NATION

PASSWORD

Sex and Sexual Orientation of NSers

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What's your sex and sexual orientation?

Straight, Male
60%
Straight, Female
4%
Gay, Male
9%
Lesbian
2%
Bisexual, Male
14%
Bisexual, Female
3%
Transgender, Male to Female
2%
Transgender, Female to Male
0%
Asexual, Male
5%
Asexual, Female
1%

Total votes : 1169

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Scholencia wrote:Are you suggesting that sexuality is a choice?

No, that religion is one.

Not really... At least not for me.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 am

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
How big is your sizable portion? ;)

~50%... ;)

I... I... Tiger wood's sexuality was probably maybe .01% Of what he was. I think you need to get that check, Captain Harkness.
password scrambled

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed May 22, 2013 2:04 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
No, that religion is one.

Not really... At least not for me.

It's also not for me, since I don't have one ;)

The Blaatschapen wrote:
How big is your sizable portion? ;)

~50%... ;)

Rawr!
The Blaatschapen should resign

Quarelia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quarelia » Wed May 22, 2013 2:09 am

Condunum wrote:
Quarelia wrote:
To a limited extent, yes. Not saying wholly, or even mostly.

It's almost entirely not, if even slightly. It's something that's developed over the early years of one's life, through various undetermined factors. There's a possible genetic link somewhere.

I agree that the influence is usually minor. However, I know from personal experience that it is a factor.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 22, 2013 2:28 am

Condunum wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:~50%... ;)

I... I... Tiger wood's sexuality was probably maybe .01% Of what he was. I think you need to get that check, Captain Harkness.

Really? Tiger Woods is your example of a very sexual person?
• Call me Makki. •
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
My Political Compass

Lyassa and Nairoa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyassa and Nairoa » Wed May 22, 2013 2:38 am

Condunum wrote:
Quarelia wrote:

It's almost entirely not, if even slightly. It's something that's developed over the early years of one's life, through various undetermined factors. There's a possible genetic link somewhere.

The (in)famous gay gene ?

Scholencia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Wed May 22, 2013 2:53 am

Quarelia wrote:
Scholencia wrote:Are you suggesting that sexuality is a choice?

I agree.

The Balkin States
Envoy

Founded: Apr 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Balkin States » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 am

Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:
Condunum wrote:It's almost entirely not, if even slightly. It's something that's developed over the early years of one's life, through various undetermined factors. There's a possible genetic link somewhere.

The (in)famous gay gene ?

Yes, that. Possibly. Maybe. But probably not.
GENERATION 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation.
Hi... I'm Nicole...

I'm a high school student who enjoys debating with others...

I'm not very conservative at all, and I'm barely considered Christian... Being a lesbian doesn't usually get you the support of your church if they're like mine...

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed May 22, 2013 7:47 am

Kharsus wrote:
The Steel Magnolia wrote:

Their importance to one's life, their severity, their fundamental meaning.

Both can include any of those three attributes. Pedophilia, for example, can have a profound effect on one's life if they are caught and prosecuted, not to mention the effect it has on the prosecutee's victim. I'm not saying they're necessarily equal, but the terms you set were vague enough to have fetishes fit into the definition. Another fetish of note would be furries. My best friend has been a furry for many years now and I have to say it absorbed his life once he started, and changed him like nothing else before.

Hah. No.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed May 22, 2013 7:47 am

Kharsus wrote:You know, the more I think about this, the more I realize that it seems silly to use anything sexual as an identifier for anything really.

I think a better way of thinking would be to think of yourself/ourselves in a non-sexual way, completely throw gender and sex out of the equation, so that we may see ourselves for who and what we really are; who we are as sentient beings, as minds. I've always preferred to think in this way, as sexuality for me has always been purely emotional, at least in its most basic way of thinking. The only purpose sex serves for me is as a bonding link with my partner, as it is a symbol of the emotional union my partner and I share. And when you get to the bottom of it, that's the point really: an emotional bond. So all in all, the sex itself doesn't really matter, it's the bond that counts.

I reiterate. Hah, no, fuck that shit.

You can keep that all to yourself, thanks.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Quelesh wrote:What's the difference? The length of time they last? Both can persist throughout a person's life.

Their importance to one's life, their severity, their fundamental meaning.

"Fetishes" can be very important to a person's life, and sexual orientation isn't necessarily an important part of the identity of some people.

