NATION

PASSWORD

Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aeribis
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeribis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 am

While I do believe that there needs to be a helpful hotline for people having doubts, I do believe that it shouldn't be a biased party. And, yes, Athiests are biased, as are religious folks. There should be a third person party that is completely unbiased to talk to these people, and lead them to their own conclusions about it.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Benuty wrote:
Im quite serious, I would like to know how to properly enact a ritual to summon Cthulhu.

Yeah, you're joking. Stop fucking around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon

Not in the slightest.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

Benuty wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:This is a discussion. Whether you're biased or not, it's a discussion.

Says the "Hitler BDSM alien" fetish guy.

PEOPLE. The topic. It's that way. *points* Get on it, or go elsewhere. You realize, of course, that what keeps these threads you're so ravenously bitching about is that YOU KEEP RESPONDING, right? I know, I know 'someone is wrong on the internet' all over again. This is NSG and all. But really. Think for a moment. Weigh the pros and cons of toeing the line of smartassery and getting yourselves in trouble over it, and whether or not it's really worth your time, hmm? Gadzooks. Scroll up - even I've submitted opinions on the topic mixed with the usual teasing and back and forth that goes on in this forum. Oi.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

Benuty wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
... Please tell me you're joking.

Im quite serious, I would like to know how to properly enact a ritual to summon Cthulhu.

YOU FOOL! CTHULHU WILL NOT RESPOND TO THE CALL OF PETTY MORTALS! YOU DO NOT CALL CTHULHU! CTHULHU CALLS YOU!
Except in Soviet Russia.
If you want to summon something, try the Haunter of the Dark. All you need is to look into the crystal.
piss

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

Benuty wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Yeah, you're joking. Stop fucking around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon

Not in the slightest.

What does being a criminal have to do with being an atheist and worshipping Cthulhu?

Aeribis wrote:While I do believe that there needs to be a helpful hotline for people having doubts, I do believe that it shouldn't be a biased party. And, yes, Athiests are biased, as are religious folks. There should be a third person party that is completely unbiased to talk to these people, and lead them to their own conclusions about it.

So... The Swedish should be the ones who keep the hotlines?

That's fucking stupid.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Pillea
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pillea » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

Aeribis wrote:While I do believe that there needs to be a helpful hotline for people having doubts, I do believe that it shouldn't be a biased party. And, yes, Athiests are biased, as are religious folks. There should be a third person party that is completely unbiased to talk to these people, and lead them to their own conclusions about it.

Not all atheists are seeking to "convert" people away from their belief amusingly enough. I've been a sounding board for numerous friends who had times of religious disbelief, one just became a priest recently and I couldn't be happier for him.
Trans*, polyamorous, atheist, vegan, pro-choice, pro-animal rights, pro-science, anti-rape culture, lesbian, feminist, far left wing

The Sector Union
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:Why would I get tired of NSG? I've been looking for a site like this for ages.

Oh, crap! People like you are actively looking for sites like this one? I'm afraid it's going to be an interesting summer...

Since 2009, I have been looking for a nation simulator. It was only until 2013 where I yelled "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".
Anyways, I realized the forums were a good place to express and discussion my opinions and views.
Purge the Xeno! For the Homo Sapien, For the Imperium of Terra!!!!

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good." -Sun Tzu

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 am

Aequalitia wrote:Serious, I begin to see more and more that atheism today is more a religion then the pure, non-religious believing.

I don't honestly see why that would be a bad thing.

Am I missing something?

And - isn't it what the theists have been claiming, anyway, for years?

Aequalitia wrote:Hotlines, blaming all bad things to religion, saying that the world is better if there was only atheism on it...

I'm an atheist. I'm pro-religion. Generalisations are rarely helpful.

Aequalitia wrote:Yep, atheism today is more like any other religion today.

That... seems unlikely. You're going to have to explain that one.

Aequalitia wrote:Whats next, a hotline for people who are left-handed?

Sure. Why not? Is there some kind of rule about what you can have helplines for?
I identify as
a problem

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
Benuty wrote:
Says the "Hitler BDSM alien" fetish guy.

PEOPLE. The topic. It's that way. *points* Get on it, or go elsewhere. You realize, of course, that what keeps these threads you're so ravenously bitching about is that YOU KEEP RESPONDING, right? I know, I know 'someone is wrong on the internet' all over again. This is NSG and all. But really. Think for a moment. Weigh the pros and cons of toeing the line of smartassery and getting yourselves in trouble over it, and whether or not it's really worth your time, hmm? Gadzooks. Scroll up - even I've submitted opinions on the topic mixed with the usual teasing and back and forth that goes on in this forum. Oi.

