NATION

PASSWORD

Should men have a choice in abortion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
It's not irresponsible to not go through a procedure they don't want.

It is utterly irresponsible for them not to protect themselves and then claim "oh poor me" to any of us more rational people when the girl is giving them hell to be the parent when he could have avoided this by using some sort of protection and being explicit about his intentions with her, that he wanted a booty call and not to be the parent of any brat.

There's the difference.

He should still not be forced into parenthood. End of story. A woman is not forced into parenthood. He shouldn't be forced into it, either.
Consent to sex =/= Consent to pregnancy.
You are literally using the SAME argument as pro-lifers.

It is quite different.

I am not saying it isn't his right not to be a parent. It certainly is his right to do whatever the hell he wants.

I am just saying I would not agree with such person when they were stupid enough to go "I didn't use a condom or anything" to me when they very damn well know the risks of unprotected sex. He should not be forced into parenthood, but I should also not be forced on feeling empathy for him.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:He should still not be forced into parenthood. End of story. A woman is not forced into parenthood. He shouldn't be forced into it, either.

It is quite different.

I am not saying it isn't his right not to be a parent. It certainly is his right to do whatever the hell he wants.

I am just saying I would not agree with such person when they were stupid enough to go "I didn't use a condom or anything" to me when they very damn well know the risks of unprotected sex. He should not be forced into parenthood, but I should also not be forced on feeling empathy for him.

Good enough.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:He should still not be forced into parenthood. End of story. A woman is not forced into parenthood. He shouldn't be forced into it, either.

It is quite different.

Ok. That's fine not to respect the choices someone makes.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

No, not at all, it's far too serious for a woman's body and psychology for a man to have a say in it, or any other individual in general.
Men however, should be forced to help economicaly (at least) the pregnant woman as they have 50% repsonsibility(except in the case of rape, then they have 100% responsibility and along with their punishment, a sum should be taken from their property in order to pay for the abortion, or the raising of the child).

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Camelza wrote:No, not at all, it's far too serious for a woman's body and psychology for a man to have a say in it, or any other individual in general.
Men however, should be forced to help economicaly (at least) the pregnant woman as they have 50% repsonsibility(except in the case of rape, then they have 100% responsibility and along with their punishment, a sum should be taken from their property in order to pay for the abortion, or the raising of the child).

Forced economically how exactly. I'm fine with them paying for half of the pregnancy costs, but I see no reason they should have to pay for the child once born if they don't want to.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:02 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:As for the unplanned pregnancy issue, if you have unprotected sex you pretty much know, 100%, you will have a child regardless,

Where did you get that from? School?

No. It's not even true that repeated acts between the same partners will approach 100%. One or both of them might be infertile.

CDC wrote:
Infertility means not being able to get pregnant after one year of trying. Or, six months, if a woman is 35 years of age or older. Women who can get pregnant but are unable to stay pregnant may also be infertile.
About 10 % of women (6.1 million) in the United States ages 15–44 years have difficulty getting pregnant or staying pregnant.

Considering that men can be sterile without knowing it too, the odds go down to 85%. That's having sex with the same partner regularly for a year.

The likelihood of a single act of unprotected sex leading to pregnancy is very low. But it varies so widely depending on who in involved, it could be anywhere from 0% to 40% but with the peak skewed towards the low end, about 3%. It's too varied to put a number on, to use in all cases: you should research it yourself if you want to use one firm number in future.

It is NOT 100%.

Soldati senza confini wrote: so why make an excuse for it? I am not saying they should be forced into being parents, but a person like that should also not expect my empathy.

It's always good to have empathy. Whether you feel sympathy is another matter.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Camelza wrote:No, not at all, it's far too serious for a woman's body and psychology for a man to have a say in it, or any other individual in general.

Forced economically how exactly. I'm fine with them paying for half of the pregnancy costs, but I see no reason they should have to pay for the child once born if they don't want to.

That's why I said pregnant woman ...meaning they should help with the costly seminars, nutrition, doctor visits and birth, or simply the abortion and counselling and psychological support if afterwards needed.

In the case of rape it's completely different.
Last edited by Camelza on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 am

Camelza wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

That's why I said pregnant woman ...meaning they should help with the costly seminars, nutrition, doctor visits and birth, or simply the abortion and counselling and psychological support if afterwards needed.

Fine by me.
Ostro.MOV

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:07 am

Men don't have any responsibility in a pro-choice nation.

Who decided in the end to keep the child?
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Gideus
Minister

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:13 am

Men should have no voice in determining if the woman gets an abortion.

At the same time, the man should not be forced to pay, be with the child, or anything else. I believe this is what is called a "paper abortion."

While we're on the subject, there shouldn't be a bias in courts towards women winning custody of children.

But no, for the main topic of the thread, men should have no say in the abortion. And I say this as a very straight, very cisgendered white male.
Political Compass(12/18/12)
Economic Left: 5.75
Social Libertarian: 6.87
This represents my nation, Gideus, as well as me.

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Everything you said is perfect.

Those who ignore history's lessons in the ultimate folly of war are forced to do more than relive them ... they may be forced to die by them. - Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

My opinion on feminism, MRA movements, and other similar movements.
I DO NOT use NS statistics, unless specifically requested to do so for individual RPs. Rest assured I will not godmod, I will use logic.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:As for the unplanned pregnancy issue, if you have unprotected sex you pretty much know, 100%, you will have a child regardless,

Where did you get that from? School?

No. It's not even true that repeated acts between the same partners will approach 100%. One or both of them might be infertile.

CDC wrote:
Infertility means not being able to get pregnant after one year of trying. Or, six months, if a woman is 35 years of age or older. Women who can get pregnant but are unable to stay pregnant may also be infertile.
About 10 % of women (6.1 million) in the United States ages 15–44 years have difficulty getting pregnant or staying pregnant.

Considering that men can be sterile without knowing it too, the odds go down to 85%. That's having sex with the same partner regularly for a year.

The likelihood of a single act of unprotected sex leading to pregnancy is very low. But it varies so widely depending on who in involved, it could be anywhere from 0% to 40% but with the peak skewed towards the low end, about 3%. It's too varied to put a number on, to use in all cases: you should research it yourself if you want to use one firm number in future.

It is NOT 100%.

Soldati senza confini wrote: so why make an excuse for it? I am not saying they should be forced into being parents, but a person like that should also not expect my empathy.

It's always good to have empathy. Whether you feel sympathy is another matter.

Not considering infertility cases or menopause :p

And I suppose I misspoke there. However, it is still certain that I would not feel once ounce of "oh you poor thing!" towards them. Ever. They were stupid enough into getting in unprotected sex and get in the situation they are on, let them deal with it on their own, however they choose to do so it's not my concern, as that is the good thing about having options.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 am

Zottistan wrote:

Men don't have any responsibility in a pro-choice nation.

Men have no part in decision making regarding this as it's extremely hard for a woman to follow each of the two options, but the man should be obliged to help by paying 50% of all expenses whatever the woman's decision ...it may sound unjust, but it's not.
Last edited by Camelza on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 am

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:He should still not be forced into parenthood. End of story. A woman is not forced into parenthood. He shouldn't be forced into it, either. Consent to sex =/= Consent to pregnancy. You are literally using the SAME argument as pro-lifers.

If a child is born, the baby still needs to be taken care of. If the father won't at the very least take financial responsibility then who will?
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am

Saiwania wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:He should still not be forced into parenthood. End of story. A woman is not forced into parenthood. He shouldn't be forced into it, either. Consent to sex =/= Consent to pregnancy. You are literally using the SAME argument as pro-lifers.

If a child is born, the baby still need to be taken care of. If the father won't at the very least take financial responsibility than who will?

