loosing the true sense of childhood amongst our kids?

I think kids have access to better sorts of entertainment than sending a ball into a net.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Occeania wrote:Lets face it, here in the US children are not getting outside for play. As a child my self I have seen this epidemic spreading. My freinds and I, we play outside on the weekends when ever we can but that does not seem to be true for the other people at school. The other kids don't talk about there games of baseball or basketball,they talk about videogames. It sickens me and my friends.

So what do you think NS, are we loosing the true sense of childhood amongst our kids?

Most of the people that play sports at my school love their consoles, and...?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 pm

to many crazy people, keep the children inside.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Johto and Kanto
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Johto and Kanto » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 pm

About 90% of the people up until middle school in my neighbourhood are outside a lot, me included. So I think everything's fine.
I STILL need a new signature.

*insert link to witty post here*

Daemonicai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Daemonicai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Back in my ancestor's day, children wouldn't be wasting time kicking balls into nets and whatnot. They'd be having wonderful exercise and being productive members of society by working in the factories or coal mines. While my ancestor's friends and he would have talked about work and tricks of the trade, this generation would talk about the games of baseball or basketball. It would sicken my ancestor and his friends.
Last edited by Daemonicai on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name- The Ecumene
Head of Government- Consul Sargon Laskarys Panthaera
Homeworld- Drakonis
Demonym- Drakon/Drakonai
Government- Quasi-Democratic Feudal/Federal Aristocracy[/spoiler]

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 pm

I think you need to redefine what you find sickening.
But don't let me get in the way of the always reliable "I CAN'T DEAL WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S INFERIOR AND SUBHUMAN TASTES IN RECREATION" train.

Also, it's hilarious you chose to post this on NS. Shouldn't you be tossing this line of thought around a musty locker room or something?
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Ksclve
Envoy

Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ksclve » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 pm

It's still very strong in many parts of the world, but sooner or later it will die indeed. Who would want to "play" outside if you can game inside?
Last edited by Ksclve on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Istallar
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Istallar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 am

I'm afraid I was part of this problem. Playing outside... held no interest for me. Didn't much like sports, can't relax in nature, etc. My own dad told me I'm hopeless when it comes to hunting 'cause I can't stay still. I'm more at home... at home.
RPs that I'm currently participating in: Light Only Shines in the Dark (Magicpunk RP: IC / Open)

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 am

Good. Perhaps my descendants (assuming, of course, that they ever exist) will not wonder why life on the television is a poor reflection of the reality as the export of such ideas will have ceased, like I did.

That said, if there was evidence to suggest a widespread lack of participation in outdoor behaviour at school, then, yes, there would be a problem. However, it is my understanding that US schools have minimal outsides once students reach "middle school".
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:03 am

I don't know. My own childhood experience was too long ago to be relevant, and I don't have kids.

I will say though, that video games aren't as bad for children's health as watching television is. The latter suppresses metabolism below the level of sitting and doing literally nothing.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Ksclve
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ksclve » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 am

Istallar wrote:I'm afraid I was part of this problem. Playing outside... held no interest for me. Didn't much like sports, can't relax in nature, etc. My own dad told me I'm hopeless when it comes to hunting 'cause I can't stay still. I'm more at home... at home.

My parents forced me to go outside and socialize as a punishment.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 am

Ksclve wrote:It's still very strong in many parts of the world, but sooner or later it will die indeed. Who would want to "play" outside if you can game inside?

There is a huge difference between outside play and gaming; they are not really substitutes.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ksclve
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ksclve » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 am

Forsher wrote:
Ksclve wrote:It's still very strong in many parts of the world, but sooner or later it will die indeed. Who would want to "play" outside if you can game inside?

There is a huge difference between outside play and gaming; they are not really substitutes.

There isn't. Kids do both to have fun, and therefore they are the same.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 am

I used to play outside whenever I could. Though I didn't really have many video games.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Horizont
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Horizont » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:10 am

It's also that parents are increasingly paranoid for their children.

I believe we are, and it's sickening. I mean, look at how life was in the 1980s. Children were out playing on the street. And there were no problems.

I think it's paranoia, a very much 21st century thing.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 am

Horizont wrote:It's also that parents are increasingly paranoid for their children.

I believe we are, and it's sickening. I mean, look at how life was in the 1980s. Children were out playing on the street. And there were no problems.

Heh.
Aheheheheh.
Yeah, no kid ever died of anything in the 80s (or indeed, even got hurt), they were bulletproof, abuse-proof, poison-proof, and kidnapper-proof.
Horizont wrote:I think it's paranoia, a very much 21st century thing.

Paranoia was invented in 2002 by the Bush administration.
Before that, there was no such thing. Ever. Nobody was ever paranoid or overly concerned about anything, ever.
Realtalk.

How old are you? 14 or so? I daresay you never even approached living in the 80s.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:17 am

Ksclve wrote:
Forsher wrote:

There isn't. Kids do both to have fun, and therefore they are the same.

That's like saying that fake cheese is real cheese because it tastes like real cheese.
Last edited by Forsher on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:24 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Paranoia was invented in 2002 by the Bush administration.
Before that, there was no such thing. Ever. Nobody was ever paranoid or overly concerned about anything, ever.

I hear they invented paranoia so they could plant mindbugs in our brains for the sake of "security." Nice try, feds.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:25 am

Lifestyles change, cultures change.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Umbra Ac Silentium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Capitalizt

Postby Umbra Ac Silentium » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:32 am

Bleh, nature is gross anyways. It's a good thing to get away from.

Economic Left/Right: -0.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.97
Other Compass
The Holy Therns wrote:Your thought pattern is so bizarre I can't even be offended anymore.

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 am

I vote children be forced to play imaginatively in rubbish tips. Also they should be caned. And they should just eat gruel. And something to do with mining.

*bangs walking stick on the floor*

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 am

Tlik wrote:I vote children be forced to play imaginatively in rubbish tips. Also they should be caned. And they should just eat gruel. And something to do with mining.

*bangs walking stick on the floor*

KIDS THESE DAYS DO NOT BREATHE IN ENOUGH COAL DUST, NOR DO THEY CONSUME ENOUGH WATERBORNE TOXINS
THIS IS WHY THERE ARE SO MANY HOMOSEXUALS AND NIGHT-STABBERS IN OUR MODERN SOCIETY
DISCUSS

all caps because I am an old man who is hard-of-hearing, of course
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General