If we just brought this topic horribly off course you would have to lock it right... *smiles evilly*
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:PEOPLE. The topic. It's that way. *points* Get on it, or go elsewhere. You realize, of course, that what keeps these threads you're so ravenously bitching about is that YOU KEEP RESPONDING, right? I know, I know 'someone is wrong on the internet' all over again. This is NSG and all. But really. Think for a moment. Weigh the pros and cons of toeing the line of smartassery and getting yourselves in trouble over it, and whether or not it's really worth your time, hmm? Gadzooks. Scroll up - even I've submitted opinions on the topic mixed with the usual teasing and back and forth that goes on in this forum. Oi.

If we just brought this topic horribly off course you would have to lock it right... *smiles evilly*

Not before handing out ample redtext across the board like Christmas candy. *smiles more evilly*

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 am

Pillea wrote:

Not all atheists are seeking to "convert" people away from their belief amusingly enough. I've been a sounding board for numerous friends who had times of religious disbelief, one just became a priest recently and I couldn't be happier for him.

Indeed. I'm a pro-religion atheist.
I identify as
a problem

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am

The Sector Union wrote:WHO NEEDS TO TALK TO SOMEONE OVER THE LINE JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE DOUBTING? No seriously, this is something you can do on your own. You don't need a service to do that.

Lots of people. When you have a very religious upbringing, dealing with doubts about your religion can be incredibly hard and painful and confusing and scary. Trust me on this.

Your whole world is religious; there is nobody neutral you can talk to, nobody who will listen and not condemn you for doubting, nobody who will help you come to your own conclusions about religion rather than forcing their conclusions onto you.

You've never heard that it's okay to be an atheist -- why, to even think of thinking of beginning to get out of religion is wrong and bad and sinful and you are a horrible person for considering it.

You fear being shunned by friends and family if they find out you've got doubts.

You might not believe in Hell any more, but you still think you're going there for asking questions, because that's what's been drummed into your head all your life.

A period of questioning your religion can feel like your world is falling apart. Sometimes, someone whose world is falling apart needs a hotline. I think that's understandable. Talking to someone else about questioning or losing your faith can help you find new perspectives, prod your beliefs deeper, and work through your doubts and questions and confusions. Not everybody needs this, but some do, and it should be available to those people. It's not bad or unnecessary or silly.

This is another stunt by the cult of atheism in an attempt to copy god-based religion ideals.

How?

In fact, the hotline is obviously a recruitment center. Next thing you know, they will convert people mormon-style.

The hotline is very specifically not aimed at deconverting people.

Thoughts?

It's a great initiative; I wish someone had made it earlier; I expect it will help many people; I would like to donate or help out in another way; when is it coming to my country?
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am

Aequalitia wrote:Serious, I begin to see more and more that atheism today is more a religion then the pure, non-religious believing.

Hotlines, blaming all bad things to religion, saying that the world is better if there was only atheism on it...

Yep, atheism today is more like any other religion today.

Whats next, a hotline for people who are left-handed?

This post is somehow dumber than the OP's.

Give this guy a golden sticker.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am

The Sector Union wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Oh, crap! People like you are actively looking for sites like this one? I'm afraid it's going to be an interesting summer...

Since 2009, I have been looking for a nation simulator. It was only until 2013 where I yelled "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".
Anyways, I realized the forums were a good place to express and discussion my opinions and views.

And the rest of us suffer because of it.

Polkopia
Minister

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Polkopia » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:35 am

*Sigh*

:palm:
Anthem (Instrumental) Factbook Embassy
Check out the Polkopian Premier League

1st place: 8 Times (WV25, WV30, WV35 WV39, WV44, WV48, WV50, WV75)
2nd place: 2 Times (WV26, WV34)
3rd place (8 Times: WV27, WV31, WV32, WV37, WV54, WV59, WV70, WV72)

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 am

OP, could you stop being incoherent for 5 seconds and help me out here?

I don't understand your objections to this.

Are you not an atheist if you don't like other religions?

What DO you believe, OP?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Sector Union
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 am

Tsuntion wrote:
The Sector Union wrote:WHO NEEDS TO TALK TO SOMEONE OVER THE LINE JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE DOUBTING? No seriously, this is something you can do on your own. You don't need a service to do that.

Lots of people. When you have a very religious upbringing, dealing with doubts about your religion can be incredibly hard and painful and confusing and scary. Trust me on this.

Your whole world is religious; there is nobody neutral you can talk to, nobody who will listen and not condemn you for doubting, nobody who will help you come to your own conclusions about religion rather than forcing their conclusions onto you.

You've never heard that it's okay to be an atheist -- why, to even think of thinking of beginning to get out of religion is wrong and bad and sinful and you are a horrible person for considering it.

You fear being shunned by friends and family if they find out you've got doubts.

You might not believe in Hell any more, but you still think you're going there for asking questions, because that's what's been drummed into your head all your life.

A period of questioning your religion can feel like your world is falling apart. Sometimes, someone whose world is falling apart needs a hotline. I think that's understandable. Talking to someone else about questioning or losing your faith can help you find new perspectives, prod your beliefs deeper, and work through your doubts and questions and confusions. Not everybody needs this, but some do, and it should be available to those people. It's not bad or unnecessary or silly.

