NATION

PASSWORD

Spanking... a two sided argument

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
North Posidia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Spanking... a two sided argument

Postby North Posidia » Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 pm

before we start I want to say I know we've already been through this countless times but this thread has to the other threads didn't ... Pictures

[img] http://img.chinasmack.com/www/wp-conten ... duster.jpg[ /img]

before I force my opinion about this topic let's look at some of the arguments from both sides

first pro-Spank

When a child misbehaves, explaining what they did wrong and why it
was wrong (in an age-appropriate way) is one essential part of
teaching proper behavior. Following through with punishment for the
misbehavior is the other, equally essential, part. Whatever methods of
punishment are used, it must be given calmly rather than out of anger
or frustration. Following those rules, spanking is simply one of the
most effective punishment methods for most children.

-Jamie from Yahoo Answers

I am going to respond to this at the risk of being slaughtered by all the
anti-spanking people but it's all a matter of how you go about it.
I do not think spanking qualifies as abuse. And if you don't want Bible I
won't give you any (although there are some very good chapters on the
subject.) I think hitting your child, yelling at him/her, and walking away
is not the way to go about it. That could cause confusion about
whether or not it's ok to hit etc. If my child misbehaves, I will take him
to the bathroom or another secluded spot and spank him once or twice
and explain to him that he has done wrong. I do not believe in hitting a
child in front of anyone else and making him feel humiliated. But I will
also sit with him and tell him I love you afterward and give him a hug
and make sure he understands that I am not still mad at him...he just
needs to change his behavior. If I am too angry to spank him properly
without yelling, I'll tell him to wait in the bathroom while I cool down. I
think the "abuse" theory comes in when people just hit there child
wherever they can reach (which I will not do) and sit and yell at their
child while they cry and walk away angry. If you can spank your child,
and still show them love afterward, I think it makes a world of
difference.
Granted I wouldn't spank for every little offense and I think there are
other punishments that can change your child's behavior...I am not
against any of those. I have seen this spank/love method work for
many a child and they are all respectful well behaved children (though
not perfect of course) and all of them are extremely close with their
parents and siblings. There is definitely no lack of love or permanent
psychological damage or anything like that.
Anyway, point is that spanking can really help your child see where he
is wrong where other punishments may be ignored. And I don't see
anything wrong with it as long as it is done with love instead of anger.

-? From Yahoo Answers

Timid, approval-seeking kids are usually good with a time-out. But there
are some children who like to push their limits. Those are the children
who may require a pop. Knowing your child is the key to nailing down the
most effective forms of discipline. While some studies have shown the
negative effects of spanking, today’s disrespectful youth have shown
what happens when necessary spanking is forgone. Controlled,
purposeful spanking is not abuse. Impulsive spanking out of anger and
frustration is abusive. Believe it or not, it is not unrealistic to teach a child
to obey the first time—tough but not impossible.

If you’re not spanking and you have a child who is testing you time and
time again, you may want to consider picking out a switch before he (or
she) ends up on Beyond Scared Straight

- madamenoire.com

and now anti-spanking

http://www.phdinparenting.com/blog/2008 ... urces.html enough said

My opinion? I have to agree with Jamie. As long as you spank out of love and disipline and not anger the.kid should be fine as long as you dont spank for every little thing.

So it is your turn. Make your argument and state your position.

And please try to be civil(YEA RIGHT)
Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your signiture on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
1900 Albania
Total Population: 52,410,330

Head of State/Government: President Ryo Ondre Kurkuando
Vice-President: Vice-President Yoko Wang
Military: 1,559,000
Army: 547,600
Navy: 513,910
Air Force: 406,420
Secret Police: 91,070
my Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
[x]1.Peace[/color]
[]2.International Tenion[/color]
[]3.Preparing for War[/color]
[]4.At War[/color]
[]5.Nuclear Holocaust Or Biological/Chemical Warfare[/color]

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun May 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I do not believe that parents have the right to do physical harm to their children.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun May 26, 2013 6:07 pm

I support spanking. I was spanked, and I turned out fine.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Sun May 26, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Spanking is really quite twentieth century. I personally chain my children to a post in the cellar, lock the door, and come by every Tuesday to offer some stale bread and water - that'll teach them.

But no, I am very much against spanking and corporal punishment in general.
I frequently use dark humor and sarcasm. Don't take anything I say seriously. Unless it is.

Actually a puppet of an older player that's been here too long for her own good.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun May 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Insane Kidney Mentality wrote:Spanking is really quite twentieth century. I personally chain my children to a post in the cellar, lock the door, and come by every Tuesday to offer some stale bread and water - that'll teach them.

Well, it's probably not going to become illegal anytime soon. Even if it is made illegal, parents will still do it.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Insane Kidney Mentality wrote:Spanking is really quite twentieth century. I personally chain my children to a post in the cellar, lock the door, and come by every Tuesday to offer some stale bread and water - that'll teach them.

Well, it's probably not going to become illegal anytime soon. Even if it is made illegal, parents will still do it.

It's not going to become illegal, and parents will do it regardless sure, but I expect the amount of physically and psychologically scarred children from such corporal punishment to be there all in the same.
I frequently use dark humor and sarcasm. Don't take anything I say seriously. Unless it is.

Actually a puppet of an older player that's been here too long for her own good.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Insane Kidney Mentality wrote:It's not going to become illegal, and parents will do it regardless sure, but I expect the amount of physically and psychologically scarred children from such corporal punishment to be there all in the same.

