NATION

PASSWORD

Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:OP, could you stop being incoherent for 5 seconds and help me out here?

I don't understand your objections to this.

Are you not an atheist if you don't like other religions?

What DO you believe, OP?

My beliefs is science-creationism. I believe at the moment of the big bang, a god or deity was born. The deity built the first building blocks of galaxies, stars, planets, moons and of course life and BAM! Everything goes automatic like the biggest contraption to exist. Yes, a deity is involved, but there is a lot of science after that.

That is why I believe in.

No churches, no worships, no gospel.
No ridiculing, no stubbornness, and no atheism.

That's really all.

So, you're NOT OK when other people espouse their beliefs, but you're OK when you do it?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:43 am

The Rich Port wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:My beliefs is science-creationism. I believe at the moment of the big bang, a god or deity was born. The deity built the first building blocks of galaxies, stars, planets, moons and of course life and BAM! Everything goes automatic like the biggest contraption to exist. Yes, a deity is involved, but there is a lot of science after that.

That's really all.

So, you're NOT OK when other people espouse their beliefs, but you're OK when you do it?

Evangelism 101

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am

Considering that some of the more... devout... families in countries like the US would feel very strongly about their children being possibly atheist, homosexual, etc., I can see how this would be useful.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:So, you're NOT OK when other people espouse their beliefs, but you're OK when you do it?

Evangelism 101

Or just vulgar hypocrisy. The two are very much alike.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 am

Vareiln wrote:Considering that some of the more... devout... families in countries like the US would feel very strongly about their children being possibly atheist, homosexual, etc., I can see how this would be useful.

yeah, I mean, cigarette companies have done similar things for years.

The Sector Union
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 am

The Rich Port wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:My beliefs is science-creationism. I believe at the moment of the big bang, a god or deity was born. The deity built the first building blocks of galaxies, stars, planets, moons and of course life and BAM! Everything goes automatic like the biggest contraption to exist. Yes, a deity is involved, but there is a lot of science after that.

That's really all.

The problem is,

Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Atheism are going to be causing another war soon. If they aren't all eliminated by then, there can be no peace.
Purge the Xeno! For the Homo Sapien, For the Imperium of Terra!!!!

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good." -Sun Tzu

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Not before handing out ample redtext across the board like Christmas candy. *smiles more evilly*

With that being said... hey guys any of you here about that new Quantic Dream game Beyond Two Souls coming out it looks fucking awesome!!!

No one... seriously... that game looks amazing. Better than the Last of Us even. Maybe even better than Heavy Rain which is seriously saying something.
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

Vareiln wrote:Considering that some of the more... devout... families in countries like the US would feel very strongly about their children being possibly atheist, homosexual, etc., I can see how this would be useful.

yeah, I mean, cigarette companies have done similar things for years.

Ummm... How is that at all relevant to what I was saying?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The problem is,

Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Atheism are going to be causing another war soon. If they aren't all eliminated by then, there can be no peace.

Yea, I remember when Sweden declared war on Norway and Finland in order to create the 2nd Kalmar Union based on atheistic purposes. This, of course, led to World War 3.

Wait. Nope.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The problem is,

Peace is a natural fallacy.

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am

Aeribis wrote:While I do believe that there needs to be a helpful hotline for people having doubts, I do believe that it shouldn't be a biased party. And, yes, Athiests are biased, as are religious folks. There should be a third person party that is completely unbiased to talk to these people, and lead them to their own conclusions about it.

... What views do you suggest that the third party hold?

The hotline does not intend to push people towards atheism; it intends to let them explore doubts, talk to someone non-judgmental, and perhaps put them in touch with local groups of atheists or theists who might be able to help. And so on.

The Sector Union wrote:
Tsuntion wrote:
Lots of people. When you have a very religious upbringing, dealing with doubts about your religion can be incredibly hard and painful and confusing and scary. Trust me on this.

Your whole world is religious; there is nobody neutral you can talk to, nobody who will listen and not condemn you for doubting, nobody who will help you come to your own conclusions about religion rather than forcing their conclusions onto you.

You've never heard that it's okay to be an atheist -- why, to even think of thinking of beginning to get out of religion is wrong and bad and sinful and you are a horrible person for considering it.

You fear being shunned by friends and family if they find out you've got doubts.

You might not believe in Hell any more, but you still think you're going there for asking questions, because that's what's been drummed into your head all your life.

A period of questioning your religion can feel like your world is falling apart. Sometimes, someone whose world is falling apart needs a hotline. I think that's understandable. Talking to someone else about questioning or losing your faith can help you find new perspectives, prod your beliefs deeper, and work through your doubts and questions and confusions. Not everybody needs this, but some do, and it should be available to those people. It's not bad or unnecessary or silly.

How?

The hotline is very specifically not aimed at deconverting people.

It's a great initiative; I wish someone had made it earlier; I expect it will help many people; I would like to donate or help out in another way; when is it coming to my country?

They are deconverting people. The fact that they ask for people who are having doubt is an easy initiative to lure them into atheism.

The main part of my post was in answer to why doubters might need a hotline. Way to ignore it.

Anyway, that's like saying that the Samaritans asking for people who want to kill themselves is an easy way to knock off a few teenagers. Or that Childline asking for abused kids to call in is to berate them further and convince them they deserve it. Or that the Trevor Project asking for LGBT youth is because it's run by perverts who want hookups with insecure teens.

