NATION

PASSWORD

Ad hominems and NSG

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote: :hug: Any opinion on whether some of the ad homs of choice are gender based though?

I don't doubt some ad-homs are gender based, but I chalk it up to usual internet asshattery.

A lot of it is internet asshattery, but I'm thinking that for some reason, being female means you can be open to attack regarding your fuckability or whatever.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Orcoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4455
Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Orcoa wrote:I always had a thought that behind that nice, almost midwestern face that you have on this website....

You are in fact Darkseid

Image


Aw drat, I got found out. :p

SO IT IS TRUE!!!!!!

HAIL DARKSEID!!!
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31607
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

New haven america wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Female (but you knew that) and the worst things I have been called have NOT been on the forums -- they've been in my mod e-mail.

I particularly enjoyed the ones from a person half a world away who started out calling me a bitch and then repeatedly sending messages about how he would rape and murder me.

Sound's fun. XP

Loads.

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Forsher wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:It causes cancer. Boohoohoo. I don't give a fuck. You can't ban everything because someone might hurt themselves. What kind of nanny state are you talking about? A world without beer or cigarettes is one I would hate.

The fundamental difference between alcohol and tobacco is that the latter is necessarily harmful to other people. The general rule is that people have rights insofar as they do not infringe on other people's rights.

Not the thread for this debate Forsher.

Scorpions on the moon wrote:An ad hominem is not necessarily an insult. It is an argument based on the personality of the person you are debating in order to establish a conclusion. For instance, you are a bitch, therefore gay marriage should not be legal. Calling somebody a bitch on its own is not an ad hominem. It's just verbal abuse.

Considering that in the context it was trying to conclude that my viewpoints were invalid, they were adhoms.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 67399
Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:
Aw drat, I got found out. :p

SO IT IS TRUE!!!!!!

HAIL DARKSEID!!!


Woot. 8)

Individuality-ness wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:I don't doubt some ad-homs are gender based, but I chalk it up to usual internet asshattery.

A lot of it is internet asshattery, but I'm thinking that for some reason, being female means you can be open to attack regarding your fuckability or whatever.


I'd reckon it's because some males still like to think that they rule the roost, and/or are sexist/chauvinistic asswipes.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.


Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

User avatar
Scorpions on the moon
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 444
Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scorpions on the moon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:Considering that in the context it was trying to conclude that my viewpoints were invalid, they were adhoms.


I wasn't referring to you in particular. I'm just speaking to what appears to be a very common misnomer. Also, it doesn't seem like they were trying to prove you wrong. It just looks like they were trying to hurt your feelings. Nobody thinks ''I made a picture of her with cum on her face, ergo, her ideas are wrong''. They're thinking ''This is totally going to hurt her feelings''.

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16561
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Forsher wrote:The fundamental difference between alcohol and tobacco is that the latter is necessarily harmful to other people. The general rule is that people have rights insofar as they do not infringe on other people's rights.

Not the thread for this debate Forsher.


It was meant to be a quick aside but I forgot I hadn't found another post yet to respond to on topic and hit submit accidentally. So, I went back and edited your last reply to me in but, obviously, I couldn't type fast enough.

Individuality-ness wrote:
Scorpions on the moon wrote:An ad hominem is not necessarily an insult. It is an argument based on the personality of the person you are debating in order to establish a conclusion. For instance, you are a bitch, therefore gay marriage should not be legal. Calling somebody a bitch on its own is not an ad hominem. It's just verbal abuse.

Considering that in the context it was trying to conclude that my viewpoints were invalid, they were adhoms.


I'm not sure if it's still an ad-hom if the purpose of the personal commentary is to avoid responding to the core of the argument rather than concluding the argument is wrong. Because my example is more this than the latter.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

User avatar
The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58005
Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Katganistan wrote:
New haven america wrote:Sound's fun. XP

Loads.

More like a load of pain given how some of these people act.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Scorpions on the moon wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Considering that in the context it was trying to conclude that my viewpoints were invalid, they were adhoms.

I wasn't referring to you in particular. I'm just speaking to what appears to be a very common misnomer. Also, it doesn't seem like they were trying to prove you wrong. It just looks like they were trying to hurt your feelings. Nobody thinks ''I made a picture of her with cum on her face, ergo, her ideas are wrong''. They're thinking ''This is totally going to hurt her feelings''.

Well yeah, that one wasn't an adhom. But most of the others were.

