NATION

PASSWORD

Spanking... a two sided argument

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Reichsland wrote:
Yes, but I have no legal authority over that person.

Yes, but you said there was no law against spanking. There is. Just like the law against murder. So why can't I murder my kid? Oh yes, because we have to draw a line. Preferably before long term negative effects set in. This is why spanking is bad.

Actually, all assault laws I'm aware of here in the states do not include spanking a child in the definition of assault, FYI.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Ovisterra wrote:
The countless studies that say things like "long term negative effects on children's development, intelligence and mental health" seem like reasons to me.

No it's not. That's why it's not a crime to let them watch television.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

The best way to teach kids to deal with their problems is with violence, and the constant fear of being physically assaulted is definitely good for their psyches.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Reichsland wrote:

Yes, but you said there was no law against spanking. There is. Just like the law against murder. So why can't I murder my kid? Oh yes, because we have to draw a line. Preferably before long term negative effects set in. This is why spanking is bad.

No. Reliance on physical punishment is bad. Using spanking in a responsible manner has proven to be fine.

Reichsland
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Reichsland » Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Reichsland wrote:

Fair enough, allow me to rephrase that. There is no law against spanking my child. Like I said, you shouldn't go around spanking and hitting your child for every little thing.
Demonym: Landser
Wilderosian War
Hakaan Civil War
Lauaj War
{5.Peace}
4.High Alert
3.Mobilization
2.War
1.Nuclear War

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 am

Ovisterra wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if you go out into the street, grab a random stranger and start enthusiastically smacking their ass, you'll be arrested.

If you grab a stranger and start wiping their ass you'll be arrested. You cannot compare the interaction between a caregiver and a child in their care to that between two random people.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 am

Chetssaland wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:Hey, what happens between consenting adults is none of-

Oh. Right. That kind of spanking. I don't see why being a kid's parent means you're suddenly allowed to assault them.

The problem with these threads is that they inevitably devolve into

anecdotal evidence, as we can see here.

Well there is other evidence too.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2001/08/24_spank.html

If you want this to devolve into linkposting, I'm happy to do so.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111109.htm
http://pediatrics.jwatch.org/cgi/conten ... 2012/815/3
http://apsa.org/About_APsaA/Position_St ... hment.aspx
http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/ ... hment.aspx
Last edited by Ovisterra on Mon May 27, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 am

Reichsland wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Fair enough, allow me to rephrase that. There is no law against spanking my child.

There's your problem.

Galloism wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Actually, all assault laws I'm aware of here in the states do not include spanking a child in the definition of assault, FYI.

No shit.

The person I was replying to, however, said there was no law against spanking at all.

Des-Bal wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if you go out into the street, grab a random stranger and start enthusiastically smacking their ass, you'll be arrested.

If you grab a stranger and start wiping their ass you'll be arrested. You cannot compare the interaction between a caregiver and a child in their care to that between two random people.

Do try to read my posts:

Ovisterra wrote:
Reichsland wrote:

Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 am

You don't want anecdotal evidence and you don't want a source. What is this thread supposed to be then?

And you consider posting a source devolving the thread? I consider appeals to emotion and equating spanking with murder and medieval torture devolution.

EDIT: And to actually address your sources (something you didn't do for mine, by the way)...

The first is about corporal punishment in schools. Quite different from parental spanking. The second one requires you to have an account on the site. The third and fourth focus on the use of physical punishment alone. Obviously slapping a child and walking away is the wrong way to go. But using physical punishment and then reassuring them you are not mad at them and still love them, and telling them what they did wrong has proven to be an effective method of punishment.
Last edited by Chetssaland on Mon May 27, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 am

Ovisterra wrote:Yes, but you said there was no law against spanking. There is. Just like the law against murder. So why can't I murder my kid? Oh yes, because we have to draw a line. Preferably before long term negative effects set in. This is why spanking is bad.

There is a law against wiping a random persons ass. If you're going to talk in terms of the law it really helps to have the law on your side. If we're deciding that potentially negative long term effects is the line in the sand let's ban television, let's arrest every parent who doesn't put their child into a team sport, and god save the poor bastard who misses a family dinner.

