NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Controllers: Which type of gun restriction is better?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should gun control be more targeted at the people or the guns themselves?

People (regulation of gun OWNERS, licensing, background checks, mental health requirements, etc)
81%
Guns (handgun/assault weapons bans, magazine bans, etc)
19%

Total votes : 158

Golambia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Golambia » Thu May 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Golambia wrote:Except that you can't grow guns and even if you make your own, you wouldn't be able to smoke/snort/inject it away. And if you were to use it, you'd be arrested for illegal possession of a firearm.

Banning guns has worked well in Europe, it can work in America with enough time.

Anyone with a decent machine shop and some understanding of how to read blueprints can make a gun. I'm pretty sure I could make a simple level action rifle.

And no shit, you can't chop a revolver up into lines and snort it.

Not sure what you'd do with the rifle. You can't carry it around, it would be too visible (and so you can't really commit crimes) and if you defend your house with it, you'll get charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Thu May 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Gun control should be like the internet, where there is a terms and conditions window that people must read and accept before they can purchase a gun.

It's bound to work!
I frequently use dark humor and sarcasm. Don't take anything I say seriously. Unless it is.

Actually a puppet of an older player that's been here too long for her own good.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Yjafjord wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
Anyone with a decent machine shop and some understanding of how to read blueprints can make a gun. I'm pretty sure I could make a simple level action rifle.

IF YOU REALLY TRIED, I'M SURE YOU COULD SOMEHOW SNORT UP A REVOLVER! :rofl:

I am, trying to imagine that, all I can think of is pain....You know though, someone out there, being drunk or high enough, probably tried.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Thu May 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Golambia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Not sure what you'd do with the rifle. You can't carry it around, it would be too visible (and so you can't really commit crimes) and if you defend your house with it, you'll get charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

Nevermind the fact that it is more likely to explode in your hands rather than shoot anybody.

There is a reason why homemade weapons haven't taken off, yet.
I frequently use dark humor and sarcasm. Don't take anything I say seriously. Unless it is.

Actually a puppet of an older player that's been here too long for her own good.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Insane Kidney Mentality wrote:
Golambia wrote:Not sure what you'd do with the rifle. You can't carry it around, it would be too visible (and so you can't really commit crimes) and if you defend your house with it, you'll get charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

Nevermind the fact that it is more likely to explode in your hands rather than shoot anybody.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/2 ... 08533.html That may very well soon change.

Yjafjord
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yjafjord » Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Bilgeria wrote:
Yjafjord wrote:

I am, trying to imagine that, all I can think of is pain....You know though, someone out there, being drunk or high enough, probably tried.

for that matter, why not snort gunpowder?
maybe even light a match up after to smoke a roll! :rofl:
So says the Glorious General Secretary of the Undefeated Military Party of Yjafjord whose every step makes the Earth tremble, whose resplendent body inspires awe in all who view, and whose very voice causes orgasms and pregnancies

note that my nations have next to nothing to do with my views, they are simply for fun
nations: Hulfya, Soviet Murka, Gulki, Empire of Konh, The Complete Lunatics, and Yjafjord

Bilgeria wrote:
Yjafjord wrote:

LEADER OF THE CULT OF THE TREES! the silliest religion possible

Golambia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Golambia » Thu May 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Bilgeria wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/2 ... 08533.html That may very well soon change.

It's made of plastic. Plastic melts. You'll be lucky if you can shoot twice without losing your hand.

Also, it can only shoot one bullet.

Not to mention that it has no barrel so no precision.

Don't forget that it doesn't even have the intimidation factor, a nerf would look scarier.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu May 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Golambia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

A break action pistol wouldn't be difficult either.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Yjafjord wrote:
Bilgeria wrote:

for that matter, why not snort gunpowder?

peeps ahead of you there :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown-brown

I wonder if its explosive... :D

Golambia wrote:
Bilgeria wrote:

It's made of plastic. Plastic melts. You'll be lucky if you can shoot twice without losing your hand.

Don't forget that it doesn't even have the intimidation factor, a nerf would look scarier.