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:A lot of it is internet asshattery, but I'm thinking that for some reason, being female means you can be open to attack regarding your fuckability or whatever.

I'd reckon it's because some males still like to think that they rule the roost, and/or are sexist/chauvinistic asswipes.

It's not just males. Women do this to each other too. See: my example regarding Ayn Rand.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10147
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:56 pm

I'm kind of happy that I can't remember any of the ad-hominems that actually hurt. The ones I can remember were either true enough to not be taken as an insult ("Liberal!" "Um... yes... very good...") or so far off the mark as to be more confusing than insulting ("Bantha poodoo!" "? :eyebrow: ?".
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22386
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:I'm kind of happy that I can't remember any of the ad-hominems that actually hurt. The ones I can remember were either true enough to not be taken as an insult ("Liberal!" "Um... yes... very good...") or so far off the mark as to be more confusing than insulting ("Bantha poodoo!" "? :eyebrow: ?".

Did you ever get involved with Karinzistan, while he was around? I was called a "poophead." :lol:

Individuality-ness knows what I'm talking about.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Brocwika
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1362
Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Someone called me a niggerfaggot once.

But i've heard worse from 4chan.
Vintery, Mintery, Cuttery, Corn
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
One flew east, one flew west...
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

My Website (it's not finished but check it out)

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Forsher wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Not the thread for this debate Forsher.

It was meant to be a quick aside but I forgot I hadn't found another post yet to respond to on topic and hit submit accidentally. So, I went back and edited your last reply to me in but, obviously, I couldn't type fast enough.

Individuality-ness wrote:Considering that in the context it was trying to conclude that my viewpoints were invalid, they were adhoms.

I'm not sure if it's still an ad-hom if the purpose of the personal commentary is to avoid responding to the core of the argument rather than concluding the argument is wrong. Because my example is more this than the latter.

It's fine, just reminding people to not threadjack my thread.

I think someone actually tried to ask about what my sexual orientation was. I asked them why, and they said something along the lines of "well, if you like x gender, then you yourself are sexist, ergo your opinion is invalid and you should shut up you hypocrite".
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 67399
Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:59 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:I'd reckon it's because some males still like to think that they rule the roost, and/or are sexist/chauvinistic asswipes.

It's not just males. Women do this to each other too. See: my example regarding Ayn Rand.


Hmmm... I'm at a loss for that, except it shows women are capable of saying things as douchey as guys are.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.


Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15149
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Herrebrugh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:59 pm

I can't really remember any... Except for being called something that had to do with my sexuality... Not sure what exactly, though.

I usually try to get the most amount of fun out of these things by just playing along.
Geteekendt, Jozef III, bij den gratiën Godts, Koningh der Herrebrugheylanden ende Prins van Rheda
Unterzeichnet, Joſeph III., von Gottes Gnaden König der Herrenbrückinſeln und Prinz von Rheda

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------Factbook------------------------------------
-------------Kingdom of the---------------------Herrebrugh Iſlands----------

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I'm kind of happy that I can't remember any of the ad-hominems that actually hurt. The ones I can remember were either true enough to not be taken as an insult ("Liberal!" "Um... yes... very good...") or so far off the mark as to be more confusing than insulting ("Bantha poodoo!" "? :eyebrow: ?".

Did you ever get involved with Karinzistan, while he was around? I was called a "poophead." :lol:

Individuality-ness knows what I'm talking about.

I remember that, actually, heh. I think we discussed warnings and records too. :P

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:It's not just males. Women do this to each other too. See: my example regarding Ayn Rand.

Hmmm... I'm at a loss for that, except it shows women are capable of saying things as douchey as guys are.

Well yeah, everyone is. I think the hint from that is that we've been taught to revile women with attacks on their sexuality/gender ID if they step out of line and start speaking up. It's mostly the men who make the rape/death threats though, from what I remember.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16561
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Forsher wrote:It was meant to be a quick aside but I forgot I hadn't found another post yet to respond to on topic and hit submit accidentally. So, I went back and edited your last reply to me in but, obviously, I couldn't type fast enough.


I'm not sure if it's still an ad-hom if the purpose of the personal commentary is to avoid responding to the core of the argument rather than concluding the argument is wrong. Because my example is more this than the latter.

It's fine, just reminding people to not threadjack my thread.

I think someone actually tried to ask about what my sexual orientation was. I asked them why, and they said something along the lines of "well, if you like x gender, then you yourself are sexist, ergo your opinion is invalid and you should shut up you hypocrite".


