NATION

PASSWORD

Noah's Ark: The Flawed Literalist Interpretation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the account of the Global Flood a myth?

Yes, it is completely false and I can't believe anyone could possibly believe it happened.
63%
Maybe, but I do agree with some of your points.
8%
No, the Global Flood did happen, and it was perfectly possible for it to happen.
15%
OP is a hermaphroditic species capable of autogamy.
5%
I haven't read the OP, nor do I intend to; instead, I'm going to post several wholly ignorant comments, be destroyed in an "argument", claim a tie and then spend the rest of the thread telling people to go to bed.
9%

Total votes : 249

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
The Joseon Dynasty wrote:But the flood was brought on by God, so He conjured up all the conditions necessary for it to happen, no? People might believe it literally happened, but they believe it literally happened within the context of there existing an omnipotent deity that can just do whatever He wants.

Trying to debunk it this way is rather futile, I'd think.

You mean the "conditions" of fitting 17.4 million animals in a 135 metre ark? Statistically impossible, and illogical considering the story. Why did God specify the dimensions of an ark that was far too small?

Obviously Noah's ark bend space and time and was powered by a yet unknown propulsion method(Writer's simply lacked the words to describe it at the time), also instead of physically containing every animal on the planet they/he merely collected tissue samples.

Once the flood was over he would "grow" animals from these tissues.

Now as for the water and the plant life... well... that is tricky...

*nods*
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:You mean the "conditions" of fitting 17.4 million animals in a 135 metre ark? Statistically impossible, and illogical considering the story. Why did God specify the dimensions of an ark that was far too small?

In 600AD, There were not that many species known. Remember the bible was written fourteen hundred years ago.

Uh, it wasn't. Even the New Testament wasn't written that late.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 am

Volnotova wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:You mean the "conditions" of fitting 17.4 million animals in a 135 metre ark? Statistically impossible, and illogical considering the story. Why did God specify the dimensions of an ark that was far too small?

Obviously Noah's ark bend space and time and was powered by a yet unknown propulsion method(Writer's simply lacked the words to describe it at the time), also instead of physically containing every animal on the planet they/he merely collected tissue samples.

Once the flood was over he would "grow" animals from these tissues.

Now as for the water and the plant life... well... that is tricky...

*nods*

Perhaps we've accidentally proved the existence of the Forerunners from the Haloverse, and their hand in shaping planetary development after defeating The Flood?
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:49 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:In 600AD, There were not that many species known. Remember the bible was written fourteen hundred years ago.

Uh, it wasn't. Even the New Testament wasn't written that late.

Well there you go then, it's from an era with even fewer species known.
Which also puts it in the same era where people thought that giraffes were the offspring of leopards and camels. And the same for other "strange" creatures in the animal kingdom.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:50 am

It was just a metaphor. Not everything in the bible was 100% literal.
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 am

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:But the flood was brought on by God, so He conjured up all the conditions necessary for it to happen, no? People might believe it literally happened, but they believe it literally happened within the context of there existing an omnipotent deity that can just do whatever He wants.

Trying to debunk it this way is rather futile, I'd think.

You mean the "conditions" of fitting 17.4 million animals in a 135 metre ark? Statistically impossible, and illogical considering the story. Why did God specify the dimensions of an ark that was far too small?

The Bible conveniently neglects to define what a "living thing" is. You've interpreted it to mean all the individual species on the planet. Could mean a sample of genetically distinct creatures. Or the ark could be like a magical fucking Tardis. It's a Biblical story and it happened because God set it up to happen. That's the flaw of arguing against it this way. You're assuming that it couldn't happen because it's not logistically feasible, but keep in mind that God consistently shits on logistics throughout the Biblical narrative, and it happening is predicated on God existing.

That's just the way of it.
Last edited by The Joseon Dynasty on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Uh, it wasn't. Even the New Testament wasn't written that late.

Well there you go then, it's from an era with even fewer species known.
Which also puts it in the same era where people thought that giraffes were the offspring of leopards and camels. And the same for other "strange" creatures in the animal kingdom.

That's part of my point. You can't collect species you don't know exist.

It's simply more evidence that the Bible was written by a fallible author and not inspired by God.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 am

Gallup wrote:It was just a metaphor. Not everything in the bible was 100% literal.

Clearly 61% of Americans disagree.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 am

Gallup wrote:It was just a metaphor. Not everything in the bible was 100% literal.

That argument again?

"The Bible is the word of god and The Truth™! However, parts that would be too logically inconsistent or "embarassing" to be true are simply to be interpreted "methaphorically"."

Haha.

No.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 am

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:

The Bible conveniently neglects to define what a "living thing" is. You've interpreted it to mean all the individual species on the planet. Could mean a sample of genetically distinct creatures. Or the ark could be like a magical fucking Tardis. It's a Biblical story and it happened because God set it up to happen. That's the flaw of arguing against it this way. You're assuming that it couldn't happen because it's not logistically feasible, but keep in mind that God consistently shits on logistics throughout the Biblical narrative.

"Omnipotence" is an illogical concept in of itself, and whoever uses the "God is perfect, all-powerful" argument clearly can't understand rational thinking.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:56 am

Volnotova wrote:

That argument again?

"The Bible is the word of god and The Truth™! However, parts that would be too logically inconsistent or "embarassing" to be true are simply to be interpreted "methaphorically"."

Haha.

No.

Indeed. What was it even a metaphor for?
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:58 am

For being a metaphor, they wrote it in an awfully literal manner. In both testaments, Noah is presented as a real person (see: Luke 3:35). Dimensions and instructions for the Ark are precise, despite being unrealistic when you take into account our current knowledge. The whole section about the Ark is described in the first sentence as an account -- a real account, not a story.

Methinks it was written as literal, and people just slap "metaphor" on anything in the Bible which is obviously false.

The Bible nowadays is said to have a lot more metaphors than in the past.
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Well there you go then, it's from an era with even fewer species known.

That's part of my point. You can't collect species you don't know exist.

It's simply more evidence that the Bible was written by a fallible author and not inspired by God.

In the logic of the day, you could save half the "exotic" species of the world by saving a male of one species and a female of another.
The whole thing is so "logically flawed" and as mentioned, predicates the existence of a God, that trying top deconstruct it is pointless.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:00 am

Tsuntion wrote:

For being a metaphor, they wrote it in an awfully literal manner. In both testaments, Noah is presented as a real person (see: Luke 3:35). Dimensions and instructions for the Ark are precise, despite being unrealistic when you take into account our current knowledge. The whole section about the Ark is described in the first sentence as an account -- a real account, not a story.

Methinks it was written as literal, and people just slap "metaphor" on anything in the Bible which is obviously false.

The Bible nowadays is said to have a lot more metaphors than in the past.

Well what do you expect of the monks and nuns during the medieval ages to do?

actually think outside the box for once on biblical issues?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:00 am

Clearly 61% of Americans disagree.

Key word - Americans.
On religion.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:03 am

The Bible conveniently neglects to define what a "living thing" is. You've interpreted it to mean all the individual species on the planet. Could mean a sample of genetically distinct creatures. Or the ark could be like a magical fucking Tardis. It's a Biblical story and it happened because God set it up to happen. That's the flaw of arguing against it this way. You're assuming that it couldn't happen because it's not logistically feasible, but keep in mind that God consistently shits on logistics throughout the Biblical narrative.

"Omnipotence" is an illogical concept in of itself, and whoever uses the "God is perfect, all-powerful" argument clearly can't understand rational thinking.

And that's your target audience.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:03 am

Benuty wrote:Symbolism of Noahs Ark is mere symbolism what is so hard to get?

Why don't you ask the 61% of Americans who take it literally?

I also doubt the accuracy of the poll, tbh.

In any case, long OP is long. Therefore, it is wrong.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:04 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Why don't you ask the 61% of Americans who take it literally?

We need statistics from 2013, which might provide valuable info. However what would the Nixonites do?
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:06 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:Clearly 61% of Americans disagree.

Key word - Americans.
On religion.

I'd put it down to being uninformed rather than due to blind faith. It's not hard to accept the story of Noah's Ark if you haven't bothered to understand the logic (or lack thereof) of it.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:07 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:"Omnipotence" is an illogical concept in of itself, and whoever uses the "God is perfect, all-powerful" argument clearly can't understand rational thinking.

Stop destroying my faith in humanity.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:07 am

Benuty wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:

We need statistics from 2013, which might provide valuable info. However what would the Nixonites do?

Not only that, but it's one poll. When we have presidential elections we use dozens, each with their own methods, to gauge how the nation is feeling about a certain candidate compared to another. Why do we seriously think one or two polls from a decade ago on something like this will suffice?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:08 am

rats
now that I have looked at the OP I realize I chose the wrong option in the poll.

tl;dr;dnntr
whatever

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 am

Stop destroying my faith in humanity.

Pessimissm Fuck Yeah!.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 am

Ashmoria wrote:rats
now that I have looked at the OP I realize I chose the wrong option in the poll.

tl;dr;dnntr

dnntr?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Key word - Americans.
On religion.

I'd put it down to being uninformed rather than due to blind faith. It's not hard to accept the story of Noah's Ark if you haven't bothered to understand the logic (or lack thereof) of it.

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:In the logic of the day, you could save half the "exotic" species of the world by saving a male of one unrelated species and a female of a third.
The whole thing is so "logically flawed" and as mentioned, predicates the existence of a God, that trying to deconstruct it in this way is pointless.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General