NATION

PASSWORD

Have you ever changed someone's mind on NS?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:I don't know about anyone else's mind, but when i first came here, I was center right now I don't know what the fuck to think.

NSG has a weird way of pulling people to the left. When I came here I was a extreme-right Paulbot, now I'm only center-right.

Actually, it pulled me to the right a little. Not the righties convincing me, though - it was really the result of the extreme lefties scaring me away from them.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm

Divair wrote:I've seen some people change their views slightly without admitting it, but I haven't seen a major shift (ignoring certain people who are all over the place).

It's to make you believe they've changed and once you open your mind they shut it hard on you. :)
Fruition wrote:Wow. Do you think personally NS has set you in the right path, without any doubt?
Sassinia wrote:Yes.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Genivaria wrote:I remember that time that Cosara accidentally turned another Christian into an Atheist. :lol:
That was funny.
But I don't know if I'VE ever changed someone's mind about something.

Wait, that happened? LOL, link. I need to see this.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I remember that time that Cosara accidentally turned another Christian into an Atheist. :lol:
That was funny.

Can I see the link? :lol2:
Fruition wrote:Wow. Do you think personally NS has set you in the right path, without any doubt?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 pm

That was funny.

Fruition wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Wait, that happened? LOL, link. I need to see this.

I'll show the post but Idk if he minds me sharing it, so I'm marking out the name.
Name deleted wrote:
Cosara wrote:That's not how god sees things. He will punish you for acting Homosexual (IE, engaging in Homosexual Acts). Blacks aren't discriminated against in the Bible (there are verses against slavery). Women aren't discriminated against in the bible too terribly much.

... You know what?

I'm done. I'm so fucking done with religion.

I can't take this shite anymore.

I can't take the stupid fucking arguments anymore.

I can't take the fact I count Cosara among my intellectual equals.

The more I try to believe, the dumber I feel.

The more I read this shite, the more I feel my brain hemorraghing at the stupidity.

I'm fucking done.

Congratulations, Cosara, on being the worst Christian you can be. Fuck your stupid shit post. Fuck it.

As of this point, as of this post, I'm an atheist.

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Fruition wrote:

I'll show the post but Idk if he minds me sharing it, so I'm marking out the name.
Name deleted wrote:
... You know what?

The more I read this shite, the more I feel my brain hemorraghing at the stupidity.

I'm fucking done.

Congratulations, Cosara, on being the worst Christian you can be. Fuck your stupid shit post. Fuck it.

He came to his own senses.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri May 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Fruition wrote:Can I see the link? :lol2:

Name deleted wrote:... You know what?

I'm fucking done.

:lol2: Wow, fail Cosara, FAIL. Also, "aren't discriminated against in the Bible too terribly much"? Are we reading the same Bible?
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Antares XII
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Name deleted wrote:
... You know what?

I'm fucking done.

Might want to strike out those hyperlinks, if you're trying to keep people's names private. Just saying.

Edit: Like so.
Last edited by Antares XII on Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

I only posted in TET that one time I swear! I prefer intellectual discussions
Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Agnostic atheist and skeptical cynic
I do not identify as a person
Dark grey asexual

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

No, I haven't.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Antares XII wrote:
Genivaria wrote:

Might want to strike out those hyperlinks, if you're trying to keep people's names private. Just saying.

.....ohhh shit....too late. :oops:

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Antares XII wrote:
Genivaria wrote:

:rofl: :rofl:

I don't even.... I can't.... :lol: FAIL

Antares XII
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Fruition wrote:
Antares XII wrote:

It's like a virus or something! OH GOD MAKE IT STOP :o
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Dark grey asexual

Undivulged Principles
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Undivulged Principles » Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 pm

OP: Yes, several times and recently actions on MS has changed several of my friends opinions they held for many years.

However, most often trying to change someone's opinion in NS is akin trying to bang your head through a brick wall while having it strapped to a pillow.
- I could RP my big toe to be more powerful than your nation. That doesn't mean it applies in NS
~ Source? I'm not your mommy. Do your own homework. Not providing third party support for opinions. Don't believe look it up yourself, or not. Idc
~ democracy allows the least qualified to judge the most..

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri May 31, 2013 1:57 pm

Fruition wrote:
Antares XII wrote:

:rofl: This is funnier. :P

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Fruition wrote: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: This is funnier. :P

:p This is funnier.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Fruition wrote:

Name deleted wrote:
... You know what?

I'm fucking done.

1. What's the point of doing "name deleted" if we can click "wrote" and see who it was?
2. As he said, "Congratulations, Cosara". I almost think we should begin encouraging right-wing Christians to reverse-psychologically "weaponize" them.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Antares XII
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Phocidaea wrote:1. What's the point of doing "name deleted" if we can click "wrote" and see who it was?
2. As he said, "Congratulations, Cosara". I almost think we should begin encouraging right-wing Christians to reverse-psychologically "weaponize" them.

And thus the madness self-perpetuates... :p

Do I sense an F7 game in the making?

Dark grey asexual

Eleutheria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eleutheria » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 pm

So far the most commented changing of someone's mind on NSG was accidental, and extremely humorous, that is SO NSG :P
I am a libertarian and an atheist. Senator for The Libertarian Freedom Party.
The demonym of Eleutheria is Eleutheri, any references to "Eleutherians" will be treated with contempt

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri May 31, 2013 2:44 pm

I did make a devout (I use that term loosely) Lutheran admit Jesus was wrong just so I could be wrong.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Fri May 31, 2013 8:16 pm

I wonder how we've changed Rich Port's minds by now... :lol2:

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:NSG has a weird way of pulling people to the left. When I came here I was a extreme-right Paulbot, now I'm only center-right.

Actually, it pulled me to the right a little. Not the righties convincing me, though - it was really the result of the extreme lefties scaring me away from them.

That's actually probably it too for me.

The extreme-right wingers like Hippo scared me away.

I've also become much more socially liberal though.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 am

On my own? No. Have I been a participant in debates that resulted in someone changing their mind to agree with the side I was arguing? Yes.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:33 am

Well, I suppose NSG changed my mind on economic policies, which has gone from slightly pro-capitalist to economic interventionism.

All still somehow tied together with my tendency towards militaristic authoritarian states based on cultural nationalism and pride by, quite frankly, weird reasons that wouldn't be considered logical by about 95% of all people on NS, including me during one of my more rational moments.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 am

I might have. Somewhere.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General