Reichsland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Reichsland » Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Frisivisia wrote:The best way to teach kids to deal with their problems is with violence, and the constant fear of being physically assaulted is definitely good for their psyches.

Your assuming that my child lives in constant fear of being spanked, even though he might only get spanked three times a year at the most.
Wilderosian War
Hakaan Civil War
Lauaj War
{5.Peace}
4.High Alert
3.Mobilization
2.War
1.Nuclear War

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon May 27, 2013 8:35 am

Reichsland wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:The best way to teach kids to deal with their problems is with violence, and the constant fear of being physically assaulted is definitely good for their psyches.

Your assuming that my child lives in constant fear of being spanked, even though he might only get spanked three times a year at the most.

If he's afraid of doing bad things for fear of being hit, he's in constant fear.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Mon May 27, 2013 8:36 am

I managed to get twelve lines into the OP before starting to laugh.

Yahoo answers?

wow

Reichsland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Reichsland » Mon May 27, 2013 8:41 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Reichsland wrote:

If he's afraid of doing bad things for fear of being hit, he's in constant fear.

If my son does something that he knows he shouldn't have done, then he should expect some sort of consequence. I don't spank him for every little thing, only when he does something really bad. Usually time out and grounding suffice.
Wilderosian War
Hakaan Civil War
Lauaj War
{5.Peace}
4.High Alert
3.Mobilization
2.War
1.Nuclear War

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 am

Children should be seen and not heard.

Whatever one does to ensure that is acceptable. *nods*
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 am

Reichsland wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:If he's afraid of doing bad things for fear of being hit, he's in constant fear.

If my son does something that he knows he shouldn't have done, then he should expect some sort of consequence. I don't spank him for every little thing, only when he does something really bad. Usually time out and grounding suffice.

Exactly, that's why we torture prisoners... Oh, wait.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Reichsland wrote:

That's quite the accusation right there. Got anything to back that up?

Bear in mind we're talking about a child who is spanked "three times a year at the most," not a child in an abusive family who is violently hit on a regular basis.

Cashewbutter
Envoy

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cashewbutter » Mon May 27, 2013 10:36 am

The point of punishment is to deter the action that triggers it because the person doesn't like the consequences of that action. That could be considered fear of the consequence. All punishments, whether physical or not, work that way, so to say spanking is bad because it causes fear but other punishments are okay makes no sense.

"Constant fear" only occurs when the punishments are unpredictable or otherwise inappropriately applied. Though this is anecdotal, I did NOT fear my father because he occasionally spanked me. I knew exactly what actions would lead to a spanking and why, both from prior experience and because he'd give me a verbal warning first. The punishment was easy to avoid by stopping whatever bratty thing I was doing.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon May 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Quelesh wrote:I'm opposed to violence. The victim's youth does not justify violence against them. I think that violence against children is acceptable under the exact same circumstances in which violence against adults is acceptable - no more and no less.

Children are not adults. Children do not understand things in the way that adults do, they don't appreciate the long term harm of their actions on themselves others or society as a whole. What they can understand is "do what I say because I said it." Give them the carrot and the stick until their old enough to understand more mature motivations. If that requires spanking, then spank them if it doesn't then that's great.

Of course, some children understand things better than others do. Regardless, the fact that "children are not adults" does not justify hitting them. Sure, it's justified to yank their hand away from a hot stove, or to pull them back from walking out into traffic, or to hold them down if they're trying to beat the crap out of someone else, but it's equally justified to do the same thing to adults under the same circumstances.

It's just as justified to use necessary violence against children in order to prevent damage to persons or property as it is to use the same necessary violence against adults for the same reason. What's not justified is "I'm going to hit you because I think you were disrespectful to me" or "I'm going to hit you because you used a word I don't like" or "I'm going to hit you because you were making fun of your sister."

Costa Alegria wrote:
New haven america wrote:Well you don't have to fucking hit them unless they've done something really bad.

Like run across a road for example, or bite some kid's thumb and refuse to let go.

If anyone, child or adult, is running out into traffic, it's justified to reach out and yank them back. If anyone, child or adult, is biting onto someone else's thumb and not letting go, it's justified to use the minimum level of physical force necessary to make them let go. None of this justifies hitting children in circumstances in which hitting adults would not also be justified.

