NATION

PASSWORD

Just where is the line?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 pm

That is the line right there: _____________________________________________________________. That mom crossed it.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Thu May 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
New haven america wrote:As I said, she was probably watching.

What exactly are you basing this assumption on?

I misread it at first and thought that the OP said she stayed in the room when in fact they just asked if they did.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Thu May 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Democratic Republic of Stephan wrote:Growing up with the knowledge that your own mother helped you lose your virginity should creep the Hell out of anybody. Strange story to say the least.

I do wonder if she would have been so helpful if it had been her daughter instead of her son; or if he was there with his gay lover rather than his girlfriend.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Great Vallencya
Secretary

Founded: May 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Vallencya » Thu May 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Democratic Republic of Stephan wrote:Growing up with the knowledge that your own mother helped you lose your virginity should creep the Hell out of anybody. Strange story to say the least.

She didn't help him lose his virginity... its not like she hooked him up with his girlfriend, and courted the two (well, I can't say this for sure, but since the article doesn't say so, i'll continue for the sake of my argument). She just rented him a place to lose it... with HIS money.

Imsogone wrote:

I do wonder if she would have been so helpful if it had been her daughter instead of her son; or if he was there with his gay lover rather than his girlfriend.

Ha! Doubtful, methinks.
Last edited by Great Vallencya on Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democracy be damned.

“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
― Mark Twain

Economic Left/Right: -5.75 <<<<<<< Stupid Political
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49 << Compass

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Disturbing.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Imsogone wrote:

Doubt it.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

NorthAmarica
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby NorthAmarica » Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Let the child make their own decisions. Each decision has it's own consequence and reward. Parents should let their children have some responsibility.
Northamerica
nationstates.net/northamarica
est.2011

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Someone should've told that mom to fuck off and go play in traffic. It'll help you become pefect at running your kids' lives. ;)
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Great Vallencya
Secretary

Founded: May 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Vallencya » Thu May 30, 2013 5:27 pm

NorthAmarica wrote:Let the child make their own decisions. Each decision has it's own consequence and reward. Parents should let their children have some responsibility.

The male was 19 years old. The woman used HIS money... hardly a child.

Torisakia wrote:Someone should've told that mom to fuck off and go play in traffic.

Because she rented her son a place to dig out his girlfriend?
Last edited by Great Vallencya on Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Democracy be damned.

“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
― Mark Twain

Economic Left/Right: -5.75 <<<<<<< Stupid Political
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49 << Compass

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Imsogone wrote:

I don't doubt she would, actually.
password scrambled

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 pm

My kids managed to lose their respective virginities just fine without my help. I believe my son was 17 when he called me and told me about his "adventure". My daughter was 18. Neither of them seemed to have any trouble finding venues for their activities. Of course, the fact that they were in the military at the time could have had some bearing on things.

And I did find it strange that they actually wanted to tell me about their activities. As I recall, I did ask them if they used protection - my son hemmed and hawed and avoided the question, my daughter said "mother, I'm not stupid."
Last edited by Imsogone on Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Creepy to be sure, especially the motel that wouldn't rent a room to an adult.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Imsogone wrote:My kids managed to lose their respective virginities just fine without my help. I believe my son was 17 when he called me and told me about his "adventure". My daughter was 18. Neither of them seemed to have any trouble finding venues for their activities. Of course, the fact that they were in the military at the time could have had some bearing on things.

And I did find it strange that they actually wanted to tell me about it.

They wanted you to be sure. :p :rofl:
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Antares XII
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Yet another spin-laden article. I'm not seeing the helicopter angle. Sounds like a mom with a healthy respect for her adult son, just helping him out when some unnecessary policy/law otherwise would have ruined his arguably well-intentioned plans.

Condunum wrote:
Imsogone wrote:I do wonder if she would have been so helpful if it had been her daughter instead of her son; or if he was there with his gay lover rather than his girlfriend.

I don't doubt she would, actually.

Neither do I.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

I only posted in TET that one time I swear! I prefer intellectual discussions
Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Agnostic atheist and skeptical cynic
I do not identify as a person
Dark grey asexual

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm

I have to take this under careful consideration. I am the mom of an 18-year old virgin. He does not have a girlfriend currently, but if he were to come to me for some odd reason and say, "Mom, I have a girlfriend and I'm ready to lose my virginity to her." I have to consider a few things.