They want to help people, and the specific group they want to help are doubters. Doubters sometimes need help, so it's good that Recovering from Religion is reaching out to them.

Many of these people will probably become atheists, yes. A good number also probably won't. The Hotline Project aims to help people figure out their doubts and come to their own conclusions, theistic or atheistic, which is something that few people do. It aims to give people practical help and set them up with real networks, religious or irreligious. It does not aim to deconvert them.
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Pillea
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pillea » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The problem is,

No you're right, the only sensible thing to do is to ban all religion that doesn't see Earth as a sentient floating rock that actively fights against those who harm it.
Trans*, polyamorous, atheist, vegan, pro-choice, pro-animal rights, pro-science, anti-rape culture, lesbian, feminist, far left wing

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am

Vareiln wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:yeah, I mean, cigarette companies have done similar things for years.

Ummm... How is that at all relevant to what I was saying?

Oh just postulating on the side effects of undercutting parental influence.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am

Divair wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:
The problem is,

Yea, I remember when Sweden declared war on Norway and Finland in order to create the 2nd Kalmar Union based on atheistic purposes. This, of course, led to World War 3.

Wait. Nope.

So it's still too early to roar "LET THE KILLING BEGIN!"? I'll inform the others.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Aequalitia
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aequalitia » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Aequalitia wrote:Serious, I begin to see more and more that atheism today is more a religion then the pure, non-religious believing.

I don't honestly see why that would be a bad thing.

Am I missing something?

And - isn't it what the theists have been claiming, anyway, for years?

Aequalitia wrote:Hotlines, blaming all bad things to religion, saying that the world is better if there was only atheism on it...

I'm an atheist. I'm pro-religion. Generalisations are rarely helpful.

Aequalitia wrote:Yep, atheism today is more like any other religion today.

That... seems unlikely. You're going to have to explain that one.

Well, first of all. I see a lot of people with the 'new atheist' view that there serious see religion as something bad, and atheism is the solution for everything. There see atheism as something great, awesome with meet-ups, minutes of discussion about things as religion, and will spread the word of atheism towards the world.

This hotline makes it closer towards the step that atheism not become atheism anymore it was. Maybe in the USA, atheism is not really super-accepted. But I don't see a point to have a hotline for it in Europe.

Look, I got no problem with atheists or theists, but it don't must become too fundamental.
This world got so much cliches, so much pretty cliches <3

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am

Pillea wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:
The problem is,

No you're right, the only sensible thing to do is to ban all religion that doesn't see Earth as a sentient floating rock that actively fights against those who harm it.

Hippies are a religion now?

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The problem is,

Yeah, no thanks, I think I will be keeping my religion.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The problem is,

You mean Christianity, Juadism, and Islam. Atheists in the world are miniscule in number. I doubt they'd be involved in this alleged religious war.

And, yes, while religion is a main source of conflict, it's not the ONLY one. There are many things keeping this alleged WWIII on hold.

You're making assumptions. And being a hypocrite.

What's to say what YOU believe won't cause WWIII?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am

Wow.

You really are incapable of starting a thread that isn't utter shit.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:With that being said... hey guys any of you here about that new Quantic Dream game Beyond Two Souls coming out it looks fucking awesome!!!

No one... seriously... that game looks amazing. Better than the Last of Us even. Maybe even better than Heavy Rain which is seriously saying something.

Well... I did my best. Good day to all *tips hat*
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am

Divair wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:GET A BLOG.

Or don't. Just stop posting stuff on the internet.

Again, it's kinda sad I'm saying "this" while quoting Divair's post, but THIS.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am

Pillea wrote:No you're right, the only sensible thing to do is to ban all religion that doesn't see Earth as a sentient floating rock that actively fights against those who harm it.

Hippies are a religion now?

Don't be daft. Hippies make way more sense than our friend The Sector Union.

The Sector Union
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am

Pillea wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:
The problem is,

No no no. You misunderstood me. It doesn't matter what you believe in. The fact that these beliefs are organized is the problem. Religious churches, atheist organizations need to be gone. It's not the belief, it's the collective.
Purge the Xeno! For the Homo Sapien, For the Imperium of Terra!!!!

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good." -Sun Tzu

Of the Free Socialist Territories
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Of the Free Socialist Territories » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The problem is,

Just to let you know, "militant atheists" don't throw pipe bombs at clinics or shoot the leaders of their own country in the head for brokering peace or fly aircraft into skyscrapers or anything like that.

That might be the misconception whence this tired shite came.

And fundies of all stripes are a minority.
Don't be deceived when our Revolution has finally been stamped out and they tell you things are better now even if there's no poverty to see, because the poverty's been hidden...even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which these new industries foist on you, and even if it seems to you that "you never had so much" - that is only the slogan of those who have much more than you.

Marat, "Marat/Sade"

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:No one... seriously... that game looks amazing. Better than the Last of Us even. Maybe even better than Heavy Rain which is seriously saying something.

Well... I did my best. Good day to all *tips hat*

Here's the problem I had with heavy rain, it has virtually no replayability. Although there were a myriad of paths to take, they all basically lead to the same place. Some of the details changed, but that's it.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General