I've never met anyone without a few psychological scars, if I did I can't imagine I'd like them.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Insane Kidney Mentality wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Well, it's probably not going to become illegal anytime soon. Even if it is made illegal, parents will still do it.

It's not going to become illegal, and parents will do it regardless sure, but I expect the amount of physically and psychologically scarred children from such corporal punishment to be there all in the same.

Well I was spanked and beat many times as a child for doing something wrong, yet I suffered no physical or psychological damage, because that's not what it's meant for. It's meant to instruct discipline, so the child won't grow up like a heathen.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

Well I was spanked and beat many times as a child for doing something wrong, yet I suffered no physical or psychological damage, because that's not what it's meant for. It's meant to instruct discipline, so the child won't grow up like a heathen.

I was beat once as a child, for attempting a round-house kick upon my father. My cousin, in comparison, was beaten quite often for behavior issues, of which are more aggressive and outspoken this day.

Children aren't a single entity, there are variables, and a single input shall not general a single output. They will react differently, and their reactions may differ from the preferred intention.

The Mighty Warrior Horse
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mighty Warrior Horse » Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

I wasn't beaten.....
I turned out great.
So did my 2 brothers and sisters.
They're disciplined, and quite sucessful.,
Frisivisia wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:
We have reports that Osama bin Laden was killed by a man by the name of 420SkillzSwag1337.

Divair wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
You wouldn't thin the herd by reducing the producers. Duh. You reduce it by eliminating the unproductive.
So we eat the poor.
*nods*
Conserative Morality » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm
Because marijuana is a gateway drug. If you smoke it too often, it opens up portals to Satan.

Ifreann wrote:
There is much we can learn from the noble bonobo, and I fling my shit at all who disagree.
I could not give a hoot about how left or right you are
Just do not make bad tasting brownies
Mallorea and Riva should be a toaster

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:32 pm

I was beat once as a child, for attempting a round-house kick upon my father. My cousin, in comparison, was beaten quite often for behavior issues, of which are more aggressive and outspoken this day.

Children aren't a single entity, there are variables, and a single input shall not general a single output. They will react differently, and their reactions may differ from the preferred intention.

So you're using the fact that children aren't a single entity and the fact that many variables exist to justify taking an entire school of discipline off the table across the board?
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun May 26, 2013 6:33 pm

It just depends. Spanking in itself is not wrong. It becomes wrong when it's used by parents to project their anger/frustration of something else on their child or children.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:It just depends. Spanking in itself is not wrong. It becomes wrong when it's used by parents to project their anger/frustration of something else on their child or children.

Well obviously, I don't think anyone's promoting the idea that children are stress balls and slapping them around is a great way to spend an evening.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

So you're using the fact that children aren't a single entity and the fact that many variables exist to justify taking an entire school of discipline off the table across the board?

I'm saying that using corporal punishment as a means of discipline may work for some, but not as well for others.

I'm not particularly advocated its removal or promotion, here.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun May 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:I do not believe that parents have the right to do physical harm to their children.

This violates bodily sovereignty, as they didn't consent to anything.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm saying that using corporal punishment as a means of discipline may work for some, but not as well for others.

"I am very much against spanking and corporal punishment in general."

This followed a snarky comparison to archaic methods of dealing with prisoners.

What you did not say at any time before this exact moment is "[corporal punishment] may work for some."

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun May 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:It just depends. Spanking in itself is not wrong. It becomes wrong when it's used by parents to project their anger/frustration of something else on their child or children.

Well obviously, I don't think anyone's promoting the idea that children are stress balls and slapping them around is a great way to spend an evening.

What I mean is that people who thinks spanking is bad are wrong. It can be beneficial and it doesn't necessarily harm the child. But it can easily become a form of abuse, a way for the parent(s) to relieve stress, even if that's not their intent.

New Octopucta
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Octopucta » Sun May 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Spanking between the ages of 3 and 8 is okay as long as it's fair punishment and not a parent venting his/her anger. If you need to spank your child anytime after that, then you've failed to adequately parent your child and you have no one to blame for his/her unruliness but yourself.

Also, wow. Yahoo Answers vs. a blog. If you don't have an actual source, then just don't bother posting one rather than taking up a bunch of space with bullshit.
Last edited by New Octopucta on Sun May 26, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun May 26, 2013 6:43 pm

What a cheeky thread title ...
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun May 26, 2013 6:43 pm

It's based in an awful mentality and creates a climate of distrust.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Vazdania wrote:This violates bodily sovereignty, as they didn't consent to anything.

Consent is not an integral aspect of punishment. Violation of sovereignty is actually a pretty big part of most forms of punishment.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun May 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Vazdania wrote:This violates bodily sovereignty, as they didn't consent to anything.

Consent is not an integral aspect of punishment. Violation of sovereignty is actually a pretty big part of most forms of punishment.

They broke no law though!
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
What I mean is that people who thinks spanking is bad are wrong. It can be beneficial and it doesn't necessarily harm the child. But it can easily become a form of abuse, a way for the parent(s) to relieve stress, even if that's not their intent.

Absolutely, I didn't misunderstand you I was trying to back you up. Nobody should ever mix up sadism and parenting.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun May 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Vazdania wrote:They broke no law though!

That's probably why their parents and not a judge are punishing them.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Sun May 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

"I am very much against spanking and corporal punishment in general."

This followed a snarky comparison to archaic methods of dealing with prisoners.

What you did not say at any time before this exact moment is "[corporal punishment] may work for some."

I stated my opinion, a bit of sarcasm, and that single inputs do not necessarily lead to single outputs.

What are you asking of me?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General