NATION

PASSWORD

Current US debt, Too big to fix?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Asuiop
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Current US debt, Too big to fix?

Postby Asuiop » Tue May 28, 2013 9:03 am

The current US debt is $16.75 trillion and rising by an average of $2.85 billion dollars a day. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats are doing anything about it that could actually make a dent, since they both seem to be more interested in random social issues and scandals that pop up every couple monthes or so..
source:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
I am believing more and more that the libertarian way is really the only way out, either that or the republicans allowing the military to be cut.

What do you think?
Last edited by Asuiop on Tue May 28, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Unless hes ready to put some serious boot to ass, Hungry is fucked. Blobhemia, Austria, Switzerland, Britanny and whoever else gets cascaded. Thats a hell of an alliance to go against, especially because you know France will worm their way in too. They always do."
- Some random EU3 player

Join the UU(Unitarian Union) today! We are completely open region with our own centralized currency, the Unitaria! The only requirement is that you change your currency to the Unitaria.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

There was no deficit before the rich stopped paying their taxes.
http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.c ... aTWF0Avr-s

The solution is obvious.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Asuiop
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Asuiop » Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:There was no deficit before the rich stopped paying their taxes.

The solution is obvious.

That source says nothing of the sort.
"Unless hes ready to put some serious boot to ass, Hungry is fucked. Blobhemia, Austria, Switzerland, Britanny and whoever else gets cascaded. Thats a hell of an alliance to go against, especially because you know France will worm their way in too. They always do."
- Some random EU3 player

Join the UU(Unitarian Union) today! We are completely open region with our own centralized currency, the Unitaria! The only requirement is that you change your currency to the Unitaria.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am

Yes unless we vote for Zombie Andrew Jackson 2016. :p
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Azaflaza
Senator

Founded: Jun 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Azaflaza » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am

If you think your debt is bad consider this, in the whole history of britain only now have we managed to get ourselves in a debt higher than 1 trillion which tbh I found unbelievable and really characterised how bad the economy is now.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am

Asuiop wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:There was no deficit before the rich stopped paying their taxes.

The solution is obvious.

That source says nothing of the sort.

The bush tax cuts came into effect, and the rich stopped paying as many taxes. Suddenly, deficit.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Perseus Enterprises
Civil Servant

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Perseus Enterprises » Tue May 28, 2013 9:10 am

I think everyone is forgetting who's putting money in the politician's wallets.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue May 28, 2013 9:10 am

Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Asuiop
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Asuiop » Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Asuiop wrote:That source says nothing of the sort.

The bush tax cuts came into effect, and the rich stopped paying as many taxes. Suddenly, deficit.

Actually, I believe that is due to the Dot-com bubble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble
At least partly I mean
Last edited by Asuiop on Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Some random EU3 player

Gallifra
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifra » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 am

Nothing is to big to fix. However, it will definitely be difficult to fix a 16 trillion dollar debt.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 am

Asuiop wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

At least partly I mean

what you believe is not relevant to reality. Partly? Sure. But you don't get a surplus that large and completely reverse it with an economic bubble.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 am

Pretty much this. Reverting taxes to Clinton levels, closing loopholes while cutting from the military, and cutting off PMCs and other contractors is the most reasonable and effective way. Where as the libertarian style is as ass-backwards as telling someone not to spend money on food anymore.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Firmador
Minister

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

Actually, the Deficiet doesn't matter for shit.

The Deficiet Limit is a tool for Republican rhetoric.

It has /no/ economic bearing AT ALL.

U.S. is going to collapse because of debt?

No.

U.S. is going to have to have a higher rate of growth or (more likely) will have to raise taxes (or lower spending) to pay for the debt?

Yes.

Japan has a 200% GDP-Debt ratio.

It'll be okay, lassies, quit being proles and educate yo'elves!