Regarding "severity," both could be severe, or not particularly severe. For example, straight people might be simply unable to become aroused by a member of the same sex, but a submissive may also be quite unable to get aroused when expected to be the dominant partner (or a foot fetishist without feet being involved in some way). And what does it mean for a pansexual to have a "severe" sexual orientation? That sex in general is an important part of their lives?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "fundamental meaning." Attraction to same sex vs. opposite sex and attraction to, say, fat people vs. skinny people both direct a person's sexual desires toward particular types of people. What's the difference in the meaning of these two continua of sexual attraction?

Cometopia wrote:I'm not sure what's going on here anymore but... bisexual female-for-ease's-sake

I'm really uncomfortable as a girl but you know, I'm more uncomfortable as a femme guy. Grew up in a small town. Dumb people. Dumb friends. Only learned about *trans movement as a concept a few years ago. Thought, "welp that's not me, I don't feel like a man in a woman's body, I just feel uncomfortable in a woman's body. I don't want to get all that surgery! I suppose I'm just butch."

Flash to now, and I'm too comfortable pretending to bother being outspoken. I hate me. :?

You are who you are. I don't see a problem with that.

Scholencia wrote:
Not all Christians are straight and/or cis, certainly, though I would say that Christians are at least somewhat more likely to be straight/cis than nonreligious people. This isn't because of anything inherent in Christians, but simply because Christians who are non-straight and/or non-cis are probably more likely to question, and ultimately move away from, their religion than straight, cis Christians (being condemned by many in your own religion, or knowing that you would be condemned if you came out to them, tends to prompt religious questioning and soul-searching).

Are you suggesting that sexuality is a choice?

Basically what Blaat said in the post after yours. Non-straight and/or non-cis Christians are probably somewhat more likely to stop being Christians at some point than straight, cis Christians, given that many, though certainly not all, Christians condemn non-straight and non-cis people.

Condunum wrote:
Quarelia wrote:To a limited extent, yes. Not saying wholly, or even mostly.

The gay->straight continuum may be somewhat akin to the introverted->extroverted continuum, or other personality traits: people have a genetic predisposition, that may be (and may not be) modified somewhat by environmental factors.

This ignores, of course, that for some people, gay/straight is a false dichotomy. Some people lie quite outside this continuum, or encompass points outside it. For some, gender differences are sexually irrelevant.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

The God-Realm
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The God-Realm » Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 pm

The poll is too small my special snowflake category is not included ;~;
Add me on Steam: Hatekindler

Member of: IWW, EF!, La Raza, the KFA, and NSG Senate and Red Army
Esternial wrote:
The God-Realm wrote:No

people who qq over losing a gf over a small penis size are insecure and need to check themselves

Before they wreck themselves?

Or their ex' car.

Kharsus
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kharsus » Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:-Snip-

Keep the idea of living a life where sex isn't important to who we are as people to myself? Explain your logic on this, because from what I've seen, the whole sexual identity/gender thing causes nothing but social problems and alienation.
Last edited by Kharsus on Wed May 22, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you see the red bird fly, you know it is your time to die." ~Old Kharsian phrase

Pro: Personal Freedom (In daily life), Imperial Expansion, Eye-for-an-Eye Justice, Governmental Stability, Economic Supremacy, Single World Government (New World Order)
Against: Theocracy, Political 'Parties', Democracy, Individualism

Emperor: Trax (Tobias)
Standing Lord: Lord Indrim (Harkness)
Treasurer/Chief of Production: Lord Kelrus (Louisse)
Defense Minister: Lord Veston (Frederick)
CP Director: Lord Grayditch (Marn)

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Kharsus wrote:
The Steel Magnolia wrote:-Snip-

Keep the idea of living a life where sex isn't important to who I am as a person to myself?

In a word, yes.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Kharsus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kharsus » Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Ok, explain why. I wasn't saying that as a way to toot my own horn, I was saying it to throw the idea out there to try to get people to think about it as oh, I don't know, maybe a logical, sensible way to think that might help eliminate the problems like this that plague human sexuality in our modern times. (Problems being the alienation that results from sexuality differing from the majority) I'm saying that if people as a whole started thinking like this, the problems wouldn't exist, because no one would care about the physical manifestation of it. And if no one cared, no one would be alienated.
Last edited by Kharsus on Wed May 22, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When you see the red bird fly, you know it is your time to die." ~Old Kharsian phrase

Pro: Personal Freedom (In daily life), Imperial Expansion, Eye-for-an-Eye Justice, Governmental Stability, Economic Supremacy, Single World Government (New World Order)

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Kharsus wrote:Ok, explain why. I wasn't saying that as a way to toot my own horn, I was saying it to throw the idea out there to try to get people to think about it as oh, I don't know, maybe a logical, sensible way to think that might help eliminate the problems like this that plague human sexuality in our modern times.