Very true. But the tech is there, and how long do you think it will be until that changes? 1 year. 5? With the amount of people working on it, wouldn't be surprised to see by end of year. people are also looking into semi/automatic fire. I think there was a youtube video with someone that had a prototype of a semi fight multi round printer gun.
Last edited by Bilgeria on Thu May 23, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golambia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Golambia » Thu May 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Golambia wrote:Not sure what you'd do with the rifle. You can't carry it around, it would be too visible (and so you can't really commit crimes) and if you defend your house with it, you'll get charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

It still might explode in your hands.

Also, no guns means almost no school shootings, a teen won't be able to make guns and won't be able to take his parent's guns since they most likely won't have one.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Golambia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Also, no guns means almost no school shootings, a teen won't be able to make guns and won't be able to take his parent's guns since they most likely won't have one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-575 ... 3-injured/
Don't need a gun to kill children.

Yjafjord
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Yjafjord » Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Bilgeria wrote:
Yjafjord wrote:for that matter, why not snort gunpowder?

peeps ahead of you there :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown-brown

I wonder if its explosive... :D

oh god, my sides!
So says the Glorious General Secretary of the Undefeated Military Party of Yjafjord whose every step makes the Earth tremble, whose resplendent body inspires awe in all who view, and whose very voice causes orgasms and pregnancies

note that my nations have next to nothing to do with my views, they are simply for fun
nations: Hulfya, Soviet Murka, Gulki, Empire of Konh, The Complete Lunatics, and Yjafjord

Bilgeria wrote:
Yjafjord wrote:

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Golambia wrote:
Bilgeria wrote:

The whole point about homemade weapons is that they are complete pieces of shit. It's Russian Roulette when it comes to whether you or your target is going to get shot, and even if you do manage to fire the damned thing, you're not going to hit anything past throwing distance and all you are going to end up with is a broken makeshift gun.

It's honestly something of last resort that very desperate people would use, and only if they want to get killed in the most humiliating way possible.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Golambia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Some guy built in Russia built a fully functional full auto auto AK out a bunch of old shovels and vodka. I think I could manage a simple pistol and make it well enough to still have my fingers.
Last edited by Blazedtown on Thu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vikings.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Thu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Bilgeria wrote:
Golambia wrote:It still might explode in your hands.

>Injured.
>Dead.

There's a difference.

Yjafjord
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Yjafjord » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Some guy built in Russia built a fully functional full auto auto AK out a bunch of old shovels and vodka. I think I could manage a simple pistol and make it well enough to still have my fingers.

this is Russia you are talking about, the masters of salvage. i mean look at this
http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=7e7bf7ab3439
some drunk Russian with his buddies got that working after about 60 years of neglect.

Bilgeria wrote:
Yjafjord wrote:

Golambia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Golambia » Thu May 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Bilgeria wrote:

Except that they didn't die.
"Injured"

Also, there's plenty of knife crime London. There's a lot less gun crime, because guns aren't easy to obtain them. Having to build your own gun takes time and is risky if you've never done it before. Not to mention that you can get arrested simply for owning a gun, you're not going to go out with one in public.

Blazedtown wrote:

Source that shit.

And some guys built an atomic bomb, I guess it's entirely safe for me to try making C4. Just because some people manage doesn't mean everyone will manage.
Last edited by Golambia on Thu May 23, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Thu May 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Do you know how difficult gunsmithing is? Even if you're making crude weaponry out of shit parts you got from a local hardware store?

That shit is more likely to kill you than the poor bastard you're aiming at. The only way that Russian would've gotten things right is if he worked with firearms before and had a decent skill in machinery, otherwise, you're pretty much attempting to half-ass Russian Roulette.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Bilgeria wrote:

>Injured.
>Dead.

There's a difference.

Read the rest of the article.
One month later, just a few hours after Zheng Minsheng was executed for his crime, another man, Chen Kanbing wounded 16 students and a teacher in a knife attack at another primary school in Fujian. The following month, on May 12, a man named Wu Huangming killed seven children and two adults with a meat cleaver at a kindergarten in Shaanxi Province. That attack was followed by an August 4 assault by Fang Jiantang, who killed three children and one teacher with a knife at a kindergarten in Shandong Province.