Asuiop
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Asuiop » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

Gallifra wrote:Nothing is to big to fix. However, it will definitely be difficult to fix a 16 trillion dollar debt.

almost 17 trillion
- Some random EU3 player

Asuiop
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Asuiop » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

Death Metal wrote:

Pretty much this. Reverting taxes to Clinton levels, closing loopholes while cutting from the military, and cutting off PMCs and other contractors is the most reasonable and effective way. Where as the libertarian style is as ass-backwards as telling someone not to spend money on food anymore.

By libertarian style I mean the massive cuts to the government(specifically the military). It also calls for lower business taxes but I think that would be neutralized by the huge cuts.
- Some random EU3 player

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

Don't look at the raw number.

Look at the GDP to debt ratio and look at the interest rate on the bonds.

There are two points which signify problems. point 1, debt to GDP ratio greater than 100%, and 2 interest rates greater than 6%.

On point 1 we are between 75 and 90 % of the GDP.
On point 2 30 year T bills give about 3%.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Solsteim
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Solsteim » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

Stated democrat position: raise taxes, raise spending.
Stated republican position: cut spending, cut taxes.
Real position of both parties: cut taxes, increase spending.
The only way to fix the US economy is to end the bush tax cuts (maybe even increases taxes from before then), cut the military budget massively, transition to universal healthcare (the US pays more in healthcare per person than any other country) and end the war on drugs, and start regulating and taxing currently illicit recreational drugs.

The reason i didn't suggest any public service cuts is because we tried that in the UK, it's not working.
Male, British,
Pro: Universal healthcare, left wing economics, civil liberties, representative democracy, Atheism, choice, rehabilitation, science, Nuclear, solar and wave power, LGTB
Meh: Interventionist foreign policy, EU, monarchy, patriotism
Against: feminism, immigration, death penalty, conspiracy theorists, authoritarianism, first past the post, political correctness, discrimination, censorship, fascism, Thatcherism, fossil fuels, fundamentalism, nationalism, religion, circumcision
Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08
My nation represents my own opinions where possible.
Everything by me is written in British English, because I am not an American!

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

Firmador wrote:
U.S. is going to collapse because of debt?

No.

It could, only because of the asinine debt ceiling.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

Asuiop wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

By libertarian style I mean the massive cuts to the government(specifically the military). It also calls for lower business taxes but I think that would be neutralized by the huge cuts.

You can't realistically get lower than zero, which is what some pay already.
Ostro.MOV

Firmador
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

greed and death wrote:Don't look at the raw number.

Look at the GDP to debt ratio and look at the interest rate on the bonds.

There are two points which signify problems. point 1, debt to GDP ratio greater than 100%, and 2 interest rates greater than 6%.

On point 1 we are between 75 and 90 % of the GDP.
On point 2 30 year T bills give about 3%.

Don't try to explain it to people on G.

I've tried before.

They're generally to stupid, it's more aggravating than serves for their own edification.

Prince-Bishopric Of Liege
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prince-Bishopric Of Liege » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

Of course it can be fixed. It's only going to cost a hell of a lot and take some time. But as a proud European I unveil thee the secret to a balanced budget: "Cuts, cuts, austerity, budgetary discipline and investment on growth. Apply to satisfaction."

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 am

Death Metal wrote:

Your describing the libertarian style. We were calling for cuts to the military while almost all the Democrats in Congress voted to give Bush a blank check for Afghanistan and Iraq.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 am

Prince-Bishopric Of Liege wrote:Of course it can be fixed. It's only going to cost a hell of a lot and take some time. But as a proud European I unveil thee the secret to a balanced budget: "Cuts, cuts, austerity, budgetary discipline and investment on growth. Apply to satisfaction."

Show anywhere this has worked.
Ostro.MOV

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 am

Asuiop wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

At least partly I mean

Blaming it on the dot-com bubble seems rather illogical when you consider that current big .coms are hundreds of times more successful than pre-bust .coms ever were.

Firmador
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Tue May 28, 2013 9:18 am

You guys do realize that the major contributors to the debt were:

Afghan
AND
Iraq
Wars

AND
!BUSH!