The people who actually want to raise the child?
Ostro.MOV

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am

Camelza wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Men don't have any responsibility in a pro-choice nation.

Men have no part in decision making, but should be obliged to help by paying 50% of all expenses whatever the woman's decision ...it may sound unjust, but it's not.

It is unjust. Don't try to make it sound like it isn't.

Women get to not have children when pregnancy occurs, but men are just fucked.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am

New Sapienta wrote:Women get to not have children when pregnancy occurs, but men are just fucked.

You've just exploded the irony-ometer.

Gratz.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
If a child is born, the baby still need to be taken care of. If the father won't at the very least take financial responsibility than who will?

The people who actually want to raise the child?

No, make the biological parents take care of a child they don't want!!!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 am

Camelza wrote:

Men have no part in decision making regarding this as it's extremely hard for a woman to follow each of the two options, but the man should be obliged to help by paying 50% of all expenses whatever the woman's decision ...it may sound unjust, but it's not.

On what grounds should he be expected to pay? In the end it was the woman's choice to keep the child, therefore the woman is solely responsible for it.
Last edited by Zottistan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 am

New Sapienta wrote:
Camelza wrote:Men have no part in decision making, but should be obliged to help by paying 50% of all expenses whatever the woman's decision ...it may sound unjust, but it's not.

He's talking about medical expenses resulting from the pregnancy.
It seems entirely reasonable to expect the man to pay for half of the abortion costs, or the birthing costs.
But not to actually pay for the child if they dont want to.
Ostro.MOV

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 am

Bombadil wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Women get to not have children when pregnancy occurs, but men are just fucked.

You've just exploded the irony-ometer.

Gratz.

Hehehehehehe

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:It is unjust. Don't try to make it sound like it isn't.

He's talking about medical expenses resulting from the pregnancy.
It seems entirely reasonable to expect the man to pay for half of the abortion costs, or the birthing costs.
But not to actually pay for the child if they dont want to.

Pregnancy is reasonable, parenthood after isn't.

If he only advocates pregnancy costs, than that is fine.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am

Gideus wrote:Men should have no voice in determining if the woman gets an abortion.

At the same time, the man should not be forced to pay, be with the child, or anything else. I believe this is what is called a "paper abortion."

While we're on the subject, there shouldn't be a bias in courts towards women winning custody of children.

But no, for the main topic of the thread, men should have no say in the abortion. And I say this as a very straight, very cisgendered white male.

Everything you said is perfect.

Gideus
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

Saiwania wrote:

If a child is born, the baby still needs to be taken care of. If the father won't at the very least take financial responsibility then who will?

The people who are going to accept parenthood. I personally don't think we need more children born at this point, and though I hate to stereotype like this and make blatantly sexist statements, there are women out there who purposely get pregnant to make the man pay child support. It may not be common, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

As others have said, consenting to sex is not equal to consenting to parenthood. This is why I am an advocate for "paper abortions," as I believe they are called, where the man essentially cuts all ties to the child, as well as not being forced, required, or coerced into paying for anything related to the child.

Those who ignore history's lessons in the ultimate folly of war are forced to do more than relive them ... they may be forced to die by them. - Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

I DO NOT use NS statistics, unless specifically requested to do so for individual RPs. Rest assured I will not godmod, I will use logic.

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

New Sapienta wrote:
Camelza wrote:Men have no part in decision making, but should be obliged to help by paying 50% of all expenses whatever the woman's decision ...it may sound unjust, but it's not.

No, you see ...a man has only to pay for 50% of the expenses of pregnancy, or abortion, while a woman has either to go through a fucking pregnancy or have an abortion which is psychologically devastating and pay for half the expenses ...understood now?

Plus, it's 50% his own fucking responsibility to do so.
Last edited by Camelza on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gideus
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
Gideus wrote:Men should have no voice in determining if the woman gets an abortion.

Everything you said is perfect.

Awww, thanks! I got called perfect by Torc!

That's going in my sig.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General