NATION

PASSWORD

The Philippines: The 51st U.S. State... I mean 49th State!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If circumstances were different would you like the Philippines to be the 51st U.S. state?

I'm Filipino and I feel that it's an evil culmination of American Imperialism
6%
I'm American and I feel that it's an evil culmination of American Imperialism
19%
I'm British and I feel that it's an evil culmination of American Imperialism
13%
I'm Filipino and I think that it's a damn good idea to make the nation the 51st U.S. state.
4%
I'm American and I think... Yeshh!! Woohooo more territory for us! Glory to Lady Liberty!
37%
I'm British and and I think it's a good idea. Britain can be the 52nd U.S. State.
3%
I'm not British-American-Filipino and I think it's a horrible idea
13%
I'm not British-American-Filipino and I think it's a great idea. My own country can become the 53rd U.S. state. :D
5%

Total votes : 222

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:37 am

Smoya wrote:I am an American Fillipino, and I am not in favor of this.

/thread

Why?

/thread.
Generation 33 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 am

Mayane wrote:49th? Atleast do it correct.. there are 46 States, 4 Commonwealths. So that would make it the 5th Commonwealth or the 47th State.

Woa this sh_t only get better and better. I thought it was the 51st state at first, then it became the 49th and now the 46th? We had a head start at the statehood queue. :p Hawaii, eat your heart out.
Last edited by The Islands of Metanoia on Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Generation 33 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Urcea
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Urcea » Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 am

Kershya wrote:
The Spiral Future wrote:
A red state then I would imagine.

I doubt it, personally. A majority Catholic with a Muslim minority, somewhat tolerant of homosexuals to a degree. The city folk are pro-capitalism, the countryside are more pro-regulation. I would doubt it being a red state, maybe a swing state though.

Filipino talking here.

That'd be a hell of a campaign trip.
The Federal Republic of Urcea
President| Brianna Johnson
National Ideology| National Democracy
National Info/Links| Factbook, NSEconomy, Roman Catholic Church

Central and Eastern Visayas
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Central and Eastern Visayas » Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 am

Okay, now with the serious stuff:

I'm pretty sure Pinoy (by which I mean Philippine Low) Culture would give even America's most...extreme...personalities a complete pain in the ass (canister of body spray optional), and as far as I'm concerned, our High Culture is next to unknown!
If believing in God means I am less than human in the eyes of some, fine; I will wear my yellow badge with pride.

TIMEZONE: GMT +8
1. In a gunless society, the strong prey on the weak with utter impunity.
2. Yes, I'm a Roman Catholic from the Philippines. And I know how much ass PH sucks at the moment.
3. Bastard with ADHD. Yep.
4. PDAF can go to hell!
Economic Left/Right: 6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Or: This.

Kershya
Minister

Founded: Jan 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kershya » Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 am

Think of the possible alternate timeline here.

Philippines becomes the 49th state.

America focuses on Asia for trade.

Japan may or may not join the Axis to prevent possible attack from the American bases down south.

If Japan joins the Axis the attack on Pearl Harbor may or may not happen due to the more obvious American invasion point from the State of the Philippines. It might be the Invasion of the Philippines instead of the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

Then the Cold War.

If China became red, then South East Asia would become either a flashpoint or a more successful SEATO (South East Asian Trade Organization, pretty much NATO).

The Vietnam War might have been a South Vietnam victory.

South East Asia would then have communist insurgents instead of Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia go red.

The Khmer Rogue wouldn't have happen.

Burma might never have a military junta.

There might have been a Philippine Missile Crisis.

A part of mainland China might actually go to Taiwan.

The possibilities are endless.
Full Name:
The United Nine Constitutional Monarchies of Kershya

Economy

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:51 am

Rumostan wrote:Is today look at the Wikipedia page about the 51st state and make a thread about it day?

This thread is a contrast to the British one. Unlike the insanely unrealistic the British as 51st U.S. state discussion over at the other side. This is the sanely realistic Philippines as 51st no... 49th no... 47th state discussion.

The difference is that this one has depth and historical content while the other side is full of jingoistic self-worship masquerading as fantastic questions ^_^

Come join us. We have sense I mean cookies. Just check your browser settings. :lol:
Last edited by The Islands of Metanoia on Tue May 28, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 am

Central and Eastern Visayas wrote:
The Islands of Metanoia wrote:
I think the Protestant states of the US would immediately be inundated with Catholic missionaries as they struggle against hope trying to repel the attacks of the religious orders (There's so freaking many of them here) Order of Saint Augustine, Order of Preachers, the Society of the Divine Word, the Jesuit Order, the Knights of Columbus, the Knights of Malta, the Confraternity of Saint Joseph...

:shock:

Alabama would by praying the Ave Marias faster than a rat skimmers through the barn alley.