Denying part of who you are is not going to eliminate any problems.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed May 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Kharsus wrote:Ok, explain why. I wasn't saying that as a way to toot my own horn, I was saying it to throw the idea out there to try to get people to think about it as oh, I don't know, maybe a logical, sensible way to think that might help eliminate the problems like this that plague human sexuality in our modern times.

Algonquin is basically elaborating the main problem with all variations on stoicism. You don't actually remove your passions by failing to acknowledge them, and they tend to resurface in ways that are unhealthy and self-destructive.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Kharsus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kharsus » Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 pm

It's not denying. It's trying to get people to stop thinking of it exclusively as something physical. I.e. not worrying about the tools with which the job is being done, but the reason the job is being done.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Kharsus wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Denying part of who you are is not going to eliminate any problems.

It's not denying. It's trying to get people to stop thinking of it exclusively as something physical. I.e. not worrying about the tools with which the job is being done, but the reason the job is being done.

Did you think we forgot what you actually said?
Kharsus wrote:I think a better way of thinking would be to think of yourself/ourselves in a non-sexual way, completely throw gender and sex out of the equation, so that we may see ourselves for who and what we really are.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

Kharsus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kharsus » Wed May 22, 2013 11:56 pm

Kharsus wrote:

Did you think we forgot what you actually said?
Kharsus wrote:I think a better way of thinking would be to think of yourself/ourselves in a non-sexual way, completely throw gender and sex out of the equation, so that we may see ourselves for who and what we really are.

No, but you forgot this part apparently, which followed right after:
Kharsus wrote: You know, the more I think about this, the more I realize that it seems silly to use anything sexual as an identifier for anything really.

I think a better way of thinking would be to think of yourself/ourselves in a non-sexual way, completely throw gender and sex out of the equation, so that we may see ourselves for who and what we really are; who we are as sentient beings, as minds. I've always preferred to think in this way, as sexuality for me has always been purely emotional, at least in its most basic way of thinking. The only purpose sex serves for me is as a bonding link with my partner, as it is a symbol of the emotional union my partner and I share. And when you get to the bottom of it, that's the point really: an emotional bond. So all in all, the sex itself doesn't really matter, it's the bond that counts.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 am

Condunum wrote:I... I... Tiger wood's sexuality was probably maybe .01% Of what he was. I think you need to get that check, Captain Harkness.

Really? Tiger Woods is your example of a very sexual person?

Uhm, no... Captain Harkness was... DId you not read?
password scrambled

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 am

Condunum wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Really? Tiger Woods is your example of a very sexual person?

Uhm, no... Captain Harkness was... DId you not read?

I apparently misread your post... :blush:
Who's Captain Harkness?
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

New Maldorainia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maldorainia » Thu May 23, 2013 12:15 am

Condunum wrote:Uhm, no... Captain Harkness was... DId you not read?

Who's Captain Harkness?

Doctor Who and spin off reference
The Walrus God of NS (arch-nemesis to Big Jim), plus a really strange Jewish cowboy libertarian conservative (Fusionism) believe in Laissez-faire free trade capitalism. Most people call me Mal, Mald, or Maldo.
Nanatsu no Tsuki is my Big Sis Grumpy Cat. She calls me Maru.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. ----Rod Serling, from "The Obsolete Man".

Zionist, deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 100%
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/270530
I side with ... | Political Compass Chart
No surprise

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 am

Condunum wrote:Uhm, no... Captain Harkness was... DId you not read?

Who's Captain Harkness?

My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:22 am

Kharsus wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Did you think we forgot what you actually said?

No, but you forgot this part apparently, which followed right after:
Kharsus wrote: You know, the more I think about this, the more I realize that it seems silly to use anything sexual as an identifier for anything really.

I didn't. I ignored it because it applies only to you. Surprise, surprise, not everyone thinks like you do.
• Call me Makki. •
My Political Compass

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General