Ailiailia wrote:Physical pain is a natural consequence of doing certain "wrong" things ... things which are physically harmful to yourself. For these things, it's a great teacher. For instance, if you burn your hand on a hot stove, you're a lot more cautious next time you're around the stove.

Where it's not an effective teacher is where the recipient doesn't know what they did, which led to the pain. So for instance, what does a person learn from the pain of appendicitis? Nothing they did or didn't do led to the appendix fucking up. It teaches nothing, it's just miserable.

This is a good point. I would expand on this by saying that there's a difference between natural consequences and unnatural consequences. The pain of burning your hand on something hot is a natural consequence, and can be a valuable learning experience.

To use another example, if you make fun of your sister, you will alienate her from you. She won't like you as much, won't want to spend time around you, won't be inclined to help you when you need it, etc. That's a natural consequence of making fun of her, and most people, including most children, can pick up on these natural consequences. Being hit and humiliated by much bigger people, however, is an artificial, contrived consequence, and doesn't really teach anything except that it's okay to hurt people physically to make them do what you want them to do.

Threlizdun wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:Well, most people know the difference between a spanking and assault.

And that difference would be? Spanking an adult would count as assault in any criminal court. The only exception here is that the victim is a child.

Exactly. There are no circumstances in which violence against a person is justified only because that person is a child and would not be justified if that person were an adult.

Des-Bal wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:And that difference would be? Spanking an adult would count as assault in any criminal court. The only exception here is that the victim is a child.

Putting an adult on time out would constitute unlawful imprisonment. The exception here is that the victim is YOUR child.

Children don't belong to their parents.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Reichsland wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:Putting an adult on time out would constitute unlawful imprisonment. The exception here is that the victim is YOUR child.

This^

Taking away an adult human's belongings would constitute theft. So by using this logic any way you punish your child would be considered a crime. Why do you hate discipline so much?

I oppose the use of violence and coercion against others, no matter their age.

Reichsland wrote:
Battenburgia wrote:great way to teach children that people might do want you want if you threaten them with violence

Not really. When you spank a child, you make sure they know why they are being spanked. You don't just go around threatening to spank them for every little thing.

You could do the same thing before hitting an adult, but the fact that the adult knows what they did that you don't like wouldn't justify hitting them. Hitting teaches that the use of violence to get what you want is acceptable. Violence begets violence.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Discipline is important. While I don't see any serious harm in spanking, I'm convinced it can be substituted for a less 'hand-on' approach.

The 12 Dimensions of Jesse Anderson
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 12 Dimensions of Jesse Anderson » Mon May 27, 2013 4:18 pm

My first post and it's a damn spanking comment.

Spanking is great only for the ladies who enjoy it. In other cases, it ain't good.

And I saw what ya did with that title.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon May 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Quelesh wrote:
You could do the same thing before hitting an adult, but the fact that the adult knows what they did that you don't like wouldn't justify hitting them. Hitting teaches that the use of violence to get what you want is acceptable. Violence begets violence.

And if you put them on time out they'll start kidnapping people.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 pm

The 12 Dimensions of Jesse Anderson wrote:My first post and it's a damn spanking comment.

Spanking is great only for the ladies who enjoy it. In other cases, it ain't good.

Or for the non-ladies who enjoy it. As long as it's wanted it's all good. When it's unwanted is when it strays into unfortunate territory. Some people in this thread say that unwanted spanking is okay, but only if the recipient of the unwanted spanking is a child.

The 12 Dimensions of Jesse Anderson
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 12 Dimensions of Jesse Anderson » Mon May 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Quelesh wrote:
The 12 Dimensions of Jesse Anderson wrote:My first post and it's a damn spanking comment.

Or for the non-ladies who enjoy it. As long as it's wanted it's all good. When it's unwanted is when it strays into unfortunate territory. Some people in this thread say that unwanted spanking is okay, but only if the recipient of the unwanted spanking is a child.

Nah man. Ya got to want to be spanked. Otherwise, as I said, it ain't good for none. Growns or children. The physical and emotional damage caused it's shit. I'm sorry for those who say so. This is the 21st century for God's shake!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General