Would I want him to do it under my roof where I might be in the next room as it's "going on"? Hell no. Would I want him in some random unknown place like in the back seat of a car where a cop could pull up on them? Probably not. Would renting him a hotel room with his money because he's too young to do so himself assure me that he is at the very least in a safe environment doing something he is going to do with, or without my approval of the circumstances? Probably. Would I do it? Most likely. Not without the same discomfort I felt getting him condoms because I would rather suffer the embarrassment of that than find he knocked up a girl too young and certainly not while looking on. I especially wouldn't make it a publicly known fact that I did so.
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Roan Cara
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Roan Cara » Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Imsogone wrote:

yeah I was wondering that as well, do the standard apply to all types of relationships or is she just helping her BOY become a MAN... (shudder)

Honestly I agree with what the person blogging about it had to say, educate your children be there to talk if they need to and do things like help them get to the doctor etc if they tell you they are active but other than that the rest is not my business and I don't wanna know.
Married to Big Jim P- I will always love him-ALLways
Roan HaYashurah - Roan the Just... or straight...~Menassa
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss[/align]

Icesun
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Icesun » Thu May 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Wait - is there an actual news story here? Because - y'know - for his 18th birthday - my ex and I were in a hotel room that his family rented for us (yeah -nothing happened, don't even go there). I fail to see how this is news.

I doubt she was watching. Should definitely be questioning the hotel about its discrimination though, I think there has to be a lawsuit in there somewhere.
Eco: -3.50, Social: -4.05
Icesun
Founder of The Midwestern Rim
Factbook [Under Construction]
[1][2][3][4][[5]]
Member of the Stonewall Alliance

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm

In any case, I'd probably say the line is crossed when the mother [tries to] joins in.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu May 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:That's just wrong...

^this.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Stanisburg
Envoy

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stanisburg » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

I think it would be a lot weirder and more intrusive if she asked what he wanted the room for and then said no.

Would I sign the paperwork so my 19 year old son could stay in a hotel despite some stupid rule?

Yes.

That's all that happened here.

What? She was supposed to ask him who was going to be at the party first? And that somehow wouldn't be "helicopter parenting"?

That makes no sense.

Icesun
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Icesun » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Of course - there is the elephant in the room.

Perhaps the blog writer is just hideously insecure and self conscious when it comes to sex - being unable to talk about it healthily with their child, accept that their child is having sex - and when their child is discriminated by bull---- rules help them get around it.

I think the blogger is likely more unhealthy than the mother. So the mother "shared her story" - perhaps - just PERHAPS - she's inviting people to not go bat---- crazy when their children start having sex by providing a good example and suggesting that when they hit 19 its actually okay to approve of them utilizing all the tips they've garnered from animal planet in a safe environment.
Last edited by Icesun on Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eco: -3.50, Social: -4.05
Icesun
Founder of The Midwestern Rim
Factbook [Under Construction]
[1][2][3][4][[5]]
Member of the Stonewall Alliance

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Icesun wrote:Of course - there is the elephant in the room.

Perhaps the blog writer is just hideously insecure and self conscious when it comes to sex - being unable to talk about it healthily with their child, accept that their child is having sex - and when their child is discriminated by bull---- rules help them get around it.

I think the blogger is likely more unhealthy than the mother. So the mother "shared her story" - perhaps - just PERHAPS - she's inviting people to not go bat---- crazy when their children start having sex by providing a good example and suggesting that when they hit 19 its actually okay to approve of them utilizing all the tips they've garnered from animal planet in a safe environment.

Thank you for this perspective. I was fidgeting under my skin wondering if the open conversation relationship I have with my son is truly unhealthy. I developed a good portion of my plan for parenting from having babysat for some "Dead Heads" when I was in my teens. They had made what seemed to me at the time a really valid point. It is better to tolerate some parental discomfort to know that your child is safe. Having been a promiscuous teen myself, I understood the concept even more as I grew into adulthood. Our kids are going to do what they're going to do whether, or not we raised them to behave differently, or are comfortable with the reality of it.

I believe the most we can do as parents is our best to ensure their safety in life and hope the values we raised them with will stick and hold. 19 is not an unreasonable age to begin intercourse. Having a children that have enough trust in their parents to approach them with delicate topics is far better than having the surprise grandchild knock you out of your precious comfort zone.
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 pm

"Helicopter Mom Rents Hotel Room So Kid Can Lose His Virginity"

...what?
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu May 30, 2013 7:05 pm

i'm not seeing the horriblness here, kids 19, a hotel room is better than outdoors where they would get arrested, i have a small house, i dont want to hear it. i wouldnt be crazy about it, but i would probably do for my kid as well.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Eh, if my child came to me to ask me to provide suitable lodging, I'd be willing to help them out.

By then I'll probably own a car that's big enough anyway.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General