NATION

PASSWORD

Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 am

Divair wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:But still, Sector Union, you realize no one on this website takes you seriously anymore, right?

I don't think he cares.

Either that, or he is just completely oblivious to reality.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 am

Divair wrote:
Choronzon wrote:That is seriously all it takes to be a religion in your mind?

Political parties are religions to you?

Sports teams are religions, yo.

Ever met a Cubs fan?

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

Divair wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:GET A BLOG.

Or don't. Just stop posting stuff on the internet.

Now that would be a significant improvement, but something tells me the OP is going to generate at least a few threads more. If he keeps it up long enough, sooner or later we shall recognize his authority and hail him as one of the NSG elite.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

Are you seriously that threatened by another group offering their opinion - which is their right in this nation at least - that you feel the deep-seated need to deny them that right so that you'll sleep easier at night, feel more secure in your self-imposed blindness, and not have to think about the fact that perhaps, just perhaps, people don't all think like you do?

Seriously?

This isn't even newsworthy so much as 'a point of interest' sort of thing. Good for them. People who aren't interested in contacting them shouldn't be. People who do have questions and a genuine interest, can. Huzzah. I for one feel not one ounce of fear or loathing at this development.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

The Orson Empire wrote:
Divair wrote:I don't think he cares.

Either that, or he is just completely oblivious to reality.

Why not both?

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Divair wrote:Or don't. Just stop posting stuff on the internet.

Now that would be a significant improvement, but something tells me the OP is going to generate at least a few threads more. If he keeps it up long enough, sooner or later we shall recognize his authority and hail him as one of the NSG elite.

Or he'll get banned and stage a revolution, clearly.

The Sector Union
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Valkalan wrote:The more they strive to make themselves available, the more atheism as movement resembles religion.

Sure. They have the churches, and the scriptures, and the dogma, and the preachers and the....

Oh, wait. They don't, do they.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzzThKoe15E
Purge the Xeno! For the Homo Sapien, For the Imperium of Terra!!!!

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good." -Sun Tzu

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Valkalan wrote:The more they strive to make themselves available, the more atheism as movement resembles religion.

Sure. They have the churches, and the scriptures, and the dogma, and the preachers and the....

We shall, read from page 53 in the holy book. "And Albert said unto Isaac; 'you going to eat that?'"

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 am

Big Jim P wrote:You do not convert to Atheism. You drop your belief in mythological beings and boom! you are an atheist.

What Big Jim P says. It pretty much just happens.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Pillea
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pillea » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:I'm actually curious as to what a MormonStyle Athiest Missionary would be like....

"Hi there, I was just wondering if you had a moment to talk about how awesome it would be to get to sleep in an extra weekend morning a week? I have this pamphlet here and if you would give me a few moments I can tell you about this coffee shop that would be a far better use of that morning."
Trans*, polyamorous, atheist, vegan, pro-choice, pro-animal rights, pro-science, anti-rape culture, lesbian, feminist, far left wing

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 am

Choronzon wrote:

That is seriously all it takes to be a religion in your mind?

Given the mindless devotion they receive, yes.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Benuty wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Can Sector Union be anymore of a melodramatic babby? Yes, yes he can.

If religions get hotlines, why can't atheists?

More importantly why can't criminals have hotlines.

... Please tell me you're joking.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Pillea wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:I'm actually curious as to what a MormonStyle Athiest Missionary would be like....

"Hi there, I was just wondering if you had a moment to talk about how awesome it would be to get to sleep in an extra weekend morning a week? I have this pamphlet here and if you would give me a few moments I can tell you about this coffee shop that would be a far better use of that morning."

Ah but if you're a Seventh Day Adventist, you can go to church at night.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Are you seriously that threatened by another group offering their opinion - which is their right in this nation at least - that you feel the deep-seated need to deny them that right so that you'll sleep easier at night, feel more secure in your self-imposed blindness, and not have to think about the fact that perhaps, just perhaps, people don't all think like you do?

Seriously?

You should go look at all his other threads.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Valkalan wrote:

And then everyone stopped taking you seriously.

The Sector Union
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

The Ferret Revolution wrote:My thoughts... my thoughts are that you are obviously an overly religious and you think that it is easy to give up a belief your parents told you you would burn in hell for doing so. Atheism is not a cult it is the lack of one, it is the lack of religion, it is the lack of blind faith, and it is a label given to skeptics like myself that don't want to put everything they believe in on some guy from a book written by some goat herder hundreds of years ago. We are not converting people, we are helping people live happily without god. Atheism can be a hard thing to switch to if depending on your family life and where you live.

Overly religious? I don't support organized religion at all. Atheism is in the same boat.

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good." -Sun Tzu

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Are you seriously that threatened by another group offering their opinion - which is their right in this nation at least - that you feel the deep-seated need to deny them that right so that you'll sleep easier at night, feel more secure in your self-imposed blindness, and not have to think about the fact that perhaps, just perhaps, people don't all think like you do?

Seriously?

This isn't even newsworthy so much as 'a point of interest' sort of thing. Good for them. People who aren't interested in contacting them shouldn't be. People who do have questions and a genuine interest, can. Huzzah. I for one feel not one ounce of fear or loathing at this development.

^ this ^
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

The Sector Union wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

According to that 'logic', comic book and gaming conventions are religious gatherings too.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Valkalan wrote:

I've found the problem. You seriously don't know what constitutes a "religion."

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Benuty wrote:
More importantly why can't criminals have hotlines.

... Please tell me you're joking.

Actually no this would be cool, they should have a radio station too. I'd love to talk to DJ Bundy.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

The Sector Union wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Seen that. Love that Christian guy. I wish more Christians could strive to be more like him.
I identify as
a problem

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:

According to that 'logic', comic book and gaming conventions are religious gatherings too.

E3, the holiest three days of the year for Gamerists.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

The Sector Union wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Are Youtube Videos actually sources now?
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

The Sector Union
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sector Union » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am

Divair wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:According to that 'logic', comic book and gaming conventions are religious gatherings too.

E3 is something I would like to attend.

On topic now guys.

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am

Divair wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:According to that 'logic', comic book and gaming conventions are religious gatherings too.

You just gained my instant respect good sir.
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am

Pillea wrote:

*hits 'like' button*

Hey, why don't we have a 'like' button? We used to, back in the old days.
I identify as
a problem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General