As a Filipino Catholic, five words:

Can you spell Zerg Rush? :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I like you. You're funny. I'm gonna add you in my friendslist. :lol2:

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am

Saiwania wrote:If the Philippines was a state, I wouldn't approve of it mainly because of Mindanao. I would want that majority Muslim area to be militarily pacified to where there is no ongoing insurgency or conflict. If there was any part of a state which is rebellious, I'd question why that situation isn't resolved or whether the US should abandon all or part of the Philippines in favor of granting it independence.

Over that do you think they should abandon the Philippines? :rofl: :rofl: They went to war with Mexico just to gain Texas. Islamic insurgents would just be some fly to squat compared to the Mexican-American War.
Last edited by The Islands of Metanoia on Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 am

The Islands of Metanoia wrote:Scratch that...

We welcome our new president. Her Imeldific majesty, Irene Marcos! Dynast-Presidentress for Lolz.

Oh, dear God, really?

Damn, really. the Uited Philippine-American country shall defer to her as her Imeldific Majesty since the political dynasties has all but turned the families here into but unofficial noble families.

Central and Eastern Visayas
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Central and Eastern Visayas » Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 am

Saiwania wrote:If the Philippines was a state, I wouldn't approve of it mainly because of Mindanao. I would want that majority Muslim area to be militarily pacified to where there is no ongoing insurgency or conflict. If there was any part of a state which is rebellious, I'd question why that situation isn't resolved or whether the US should abandon all or part of the Philippines in favor of granting it independence.

Over that do you think they should abandon the Philippines? :rofl: :rofl: They went to war with Mexico just to gain Texas. Islamic insurgents would just some fly to squat compared to the Mexican-American War.

You forget the Communist insurgency and its legal fronts masquerading as (ultra)nationalist organizations.
If believing in God means I am less than human in the eyes of some, fine; I will wear my yellow badge with pride.

TIMEZONE: GMT +8
1. In a gunless society, the strong prey on the weak with utter impunity.
2. Yes, I'm a Roman Catholic from the Philippines. And I know how much ass PH sucks at the moment.
3. Bastard with ADHD. Yep.
4. PDAF can go to hell!
Economic Left/Right: 6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Or: This.

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 am

Urcea wrote:
Kershya wrote:
I doubt it, personally. A majority Catholic with a Muslim minority, somewhat tolerant of homosexuals to a degree. The city folk are pro-capitalism, the countryside are more pro-regulation. I would doubt it being a red state, maybe a swing state though.

Filipino talking here.

He forgot to mention the Communist Rebel Groups prowling the hinterlands. :lol:

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:10 am

Central and Eastern Visayas wrote:Okay, now with the serious stuff:

I'm pretty sure Pinoy (by which I mean Philippine Low) Culture would give even America's most...extreme...personalities a complete pain in the ass (canister of body spray optional), and as far as I'm concerned, our High Culture is next to unknown!

Oh contraire' Philippine High-Culture is genuine. Unlike theirs. And once, ours is known... Like the Royal Dance of the Sulu Sultanate's Kulintao

Or the Rigodon de Honor in Malacanang and even the Barong Tagalog...

We Would completely demolish their cultural wasteland of nation as we teach them what true culture is.

Long had they been content with stealing commandeering (stealing is politically incorrect) from everyone else's culture and claiming it as their own.

American Pizza? - Italians Invented It...
Hamburger? From the Germans...
All thes,e as they mouth a language from Britain...

You get my point. Kababayan. :D
Last edited by The Islands of Metanoia on Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rumostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumostan » Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 am

Rumostan wrote:Is today look at the Wikipedia page about the 51st state and make a thread about it day?

This thread is a contrast to the British one. Unlike the insanely unrealistic the British as 51st U.S. state discussion over at the other side. This is the sanely realistic Philippines as 51st no... 49th no... 47th state discussion.

The difference is that this one has depth and historical content while the other side is full of jingoistic self-worship masquerading as fantastic questions ^_^

Come join us. We have sense I mean cookies. Just check your browser settings. :lol:

No, I mean that in one day two of these have been made and I do remember a Wikipedia page with these on it.
Senator Alex Johnson- Senator for The National Liberal Party and Senator for the constituency of Lüten (96)
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.26
Why don't you take a look at the nations fact book (still being completed) to get a taste of what it is like in the Sultanate?
I am a non practising Sunni Muslim
Lelouch is amazing and should be a god
I am a Conservative (UK)

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

Over that do you think they should abandon the Philippines? :rofl: :rofl: They went to war with Mexico just to gain Texas. Islamic insurgents would just some fly to squat compared to the Mexican-American War.

You forget the Communist insurgency and its legal fronts masquerading as (ultra)nationalist organizations.

The Viva la Revolucion' days of the Marcos era are over. When will these groups just move on? :unsure:

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 am

I would approve of the Philippines being in the US, pinays are hot.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 am

Rumostan wrote:

No, I mean that in one day two of these have been made and I do remember a Wikipedia page with these on it.

