NATION

PASSWORD

Summer Solstice Pagan Festival has Pahokee residents outrage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:I try not to think about the remake or any movie with Nicolas Cage. I just sleep better at night.

Hey now, there *was* Leaving Las Vegas.
Last edited by Vetalia on Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

NVADF
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NVADF » Thu May 30, 2013 4:09 pm

People should be allowed to worship whatever they want.
About me: 19 years old, male, Canadian, Nerdy

If facebook went offline, 95% of teens would be mathematical proof that global warming is or is not abortion and something to do with creationism.
If you're one of the 5% who knows a fake statistic when they see a fake statistic, copy and paste this to your signature.
Science, Secularism, LGBT Rights, Chicago school of economics, Cultural liberalism, Individualism
Bigotry, Theocracy, Luddism, Keynesian economics, Social conservatism, Nationalism

Fellrike
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fellrike » Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 pm

These bigots give monotheists a bad name.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

That's religion for you: forever obsessed with control and power.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Czechanada wrote:That's religion for you: forever obsessed with control and power.

Uh, no. That's the religion of this Christian community. Not all religions ever.
Last edited by Vareiln on Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 pm

As someone who's actually been to pagan festivals, I can safely say that these people are completely fucking stupid. I think at some point I shall protest a Christian service on the grounds that it encourages cannibalism.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Rumostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumostan » Thu May 30, 2013 4:35 pm

It is always amusing to see how a dominant religious group acts when they think that they are being threatened. This has proved to be no exception. I say let the Pagans have some fun! After all, what is the worst that they can do? *sees people turn into frogs*
Senator Alex Johnson- Senator for The National Liberal Party and Senator for the constituency of Lüten (96)
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.26
Why don't you take a look at the nations fact book (still being completed) to get a taste of what it is like in the Sultanate?
I am a non practising Sunni Muslim
Lelouch is amazing and should be a god
I am a Conservative (UK)

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu May 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Rumostan wrote:It is always amusing to see how a dominant religious group acts when they think that they are being threatened. This has proved to be no exception. I say let the Pagans have some fun! After all, what is the worst that they can do? *sees people turn into frogs*

It's because religion is a business.

The churches don't want people spending money on this pagan festival when they could be tithing it.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu May 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Why do they want to hold their festival in Podunk anyway? This is exactly what they should have expected, so I think they probably did it on purpose to get publicity. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu May 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:As someone who's actually been to pagan festivals, I can safely say that these people are completely fucking stupid. I think at some point I shall protest a Christian service on the grounds that it encourages cannibalism.

A little off topic, but what were the pagan festivals like?
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

ThemSandFolk
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby ThemSandFolk » Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Let the Pagans have their tree huggings and orgies (that's what my Wiccan friend is into at least).

Those Church names are also hilarious.
Pro-Conservative Democrats.
Pro-Health Care.
Pro-Gun Rights.
Pro-Federal Government.
Pro-Legal Immigration.
Pro-Religion.
Pro-Regulated Economy.
Pro-Death Penalty.
Pro-Military...
Anti-Gay Marriage.
Anti-Racial/Handicap/Religious/Class Descrimination.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Rumostan wrote: what is the worst that they can do?

Burn virgins alive.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Rumostan wrote:It is always amusing to see how a dominant religious group acts when they think that they are being threatened. This has proved to be no exception. I say let the Pagans have some fun! After all, what is the worst that they can do? *sees people turn into frogs*

It's because religion is a business.

The churches don't want people spending money on this pagan festival when they could be tithing it.

No, religion is not universally a business.
Not all religions have churches or are organized, and even then, not all churches and organized religions are like that.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:As someone who's actually been to pagan festivals, I can safely say that these people are completely fucking stupid. I think at some point I shall protest a Christian service on the grounds that it encourages cannibalism.

University students dressed up like Germanic and Celtic pagans getting completely drunk.

Confederate States of California
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate States of California » Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm

To the Pagan community of Florida-

Hold the heathen hammer high!

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 pm

As someone who was raised in a fundie home and accused of witchcraft, I can safely say beyond a doubt these religious totalitarians are completely fucking stupid for opposing a pagan festival due to suspicions of witchcraft. This isn't the fucking dark ages anymore.

Uieurnthlaal
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Uieurnthlaal » Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 pm

This might be an odd religion, but aren't all religions that way?
Official Name : Hanruskë Vangareksau Vjörnatlalos

Language : Vjörnissa

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Luveria wrote:

As someone who was raised in a fundie home and accused of witchcraft, I can safely say beyond a doubt these religious totalitarians are completely fucking stupid for opposing a pagan festival due to suspicions of witchcraft. This isn't the fucking dark ages anymore.

It is honestly sad to see that Christians have been oppressing Pagans for centuries.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm

The Carlisle wrote:

Food, dancing, singing, some arts and crafts for the kids. The main events usually involved a fair bit of walking to the site, followed by standing around in a circle and singing, talk about the elements and the directions and nature and renewal. It was actually usually pretty fun, big, day-long celebrations with a ton of stuff to do (except for the winter solstice one, which we had to do inside because Wisconsin weather in the winter sucks).
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Freedom of religion at work folks.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

United Kingdom of Muffins
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Muffins » Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Luveria wrote:As someone who was raised in a fundie home and accused of witchcraft, I can safely say beyond a doubt these religious totalitarians are completely fucking stupid for opposing a pagan festival due to suspicions of witchcraft. This isn't the fucking dark ages anymore.

It is honestly sad to see that Christians have been oppressing Pagans for centuries.

I have no problem with them doing this, but when did Euro-Paganism come back? I mean I know about Indian and African paganism surving, but I thought the whole celtic thing died like a few thousand years ago.
Pope Muffins
"Pretty girls digging prettier women" The Who, 5:15, from the album Quadrophenia
"Has God forgotten what I have done for him?" Louis XIV Of France

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu May 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Itius wrote:Let us do our Festivals... we should be allowed to celebrate Alban Hefin or Beltane as much as they are allowed Easter or Christmas.

The funny thing being that Easter and Christmas have Pagan origins.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu May 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Luveria wrote:As someone who was raised in a fundie home and accused of witchcraft, I can safely say beyond a doubt these religious totalitarians are completely fucking stupid for opposing a pagan festival due to suspicions of witchcraft. This isn't the fucking dark ages anymore.

It's sad to see the Christians continue to oppress Pagans.

Mkuki wrote:Freedom of religion at work folks.

Freedom of my religion.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Because fuck freedom of religion.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm