NATION

PASSWORD

Repost of the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps in Syria Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Disserbia wrote:Tyranny of the majority is no good either though, and Russia isn't imposing their will on anyone, and Ukrainians going to fight because Orthodox Christians are being killed or for whatever reason, it's their prerogative. Furthermore, I never said that all the rebels are Islamists, I just said there is evidence that many of the reble forces have been infiltrated by them and so it follows that theocracy could be a real possibility. I don't think that what will replace Assad is going to be much better than Assad if he loses and of course there is no way to know that, but there isn't much evidence to the contrary either and meanwhile tons of people are dying and the country is being torn apart. So I see no problem with Russia selling Assad weapons, or the US aiding the rebels (which they are just not with weapons). The devil you know...

There is hardly ever a "great" option in anything, whether it be domestic policy or foreign policy. As to whether Assad is better or the hypothetical government to succeed it is...it's all speculation. All I know is lots of people are dying there and will continue to die there, regardless if the war ends sooner than later. Do you think Assad is going to grant amnesty after this is all said and done?

But the Russians, by selling weapons to Assad, have changed the playing field. They have decided to support an authoritative regime, rather than let nature take its course. The choice we have right now is do we wish to side with what the people want (or is democracy an exclusively European/American/white right worth fighting for?) or support Assad by doing nothing? Is American/European foreign policy so cynical?

Disserbia wrote:Also, they're both gross, at that point it doesn't matter how nice her tits are cuz she's gross, gross, gross gross gross gross gross.

Hey, I wasn't the one claiming to be Snooki, js.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
That's not necessarily true.

The problem with any country intervening in another is a lack of understanding of the country they are trying to change. It's not a unique trait to American foreign policy, it's just America's foreign policy is more pronounced at the moment.

America isn't really worse at it than other imperialist swine though.

Exactly. It's just been 60+ years since the French, English, Dutch, Germans, etc. had empires and intervened in foreign lands.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Disserbia wrote:Tyranny of the majority is no good either though, and Russia isn't imposing their will on anyone, and Ukrainians going to fight because Orthodox Christians are being killed or for whatever reason, it's their prerogative. Furthermore, I never said that all the rebels are Islamists, I just said there is evidence that many of the reble forces have been infiltrated by them and so it follows that theocracy could be a real possibility. I don't think that what will replace Assad is going to be much better than Assad if he loses and of course there is no way to know that, but there isn't much evidence to the contrary either and meanwhile tons of people are dying and the country is being torn apart. So I see no problem with Russia selling Assad weapons, or the US aiding the rebels (which they are just not with weapons). The devil you know...

There is hardly ever a "great" option in anything, whether it be domestic policy or foreign policy. As to whether Assad is better or the hypothetical government to succeed it is...it's all speculation. All I know is lots of people are dying there and will continue to die there, regardless if the war ends sooner than later. Do you think Assad is going to grant amnesty after this is all said and done?

But the Russians, by selling weapons to Assad, have changed the playing field. They have decided to support an authoritative regime, rather than let nature take its course. The choice we have right now is do we wish to side with what the people want (or is democracy an exclusively European/American/white right worth fighting for?) or support Assad by doing nothing? Is American/European foreign policy so cynical?

Disserbia wrote:Also, they're both gross, at that point it doesn't matter how nice her tits are cuz she's gross, gross, gross gross gross gross gross.

Hey, I wasn't the one claiming to be Snooki, js.

I don't the the Russians have changed the game at all. They're selling weapons to a legitimate government to put down a violent uprising. You may not like that government but that doesn't really change the facts.

You were claiming to be Mike, Nixon.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Disserbia wrote:America isn't really worse at it than other imperialist swine though.

Exactly. It's just been 60+ years since the French, English, Dutch, Germans, etc. had empires and intervened in foreign lands.

That doesn't prevent them from doing it today still. They want to be relevant so badly, its kinda cute.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Way to go Ukrainian soldiers. Have fun in that shit storm.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Disserbia wrote:I don't the the Russians have changed the game at all. They're selling weapons to a legitimate government to put down a violent uprising. You may not like that government but that doesn't really change the facts.

A government is only legitimate when people make it so. Not because a few on the top say it is. And while I realize we sometimes have to deal with the devil we know, if the country is ripe for revolution, we should try and help it rather than sit on the sidelines with our thumbs up our ass.

Disserbia wrote:You were claiming to be Mike, Nixon.

Fair point, wasssttteeeeeeed Snooki :P

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Disserbia wrote:

That doesn't prevent them from doing it today still. They want to be relevant so badly, its kinda cute.

It's kinda annoying, actually. If they hadn't hurried up the formation of the Eurozone with the dream of beating the big, bad ol' dollar, we wouldn't be in this mess today. Thanks to Europe, the world market is fragile, and could go either way in the years to come.

Al-Quarra
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Quarra » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am

Assad isn't going to accept this offer, if he would he would ruin his own statement of fighting against forgein backed fighters...
Last edited by Al-Quarra on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 am

Is Assad gone really what the people want? The Russians know, better than anyone, that Menshevik Groups can easily pass themselves off as Bolsheviks. Those who yell the loudest, and are the most violent, usually claim to represent the majority in a revolution, but is that really the case in Syria? I've no idea. But, as it turns out, not a whole lot of Chechens supporting invading Dagestan. And the extreme majority of the Dagestani People were against it. Are the Insurgents really representing the majority, Nixon?

Additionally, the Russians gave Assad AA Missiles. What do those do? Prevent NATO from enforcing a no fly zone, and Israel from bombing any place where they think Hezbollah might hide. That's all they do. They're not going to be a game changer in the war on the ground.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Prizea
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prizea » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 am

Disserbia wrote:That doesn't prevent them from doing it today still. They want to be relevant so badly, its kinda cute.

It's kinda annoying, actually. If they hadn't hurried up the formation of the Eurozone with the dream of beating the big, bad ol' dollar, we wouldn't be in this mess today. Thanks to Europe, the world market is fragile, and could go either way in the years to come.

And if it wasn't for the American banks then we wouldn't have had a global recession at all.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General