In 2011, a young girl and three adults were killed with an axe at an elementary school in Henan Province by a 30-year-old man named Wang Hongbin, and eight children were hurt in Shanghai after an employee at a child care center attacked them with a box cutter.

For my last post, AR15, 600 rounds. Don't know if its accurate or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRUpmMIQy8

I can buy a lower 80% unlicensed, make it myself, and by the rest of the parts without a background check at a gun shop or a gun show. No serial. You just need the machine tool to finish it. You can rent space or find someone who will let you use it. It would be perfectly legal to own in the state its made.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Golambia wrote:
Bilgeria wrote:

Except that they didn't die.
"Injured"

Also, there's plenty of knife crime London. There's a lot less gun crime, because guns aren't easy to obtain them. Having to build your own gun takes time and is risky if you've never done it before. Not to mention that you can get arrested simply for owning a gun, you're not going to go out with one in public.

I can make an effective shotgun, for about 50 bucks. No gun smithing, no fabrication. Its very rudimentary, 1 shot, reload.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu May 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Do you know how difficult gunsmithing is? Even if you're making crude weaponry out of shit parts you got from a local hardware store?

That shit is more likely to kill you than the poor bastard you're aiming at. The only way that Russian would've gotten things right is if he worked with firearms before and had a decent skill in machinery, otherwise, you're pretty much attempting to half-ass Russian Roulette.

I'm a pretty good machinist and have access to better quality materials than the local hardware store.

Golambia wrote:
Source that shit.

And some guys built an atomic bomb, I guess it's entirely safe for me to try making C4. Just because some people manage doesn't mean everyone will manage.

http://izismile.com/2012/12/06/homemade ... _pics.html
Go Vikings.

Golambia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Golambia » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 pm

You'll notice that when people died, a lot less people died than in shootings.

As for that 3D printed AR-15, I heavily doubt that since
1) 3D printers can only print plastic
2) Plastic melts.

Certain parts might have been 3D printed but not all of it. There's a reason that the Liberator made the news: it's the first fully 3D printed gun.

You're also forgetting that while the liberator only costs 25 dollars to make, the 3D printer costs 8000 dollars.

Golambia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Golambia » Thu May 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

I'm a pretty good machinist and have access to better quality materials than the local hardware store.

Golambia wrote:
Source that shit.

http://izismile.com/2012/12/06/homemade ... _pics.html

You will need: shovel: $2, Romy sans-barrel AK kit: $200, barrel blank: $30, which brings the total cost of this creation to $232.

"Romy sans barrel AK kit, barrel blank"
it's not made entirely out of shovels, he made the non mechanic parts out of a shovel. And he used a kit to make it. With a gun ban in place, there wouldn't be a kit.

And even if you made a working gun, making bullets is harder.
Last edited by Golambia on Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bilgeria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Bilgeria » Thu May 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Golambia wrote:You'll notice that when people died, a lot less people died than in shootings.

As for that 3D printed AR-15, I heavily doubt that since
1) 3D printers can only print plastic
2) Plastic melts.

Certain parts might have been 3D printed but not all of it. There's a reason that the Liberator made the news: it's the first fully 3D printed gun.

You're also forgetting that while the liberator only costs 25 dollars to make, the 3D printer costs 8000 dollars.

Very, very true. There is no way, that I could feasibly spend 8k on a printer.
But a company can, and so can someone with money.

Insane Kidney Mentality
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Insane Kidney Mentality » Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Bilgeria wrote:
Golambia wrote:Except that they didn't die.
"Injured"

I can make an effective shotgun, for about 50 bucks. No gun smithing, no fabrication. Its very rudimentary, 1 shot, reload.

No rifling, shot barrel unfit for withstanding the pressures of firing cartridges, crude firing pin forged out of cheap parts; is that sounding similar towards your shotgun? Because if it is, it sure is effective alright - as a pipe bomb.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General