There are only a few times where someone's sexuality and gender make a difference towards their opinion. For example the Straight White Male default thread, it was sort of relevant when we were comparing the nature of the default characters in our own works to look at the idea more personally.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22386
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Did you ever get involved with Karinzistan, while he was around? I was called a "poophead." :lol:

Individuality-ness knows what I'm talking about.

I remember that, actually, heh. I think we discussed warnings and records too. :P

That was, quite literally, one of the best times I've had on an NSG thread. So much fun. We trolled the troll... or, more like just let him spout shit until the mods came and shut him down.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Forsher wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:It's fine, just reminding people to not threadjack my thread.

I think someone actually tried to ask about what my sexual orientation was. I asked them why, and they said something along the lines of "well, if you like x gender, then you yourself are sexist, ergo your opinion is invalid and you should shut up you hypocrite".

There are only a few times where someone's sexuality and gender make a difference towards their opinion. For example the Straight White Male default thread, it was sort of relevant when we were comparing the nature of the default characters in our own works to look at the idea more personally.

I remember that. That was a fruitful discussion.

The thread in question was a gender-neutrality thread, and the reason it was brought up was because I stated that I'd rather be called an actor than an actress and that telling someone that only men can be called actors and women actresses is sexist.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:I remember that, actually, heh. I think we discussed warnings and records too. :P

That was, quite literally, one of the best times I've had on an NSG thread. So much fun. We trolled the troll... or, more like just let him spout shit until the mods came and shut him down.

It was still good even when it was in F7. The first one was just hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing at the trainwreck.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40355
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 pm

I've only ever really had the problem of people creating ridiculous strawmen of things I've posted and then going "therefore you are an x" where x is whatever scareword is appropriate to the conversation - statist shill, fascist, commie etc.

Pure ad hominems aren't something I ever really remember encountering. Maybe it's because my gender confuses people.
Tʜᴇ Sᴛʀᴀssᴇʀɪsᴛ Sᴜɴᴅᴀᴇ Cʟᴜʙ ᴏғ Dᴜᴍʙ Iᴅᴇᴏʟᴏɢɪᴇs
¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸ If it's too sweet we can add some salt ¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸
The thirty-something tsundere trans cryptofascist nobody warned you about
♆ P ᴀ x D I ᴀ ʙ ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴄ ᴀ ♆

User avatar
Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10147
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I'm kind of happy that I can't remember any of the ad-hominems that actually hurt. The ones I can remember were either true enough to not be taken as an insult ("Liberal!" "Um... yes... very good...") or so far off the mark as to be more confusing than insulting ("Bantha poodoo!" "? :eyebrow: ?".

Did you ever get involved with Karinzistan, while he was around? I was called a "poophead." :lol:

Individuality-ness knows what I'm talking about.

Was that the REVOLUTION! guy? I think he liked me... or maybe I just had too much fun and twisted that into "he liked me".
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

User avatar
Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21112
Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Most of the ad hominems that people throw at me are related to my alleged Nazism. I've been told on multiple occasions that I am going to go to hell for being a Nazi.

I've also gotten some disturbing antisemitic flak from neo-Nazis when they realized that I was making fun of them. One guy posted a picture of emaciated prisoners in Buchenwald Concentration Camp and said, "This shows that your people survived the Holocaust quite well." Even though I am not Jewish, I still found it to be one of the most insulting things anyone has ever said to me on NSG. Another Nazi guy (also under the mistaken impression that I was Jewish) went on a rant about how it must be hard being a woman AND a Jew because women are weak and Jews are just shit.

I'm female, but it sometimes takes people a while to figure that out since Nazi nations are usually teenage boys.

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Did you ever get involved with Karinzistan, while he was around? I was called a "poophead." :lol:

Individuality-ness knows what I'm talking about.

Was that the REVOLUTION! guy? I think he liked me... or maybe I just had too much fun and twisted that into "he liked me".

Kari's the revolution guy from last year yes.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10147
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:I've only ever really had the problem of people creating ridiculous strawmen of things I've posted and then going "therefore you are an x" where x is whatever scareword is appropriate to the conversation - statist shill, fascist, commie etc.

Pure ad hominems aren't something I ever really remember encountering. Maybe it's because my gender confuses people.

Cold water = girl - hot water = guy. Really don't understand where the confusion comes from.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bluelight-R006, Eahland, Estanglia, GrarG, Kettering Town, Lower Nubia, Yanitza

Advertisement

Remove ads