Ah ok. I see. Tehee I was speaking under a different sense and shade of communication.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue May 28, 2013 9:22 am

Luziyca wrote:I would support the Nationalists on that one, since it was a good move for the Phillipines. After all, they spared themselves the worst of American domination, at the low low price, of Marcos, a puppet of the USA.

Also, you meant 49th state. :p

WTH? You mean that during that time, we applied to be the 49th state not the 51st? :? I am once again surprised with Philippine History.

Alaska and Hawaii became states in 1959.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 am

Central and Eastern Visayas wrote:Okay, now with the serious stuff:

We Would completely demolish their cultural wasteland of nation as we teach them what true culture is.

Long had they been content with stealing from everyone else's culture and claiming it as their own.

All these as they mouth a language from Britain...

We didn't steal it, immigrants brought it here out of their own will, adding to the repository of American culture. Also, most American pizza is nothing like original Italian pizza.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:26 am

Geilinor wrote:
WTH? You mean that during that time, we applied to be the 49th state not the 51st? :? I am once again surprised with Philippine History.

Alaska and Hawaii became states in 1959.

And they became states only after the Philippines became a U.S. territory in 1899. The Philippines was already a U.S. territory while Hawaii was still a monarchy and Alaska belonged to Russia. :ugeek:

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 am

Geilinor wrote:

Long had they been content with stealing from everyone else's culture and claiming it as their own.

All these as they mouth a language from Britain...

We didn't steal it, immigrants brought it here out of their own will, adding to the repository of American culture. Also, most American pizza is nothing like original Italian pizza.

Ok steal is a strongly worded term. More like, commandeered or attributed to. :lol:
Pardon my fits of insanity. My cultural sensitivities lends me to random boughts of Amok when it comes to these sort of things.

The Islands of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Metanoia » Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 am

What I don't understand however is the status of the islands dotting the pacific. They're U.S. territories but some areas like Guam have populations larger than entire U.S. states themselves but are not declared as states. So what does the US do with them?

No to Taxation without representation! To borrow from a cry of the American revolution.

A taxation without representation which they even now gleefuly apply to Guam and other U.S. territories in the Pacific.
Last edited by The Islands of Metanoia on Tue May 28, 2013 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zokoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zokoria » Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 am

What the Philippines need is that it should have been a territory of the United States, so that it wouldn't end up like the right-wing, homophobic, extremely religious country that it is today. A Philippine statehood, however, would seem impossible because of the large population.

Either way, I would prefer the Southern US states and Poland over the Philippines in my opinion.
Last edited by Zokoria on Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Senator Markus Zokos
Constituency 84 (Weisen)
Proud Member of the New Democrats
Ambassador to the Progressive Monarchist Party
Nation does not reflect real life views.
Please note that Zokoria is undergoing a major revamp in roleplaying.

Moderate leftist and MLP/anime fanboy FTW
The Republic of Zokoria
Esquarium's homophobic, bigoted, right-wing freedom-loving nation with a big heart

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue May 28, 2013 9:47 am

The Islands of Metanoia wrote: some areas like Guam have populations larger than entire U.S. states themselves but are not declared as states. So what does the US do with them?

No, they don't. Guam has 182,111 people. Alaska, the least populated state, has over 700,000 people. Guam's main purpose is as a location for a military base.

Apto
Minister

Founded: Jan 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Apto » Tue May 28, 2013 10:02 am

Zokoria wrote:What the Philippines need is that it should have been a territory of the United States, so that it wouldn't end up like the right-wing, homophobic, extremely religious country that it is today. A Philippine statehood, however, would seem impossible because of the large population.

Either way, I would prefer the Southern US states and Poland over the Philippines in my opinion.

I'm not really all that informed about politics and what not but I can assure you the Philippines is not homophobic, if we were then there wouldn't be gay and lesbian actors and actresses who are pretty big on the showbiz industry. Even in the countryside homos are accepted.

And extremely religious? Wow, if we were extremely religious then I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have homos walking in broad daylight with us.

Really, where did you get the homophobic part? Because I can assure you that we are anything but homophobic.

Trust me, I live there.
There is morality on the circumference of the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!

Previously, on "Bad Things Happening To Lovable Little Girls"....
- Flukes

New Ashford
Secretary

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ashford » Tue May 28, 2013 10:17 am

Urcea wrote:

He forgot to mention the Communist Rebel Groups prowling the hinterlands. :lol:

You mean the group that almost everyone hate?

On Kansas enacting "life starts at fertilization" abortion law
Ainin wrote:
Luziyca wrote:This is where I am glad to live in Canada, and ashamed I have to live on the same continent as those guys.

BILL C-294: ON CANADIAN RIGHTS

The Government of Canada,
ASTOUNDED at the stupidity of our neighbors to the south,
CONCERNED about the death of brain cells in Canadian residents caused by Fox News
HEREBY secedes from North America and joins Europe

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General