This is another stunt by the cult of atheism in an attempt to copy god-based religion ideals.

How?

In fact, the hotline is obviously a recruitment center. Next thing you know, they will convert people mormon-style.

The hotline is very specifically not aimed at deconverting people.

Thoughts?

It's a great initiative; I wish someone had made it earlier; I expect it will help many people; I would like to donate or help out in another way; when is it coming to my country?

They are deconverting people. The fact that they ask for people who are having doubt is an easy initiative to lure them into atheism.

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good." -Sun Tzu

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:PEOPLE. The topic. It's that way. *points* Get on it, or go elsewhere. You realize, of course, that what keeps these threads you're so ravenously bitching about is that YOU KEEP RESPONDING, right? I know, I know 'someone is wrong on the internet' all over again. This is NSG and all. But really. Think for a moment. Weigh the pros and cons of toeing the line of smartassery and getting yourselves in trouble over it, and whether or not it's really worth your time, hmm? Gadzooks. Scroll up - even I've submitted opinions on the topic mixed with the usual teasing and back and forth that goes on in this forum. Oi.

Sometimes I almost believe that people actually enjoy it, but that's probably just me. Mind you, it's only logical (your definition of logic may be different) to assume that a hotline for those who seriously doubt the dogmas they were brought up with is only another diabolical plan to utterly rape and ruin God's promised land, the United States of America. Makes perfect sense, right? Right? YOU WILL TELL ME I AM RIGHT.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 am

...and? Fine, good, whatever. I don't really care.

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 am

Pillea wrote:

As an atheist myself whenever I am asked about it or people try to convert me I just tell them the facts. The facts that scientists worked hard to discover and agree on and leave it at that. They can see the truth or they can continue believing in god I don't really care. I told them the information their parents, preachers, and the rest of society wouldn't give them and I let them do with it what they please. I know when I told my best friend the facts he told me that no one had ever told him that there was a chance that he wouldn't go to heaven, never once was he told about the big bang. I told him he could do what he wanted and he became atheist, the rest of my friends that asked me about it didn't. I don't have a problem with believing in god by the way, I just don't like organized religion. Even with not liking organized religion I'm still not making threads about it or spouting it to the world.
We're all mad here.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

The Sector Union
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 am

The Rich Port wrote:OP, could you stop being incoherent for 5 seconds and help me out here?

What DO you believe, OP?

My beliefs is science-creationism. I believe at the moment of the big bang, a god or deity was born. The deity built the first building blocks of galaxies, stars, planets, moons and of course life and BAM! Everything goes automatic like the biggest contraption to exist. Yes, a deity is involved, but there is a lot of science after that.

That is why I believe in.

No churches, no worships, no gospel.
No ridiculing, no stubbornness, and no atheism.

That's really all.

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:If we just brought this topic horribly off course you would have to lock it right... *smiles evilly*

Not before handing out ample redtext across the board like Christmas candy. *smiles more evilly*

With that being said... hey guys any of you here about that new Quantic Dream game Beyond Two Souls coming out it looks fucking awesome!!!
We're all mad here.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:
Pillea wrote:

As an atheist myself whenever I am asked about it or people try to convert me I just tell them the facts. The facts that scientists worked hard to discover and agree on and leave it at that. They can see the truth or they can continue believing in god I don't really care. I told them the information their parents, preachers, and the rest of society wouldn't give them and I let them do with it what they please. I know when I told my best friend the facts he told me that no one had ever told him that there was a chance that he wouldn't go to heaven, never once was he told about the big bang. I told him he could do what he wanted and he became atheist, the rest of my friends that asked me about it didn't. I don't have a problem with believing in god by the way, I just don't like organized religion. Even with not liking organized religion I'm still not making threads about it or spouting it to the world.

What facts?

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

The Sector Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:OP, could you stop being incoherent for 5 seconds and help me out here?

What DO you believe, OP?

My beliefs is science-creationism. I believe at the moment of the big bang, a god or deity was born. The deity built the first building blocks of galaxies, stars, planets, moons and of course life and BAM! Everything goes automatic like the biggest contraption to exist. Yes, a deity is involved, but there is a lot of science after that.

That's really all.

Then stop stubbornly ridiculing everyone who doesn't happen to think the same way you do. Problem solved.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 am

The Sector Union wrote:My beliefs is science-creationism. I believe at the moment of the big bang, a god or deity was born. The deity built the first building blocks of galaxies, stars, planets, moons and of course life and BAM! Everything goes automatic like the biggest contraption to exist. Yes, a deity is involved, but there is a lot of science after that.

That's really all.

Then stop stubbornly ridiculing everyone who doesn't happen to think the same way you do. Problem solved.

He could also start a blog.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General